daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #161
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2814

and another one here... a 23 floor residential tower by allies and morrison. embassy gardens by ballymore is in the background.

gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 26th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #162
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 369

I'm impressed by a lot of what I'm seeing. This is very NYC, but more spacious and green. I love the brick:glass ratio. The floating streetlights are a congenial touch.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #163
Daviegraham
Davie

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
I love the brick:glass ratio.
Agreed, I always worry these redevelopments will becomes walls of glass.

This all looks quite fantastic.
Daviegraham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #164
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
No sorry Bricksy its just you being your ignorant self as per usual. Yes there is over development of the sight and you pulling out your ignorant wish list how you would likes things to look like from google earth assa nothing.

So just to get you up to speed.

This site has been crumbling for the best part of 25 yrs, various schemes have come and gone, the previous Irish owners ( like most Irish developers) were practically having money thrown at them so they paid over the odds for this site. To make there money back they planned to overdevelop the site with around 3,000 units. Now due to hysterics from the usual mob up the river they were allowed to build towers anywhere on the site so instead of having a large tower in the station or smaller ones at the back of the site that would have allowed more room at ground level but they had to cut the height and we all know when developers are forced to cut height because of heritage hysterics they are going to bulk up the shorter plans.

Now you should know the GLA & local planning authorities being pragmatic realised to get the whole Nine Elms and Vauxhall area off the ground and restore the Power station , slight overdevelop here was the best option. The site is now owned by various Malaysian funds. As has been mentioned this Heygate MKII (yes I suppose from someone who has never seen BPS or the Heygate in real life the Heygate is rather blocky and rectangular and the Simpson plans are also blocky and rectangular therefore they must be the same) that is the first phase will partly fund the rather large park and riverwalk and restoration to the actual power station, with the other equally as dense parts partly funding the much needed Northern Line extension that is vital to the whole regeneration of this mile stretch land between BPS and Vauxahll.

As much as we would love to sit in splendid ignorance and say nah this is rubbish what they should do is plant lots of pretty trees. Yes in things like Sim City you can do this but in the real world things cost money. I'm sure you could write and suggest it to the Malaysian pension fund partly funding this that they should loss money for their pensioners because it would look much better from google earth with a bit more space around it.

Until people like yourself realise there is a real world out there and there are constraints on this real world that effect things like this your comments will just continue to look ignorant and childish. Yes we would all like an ideal world but sadly this doesn't really tally in the REAL world.
I hope you realize what you just did here?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #165
Taller London

Likes (Received): 9

Planners have given the go-ahead for a £500m mixed-use development in Vauxhall that will include two 50-storey towers.

According to the approved detailed planning application which was submitted by developer CLS Holdings a year ago, the pair of towers, which will form part of a 143,000sqm mixed-use scheme at Vauxhall Square on the south bank of the Thames, will consist of 520 new homes.

Aside from the construction of new homes, including a portion of affordable homes, the scheme will also include 22,732sqm of offices, 3,119sqm of retail space, a 278-bedroom hotel and a 123-suite hotel, a 50-bedroom hostel for the homeless and 359 student rooms, a 3,777sqm multi-screen cinema and associated community facilities, as well as a new public square and public realm improvements.
Building work on the development is scheduled to start in early 2015.

Richard Tice, chief executive at CLS, told the press: "We are delighted to have secured this major planning approval in the main central London regeneration area, which is undergoing rapid transformation and attracting the attention of investors worldwide. The project is expected to create over 5,000 construction jobs, 2,000 permanent jobs, and deliver more than £500m of inward investment into the Vauxhall area."

CLS' new scheme is located at the centre of Vauxhall Nine Elms, between the Vauxhall transport interchange and the new US Embassy in south London, which is set to undergo huge transformation over the next few years, thanks in part to the planned extension of the Northern tube line to the area.

http://www.whathouse.co.uk/news/Plan...n-Vauxhall-802

i think this refers to one nine elms but not sure

Last edited by Taller London; December 19th, 2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo
Taller London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #166
shard97
Amateur Photographer

Likes (Received): 129

Yes it does refer to 1 Nine Elms
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #167
Ion Cannon

Likes (Received): 16

I don't think that is referring to One Nine Elms, different developer and different floor heights.

edit: This is the scheme that has been approved - http://www.vauxhallsquare.co.uk/ it's by Allies and Morrison and is IMO the most boring part of all the schemes in the area, but as this has been granted planning permission I think it likely One Nine Elms will be too.

Last edited by Ion Cannon; December 19th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Ion Cannon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #168
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 822

One Nine Elms already has detailed planning permission. Read the first post of the thread.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #169
derekhales
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales

Likes (Received): 90

This is gonna get confusing. Can we get some decent nicknames please to differentiate?

The Thingy
The Wotsit
The upside down back to front thing that looks remarkably like something else

derekhales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #170
SkyScraperRaper

Likes (Received): 84

This area all they way down to Clapham Junction needs renovation, it is good to see a good chunk of that section being revitalised.

Not sure on the mis-match and random plonking of buildings, I prefer a bit more fluidity and symmetry, it's just one random building after another random building. I guess they are just trying to echo London's mix of architecture.

There is a terrible looking housing estate somewhere along there, before Vauxhall I think. Is that going to be bulldozed?
SkyScraperRaper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #171
Lloyd Lost

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller London View Post

i think this refers to one nine elms but not sure
This is Vauxhall Square. Construction isn't planned to start on this until 2015 with all phases eventually complete by 2020.

One Nine Elms was approved back in June and should start construction next year.

Lloyd Lost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:36 PM   #172
Tinpusher

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravesVpelli View Post
One finger up at UNESCO and English Heritage.
Since a heck of a lot of EH members are anti-building and anti-development, it is probably in the interest of EH leadership to be seen to be opposing these things. But I would rather EH concentrate on providing suggestions to project developers, as to how to integrate their buildings etc, rather than simply saying NO.

Simon Thurleigh is pretty good for EH in my opinion. He is aware that you cannot keep the country in aspic in a modern globalised economy, and does try to encourage responsible development...He's just been a bit undermined in his efforts by recession induced ****-ups like Apethorphe.

UNESCO can butt out though! People will continue to visit London, it already has a high profile, even if UNESCO publicly tore the epaulets off of London's shoulders. London is a capital city, a world city, and a centre of global trade...It will always need to grow and evolve. To turn it into some sort of Lubeck like fantasy city would kill it stone dead.

Vnofd5 liked this post

Last edited by Tinpusher; April 14th, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Tinpusher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #173
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 283

http://www.propertyweek.com/ballymor...048199.article

Quote:
Ballymore is in negotiations with the Netherlands and another, as yet unnamed, country for two new UK embassies in the Nine Elms regeneration area in Wandsworth.

With the new US embassy already under construction at the site, this would create a total of three new embassies at Ballymore’s Embassy Gardens scheme.

The Dutch embassy will be developed next to the £500m US embassy.

The Netherlands is understood to be close to finalising the agreement with Ballymore and an announcement is expected later this month.Ballymore is in negotiations with the Netherlands and another, as yet unnamed, country for two new UK embassies in the Nine Elms regeneration area in Wandsworth.

With the new US embassy already under construction at the site, this would create a total of three new embassies at Ballymore’s Embassy Gardens scheme.

The Dutch embassy will be developed next to the £500m US embassy.

The Netherlands is understood to be close to finalising the agreement with Ballymore and an announcement is expected later this month.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #174
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Likes (Received): 1186

Hopefully, the Dutch embassy will be architecturally ambitious.
alonzo-ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #175
-

Well, if it would be on par with our embassy in Berlin it would.
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #176
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Exactly what I was thinking when I said that! I've been in the Berlin embassy. It's very interesting.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #177
cnapan

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
Well, if it would be on par with our embassy in Berlin it would.

Oh dear! It's been hit with the ugly stick.

Also, though they wouldn't have known when originally built, it now unfortunately bears a resemblance to some nutter's remodelling of an old favourite from a few years back:

(I would link to that website, but it's a conspiracy site, so not worth doing!)
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #178
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Old January 5th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #179
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 370

They look nothing like each other. The only building to resemble the WTC is MVRDV's 'The Cloud' twin tower scheme, which received so much internet viral hatred it forced a redesign: http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/201...by-MVRDV_1.jpg
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #180
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 369

I think OMA is so experimental that the buildings only work for me about 50% of the time. That's not a bad success ratio considering how much creative 'risk' they inject into their projects. But I can easily understand why they don't float your boat.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: