daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Old August 24th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
häggblom

Likes (Received): 19

Gävle - *UPDATE 16/9*

Have been thinking about doing a photo thread about my home town of Gävle for a along time now, but never got to it...

Until now! So here goes, hope you enjoy, and feel free to ask questions.

All photos are taken by me, but some of them are a couple of years old, but most of them are from this spring/summer!

Some info:
Gävle municipality have 95.000 inhabitants and the city itself 75.000.
Don´t think there are any official metro numbers but i guess the Gävle - Sandviken area would count - around 150.000 then.
Gävle is the oldest city in the historical Norrland (Sweden's Northern Lands), having received city status in 1446.

Gävle is one of Swedens most important harbour cities, and a big industrial city - but as most western cities the industrial part is in decline (at least in employment numbers) and the service and research sector is increasing - for example the GIS-sector is especially strong in Gävle.
Gävle is the capital of Gävleborg County and the regions centre, with region hospital, university-college and so on. Gävle is also a big shopping city both down town and in extern shopping centres with IKEA.

Gävle is just 80 minutes by train away from Stockholm, and just about 1 hour to Arlanda. But for some reason Gävle have not been as success full at getting Stockholmers to move to Gävle, as for example Västerås, Eskilstuna or even Nyköping have been I think.

Here´s a map were you can see were Gävle is situated, as far south as possible in Norrland, but I guess many people think Gävle is much more far away/north just when they hear the word Norrland... Me myself have always thought it is strange how Dalarna belongs to Svealand and Gästrikland to Norrland, when Dalarna is full of mountains and is way less densely populated, and all in all feels much more "Norrland", compeered to Gästrikland, which for most parts is almost as flat as Uppsala slätten but full of pine trees all over instead of open fields...

Anyway, things are still going quite well here in Gävle now, 2010 the population increased with almost 1000 (843), the highest number since the 70´s.

Let´s start the photo tour with the train station, supposed to be one of the largest (the building it self) in Sweden, besides Stockholm, Gbg and Malmö.

The nice surroundings around "Centralplan" the area next to the train station:

On the opposite side of the rail road tracks lies "Hamntorget" with the regional bus station. And our fire station, which is quite famous for it´s architecture - designed by Ferdinand Boberg, 1890.

I think Gävle is one of the Swedish cities which was hit the hardest during the "rivningsvågen" the urban renewal wave of the 1950´s-70´s, during the super heydays of post war Sweden. But since I like almost all sorts of architecture, I actually think some of the buildings from that era can look quite good and certainly have it´s quality! Especially if they are well maintained or even somewhat rebuilt and modernised.

Right in the city centre of Gävle there are just a few old building left (nice gems they are!) but I still think Gävle city centre looks and works well.

But here are some of Gävle´s many parking garages, and they arn´t nice at all! :/

Some of Gävle municipality buildings.

Rådhuset - City hall, from 1784, but burnt down in the big city fire 1869, but was rebuilt exactly as it looked like before.

Stadshuset - City hall number two?... hum..

And kommunhuset - Gävle municipality building - from the early 70´s...

Nice view of "Gavleån" Gävle river.

The theatre - just as the City hall it is placed in the big esplanade - Rådhusesplanaden which runs north - south through down town. It was a part of the grand city plan which was created after the last big city fire 1869. There where two more esplanades planed - but in the eastern the railway was built later and the western was never built at all.

One of my favourite buildings in Gävle, "Gamla Grand" Old Grand Hotel. Built in 1901 for the big "Gävle industri utställning" - Gävle fair 1901.
Have been owned by the municipality for quite along time, but was last year sold to Elite group hotels - and is right now being renovated to a premium hotel again

The "other" Grand Central Hotel - CH, which was built some time after the one above.

Konserthuset - "Gävle concert house" built in 1997.

The brick building is the old "Post and telegraph building".

The old harbour warehouses, a nice area! And next to it the old inner harbour was situated - but now Gävle´s own little "Hammarby sjöstad" is growing!

Think I´ll do an update or a "part 2" later!

AndersF liked this post

Last edited by häggblom; September 16th, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
häggblom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 24th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Boscorelli

Great! Thanks for posting!

Was anything left of the old town after the big fire? I suppose the city before the fire was mostly built out of wood?
Boscorelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #3
häggblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
Great! Thanks for posting!

Was anything left of the old town after the big fire? I suppose the city before the fire was mostly built out of wood?
Not much actually... :/ hehe...
I think it is one of the biggest city fires in Swedish history - almost 10.000 people was left homeles after the fire. (That was A LOT of people in the mid 1800´s)
500 buildings was burnt down, 130 warehouses and 4 bridges.
Pretty much everything north of the Gävle river was burnt down, and at least 2/3 of Gävle was situated there, it was most "slums" on the south side...

Old August 25th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #4
SimsPlanet2

Likes (Received): 186

Gävle looks realy beautiful. I saw the center area from the train, passing by on my way to Sundsvall/Stockholm. I wondered how it is possible that Gävle looks so big on Google Maps and also in real life, compared to Uppsala with 2 times more population (almost same size on maps).
SimsPlanet2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Skrapebook

Likes (Received): 644

Gävla eld att brinna då!
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #6
AndersF

Likes (Received): 71

I should be honest, I found Gävle quite boring when I visited the city for the first time this spring (having passed through countless times on train or the E4). But then again, I missed this neo-baroque dream of a hotel. Seems worth spending a night there just for the sake of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by häggblom View Post
One of my favourite buildings in Gävle, "Gamla Grand" Old Grand Hotel. Built in 1901 for the big "Gävle industri utställning" - Gävle fair 1901.
Have been owned by the municipality for quite along time, but was last year sold to Elite group hotels - and is right now being renovated to a premium hotel again
AndersF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Wover

Likes (Received): 44

I was there last week (partially due to this thread) and found it quite a cozy town. The park is really nice! And it's quite lively and bright as opposed to some other small towns in the area .
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 648

Thanks for the tour, it's the first time I see Gävle on this forum. Gävle seems to have some notable architecture.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

My latest drawings:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670500
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #9
dj4life

Likes (Received): 12591

Gävle looks cozy, but lacks of some remarkable architecture. However, even a few great buildings such as the hotel can give it a specific charm. Thank you for the presentation.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #10
häggblom

Thanks for your input´s!
Cool to hear that some people actually just been here!

And Wover; I assume you are talking about Stadsträdgården/Boulognerskogen - which indeed is nice and quite big! Or maybe your thinking of some other park - the Esplanade right through down town? but that's not really a park in the normal sense.

And AndersF feel free to tell more about your visit, and do you maybe come from some town north of Gävle, since you travel "through" so many times?

Please also see part 2 just coming up now!

Last edited by häggblom; September 16th, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Geborgenheit
Liberté

Likes (Received): 1809

Wonderful! Especially esplanade and the theatre.
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #12
häggblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geborgenheit View Post
Wonderful! Especially esplanade and the theatre.
Thanks!
Yeah, I think the Esplanade in Gävle is quite special and big! When even some of the cities monumental buildings is placed in it: the City hall and the theatre.
The esplanade really is a gem
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Geborgenheit
Liberté

Likes (Received): 1809

Indeed!

So there are 2 parks in Gävle: Esplanade and Park around Gavleån river ?
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #14
AndersF

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by häggblom View Post
And AndersF feel free to tell more about your visit, and do you maybe come from some town north of Gävle, since you travel "through" so many times?
Yes, I live in Jämtland for the moment. I'm born and raised in Sundsvall.

It must have been a grey day in early april I was there, when the trees was still naked after the winter. I mostly was around the central square which I found too large and empty with some generic gallerias surrounding it. I liked the harbour better, and Södra Skeppsbron.

Hopefully it will be a sunny summer day next time I visit the city, or in december, just before christmas.
AndersF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #15
häggblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersF View Post
Yes, I live in Jämtland for the moment. I'm born and raised in Sundsvall.

It must have been a grey day in early april I was there, when the trees was still naked after the winter. I mostly was around the central square which I found too large and empty with some generic gallerias surrounding it. I liked the harbour better, and Södra Skeppsbron.

Hopefully it will be a sunny summer day next time I visit the city, or in december, just before christmas.
A, I see. Well yeah "Stortorget" in early spring or on a cold n grey fall day ain´t always super nice I guess...
And Sundsvall of course have got tons of old and grand late 1800/early 1900 buildings still left in the city. Gävle on the other hand was as I said hit very hard by the urban renewal wave, but there are some old buildings still left and they are to quite grand and nice!

And then down town/the city centre is actually not the part that was redeveloped the hardest in Gävle, the entire southern part of the inner city "Söder" was TOTALLY redeveloped already in the 1950´s! With a brand new street grid and layout and every thing. The "Söder-saneringen" was internationally noticed and was just as "Vällingby, ABC-staden" visited by architects and city planers from all over the world back when it was new.

Söder "the southern inner city" which was untouched by the last big city fire in 1869 and still had some of it´s medieval street plan left (Gävle being the only city in Norrland founded in the middle ages) and mainly consisted of small wooden houses from the 1700s and 1800s. That of curse meant that it was in very bad nick and over populated and not at all what the local government in Gävle wanted to represent the city in the golden 1950´s! So it was completely redeveloped and since it even got a partly new street grid many of the hundreds of years old street names removed and replaced with new ones and so on...

And also Brynäs (kind of mix between inner city and suburb - part of Gävle) was more or less totally redeveloped in the 60-70´s...

Söder-saneringen 1958.

Last edited by häggblom; September 24th, 2012 at 08:38 PM.