|daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one|
|November 4th, 2012, 07:23 AM||#1|
Philly sports fan
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Likes (Received): 58
Glassboro is a borough in Gloucester County. The population is around 18,000. Glassboro was settled in 1779 by a glassmaker, and glassmaking was the dominant industry in the community until the 20th century. Nine glassmaking companies poerated in Glassboro over the years.
Glassboro is the home of Rowan University. Founded as Glassboro Normal School in 1923, it was renamed Glassboro State College in 1958. Following a gift of $100 million by Henry and Betty Rowan in 1992, the largest gift to a public college at the time, the school became Rowan College, and because Rowan University in 1997.
Buildings on Main Street.
The old First National Bank building, on High Street at Main Street. The structure was built in 1926.
Bethlehem United Church of Christ, where Union Street splits from Main Street. THe church was built in 1863.
Houses on Academy Street.
Buildings on High Street.
Trinity Bible Church, on Main Street. The church was built in the 1880s.
The Heritage Glass Museum, on High Street. The museum resides in the 1925 former Glassboro Title & Trust Company building. This structure is on the site of the Harmony Glass Works, which dated back to 1813.
The Glassboro Theatre, on High Street. The theater was built in 1928 as the Roxy Theatre. It closed in the 1970s.
Bunce Hall, on the campus of Rowan University. Bunce Hall was built in 1923 and was the first building on campus. The building was named for Edgar J. Bunce, a former president of the University.
Hollybush, also known as the Whitney Mansion, near Whitney Avenue on the campus of Rowan University. The house was built in 1849, and served as the residence of the president of Rowan University until 1998. Hollybush was the site of the Glassboro Summit Conference, which was a meeting in 1967 between President Lyndon B. Johnson and Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin.
Houses on Main Street.
A house on Main Street at Longmere Avenue.
|glassboro, new jersey|