daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old August 11th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #701
kennyrouge
blank

Likes (Received): 234

Some pictures of the proposed new ACL fleet ! Amazing

http://www.nextgenerationconro.com/

kennyrouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 12th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #702
jets9

Likes (Received): 61

re the ACL press release of new super duper container vesels being built.

The press release also states:

” ACL is studying its current port rotation and will be making some enhancements. Although its new schedule has not been firmed up, it is expected that one or two traditional ACL port calls may be dropped to make room for a new South Atlantic port.

Bill Kearns, ACL’s Executive Vice President, notes that “we have been forced to put many of our loyal customers on allocations for many years because we were never able to grow with the market. It will be satisfying to be able to accept all the cargo that our customers offer us, instead of being constrained by space limitations."

A quick google shows that the ACL ports of call in the US are Baltimore, Savannah, Norfolk, New York, Halifax, Houston, Charleston,

while their European Ports of call are Liverpool, Southampton, Thamesport, Antwerp, Hamburg, Rotterdam, Bremhaven, Gotenborg and Le Harve (also St. Petersberg, Kotka and Helsinki).

So which 'traditional' port calls will be dropped?
jets9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #703
kennyrouge
blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets9 View Post

” ACL is studying its current port rotation and will be making some enhancements. Although its new schedule has not been firmed up, it is expected that one or two traditional ACL port calls may be dropped to make room for a new South Atlantic port.

Bill Kearns, ACL’s Executive Vice President, notes that “we have been forced to put many of our loyal customers on allocations for many years because we were never able to grow with the market. It will be satisfying to be able to accept all the cargo that our customers offer us, instead of being constrained by space limitations."

A quick google shows that the ACL ports of call in the US are Baltimore, Savannah, Norfolk, New York, Halifax, Houston, Charleston,

while their European Ports of call are Liverpool, Southampton, Thamesport, Antwerp, Hamburg, Rotterdam, Bremhaven, Gotenborg and Le Harve (also St. Petersberg, Kotka and Helsinki).

Hard to say mate,but i read an article about a year ago which said that the new ACL ships will be 40% bigger than the old ones,and will still be able to use Gladstone lock and that the pilots and tug crew have been training up on the new size ships on the ship sim in Birkenhead !
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #704
kennyrouge
blank

Old October 8th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #705
Awayo
Man of Peas

Likes (Received): 568

I had a strange double take walking down the river promenade by Brunswick dock earlier when I spotted what appeared to be a Canadian Coast Guard vessel sitting in the Mersey.

image hosted on flickr

[Apologies for the crappy zoomed-in phone pic]

I asked a couple of men who looked like they worked on the dock estate about it and one said he knew who owned it and it was a couple of local guys who had bought a clapped out Canadian boat and not bothered changing the markings.

Last edited by Awayo; October 8th, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #706
Cast Iron Shaw

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets9 View Post

Jets I guess there should be a differentiation between ACL specific call ports and those used by vessels owned by ACL owners, Grimaldi Line.

As far as I am aware ACL ships only call in Liverpool as a UK call whilst Grimaldi use Bristol, Tilbury and Southampton
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #707
Charlie Pontoon

Likes (Received): 0

The ACL Ro/Ro service calls : Norfolk VA, Baltimore, New York and Halifax N.S. - Liverpool, Antwerp, Hamburg and Gothenburg.
Charlie Pontoon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:02 PM   #708
kennyrouge
blank

A bit later on !

Anglian Monarch

Last edited by kennyrouge; October 25th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #709
Mountwood

Likes (Received): 0

Cracking thread and Kenny your images are just superb. Would like to see a few more of the Mersey Ferries tho

Are you a member on AIS then mate?
Mountwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 03:29 PM   #710
kennyrouge
blank

I am mate,are you ?

If where all still here in 2/3 years heres something to get excited about !

"Ian Higby, ACL managing director, hopes the first of the G4 class can go on public show at Liverpool Cruise Terminal, right beneath his office on Princes Parade".

Full article:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/views...0252-32119651/

Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:21 AM   #711
kennyrouge
blank

Seatransport on her way to Tranmere with a light load !

cambrian liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:37 PM   #712
superla

Likes (Received): 82

Went past seaforth container terminal tonight and noticed the grimaldi lines grand spagna,car transporter in dock,I think the term for these ships is a slab transporter? First time I've seen one in Liverpool
superla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:49 AM   #713
kennyrouge
blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by superla View Post
Went past seaforth container terminal tonight and noticed the grimaldi lines grand spagna,car transporter in dock,I think the term for these ships is a slab transporter? First time I've seen one in Liverpool
I think we get one of those about once a month mate,been like that for a while now,something to do with a strike down south ?
It's always amazed me that we have two of the biggest car plants in the country on our doorstep, yet so little in the way of cars go through the port,ACL ship some also !
Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:32 PM   #714
superla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyrouge View Post
I think we get one of those about once a month mate,been like that for a while now,something to do with a strike down south ?
It's always amazed me that we have two of the biggest car plants in the country on our doorstep, yet so little in the way of cars go through the port,ACL ship some also !
Thanks for the heads up,I've seen one in the distant docks but it's the first time I've seen one in that particular dock. It amazes me too that we don't see them more with the car plants! Maybe peel are missing a trick?
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #715
superla

Does anyone know the identity of the white ship that's lying at anchor at the far end of canada dock? It could be one of the old ferries I think,and looks in quite a bad way. To place it, it's lying outside the far end of the dry dock where HMS Intrepid was broken up a few years back