daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area > Liverpool Construction Projects

Liverpool Construction Projects Developments being built on Merseyside

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #301
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1413

I wonder if the changes to the car parking charges have been at least in part forced by what is happening over in Birkenhead? I was over there yesterday, and noted The Pyramids MSCP is offering all day parking for just £2. Even factoring in the extra £3 for a return journey through the tunnel, and a little extra petrol, Birkenhead town centre is an attractive proposition for Liverpool-based shoppers with a car. Even if they aren't able to match that offer, I wonder if the city council are lowering the parking charges in Liverpool to at least stem the flow through the tunnels a little?

Sponsored Links

Old December 21st, 2012, 01:53 AM   #302
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 626

The myrtle street hope street plan is up for approval early January. Recommend for approval. No doubt Wayne will think it's a conspiracy putting this on during the Xmas holidays becauseaapparentl , some people don't check their email over Xmas.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #303
superla

Likes (Received): 141

Good news,or bad depending on your point of view http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-20940742
superla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #304
Streetlife1

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by superla View Post
Good news,or bad depending on your point of view http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-20940742
Lets hope it doesn't get floors lobbed off it looks ok.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #305
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1413

Quote:
Local residents and businesses have objected to the plans, saying they are out of keeping with the street.
Isn't this going to be the problem with pretty much anything designed for this site? With historic buildings as far as the eye can see, the only way you'd be able to design something that is in keeping would be to copy the designs of the existing buildings, and as the budget would never stretch to Portland stone etc, you'd just end up with a cheap-looking knock-off.

I'm not really sure what the objectors want. If someone designs a stand-out modern piece of architecture that contrasts with the buildings around it, there are complaints (Case in point: Mann Island). Design a building that is pleasant enough, but is generally restrained, and ensures the buildings around it remain the focus (like this), and there are still complaints.

I'd be very intrigued to see what the opponents of this scheme would design that they feel would be in keeping for this site.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #306
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 702

Or indeed why they think the current derelict eyesore site is 'in keeping'.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #307
buggedboy

They'll approve it, or get their arses kicked on appeal. No problem with this one being refused. It's such a conservative building. I can't see what the problem is.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #308
Streetlife1

Old January 9th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #309
Dingle All The Way

Likes (Received): 52

I quite like it. Streetlife1 I think your tag line needs some punctuation.
Dingle All The Way no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #310
Streetlife1

Massive improvement.

Old January 9th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #311
golden66

Likes (Received): 50

Who's the statue on the plinth?
golden66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #312
Streetlife1

Hugh Stowell Brown, they are renovating it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1977 View Post
They seem to be trying to make up for their destruction of Josephine Butler House by restoring and relocating this (almost) destroyed statue of Hugh Stowell Brown:

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:09 PM   #313
buggedboy

The two deferred applications were up for approval this morning. Fingers crossed they both got through. I can't for the life of me see how they could be turned down.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:11 PM   #314
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1736

Georgian Quarter set for new student flats after Liverpool council approves development plans

PLANS to develop up to 700 new student flats in the city's Georgian Quarter have been approved at a meeting of Liverpool council's planning committee today.

The proposals for sites on both Myrtle Street and at Philharmonic Court, off Caledonia Street, were both passed, despite vocal protestations from some local residents and business owners.

The proposals will see a new development on Myrtle Street, which developers hope could create as many as 310 new jobs, as well as 10 full-time apprenticeships.

The accommodation would provide beds for 345 students, and was approved despite objections regarding potential visual and noise pollution, as well as car-parking issues.

Amendments to the height and design of the development, which was initially submitted earlier this month, were approved.

In addition, plans to develop a new, 354-room, five-storey building at Philharmonic Court were also given the green light after a site visit by committee members.

That decision drew an angry response from protestors, who argue that the proposed development goes against the history and heritage of the Georgian Quarter.

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...#ixzz2IiIJIFrq
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #315
aeolian

Likes (Received): 247

So how exactly do these developments work with the SIF strategy for Great Streets or encouraging families to live in Canning? I'm all for students but not a student ghetto in the centre of one of the most important cultural offerings. Transient student populations cause antisocial behaviour during term time and out of term the area will be dead.

These are the wrong sites for these developments which could help catalyse regeneration in the Islington area for example.
aeolian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:53 PM   #316
buggedboy

The Hope St proposal is smack bang in the middle of the Knowledge Quarter, so I can't see how student accommodation is wrong for the location. If anything, it's wrong for residential. What we don't want is residents starting to complain about noise, forcing local clubs and bars on Hardman St to turn their music down.

The additional noise created by this scheme will be minimal, bearing in mind it is slap bang in town already.

There is plenty of student accommodation going in around Islington already and yes, more would be welcome. However, that isn't a good enough reason to stop a developer building something on this spot.

I'd be interested to know what changes to height were made prior to the application being approved. I guess the developer shaved off a little height to look like they responded to objections. It can't be much though, otherwise a whole new application would have been needed.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:45 PM   #317
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 9792

This will most likely be premium student accommodation - i.e expensive/en suite etc. I think it will most likely to be taken up by foreign students, or older/post grads etc.

I like seeing lots of young people around; our student population really adds to the city and is important for the economy. I miss them in the summer! Now that my own son is at university, I really notice how 'anti-student' many people are.

Good quality student accommodation can be let out during the summer months to visiting conference goers etc - and the retail/leisure developments which will accompany the development will remain open for the general public.

From my observation in Newcastle, the cheapest & most run-down student accommodation tends also to be the most 'lively' ( Richardson Rd, for example).
openlyJane está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:35 AM   #318
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 283

Philharmonic Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetlife1 View Post
Massive improvement.

Philharmonic Court, approved today after 6 storey block was reduced to 5, with footprint increased ,so no accomodation was lost:.............

Plans courtesy of architects: Leach Rhodes Walker

Last edited by woody; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: plan added
woody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:18 PM   #319
buggedboy

That 2nd pic from Streetlife's post is not Philharmonic Court. That's the scheme linking Bronlow Hill and London Rd. You can see the School of Tropical Medicine at the end of the road.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:18 PM   #320
Dane_e

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy
That 2nd pic from Streetlife's post is not Philharmonic Court. That's the scheme linking Bronlow Hill and London Rd. You can see the School of Tropical Medicine at the end of the road.
Yeah it's Great Newton Street.
Dane_e no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: