daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 18th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #181
JD47

Likes (Received): 189

I agree C. What a loss and an awful tragedy. RIP and wish his family well. It must be awful to lose one member of your family let alone three.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 25th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #182
thebig C

Likes (Received): 125

Four changes in the Irish Squad. But, still a few players who are slightly past it hanging on.

I reckon this could be Kidneys last season in charge, especially if we play like last year!

My favourites to succeed him would be Conor O'Shea, Michael Cheika and Brian McLaughlin....although only McLaughlin is realistic.

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #183
JD47

Great win today. Played really well. We can win the grand slam now. Should be inspired to go on and win it. Here's hoping
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:32 PM   #184
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
Great win today. Played really well. We can win the grand slam now. Should be inspired to go on and win it. Here's hoping
Italy also did us a great favour by beating France today which puts the championship within our grasp. We just have to beat England and we're in pole position to do it. Believe!
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #185
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
Italy also did us a great favour by beating France today which puts the championship within our grasp. We just have to beat England and we're in pole position to do it. Believe!
Its in our hands if you ask me. I was called arrogant in the sports field for believing that Ireland can win the Grand Slam. I still do think and believe we can win it. Is feidir linn
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #186
Dvblvnia

Quote:
Its in our hands if you ask me. I was called arrogant in the sports field for believing that Ireland can win the Grand Slam. I still do think and believe we can win it. Is feidir linn
Well we're one of three who can. Only England or Italy can win with a Grand Slam and we can stop one of them next week with the sort of performances like in 2011 for the last match of the Six Nations. We hammered England who came to Dublin that day to complete a Grand Slam, we can do it again this year. I'd also say that Italy will be out of energy by the time we meet them in the Stadio Olimpico (btw, isn't it such a great stadium? Definitely should host a Heineken Cup final to grow the sport in Italy) and we could complete the Slam there. The big imponderable for us is France (provided we win against England), a Welsh team with its reputation under fire could do us a great favour and come out with a brilliant display there next week. They don't have the sort of fear we have of playing them in Paris - Wales have beaten them there a few times en route to winning the 6N. They need to break their losing streak some time and a redeeming win over France would be a great opportunity. This could then end French interest in the tournament and they'll send a second-string team to Dublin a la Racing Métro who sent a bad team to Thomond Park in the Heineken. Beat them here and the cup could be as good as ours!

JD47 liked this post
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #187
JD47

Quote:
Well we're one of three who can. Only England or Italy can win with a Grand Slam and we can stop one of them next week with the sort of performances like in 2011 for the last match of the Six Nations. We hammered England who came to Dublin that day to complete a Grand Slam, we can do it again this year. I'd also say that Italy will be out of energy by the time we meet them in the Stadio Olimpico (btw, isn't it such a great stadium? Definitely should host a Heineken Cup final to grow the sport in Italy) and we could complete the Slam there. The big imponderable for us is France (provided we win against England), a Welsh team with its reputation under fire could do us a great favour and come out with a brilliant display there next week. They don't have the sort of fear we have of playing them in Paris - Wales have beaten them there a few times en route to winning the 6N. They need to break their losing streak some time and a redeeming win over France would be a great opportunity. This could then end French interest in the tournament and they'll send a second-string team to Dublin a la Racing Métro who sent a bad team to Thomond Park in the Heineken. Beat them here and the cup could be as good as ours!
The Stadio Olimpico is a beauty of a stadium. Its terrific. Should definitely host a Heineken Cup final. Probably will do to.

I don't agree with you though when you say that France could bring a second team to Dublin. If France lose to Wales, I think they will be out for blood. I don't think they could afford to send a second team to Dublin just for the fear of being embarrassed. A French win against the Welsh could be ok because we can beat France and then the Welsh will be looking for blood against the English.

I think its down to us and England now. I think we can really do this(I know lads, JD just being arrogant again, right?)

Dvblvnia liked this post
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #188
Dvblvnia

[QUOTE=JD47;99956316]The Stadio Olimpico is a beauty of a stadium. Its terrific. Should definitely host a Heineken Cup final. Probably will do to.

I don't agree with you though when you say that France could bring a second team to Dublin. If France lose to Wales, I think they will be out for blood. I don't think they could afford to send a second team to Dublin just for the fear of being embarrassed. A French win against the Welsh could be ok because we can beat France and then the Welsh will be looking for blood against the English.[quote]

That actually sounds reasonable as well - they're a tempestuous people and their rugby team epitomises their extreme nature - they can be utterly brilliant and then terrible often in the same match! The Welsh could do us a great favour by beating the English after another loss to France and make the championship more winnable for us. That's providing Scotland don't mess everything up and beat us!

Quote:
I think its down to us and England now. I think we can really do this(I know lads, JD just being arrogant again, right?)
Well it very well could be, and based on next Sunday's result, it could be just one of us who can realistically win the whole thing. I wouldn't call it arrogant, I would call it confidence infused with optimism!

JD47 liked this post
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #189
JD47

Quote:
Well it very well could be, and based on next Sunday's result, it could be just one of us who can realistically win the whole thing. I wouldn't call it arrogant, I would call it confidence infused with optimism!
I like you Dvblvnia. I think you talk a lot of sense. You remind me of myself

Lets hope we can be cocky and brag come this time on Monday, me, you, BigC and the rest of the Irish boys
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #190
Dvblvnia

Quote:
I like you Dvblvnia. I think you talk a lot of sense. You remind me of myself
Thanks!

Quote:
Lets hope we can be cocky and brag come this time on Monday, me, you, BigC and the rest of the Irish boys
I know! While I tend to live a bit of a cloistered life on SSC, sticking to the Irish forums, a nice win over the English would be the perfect opportunity to start making waves in our near neighbour's forums!
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #191
JD47

Quote:
I know! While I tend to live a bit of a cloistered life on SSC, sticking to the Irish forums, a nice win over the English would be the perfect opportunity to start making waves in our near neighbour's forums!
Haha, they would be sick. Go in all guns blazing
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #192
Dvblvnia

Well today's result puts France beyond a championship hope. They truly were terrible against Wales, particularly when playing at home against an unconfident team. It was very close and tactical in the first half and for much of the second half. George North turned it into a Welsh win and Leigh Halfpenney consolidated that. I would say France will change a lot, go to London in search of a win and possibly extract that which would be a great help assuming we win today against England at home. It was a possible title decider after the events of last week but now it seems to be even more of an important fixture. If we win it we are still on for the three fruits of the 6N - Triple Crown, Championship and Grand Slam and England would be denied at least two of these prizes. I don't think Wales have it in them to win it this year, France is a beaten docket, England are full of confidence going to Dublin, Scotland have had one good performance and the Italians have had their one great performance against France. As long as we Irish beat England, this championship is ours to lose.
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #193
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2127

FFS Ireland! Too many mistakes and errors! There's the Triple Crown gone

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #194
JD47

Mistakes cost us big time today. Unlucky with injuries but still no excuses. Our handling errors are same old same old.

I think its the end of the line for Kidney to be honest. I held my tongue for the Wales game and hoped that we could pull something off.

Oh well, bring on Scotland.
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #195
Dvblvnia

Very disappointing result - it was a close match which we could have taken, particularly when ROG could've kicked a penalty down the line and put us in a position to score a try. Instead he went for the posts and missed which I feel was the moment in which the match was lost for us. It's also annoying to lose our winning streak at home to England. France better come back fighting in London and keep the championship on for us.
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #196
JD47

It will hit me hard tomorrow that we lost
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #197
thebig C

Pretty gutted! Not unexpected though, England had an easier opening game and it has to be said looked a far leaner and fitter side.

The next couple of games against France and Wales could be crucial for everybody...should England loose either of these then the race is wide open!

Just to pick up on what was said above....I was at the Leinster Clermont game and Leinster were fairly dire. They are begining to come good in the league but I just have a feeling they will have another slip up before seasons end!
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #198
Dvblvnia

What a weekend for Irish rugby! First, congratulations must go to the women's team for securing their first ever (?) Triple Crown and putting themselves in pole position to win a Grand Slam. Perhaps they can do for women's rugby what Katie Taylor is doing for women's boxing and bring it up towards the level of attention of men's. Secondly, it's hard to believe that we're 3 weekends into the Six Nations and France are at the bottom of the table with nul pointes. I really thought they'd put together a quality team and probably had a good thrashing out of their problems in training over the last two weeks. Turns out they haven't really and it doesn't seem as if they care about winning. We can only hope that this attitude persists for our match and we too can get a win over them and leave them on course for a Wooden Spoon. Wales Italy was a quite a drab affair with the rain in Rome hardly helping matters. I'm really disappointed to see the spirit which saw them get a famous victory over France evaporate as time goes by (especially when it gives Wales a better shot at the championship than us). I'm also struck by the collapse in the Italian scrum. In times gone by, even when Italy was worse than they are now, they have had a good scrum. They were bossed in that department today which I found surprising. Lastly, in club matters, c'mon Leinster! Shorn of pretty much all international players (except Madigan who really should be on the bench tomorrow) they produced a sterling display of why they are the best club side in Europe. Lots of discipline, excellent skills, buckets of belief and the desire and ability to go for the TBP at the death made for a resounding end to a busy day of rugby. Now that Ulster have lost again (commiserations belfastuniguy, citybus, thevanishin etc.) we have a chance to top the league again this year.
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #199
thebig C

Well, thats the end of that for another year Genuinely not looking forward to France or indeed Italy for that matter. Words are inadecute to describe how abject the Irish performance was at all levels. There is talk today that sporting history was made, it was the first time a team with over 80% possession managed to lose.

I feel bad for Jackson as I have no doubt he will get alot of the blame. His kicking was undoubtedly poor, but, other aspects of his game weren't bad are argueably he shouldn't have been played given thats he's not even first choice Ulster fly half. I feel sorry for the lad as this debut won't hold happy memories. On that point, this was a rather big game to blood a new player in!

O'Gara 10mins on the pitch managed to make Jacksons kicks look good. He has been a great servant of Irish Rugby in the past but now I think he is past it. The consensus seems to think Madigan or McFadden should be the bench kickers in the event that something happens to Sexton. I also felt Heaslips Captaincy must be in question, he is too anonymous for the roll. Amongst the other players, there really weren't any who had a good game....Rory Best was appalingly bad at the line-out!

The one bright spot was Gilroy....again! Definately the wave of the future!

In short, Kidneys contract is up at the end of the 6 Nations, it should not be renewed. I like the guy, I think he's a nice honest decent man but with many of the old guard players, the golden generation who never quite lived up to their potential retiring, I think we need new leadership for the cold wind of change that will blow through the Ireland camp. Remember 2015 is not that far away!

C
Old February 25th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #200
thebig C

On another note, it isn't all doom and gloom. I came accross this proposed development by Connaght Rugby for the Showgrounds in Galway:

http://www.3dgraphichouse.ie/index.p...property_id=80

It will be done in 2 phases with the covered terrace being built first followed by the cantileavered seating above.

It looks very good for a team of Connaghts size. However, in the long term the Showgrounds has limited potential for growth. The overall site is very irregular, both engs are very hemmed in by a road and houses and even the existing main Greyhound stand juts into a housing estate directly behind and can't be extended. The other option in Galway is Terryland Park, especially given Galway United are in financial dire Straights.However, in typical Irish fashion, even though Terryland Park is in a less built up area they somewho contrived to build new houses so close to the existing stands so that there is minimal room to expand!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: