daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #41
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 752

After the standoff in Dec 2011 between the govt, kenha and the contractor about stalling of roadworks in this contract has the contractor made ammends to this road whose construction was supposed to end this year?
Btw this same S.B.I contractor is he not the same who had stalled J.K.I.A-Machakos turn-off section?

Sponsored Links

Old August 10th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #42
Mistah ILL WILL
My Name In Arabic is وليم

Likes (Received): 272

Western road to be expanded to dual carriage

Written by Peninah Njakwe

Expansion works on the Kisumu–Kakamega–Kitale road are expected to begin October this year. The road which dissects Kakamega and Bungoma counties crossing the great Northern road in Webuye will be expanded to a dual carriage.

The expansion of the road is considered critical for the economic growth of Kakamega County as well as to help ease traffic flow on the busy road. The contract is said to have already been awarded to three contractors.

Each contractor will work on a given section of the road. One will build the road between Kisumu and Kakamega, the other one will build between Kakamega and Webuye while the third one will deal with the final section between Webuye and Kitale.

The project being financed by World Bank and the government will cost Sh10 billion.
There has been ongoing road expansion works in urban cities like the 5.5 km long dual carriageway from Jogoo Road stretching to Juja Road and other repair works on the roads. The aim is to ease access and exit from the major cities.

SOURCE : http://www.kenyaengineer.co.ke/index...-dual-carriage

Old August 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #43
KaiserSoze

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuks View Post
After the standoff in Dec 2011 between the govt, kenha and the contractor about stalling of roadworks in this contract has the contractor made ammends to this road whose construction was supposed to end this year?
Btw this same S.B.I contractor is he not the same who had stalled J.K.I.A-Machakos turn-off section?
It's things like this that makes giving road projects to the Chinese a no brainer.
KaiserSoze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #44
mikeislunchin
FREE BUJU/FREE WORLD BOSS

Likes (Received): 85

fuuuuuuuuuuuck SBI. how do they just sit there watching the chinese kick ass in nairobi and then proceed to move so damn slow. i do the summit-kericho trip way too often and the complaints people have are legit.
mikeislunchin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #45
mikeislunchin
FREE BUJU/FREE WORLD BOSS

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARIBU View Post
I like that the Kisumu-Kakamega-Webuye-Kitale road will be given to at least three contractors to hasten completion. It's something that should have been done to the Mau Summit-Kericho-Kisumu route. I can say that the current contractor has done absolutely nothing in the past year on the Kericho-Kisumu road, except for a stretch of tarmack that is less than five kilometers.

multiple contracting sounds good. i like how with the tunnel connecting england and france (chunnel), there was some sort of [friendly, mutually beneficial] competition between the two nations. i saw on Megastructures/Extreme Engineering (i know you all love such shows) that a midpoint was set and that both nations started tunnelling from their sides, in a race to see who will reach the designated midpoint first. i'm sure someone knows more about this than me.

anyway, something similar would've been nice. one team sets off from kisumu, the other from mau summit. who will get to kericho first!!?!?!!?
mikeislunchin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #46
Mintali
Engineer d's art't enjoys

Likes (Received): 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah ILL WILL View Post
Western road to be expanded to dual carriage

Written by Peninah Njakwe

Expansion works on the KisumuľKakamegaľKitale road are expected to begin October this year. The road which dissects Kakamega and Bungoma counties crossing the great Northern road in Webuye will be expanded to a dual carriage.

The expansion of the road is considered critical for the economic growth of Kakamega County as well as to help ease traffic flow on the busy road. The contract is said to have already been awarded to three contractors.

Each contractor will work on a given section of the road. One will build the road between Kisumu and Kakamega, the other one will build between Kakamega and Webuye while the third one will deal with the final section between Webuye and Kitale.

The project being financed by World Bank and the government will cost Sh10 billion.
There has been ongoing road expansion works in urban cities like the 5.5 km long dual carriageway from Jogoo Road stretching to Juja Road and other repair works on the roads. The aim is to ease access and exit from the major cities.

SOURCE : http://www.kenyaengineer.co.ke/index...-dual-carriage

I like
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #47
JARIBU

Likes (Received): 161

I used the Kericho-Kisumu Kericho road in early march and six months later I have been informed that less than ten kilometers has been tarmacked since. At this pace it will take them no less than three years to get all the work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeislunchin View Post
fuuuuuuuuuuuck SBI. how do they just sit there watching the chinese kick ass in nairobi and then proceed to move so damn slow. i do the summit-kericho trip way too often and the complaints people have are legit.
JARIBU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #48
pepe58

Likes (Received): 5

i hate world bank financed projects there is too much meddling and control...i prefer the chinese or japanese...
pepe58 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #49
Mistah ILL WILL

Couldn't agree more ...... Had the Chinese been given this contract ...... We wouldnt even be talking about delays. everyday I thank God for making China a superpower. The west has really nyanyasad us for a long time. To hell with human rights ... get the roads fixed.
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #50
pepe58

the world bank keeps talking about what they don't practice in any capacity...world bank is not at bothered by the stretch of things at the moment...i think its strabag that's building if am not wrong...world bank buffoons like most of us to believe our interests are at heart...they aren't and never will be...
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #51
KaiserSoze

