daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #241
VDB

Likes (Received): 2499

Does anybody want to see my mock-up pictures of what this will look like on the skyline, using Google Earth?
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 26th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #242
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by man med View Post
We will see - Glass half empty type are you Caiman ?. I personally think it has a chance
Just disillusioned after almost 10 years on here and only seeing Beetham go up out of all the tall proposals that have come and gone :p
Old October 26th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #243
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

If it is ever built it would be interesting to see how it stands compared to the other talls, because looking out of this train window, that 106 meter student tower doesn't even seem to have made a dent on the skyline. I personally reckon we'd need to see another Beetham sized structure to make another big impact.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #244
VDB

I've come to realise it's not just about height with Manchester.

Portland Tower, 17 New Wakefield St, North Tower... they're all 25+floor towers, and look really tall from the ground, but non of them seem to ever pop their head above the skyline at all.

It's about bulkiness and chunkyness of the tower. In my opinion, this is because Manchester built a load of wide-based towers (City, Arndale, CIS) in the 60s and 70s, and they're the ones that make a big impact on the skyline because they're tall and chunky. Beetham is, too, tall and chunky and makes a big impact.

17 New Wakefield St has the height, but no depth and as such it's hardly ever seen. It's actually just smaller than City Tower, but you'd never be able to tell. On the flip side, look at the impact Number One St Peter's Square is already having on the skyline, despite just its core sticking up!

This tower has the depth. Looking at the footprint on Google Earth, it's about as wide as the Beetham. However, it does have a thin side too.

At the end of the day, this is a tall and wide tower. When viewed from its "wide" angle, it'll make a huge impact on the skyline,

but when viewed from its thin side, I'm not so sure it will. But only time will tell.
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #245
oscar9

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Does anybody want to see my mock-up pictures of what this will look like on the skyline, using Google Earth?
Oh, go on then, if you must
oscar9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #246
VDB

River St in Blue

Old October 26th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #247
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 1289

Hardly the stuff of dreams is it?

I think we'll have to wait until the economy fully recovers before we get another decent tall building. Roll on 2020...
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #248
nitindb

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
If it is ever built it would be interesting to see how it stands compared to the other talls, because looking out of this train window, that 106 meter student tower doesn't even seem to have made a dent on the skyline. I personally reckon we'd need to see another Beetham sized structure to make another big impact.
Have you been down Hyde rd coming from Gorton? Great view of both Beetham and Student castle, with the sides of the road acting as frame. Other great views of the Manchester Skyline can be seen coming from Cheetham Hill, and Mancunian Way. Driving through Mancunian Way, as passenger, the skyscrapers look a lot more exciting than some of the bland skyline photographs I've seen till date.

Last edited by nitindb; October 27th, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
nitindb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #249
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

It will certainly be a welcome addition, but Manchester needs a non box tall and to be honest we'll be waiting a long time for that Our talls are always going to be residential, and that means they'll always be basic shapes. We need an office development to create a building that will truly make the skyline, something with a spire or a crown.

It doesn't matter if Manchester adds another box skyscaper or twelve, it'll get bulkier and denser but it'll never make it any better until there's some dramatic shapes thrown in to the mix. The original 1HS would have fulfilled this, with its dramatic sloping roof and steel lattice work on top. Hopefully one day the proposals for that site will throw up something which fulfils that iconic building spec.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #250
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
I've come to realise it's not just about height with Manchester.

Portland Tower, 17 New Wakefield St, North Tower... they're all 25+floor towers, and look really tall from the ground, but non of them seem to ever pop their head above the skyline at all.

It's about bulkiness and chunkyness of the tower.
As I keep banging on about...... it's all about the topography of the city. The higher parts of the city centre are around the Piccadilly area, explaining the dominance of the City Tower.
Many of the sites for tall buildings in Manchester are unfortunately on lower ground. The best example of this is the CIS Building. Imagine if this sat at the top end of Miller St instead of at the lower end. It would appear at least 5 stories higher and would look great on the skyline from more angles.
North Tower is also a good example as it sits at the side of the river down a massive dip. Result: virtually invisible on the skyline from most angles.

This is also a reason why Student Castle doesn't do much from the skyline perspective. River St (clue in the name) is an even lower site. I predict it's impact on the skyline will be little more than City Tower. It will look decent enough from the bottom end of the Princess Parkway in Hulme though.

Today's lesson: if we want a good looking skyline, build talls in the Piccadilly area where their impact on the skyline will be maximised. Building them in dips or by rivers is a waste.

Right I'm off out. Have a good evening folks
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #251
Gavin
SSC Member

Likes (Received): 51

looking forward to this. Hope it will get built.
Gavin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM   #252
Saul Silver
Sent to me from heaven

Likes (Received): 6

Whats the crack then lads.
Whens it going up?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:18 AM   #253
hifive605

Likes (Received): 35

^ beetham is actually very slim and elegant when viewed side on, the student "caste" has already become an eyesore - really tragic mistake that grey lump is..
hifive605 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM   #254
theidealcopy two
Millstone Grit Man

Likes (Received): 17

I'm also very dissapointed with the Student castle - it's height is its only notable characteristic. It's tall for sure, but the colours are rank. Besides, the prospect of looking down on loads of electrified railway wires and the dullness of Oxford Road station is hardly the best in town is it? I don't think it's the best site for a tower of that sort of profile anyway, its out of scale with its surroundings and would have been better being built nearer the Mancunian Way further down Oxford Road.
theidealcopy two no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #255
slipdigby

Likes (Received): 23

Give me the vista over Central Manchester and close proximity to both Oxford Road (Grade II) and the Refuge Assurance building (Grade II*) over looking down on six lanes of traffic and some barren car parks (or some shockingly bad University boxes) any day.

Best,
Slip
slipdigby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #256
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealcopy two View Post
the dullness of Oxford Road station

You're kidding right?
Wonderful building. Really enigmatic.
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #257
js1000

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealcopy two View Post
I'm also very dissapointed with the Student castle - it's height is its only notable characteristic. It's tall for sure, but the colours are rank. Besides, the prospect of looking down on loads of electrified railway wires and the dullness of Oxford Road station is hardly the best in town is it? I don't think it's the best site for a tower of that sort of profile anyway, its out of scale with its surroundings and would have been better being built nearer the Mancunian Way further down Oxford Road.
WHATTT!?!?! The only thing dull about Manchester are the endless glass or terracotta buildings. Have you actually ever been? Look at that timber/glass canopy! Come back when you've found another building in Manchester that uses timber as a material.
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #258
retroscient

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000 View Post
WHATTT!?!?! The only thing dull about Manchester are the endless glass or terracotta buildings. Have you actually ever been? Look at that timber/glass canopy! Come back when you've found another building in Manchester that uses timber as a material.
That's a cracking shot. I wish my bedroom window offered me a view like that!
retroscient no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #259
js1000

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroscient View Post
That's a cracking shot. I wish my bedroom window offered me a view like that!
Just a shame you can't see the full canopy from most places in Manchester.
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #260
nq

Article from one of the directors of Chelmer Developments (also is a director of a Manchester based Chartered Surveyors),

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...s-in-flux.html

"We are now working on the finer details of the building and operation but fully intend to press forward with construction as soon as possible."

Last edited by nq; December 13th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote