daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #1
häggblom

Likes (Received): 19

Gävle - part 2.

Here comes part 2:

This is ONE of my favourite views of Gävle, part of "Södra Skeppsbron".

Some of the nice buildings along the north side of Staketgatan, all built for the growing upper class/businessmen around year 1900. This is also one of very few street-scapes in Gävle where there really are a lot of old buildings still left!

This plot is the only on this part of Staketgatan where a nice old apartment building haven been replaced... in the 60´s I would guess.

And some more of what the 50´s - 70´s gave us! My myself being quite interested in that period of architecture and city-planing, I´m of course also interested in both older and newer!

The police building. Quite the shoebox, it also used to be dark brown, but was made light blue in the 90´s I think.

And a picture of what once stood there... That was how things was done in Sweden at that time...

Lots of same looking windows on this building...

This building was designed by the same trio which one year later (1962) made Åhlens at Sergelstorg, Stockholm. I think there actually are some resemblance.
And as with many buildings in this area (next to Rådhuset - city hall) there is a fifth floor but it is "indragen" so it won´t over shadow Rådhuset.

Typical down town Gävle street scape.

This 1960´s bank office building I really like! Superb quality!

This I actually think have some Stockholm or Göteborg feel to it.

Nice, but kind of small scale building, probably from right after the big city fire.

The new (2006) Uni/college library

One of few new buildings right in down town. But quite nice - especially I like the scale of it 7 and 5 floors. And it´s just on a "backstreet" also.

And finally some pic´s from "Gävle strand" the old inner harbour industrial area which since 2005 (I think...) is being redeveloped to Gävles own little Hammarby sjöstad or Västra hamnen or Eriksberg or so on...

The idea for this transformation is actually from the late 80´s! But then they just had started (cleared the area of all the old industrial buildings and built a new bridge over the Gävle river, when the big economic (and especially in the building sector!) recession hit Sweden in the early 90´s. So then nothing happened for over 10 years.

I think the over all planing of the area is really good, with a brand new and quite long canal (a big marina is coming next year ) the big and popular park and so on. But the scale of the developments this far have mainly been to small scale I think :/ but just about 1/3 of the area is this far completed and it seems it will increase in scale with time, also more shops/cafés and so on

Quite a lot under construction right now, and a lot more just about to start soon

The "Fullriggaren" highrise with shops, restaurant, sky bar, hälsocentral m.m. It´s also very eco-friendly and have won some prizes for that. For example the balcony railings is made out of some kind of semi transparent solar panels.

AndersF liked this post

Last edited by häggblom; September 18th, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
häggblom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 17th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #2
dj4life

Likes (Received): 14219

Great pictures of Gävle! Thank you very much for representing this city in the forum, Häggblom. Finaly, Gävle gets a good coverage here, too.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Italiano95

Likes (Received): 132

Yea, awesome pictures Häggblom, and nice update from the "Gävle Strand" area!
Italiano95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #4
häggblom

Thanks guys!

Will maybe, when I have time, try to do some kind of thread or update with all (that i know of ) projects in and around Gävle.

And probably some photo threads from other cities and towns, that I recently visited.
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Kapetan
how yes no

Likes (Received): 245

Häggblom! Gävle Strand

Didn't know there was sth like that in Gävle, but I have to admit that I haven't spent any time in exploring Gävle until now...

Do you maybe have some information about the old town, are there any reconstruction plans for buildings the fire has destroyed?
Kapetan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #6
mhkl

Likes (Received): 17

Sweden is so nice and cozy.
mhkl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Jape
Resurrected User

Likes (Received): 51

Nice presentation! Judging be those Gävle resembles very much Finnish mid-size Towns in all aspects (square-grid streets, 60's shoe boxes, plain contemporary architecture, waterfront developmtens, etc.). Remove a few posh pre-WWII blocks more and those could be easily from Jyväskylä, Kuopio, Pori, Lappeenranta or Oulu.
Jape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Geborgenheit
échappées belles

Likes (Received): 2014

I like old buildings. But modern architecture is a catastrophe. Anyway, thank you for your pictures !
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #9
AndersF

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by häggblom View Post
Here comes part 2:

This 1960´s bank office building I really like! Superb quality!
Yes, nice to see some good example of 60s archtecture.

I also like the Södra Skeppsbron area.

As for the police station, does it exist any police station in Sweden that looks good?
AndersF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #10
dj4life

Likes (Received): 14219

Polishuset in Kungsholmen, Stockholm?

image hosted on flickr

Polishuset by skrotmumrik, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Stockholm_2011.08.21-28_033_klein by yuuka1, on Flickr

dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #11
häggblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersF View Post
Yes, nice to see some good example of 60s archtecture.

I also like the Södra Skeppsbron area.

As for the police station, does it exist any police station in Sweden that looks good?
Hehe yeah! Isn´t the police building in Östersund quite famous for being ugly also? And yes, the old part of the police HQ on Kungsholmen is very nice indeed, but then there are Kronobergshäktet and so on also ;P.

And many many Swedish towns and cities have recently built new police buildings, and there were a discussion about building a brand new one here in Gävle also but in the end it was decided to just renovate the existing one instead...
Old September 26th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #12
AndersF

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by häggblom View Post
Hehe yeah! Isn´t the police building in Östersund quite famous for being ugly also? And yes, the old part of the police HQ on Kungsholmen is very nice indeed, but then there are Kronobergshäktet and so on also ;P.

And many many Swedish towns and cities have recently built new police buildings, and there were a discussion about building a brand new one here in Gävle also but in the end it was decided to just renovate the existing one instead...
I actually don't know about Östersund. I live in Åre which will get a new police station soon. The old one's located in a post-modern building. The same in Karlskrona and Örnsköldsvik's resembles the one in Gävle.
Ugliest of all is Sundsvall police station, housed in an early 80s monster that whas redeveloped early to mid 00s. It's in two different styles that just doesn't fit together.
But yeah, Kungsholmen looks good

Feels like I'm getting off topic though.
AndersF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #13
jonasry

Likes (Received): 58

Thought I should add this image of an apartment block in Andersberg, Gävle which I took a few months back.

image hosted on flickr

Rainbows over Andersberg by Jonte--, on Flickr

AndersF liked this post
jonasry está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
sweden