daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #21
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

Likes (Received): 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwizard84 View Post
I remember I read somewhere that perhaps from 2019 the RWC will be a 24 team tournament. If it's like that everything could change for any bid.
Not from 2019 - the tender documents specified a 20-team tournament. I'm not sure that it will go up to 24 teams any time soon as it would mean too many "minnows", but on the flip side 16 is now too few and would mean excluding "core" nations:

1987: No South Africa or Samoa
1991: No South Africa or Tonga
1995: No Fiji or USA

Belgium are currently 23rd in the IRB World Rankings and could conceivably qualify for a 24-team competition. On their current showing they'd need to improve a lot to be competitive in it.

Sponsored Links

Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:30 PM   #22
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 161

The GAA have passed (93-7) a motion to allow the use of Croke Park and any other GAA stadia in the 2023 or 2027 RWC, if either of them are held in Ireland!

Seravia liked this post
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #23
Catmalojin

Looks like the bid is going to happen! The front page of tomorrow's Irish Examiner carries the story.
Old November 18th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #24
Insert username here

Likes (Received): 108

Don't let us down, Leo!
Insert username here no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #25
Catmalojin

The text of the story:
Quote:
Varadkar kicks off bid to host 2023 World Cup

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Government will today launch an ambitious go-it-alone plan to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup with games to be hosted in rugby and GAA stadiums north and south of the border.

By Mary Regan Deputy Political Editor

The campaign will be kick-started by Minister for Sport Leo Varadkar and has the potential to bring 337,000 international rugby fans to Ireland, boosting the economy to the tune of €800m, according to an independent report commissioned by Mr Varadkar.

He will address leading decision-makers on the issue at an international conference in Dublin today, before bringing the report to Cabinet tomorrow, where he will seek the support of Government to plan for a bid.

The event would see games played in major stadiums, including the Aviva and the RDS in Dublin, Thomond Park in Limerick, and Casement Park and Ravenhill in Belfast.

The GAA has backed the ambitious plan and is prepared to make available Croke Park in Dublin, Casement Park in Belfast and other stadiums that would extend the event to all parts of the country.

While it is still early days, Páirc Uí Chaoimh in Cork, Pearse Stadium in Galway, Semple Stadium in Thurles, and Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney could also host games.

Many would get Government-funded makeovers ahead of the tournament, and the GAA is said to be “very supportive” and has worked “very closely” with Mr Varadkar’s department on the plan.

The minister will speak at an International Rugby Board conference in Dublin today, where he will make the case that New Zealand — which is similar in size to Ireland — successfully hosted the event in 2011, proving it can be done here.

All Blacks legend Sean Fitzpatrick last night backed Ireland’s bid. “I think it is a fantastic idea,” he said. “Why not? People said that New Zealand couldn’t host the World Cup but we did and put on a fantastic tournament.”

Mr Varadkar believes this is the most appropriate and realistic international sporting event that Ireland could host. Anything else would be too big, but rugby facilities here are excellent, and the necessary hotel, transport, and tourism infrastructure is in place.

Tomorrow, the minister will present Cabinet with the report by Deloitte consultants, which concludes Ireland could make a “realistic” bid.

It says some costs will be involved and some stadium development is needed, but that Ireland is well positioned to host such an event, which it says has the potential to bring €800m into the economy. A formal decision to launch a bid cannot be made until it is agreed by governments both North and South.

The tender process by the International Rugby Board will not be launched until 2016. South Africa will also be vying — for the third time — to host the event that year, but 2023 will be the turn of a northern hemisphere country.

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

odlum833 liked this post
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #26
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 172

It's great to see official backing for a proper bid. Ireland would be a fantastic host of the 2023 World Cup. We've proven that with the Special Olympics, Tour de France, Ryder Cup and Volvo Ocean Race. All of those were fantastic occasions made particularly special by being held in Ireland. We're also very well placed to host it being near to several leading rugby-playing countries with the USA and Canada within easy reach also. With, say, 11 stadia being used I'd say the following would be suitable;
  1. Croke Park
  2. Lansdowne Road
  3. RDS
  4. Ravenhill
  5. Casement Park
  6. Páirc Uí Chaoimh
  7. Thomond Park
  8. Sportsgrounds
  9. Fitzgerald Stadium
  10. McHale Park
  11. Nowlan Park

It'll be a great boost to the country's morale if we were successful in the bid and it'd be a great impetus to get necessary redevelopments to places like PUC and the RDS completed.

It'd also be nice to have MN and DU in place by then to give visitors a brilliant first impression when they come through Dublin Airport to go to the matches.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #27
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

I'm not sure why the Examiner reckons "2023 will be the turn of a northern hemisphere country". There's never been any policy on hemisphere rotation, and the pattern will be broken in 2019 anyway. Or do they think Japan is on the other side of the equator?
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #28
oon27

Likes (Received): 56

Japan is considered a southern hemisphere country in rugby.
oon27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #29
odlum833

Likes (Received): 458

A go-it-alone bid is a real vote of confidence as well. Hopefully it's a good bid and as a spin off upgrades to stadiums would be really welcome too. I can't see a downside really. Although no doubt some crank will come out of the woodwork it seems to be universally welcome as a good idea.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #30
Insert username here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
I'm not sure why the Examiner reckons "2023 will be the turn of a northern hemisphere country". There's never been any policy on hemisphere rotation, and the pattern will be broken in 2019 anyway. Or do they think Japan is on the other side of the equator?
Yeah Japan is considered a southern hemisphere country in rugby. We know it's not really but..

It's really just Europe, Russia and North America vs SA, NZ, Aus, Argentina, all the islands and then Japan.
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #31
Catmalojin

Quote:
Govt to discuss Rugby World Cup bid with NI
Updated: 21:46, Tuesday, 19 November 2013

The Cabinet has formally agreed to approach the sporting authorities in Northern Ireland about launching an all-island bid to host the Rugby World Cup in 2023.

The proposal was brought to Cabinet by Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar.

Mr Varadkar has said he will set up a committee within weeks to progress the bid.

He has said that the event is probably the biggest thing Ireland can stage as a sporting nation.

Hosting the event could potentially boost the economy by as much as €800m, according to the minister.

France has also expressed an interest in the 2023 competition.

Story from RTÉ News:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1119/487...gby-world-cup/
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #32
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oon27 View Post
Japan is considered a southern hemisphere country in rugby.
I've heard that many times before, but without any facts to back it up. International rugby has the Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 nation groupings, SANZAR, the Six Nations, FIRA etc., but no formal north/south split. Japan play European nations in the summer as it's more convenient for the touring teams, but also host incoming teams in the Autumn international window when not touring themselves.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM   #33
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 172

What's also worth bearing in mind is that by 2023 our infrastructure will be a lot more advanced than it is today and therefore much more capable of hosting a major international sporting tournament. Luas BXD, the Atlantic Corridor and possibly the A5 to Derry city will be complete by then enabling people to travel swiftly by road between all the major population centres. We could also have DU and MN built by then if the economy recovers in a substantial way over the next decade. Both of those projects have all the preliminary work done - all we need to do is tender for the PPPs and then build them which can be done in the next decade.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:14 PM   #34
PeteC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
  1. Croke Park
  2. Lansdowne Road
  3. RDS
  4. Ravenhill
  5. Casement Park
  6. Páirc Uí Chaoimh
  7. Thomond Park
  8. Sportsgrounds
  9. Fitzgerald Stadium
  10. McHale Park
  11. Nowlan Park
I dont think McHale Park or Nowlan Park will be used, they would both require a lot of investment and neither get many big games. Pearse Stadium would be used, not the Sports Grounds. The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick should also be used. I know its not a very attractive stadium but building a roof around the currently uncovered stands and new roof and cladding on the main stand it wouldnt be too bad. It would take a relatively small investment for another 50,000 capacity stadium.

Also, I still think the Millennium Stadium will come into play one way or another.
PeteC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:51 PM   #35
Wild Goose

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
I dont think McHale Park or Nowlan Park will be used, they would both require a lot of investment and neither get many big games. Pearse Stadium would be used, not the Sports Grounds. The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick should also be used. I know its not a very attractive stadium but building a roof around the currently uncovered stands and new roof and cladding on the main stand it wouldnt be too bad. It would take a relatively small investment for another 50,000 capacity stadium.

Also, I still think the Millennium Stadium will come into play one way or another.
I think it has to be said that none of the GAA stadia (bar Croke Park obviously) are anywhere near the standard that would be required for an international competition. All/any that would be in line for use would most likely require serious investment (even the better ones). From what I have seen the better GAA stadia outside croker tend to have one decent stand and the rest open terracing or grass banks.

I think that the choice of which ones to put investment into and hopefully use in a Rugby World cup needs to take into consideration the location as one of the more important factors. Some of the larger GAA stadia are in small towns that would have little/no hope of being able to accommodate what would be hopefully be a large influx of travelling fans. This would rule out for me considering the use of the likes of McHale park in Castlebar or Semple Stadium in Thurles. These are two of the bigger gaa grounds and have fine histories but I feel that we should stick to the larger populations areas. In addition I would feel that cities having more than one venue would be limited to Dublin and Belfast or possibly Cork.

So my choices for stadia and locations would be as follows

Dublin - Croke Park
Dublin - Aviva
Dublin - Could possibly use the likes of RDS or Tallaght if needs be but I would like to see the venues spread around as much as possible.

Limerick - Thomond Park (leave out gaelic ground as thomond is the home of ruby in Limerick & Munster. Limerick is possibly not big enough for two venues)

Cork - Pairc Ui Caoimh with it's redevelopment is the obvious choice but if musgrave park got redeveloped it should also be considered

Galway - Would definitely be a venue. I know Galway fairly well and I would go for the Showgrounds (expanded & improved) over Pearse Stadium which is in a poor location in Galway to get to.

Belfast - Ravenhill (obvious)
Belfast - Choice between redeveloped Windsor Pk or redeveloped Casement Pk for second venue. Possibly too much to use all three

Killarney - Fitzgerald stadium is one of the better current GAA and I feel that Killarney and Kerry in general would be fit to handle an influx of tourists better than other places.

Other places to consider include Derry and Waterford as they are the next largest settlements on the island. Derry would probably be Celtic Park, but I'm not sure that there is an obvious arena in Waterford.

If New Zealand, a country of similar size and population can host successfully then so can we. though I would not be surprised to see one or two out of Millenium Stadium, Murrayfield or Twickenham also part of the bid. Would hope we could do it alone though.

Sorry tor the long and rambling post, looking forward to discussing/arguing this further with you guys.
Wild Goose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #36
Insert username here

RDS has to be used, there are plans to increase it's capacity to something like 23,000. Tallaght Stadium is a non-runner because even 3 stadiums in Dublin is pushing it.

Without the RDS, what we'd be proposing to the IRB is "Give us the RWC and we'll develop lots of GAA stadiums". We'd have to show them how Irish rugby will benefit from hosting the RWC here. And without the RDS, the only rugby stadiums that would host it are Thomond Park and the Aviva.

I think the Sportsground is too small as it is and I can't really see how it can be developed without turning it into a stadium.

My pick would be..

Dublin:
Croker
Aviva
RDS - Development needed

Belfast:
Ravenhill
Casement Park - NI Executive and the GAA have already agreed to redevelop it to a truly world class facility.

Limerick:
Thomond Park
Gaelic Grounds - I don't think Limerick's size is a problem. Yes, Thomond Park is the home of Munster Rugby but that makes Limerick itself is the home of Munster Rugby.

Cork:
Pairc Ui Caoimh - Due to be redeveloped I think? But from what I remember, the plans were a bit disappointing.

We'd need 3 or 4 more spread around the island. McHale, Semple and Nowlan are all too isolated.
I'd love to see the Fitzgerald Stadium host it but is it not something like 80% terracing?

Last edited by Insert username here; November 24th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #37
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 1721

I don't see the need for stadia outside the island of Ireland.

I don't see why Belfast couldn't host games at Ravenhill, Windsor Park and Casement Park. By 2023 all three will have been redeveloped into modern fully capable stadia. Windsor Park is located close to a station on the railway network, no reason why special cross-border trains couldn't stop there.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #38
Insert username here

I forgot about Windsor Park redevelopment, that makes it another possible host.

What other large stadiums are there in Ulster? What's Celtic Park like?
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #39
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert username here View Post
I forgot about Windsor Park redevelopment, that makes it another possible host.

What other large stadiums are there in Ulster? What's Celtic Park like?
It's not amazing although it does hold 22,000. I've no idea if there are any plans to develop though. TBH if we get it I only see Belfast hosting, no where else in NI has the capacity to accommodate the visitors in terms of facilities such as transport, hotels and other 'attractions'. Although Derry could be considered after the success this year as Capital of Culture.

Belfast hosted the World Police and Fire Games rather well so although Derry is a maybe but I think it's unlikely given that Belfast will have three modern stadia.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #40
oon27

Likes (Received): 56

The only issue would be having 3 venues in Belfast and probably the same in Dublin. They might want things spread around a bit more.
oon27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: