daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old November 18th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #1
jayboy

Likes (Received): 0

Birkenhead skyline more telivised than Liverpool

I am not joking, whenever there is an interview ,politician local councillor Joe Anderson pop star they always get filmed with that funny square building across the water as the backdrop, our waterfront is never shown, imagine if Manchester had our waterfront they would bust a gut to show it at every opportunity. Google best waterfronts , World or European guess what Liverpool is nowhere to be seen.
jayboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 19th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #2
tomo90

Likes (Received): 175

Thats because a Liverpool councillor isnt going to go to the Wirral to be filmed because they are a Liverpool councillor and the issues that they will be discussing will be about Liverpool.
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #3
jayboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo90 View Post
Thats because a Liverpool councillor isnt going to go to the Wirral to be filmed because they are a Liverpool councillor and the issues that they will be discussing will be about Liverpool.
The mayor of new york city was televised on new jersey shore the other day discussing new york matters with a great backdrop of new york city, do you think our waterfront is publicised enough?
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #4
kennyrouge
blank

Likes (Received): 247

Got to think of the tunnel fare as well mate !
kennyrouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #5
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboy View Post
politician local councillor Joe Anderson pop star
Truly the renaissance man.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
sternslovchild

Likes (Received): 26

Stand them on top of the ferry terminal then with an angled camera.
sternslovchild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Tom Hughes

Likes (Received): 164

A nonsense thread...... a few interviews with the Lord Mayor has hardly shifted the balance as to which waterfront is more televised or recognisable. Our waterfront appears on TV daily..... not to mention its appearances elsewhere on film and other media. If you think our waterfront is little known then I'd suggest Birkenhead's is a complete non-entity.
Tom Hughes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #8
jayboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hughes View Post
A nonsense thread...... a few interviews with the Lord Mayor has hardly shifted the balance as to which waterfront is more televised or recognisable. Our waterfront appears on TV daily..... not to mention its appearances elsewhere on film and other media. If you think our waterfront is little known then I'd suggest Birkenhead's is a complete non-entity.
If its not lack of exposure then can you tell me why the waterfront is not rated in world or european best skylines, or do we just think its great when in acctual fact it is viewed from far and wide as very ordinary at best?.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #9
Martin S
LIVERPOOL

Likes (Received): 550

I'm not sure that the argument isn' t the other way round. It often seems that any article about Liverpool or Merseyside has to be illustrated with a picture of the Liver Building as if there was nothing else in Liverpool. William Brown Street, Hope Street, the Albert Dock, Exchange Flags and even Liverpool One could be brought into use to show a bit of variety. One of the best would be an interview conducted in the Panoramic restaurant with the huge cityscape behind. Show there is a bit more to this city.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #10
jayboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
I'm not sure that the argument isn' t the other way round. It often seems that any article about Liverpool or Merseyside has to be illustrated with a picture of the Liver Building as if there was nothing else in Liverpool. William Brown Street, Hope Street, the Albert Dock, Exchange Flags and even Liverpool One could be brought into use to show a bit of variety. One of the best would be an interview conducted in the Panoramic restaurant with the huge cityscape behind. Show there is a bit more to this city.
good reply you are on the same wavelength as me, anything that showcases the city is great but as i was looking at world and european waterfronts my message was specificaly about Liverpool waterfront
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #11
Tom Hughes

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
If its not lack of exposure then can you tell me why the waterfront is not rated in world or european best skylines, or do we just think its great when in acctual fact it is viewed from far and wide as very ordinary at best?.
Not rated by who/what? I'm not sure that there are many more recognisable waterfronts in Europe. I think I have visited all major ports in Europe and I would challenge anyone to recognise most of them before our own. In terms of a worldwide scope the options open up..... but even then a relatively small number are instantly recogniseable. Your claim was that Birkenhead was getting greater coverage based on a few interviews..... I think that's nonsense.
Tom Hughes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Richard_A

I think the Liverpool skyline has appeared on television quite a bit. From the torch relay to Kim Catrall's family quest to Newsnight to Good Cop to any number of LFC/EFC fixture broadcasts.

I get the sense it is now very much on the media radar - it's quite cinematic so it makes their job a little easier. Almost every time Liverpool is mentioned on TV now, the skyline gets a quick look in. Camera crews and Directors are clearly enjoying using it.
Richard_A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Richard_A

Quote:
It's probably because people around the world won't rate it so highly. There are any number of bigger, more impressive skylines.

In terms of skylines, Britain and Europe in general were in a state of impoverishment for decades before and after World War 2. Whilst places like New York continued to shoot up, Liverpool, and the national economy, stalled.

In British terms, the Liverpool skyline is very special. In European terms it is noteworthy. However, in world terms it is not really THAT special.

So, I think you're being a bit parochial in your outlook.

Google world's best waterfronts and look a the image results. Although, I think you may actually find the odd Liverpool shot in there too - it does have visibility.
Richard_A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #14
SteH

Likes (Received): 61

In terms of his busy schedule, I think Joe Anderson's time isn't best utilised going back and forth through the tunnel every time he needs to give a television interview.
SteH no está en línea   Reply With Quote