daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #1
odlum833

Likes (Received): 620

Trapattoni could be sacked "within days"

After the embarrassing and disgraceful performance against Germany, not to mention Euro 2012, the Irish Independent is reporting today that regardless of a win against the Faroe Islands the manager's fate is almost certain.

Quote:
Trapattoni could be sacked 'within the next week'

REPUBLIC of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni, pictured, no longer has the full and total support of the FAI and could be sacked within the next week.

A win tomorrow night against the Faroe Islands is unlikely to safeguard the Italian's future in the job, the Irish Independent has learnt.

Despite the potential €1.7m cost of getting rid of him, the FAI is considering dismissing Trapattoni as soon as the team and officials return from our World Cup qualifier in Torshavn.

While the manager's future has not been discussed by board members since Friday's humiliating 6-1 thrashing at the Aviva by Germany, it is expected to be raised within days.

An extraordinary board meeting is likely to be pencilled in before the end of the week, just as soon as the team returns from the Faroe Islands on Wednesday.

A senior FAI source said Trapattoni "would not be sacked between matches" and that it could only happen after tomorrow's game.

"That would not happen in any international set-up," said the well placed source.

"Whatever happens won't happen until after tomorrow night.

"The board hasn't met since Friday night's game, but I know that none of the members have spoken to Trapattoni, either."

The FAI source added: "If he is to go that could all happen within days of the team returning home from the Faroes."
http://www.independent.ie/national-n...k-3258912.html

Please may this happen. Leave behind this bullsh!t and move on. The man clearly has lost his mind. He is out of his depth.

Bring back Mick McCarthy. Although he was sacked himself so we have a fair idea of what his answer might be

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 15th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #2
JD47

Likes (Received): 190

See if Arry will take the job. That would something else.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #3
odlum833

I'd love to see Roy Keane as manager. For entertainment alone it would be worth it.

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 224

Tonight's result could very well result in a stay of execution, particularly with Sweden falling to Germany in similar fashion. It's 4-0 in Berlin and with our 4-1 in Torshaven (sp?) we are now second in the group, ceteris paribus.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #5
JD47

I dont think the FAI have the money to sack Trap.
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #6
odlum833

Can the FAI afford not to sack Trap? Real question. No one is going to attend these games to watch this style of play.

I think he is gone.

Old October 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #7
JD47

I think that Trap will be around for another little while. I think that the games in March will be his last chance as coach. We lose and we are out and its goodbye Trap but if we win, I cant see him going for another while.

I have a question. Would you guys sack Trap if he got us to the world cup?

To be fair to him, he has gotten us to a major tournament. I know we were shit at the Euro's but we got there which is a start. I didn't expect us to win a game at the Euro's but I did expect us to have a go and play good football. That's the frustrating thing about Trapattoni.
Old October 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I think that Trap will be around for another little while. I think that the games in March will be his last chance as coach. We lose and we are out and its goodbye Trap but if we win, I cant see him going for another while.
Well you're right about that, JD! The FAI had a meeting this evening and decided to keep him on.

Quote:
I have a question. Would you guys sack Trap if he got us to the world cup?

To be fair to him, he has gotten us to a major tournament. I know we were shit at the Euro's but we got there which is a start. I didn't expect us to win a game at the Euro's but I did expect us to have a go and play good football. That's the frustrating thing about Trapattoni.
It's hard to say. He seems to be a great coach to get us to tournaments. We were in the play-offs of the World Cup and got to the Euros. However we were shown up badly at the finals. Something similar could happen if and when we get to Brazil - we could get 4-0, 5-0 defeats in our group there which would be painful to experience. He seems to be a bit too conservative in his player selection and maybe if he picked Shane Long, James McCarthy, Seamus Coleman, James McClean etc. we would play better and have a greater chance of qualifying.

Hopefully the Germany/Faeros matches have been a turning point and we're going to at least come second in this group.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #9
JD47

The real question I think people should ask is would they want to qualify for a major tournament and lose every game or would they not want to qualify at all. I for one would love to qualify and lose every game rather then not be there at all. We were awful at the Euros but you have to admit, the buzz running up to it was amazing.
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #10
odlum833

That's bollix JD. How can we compete with this system!? Hoof the ball up the pitch. That is ALL it is.

Crap football. Caveman football. We trounced the Faroes because we PASSED the fcuking ball on the GROUND and picked some of the right players. We played football. Do you get that? Had we done that in the Euro's we would not have had the problems we had.

Now I hope we qualify. BUT this is not the guy to take us to another tournament. End of.

Last edited by odlum833; October 18th, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old October 25th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #11
thebig C

Likes (Received): 127

Thats a bit strong Odlum. There is definately merit to JDs arguement. If we were playing awful football but getting results nobody would mind. The trouble is we are playing awful and not even getting results!

Criticism of Trapp aside there is a worrying lack of fighting spirit amongst the players. Just look for contrast at Norn Iron.....being unlucky to draw away to Portugal. They don't have a particularly great squad but they play as a team and they look like the give a damn!

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #12
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
That's bollix JD. How can we compete with this system!? Hoof the ball up the pitch. That is ALL it is.

Crap football. Caveman football. We trounced the Faroes because we PASSED the fcuking ball on the GROUND and picked some of the right players. We played football. Do you get that? Had we done that in the Euro's we would not have had the problems we had.

Now I hope we qualify. BUT this is not the guy to take us to another tournament. End of.
Its not bollocks Odlum at all. Trap is a results man. He is all about results. We are not good enough. I would much rather watch us get a scrappy 1-0 then to play well and lose and be heartbroken like in Paris. We lost 6-1 to the second best team in the world. If we had another manager, I still think the score could of looked the same. We dont have the players. I think the expectation is to high in this country. Yes Trap could call up a few players and I think he should but I still dont think that would help us.

Anyway the FAI dont have the money to sack him anyway. We are stuck with this guy so we better just get used to it and support him and the team. Who knows, we could still get second.
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #13
thebig C

Likes (Received): 127

Actually JD, whilst I agree in a sense that this is the worst squad of players we've had in 30 years, I do think that with a bit of heart and passion plus some tactical nouse they could get better results. Likewise, if you look at the younger lads there are some decent players on the cusp of breaking through!
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #14
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Actually JD, whilst I agree in a sense that this is the worst squad of players we've had in 30 years, I do think that with a bit of heart and passion plus some tactical nouse they could get better results. Likewise, if you look at the younger lads there are some decent players on the cusp of breaking through!
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying we cant improve under anyone else. My point is that Trap is a results man and if that leads us to a championship, then I am happy.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: