daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.96 average.
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #141
muddycoffee
E = MC

Likes (Received): 24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by di Livio

I heard Bed was demolished because the sewerage system couldn't cope, so rather than replace the sewers they just moved out. Has Bed relocated or have the managers bought a new concern or something?
That's the general story. It seems that rebuilding the whole building would have been cheaper than putting new sewers in.

I think Bed fizzled out and the club scene is much smaller in the city at the moment. They still have Gatecrasher1 (republic building)

By the way, well done for finding that picture on my Lost Cinemas of sheffield website..
muddycoffee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #142
S.Yorks Capital

Likes (Received): 1

The New Retail Quarter, Park Hill flat's Urban Splash re-furbishment and the National Miners Union building re-development all go before the planning commitee today for approval. Also I don't mean to get anyone excited and I could be wrong but I was sure I saw two small diggers on the spot where St. Pauls Tower is meant to be. Could construction finally be starting?
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #143
jozblade
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 4

Great stuff.

What is the National Miners Union building project about? any pics??
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #144
Unisol

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycoffee
That's the general story. It seems that rebuilding the whole building would have been cheaper than putting new sewers in.

I think Bed fizzled out and the club scene is much smaller in the city at the moment. They still have Gatecrasher1 (republic building)

By the way, well done for finding that picture on my Lost Cinemas of sheffield website..
BED didn't fizzle out. It was at the height of it's popularity when it closed. Probably one of the best clubs in the land, especially for the DJ lineups.

Can't understand why they didn't relocate. Yes, club culture has died off a lot but Bed succeeded in attracting a slightly older, more discerning crowd i.e. people that had grown up through the club culture.

Gatecrasher1 is an embarassment to the city now. At least Bed had some credibility.
Unisol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #145
S.Yorks Capital

Likes (Received): 1

The NUM project has changed I think so I could'nt tell you.
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #146
Lord_Bertrum
Be the Love Generation

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unisol
BED didn't fizzle out. It was at the height of it's popularity when it closed. Probably one of the best clubs in the land, especially for the DJ lineups.

Can't understand why they didn't relocate. Yes, club culture has died off a lot but Bed succeeded in attracting a slightly older, more discerning crowd i.e. people that had grown up through the club culture.

Gatecrasher1 is an embarassment to the city now. At least Bed had some credibility.
It's true, Bed was consistently pulling in the punters right up until it's "refurbishment" as I remember it being billed at the time. Well I guess in a way it was refurbish, just not how I was expecting it. What was the venue called before it was called Club Generation (just before being called Bed)?
Lord_Bertrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #147
jozblade
Unregistered User

How did they do in with the planning applications?
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #148
Unisol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Bertrum
It's true, Bed was consistently pulling in the punters right up until it's "refurbishment" as I remember it being billed at the time. Well I guess in a way it was refurbish, just not how I was expecting it. What was the venue called before it was called Club Generation (just before being called Bed)?
Music Factory.
Unisol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #149
di Livio

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycoffee
It's a great site. The city used to be swarming with attractive, archietcurally impressive cinemas, then TV happened. But there are still some real gems like the Abbeydale.

According to the Independent, Sheffield is one of the hippest student locations in the country. (I'd agree with Dave White's comments wholeheartedly.)

Quote:
SHEFFIELD

Thanks to The Full Monty, many people still think Sheffield is a grim skeleton town populated by nude steelworkers, but this is increasingly far from the truth. The UK's fourth largest city is a) as far from the coast as it's possible to get in England, b) not at all bothered about that, and c) one of the most happening, exciting and all-round pant-moistening places to be a student in the UK. The relics of decaying industry have been relegated to the outskirts and the city centre is so much fun-on-a-stick that no one even cares that much about the leviathan Meadowhall shopping centre anymore. Boozeries range from soul-eating chains to crumbly locals, and Sheffield students' union has its fingers in more pies than a clumsy baker, most of them lavishly flavoured with student entertainment. Its club nights fill five nights a week, invariably sell out and cover all tastes in tunes from the brazenly naff Pop Tarts to cutting-edge indie at The Fuzz Club. It's also fiercely political, firing up campaigns left, right and... well, just left, actually, and completely overshadowing its larger, poorer neighbour, Sheffield Hallam. Fewer cities have better town/gown relations than this, and students and locals frequently mingle on community projects (including the "let's all get together as a community and drink the bar dry" kind).

Best for: Unionists
Cost of a pint: 1.80
Cost of accommodation: 53/pw
Nightlife: ****
Music scene: *****
Union shenanigans: *****
Pulling potential: Fair's fair, it's half and half.
Notable Alumni (Sheffield): David Blunkett MP; Joanne Harris; Eddie Izzard; Linda Smith
Notable Alumni (Sheffield Hallam): Nick Park

"Sheffield is the ultimate student town. On the one hand it's a big city with lots going on. On the other, the locals are really friendly, and it's so easy to get out into the beautiful Peak District. And as if that wasn't enough, it's one of the cheapest places in the UK to be a student."
Dave White, President of the Sheffield University students' union
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #150
Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozblade
How did they do in with the planning applications?
thats a very good question; I looked on the planning site y'day and not a dicky about any of the three (Carver St, NRQ, Parkhill). Maybe its been put off to next week cos everyone thought, **** it, it's August and we're all on holiday.
Alfie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #151
paulmat
∂NNED

Likes (Received): 15

Yeah. I had a look at that cinema page, and it's quite interesting. There were quite a few cinemas in barkers pool wern't there.
paulmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #152
paulmat
∂NNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
thats a very good question; I looked on the planning site y'day and not a dicky about any of the three (Carver St, NRQ, Parkhill). Maybe its been put off to next week cos everyone thought, **** it, it's August and we're all on holiday.
Hmm. I thought i'd seen somewhere that they don't go up infront of the planners until monday, the 21st. But I can't find anything about it now.
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #153
Starslight

Quote:
Originally Posted by di Livio
According to the Independent, Sheffield is one of the hippest student locations in the country.
Being an ex-student based in Sheffield myself I would have to say they are spot on and long may it continue!
Starslight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #154
AndrewC

walking down eccy road you often see the odd 'bohemia' type, i saw an old 50's greaser guy walking down the street, only he was about 60 now and probably dressed in denim and had a slicked back quiff when he was young.
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #155
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 56

When I was very young, in the 70's I remember that the 'greasy ted' look was still popular with older guys in their 40's and 50's. They all used to smoke and drink too much too. A bit like '8 Ace' from Viz.
Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #156
muddycoffee
E = MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmat
Yeah. I had a look at that cinema page, and it's quite interesting. There were quite a few cinemas in barkers pool wern't there.
Yes but not neccesarily all at the same time.

If you include the films which were shown at the albert hall ( where cole brothers ) now stands

There was cinema House,
Regent aka Gaumont, Later replaced by the odeon now kingdom,
and possibly the Albert Hall ?

It is very interesting to note some of the districts which had several cinemas.

Hillsborough ...
1) Hillsbro park cinema ( now netto )
2) Kinema ( now car park )
3) Phoenix ( now Maplins )

Heeley..
1) Heeley Electric palace ( now ponsfords extension )
2) Heeley Green aka the Tudor ( recently burned down potter's snooker )
3) Heeley Coliseum ( now machine mart )

Attercliffe
1) Adelphi ( still standing )
2) Attercliffee Palace, was on attercliffe road
3) The Pavillion was on attercliffe common
4) Theatre royal was on staniforth road
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #157
muddycoffee
E = MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner
When I was very young, in the 70's I remember that the 'greasy ted' look was still popular with older guys in their 40's and 50's. They all used to smoke and drink too much too. A bit like '8 Ace' from Viz.
Like a boozy elvis!

I know of one of those, in crookes. He knows everything there is to know about elvis presley, and claims to have been born on the same day. He looks quite good to say he is supposed to be in his 70s though.

Its the same thing with older ladies, who still do their makeup the same as when they were young. You used to see elderly ladies who had plucked off their eyebrows and had to draw them on every day, and because they were less steady it looked a right wonky mess.

I have always had a theory that people generally tend to wear the same kind of clothes throughout all their lives,

As you have the greasers still around as pensioners,
You have people in their 90s who still potter around doing the gardening in an old suit and tie
you have your white haired pony tailed rock dudes in their 50s and 60s,
and some people will always wear tshirts with rock bands on.

so this latest generation are going to be in some right trouble falling over their baggy jeans which are half way down their arses and trainers with no laces when they are 78 years old.
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM   #158
paulmat
∂NNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmat
Hmm. I thought i'd seen somewhere that they don't go up infront of the planners until monday, the 21st. But I can't find anything about it now.
I've just Seen on Look North (Surprisingly they had an article about it), it is today that these go infront of the city planners.

They didn't show anything about the NUM building though. Anyone know what the plans are?
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:43 PM   #159
Starslight

Some good news at last.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/5270054.stm

Seems the council has approved both Park Hill redevlopment and the NRQ. Hope it all starts gathering pace soon!!!!!
Starslight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #160
paulmat
∂NNED

Bit off topic this, but..

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=9769004

Leeds people make me laugh :-P

Tags
development summary

Rate This Thread