daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Development Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:25 PM   #21
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 9

Glad to see a new thread was created for this, the old thread was like beating a dead horse.
zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:36 PM   #22
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 2

don't mock it til you try it
valantino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:40 PM   #23
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6356

and the bonus is they can't fight back!!
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #24
camel_trainer
Have vision. Think big.

Likes (Received): 0

The negativity is annoying. I think it's because there are so many people in here who think they are smarter than everyone else. Really, many of them are just cowards who hide behind a screen name that gives them false confidence. Predicting failure is the easiest thing in the world to do. Cynics are a dime a dozen. F**k 'em.

I'd love to see this incredible building in my city and I hope it works out. I think a lot of people in the city will be very excited to see this happen.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services!
Homer: Woo-hoo!
camel_trainer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #25
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Well said.

Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #26
Martinsizon

Likes (Received): 1

it had to be told
Martinsizon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #27
valantino
The Greatest

Quote:
The negativity is annoying. I think it's because there are so many people in here who think they are smarter than everyone else. Really, many of them are just cowards who hide behind a screen name that gives them false confidence.

What are you smokin'?

Isn't TrumpToronto hiding behind a screen name and not the dozens of industry experts that have expressed concerns on the validity of this project with all the secrecy enveloping it.

Quote:
Predicting failure is the easiest thing in the world to do.
HUH? most definitely not in our market

Last edited by valantino; August 24th, 2006 at 05:47 AM.
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #28
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by valantino
What are you smokin'?

Isn't TrumpToronto hiding behind a screen name and not the dozens of industry experts that have expressed concerns on the validity of this project with all the secrecy enveloping it.

HUH? most definitely not in our market
I think he is refering to the unthinking masses who state their negative opinions because they get some odd self gratification out of saying "I told you so" when the bad does happen.

Being positive or "hopeful" as camel trainer said does not equate to ignorance. Some people see the glass if half full while others see it as half empty. No doubt the fluids for this tower's glass are hovering right around the middle.
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #29
Taller, Better
Administrator

Canadians do, traditionally, thrive on watching other Canadians who take a chance fail. Americans were not traditionally like this and they encouraged people to think big
and take chances. You see a lot of this automatic pessimism in the local press- people
seem primed for risk-takers to fail. In a way it is representative of online contests for the ugliest building in Toronto.... instead of the most beautiful building in Toronto. A lot of people prefer the negativity.
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #30
valantino
The Greatest

^I know exactly what he meant

personally, I find all this blind optimism annoying but, in almost all cases, have refrained from deriding without provocation those who do not share my more cautious approach

can't imagine how boring a place this would be if all ideally shared the same half full mentality
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #31
Toronto06
New Yorker in TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptoronto
Jeez. Could there be a more positive thread out there? If it were dead... I wouldn't still be working on it and the sales office would be closed. This board just always amazes me with its negativity (with a few thankful exceptions).

I've been working on this project for 3 years now and for 3 years, between the media, the Toronto real estate industry and folks on this board, our team has always had such resistance and negativity thrown our way. And yet, since we opened for sales 2 years ago, we've sold more real estate $-value than any other condo development in Toronto. Yet, the negativity and rumours still flow from some in TO. There are folks who for some reason do not want this project to succeed. It baffles me. This is a Toronto-based development team, and a project that will employ many during its construction and many more following completion. Like other Trump properties, this building will become a tourist draw as well. And that is a bad thing for Toronto?

The hurdles that have been overcome for this project to have reached the stage that it is at are remarkable. And honestly, sales have been going very well as of late. All I can say is stay tuned. We're doing everything we can to make this building a reality.
show me something tangible that shows three years worth of work

and i (and many many others) stop bein negative towards this project

Old August 24th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #32
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto06

and i (and many many others) stop bein negative towards this project

Why bother?
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #33
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
^I know exactly what he meant

personally, I find all this blind optimism annoying but, in almost all cases, have refrained from deriding without provocation those who do not share my more cautious approach

can't imagine how boring a place this would be if all ideally shared the same half full mentality
Or half empty .. also gets boring!
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #34
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Quote:
True, but it is a bit of an oxymoron to come onto a skyscraper site and be flag bearers for project failures. Perhaps they should join www.detachedbungalows.com.
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #35
rbt

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Lots of projects, perhaps even a majority, are around for 3 years before they even get onto the market let alone well into construction.

The Four Seasons plan was well underway in late 2004 when the existing building was sold to the Saudi Prince (negotiations, actual sale happened later). In April 2005 we found out about the plans for the new hotel. Meaning all of the finances, partnerships, etc. would have been worked out by that time.

Lining up Menkes, Lifetime, and Halcyon as co-developers in the new Four Seasons Hotel would take some time.

Good chance the Prince had staff doing a feasibility study before SARS hit.

Last edited by rbt; August 28th, 2006 at 09:41 PM.
rbt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #36
Taller, Better
Administrator

There is really nothing anyone can do but wait and see which way it goes. The project is not dead (as people three months ago were claiming) and it is not a 100%
guaranteed "Go". Everything else at this point is just conjecture. As far as we have been told, the project is viable and going ahead. People saying they know otherwise are just guessing.
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #37
trumptoronto

[QUOTE=valantino]What are you smokin'?

Hiding behind a screen name? No more than anyone else here. What are you infering?

"Industry experts" in Toronto seem to be negative towards anything that involves a bit of risk... until it becomes succesful despite them, and then they jump on the bandwagon. Look, we've had doubter's from the very beginning. Yet, we've been very succesful in spite of the naysayers.

And secrecy? What secrecy? No more than any other project. We just haven't taken the smoke and mirrors approach to getting a building developed. We have a much more business-minded approach with this building rather than using traditional developer-over-stating-bravado. We don't believe in making statements unless there is truth behind it.

Sure, we're hopeful of hitting certain sales milestones, but it doesn't always go according to plan. This is a $500-million building. It is both a larger and more ambitious undertaking than any other building under development in Toronto. Things don't always go in a straight line towards completion. But we're moving in the right direction.

Truthfully, we have sold more of the hotel condominiums than we initially expected, while the residential sales grew slowly. But as of late, as the viablity of the project has become much more certain, the residential sales pace has picked up considerably. It's all good. And honestly, I'm feeling much more certain that this building will start construction soon. A lot of pieces to the puzzle have to fall into place, but it's looking very promising. When we have an announcement to be made... I'll let you all know.
trumptoronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #38
orangeman
Power is everything!!

What does any of this have to do with the Trump Tower development. My wish is that any and ll posts that have nothing to do with the TT could be deleted (inclusing this post of mine) leaving a fresh and informative thread.
orangeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #39
CanadianN00b

Thank you TrumpToronto for that very enlightening update, as I for one am greatly looking forward to such an exciting development for such a wonderful city. Please feel free to keep us up-to-date!
CanadianN00b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #40
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman
What does any of this have to do with the Trump Tower development. My wish is that any and ll posts that have nothing to do with the TT could be deleted (inclusing this post of mine) leaving a fresh and informative thread.

??! What are you talking about? Of course they are about the Trump Tower!

Tags
toronto, trump