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe58 View Post
i hate world bank financed projects there is too much meddling and control...i prefer the chinese or japanese...
Quote:

Couldn't agree more ...... Had the Chinese been given this contract ...... We wouldnt even be talking about delays. everyday I thank God for making China a superpower. The west has really nyanyasad us for a long time. To hell with human rights ... get the roads fixed.
Well said both of you. The World Bank is to a greater degree an extension of the western governments when it comes to loans & grants to African nations. Their funding dollars are backloaded with prerequisites that make it almost impossible to get a project completed. For instance, if some shadily funded NGO raises questions or claims against the government, the funds immediately stop and hence the work grinds to a halt. What follows is months and even years of back room negotiations & compromises to get it going again. Months later, it's back to square one again.
The west tried to lean on China not to give loans to African nations till the west gives approval. Well, we all know what the Chinese said. These days when I hear that a western government has pledged a loan, I just sneer and forget about it. If Kenyans elect a western puppet, we can all kiss the 2030 Vision goodbye.
KaiserSoze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #52
pepe58

totally agree...kaiser world bank, imf and ifc are an extension of the western government.the problem is that the african politicos can't see a thing or they don't care, since they get kickbacks to continue looting the continent.
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #53
pepe58

kaiser...vision 2030 is a mirage...if you dig alittle on about the 2030vision you will find out it was crafted by the same faces behind world bank,imf.its too get people thinking they can achieve it but the real numbers won't bring close to the numbers of middle income...let's say $11k,they need to support big expenditure on expensive energy that we will need, our industries will increase, yet mitumba is revving in 15th gear...very little industrialisation is being done...epz-agoa is not industrialisation but setting up on cheap labor...if it gets too expensive they move to another country that will do for cheaper.some good will come out with the needed infrastructure upgrading which we need.
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #54
Ŕđđeůx
DrEameR

Likes (Received): 1467

Quote:

They both aren't your friends, but I do agree with you besides the human rights part. "**** human right" would you be okay if that was the mantra during the March elections? Business and develpment are important, but so is protection of the basic rights (the rights that allow you to voice your opinion) every person should have. I didn't mean to go off-topic but I felt as if it were necessary.
Ŕđđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #55
Mistah ILL WILL

Well said both of you. The World Bank is to a greater degree an extension of the western governments when it comes to loans & grants to African nations. Their funding dollars are backloaded with prerequisites that make it almost impossible to get a project completed. For instance, if some shadily funded NGO raises questions or claims against the government, the funds immediately stop and hence the work grinds to a halt. What follows is months and even years of back room negotiations & compromises to get it going again. Months later, it's back to square one again.
The west tried to lean on China not to give loans to African nations till the west gives approval. Well, we all know what the Chinese said. These days when I hear that a western government has pledged a loan, I just sneer and forget about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
If Kenyans elect a western puppet, we can all kiss the 2030 Vision goodbye.
That's typical Agwambo for you. Always trying to please the odiero's.
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #56
Mistah ILL WILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ŕđđeůx View Post
They both aren't your friends, but I do agree with you besides the human rights part. "**** human right" would you be okay if that was the mantra during the March elections? Business and develpment are important, but so is protection of the basic rights (the rights that allow you to voice your opinion) every person should have. I didn't mean to go off-topic but I felt as if it were necessary.
What i meant here was that the ching chong don't care about trivial issues such as civil society bs or gay or lesbian movements which the west always try to attach to loans. they try and steer clear of such issues and focus on getting the job done.
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #57
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ŕđđeůx View Post
When given a loan for a particular project it should be let to run its course without undue interference especially for things that do not directly concern it. Unless the funds for the project are being embezzled i see no reason for interrupting the process. We all know Thika road would not be a reality because one of the contractors has been blacklisted by world bank for their differences outside kenya. We all know uhuru highway would have been expanded by now but the funding was stopped because of differences between the contractor and the financer. Beggars are no choosers for the government went back to them to re-finance the project.
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #58
Mistah ILL WILL

+10 ... you hit the nail home.
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #59
Kinyakankick
Lights of Africa

Likes (Received): 25

And thats why the east is becoming more influencial in africa because they dont force you to do anything with it. Its now yours, waste it if you want but theirs is that you pay back
Kinyakankick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #60
Ŕđđeůx
DrEameR

Likes (Received): 1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuks View Post
When given a loan for a particular project it should be let to run its course without undue interference especially for things that do not directly concern it. Unless the funds for the project are being embezzled i see no reason for interrupting the process. We all know Thika road would not be a reality because one of the contractors has been blacklisted by world bank for their differences outside kenya. We all know uhuru highway would have been expanded by now but the funding was stopped because of differences between the contractor and the financer. Beggars are no choosers for the government went back to them to re-finance the project.
I agree but that had nothing to do with what I was saying.
Ŕđđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote