daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
kebabmonster

Likes (Received): 0

Swinton Stadium | Salford | Agecroft | 6,000 Capacity | Pre

New 6,000 stadium in the City of Salford?

Swinton RLFC have aquired land in Agecroft, M27, with the purpose of building training facilities and a 6,000 capacity stadium.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....a_new_den.html

http://www.swintonlionsrlc.co.uk/

Plus Salford Reds have plans to build a new stadium at Barton, with Oldham Athletic also upgrading their Boundary Pk ground, good news for the wider conurbation.
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 13th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #2
kebabmonster

Gtr Manchester: New 6,000 stadium

New 6,000 stadium in the City of Salford?

Swinton RLFC have acquired land in Agecroft, M27, with the purpose of building training facilities and a 6,000 capacity stadium.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....a_new_den.html

http://www.swintonlionsrlc.co.uk/

Swinton is one of 6 professional Rugby League clubs in the Manchester area.

Salford City Reds have plans to build a new stadium (20,000+) at Barton, with Oldham Athletic also upgrading their Boundary Pk ground.
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #3
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 17

Excellent news
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #4
kebabmonster

Wonder if FCUM would get involved with it?
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #5
Sifter

Likes (Received): 6

Id rather have the FC United of MANCHESTER stadium in Manchester, not Salford.
Sifter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Rusholme Ruffian

This wouldn't be big enough for FC. There were more than 6,000 of us at the last game of last season.
Rusholme Ruffian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #7
TheGrand

I think FCs ambition is to get as close to the City Centre as possible. The other factors that rule out Swinton, is that the idea of FC is to go to the game on the day and be guarenteed to get in and be able to stand with your mates/family, so 6,000 would be restrictive to these aims particular in the long run.

The other problem is that this would be a rugby ground first and foremost, ok its a summer sport but I get the feeling that FC want a community development, that can not only house the first team, but also the reserves, under 19s and any future womens team, with on the side the ability to entertain the idea of anything from adult education to a full blown community centre, all of which would be pretty wasted in Agecroft.

But good on Swinton, I hope it pays off, another sporting fascility in the county is all good. Hopefully Salford CC can take notice of Tameside, who notice the benefits that sport can have on an area, its all good having one rugby team in your patch but think about Swinton and Leigh and their communities, and also Salford City FC and Leigh RMI. Tameside recognise the football clubs in their patch and assist them, here's hoping Salford Council can do the same with their sporting clubs.
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #8
kebabmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter
Id rather have the FC United of MANCHESTER stadium in Manchester, not Salford.
Erm, as opposed to the one in Bury?

Least this is 0161/M Postcode. And if you know anything about Manchester, you'll know Swintonians (Rugby fans or not) swear allegiance to Manchester over Salford anyway.

Can't think of any other viable option in the City of Manchester itself, unless you fancy sharing with the Berts.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #9
dirtyred619
In The Ghetto

Its about time too. Its been something like 14 years since they bulldozed Station Road and the Lions have been homeless ever since. Hope this happens as there have been one or two suggestions in the past for a new ground that never materialised.
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #10
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 12

I'd like to see FC United become an all sport club and a rugby league section would be very relevant to the area.

Look at FC Barcelona, they even have an Ice Hockey team.

Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #11
TheGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell
I'd like to see FC United become an all sport club and a rugby league section would be very relevant to the area.

Look at FC Barcelona, they even have an Ice Hockey team.
Its a very noble way to run a club, and its in Barces constitution that the club must provide sport for the city, regardless of it being profitable or not, I believe theres a Handball Team and Basketball too, both of which make great losses for the club.

With United though I cant see it happening, the memory of Martin Edwards in the 80's aquiring Manchester's premier basketball team at the time, turning it into a United entity to make a quick buck I think has made some fans wary of making similar moves, clubs should exist out on their own.

Swinton should exist in its own right, I think the damage done from moving out of their community and becoming nomadic was a mistake, though a neccesity at the time. Like I say, lets hope that Salford City council can help the club, and at the same time Swinton's kids so they can get involved with their local side.
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #12
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 12

I wouldn't advocate a merger unless Swinton themselves were a membership owned club and both memberships agreed and the Swinton name was kept (but using the FCU badge).
No I mean a rugby section. Barca have one of those as well but it's a Union one.

Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #13
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Likes (Received): 1

Bostin! But I'm a bit of an ignorant so-and-so about the fortunes of Rugby League in your area so I've got a couple of questions:

What clubs in Gtr Man, other than Swinton, are the ones you're referring to?
How well is League supported considering that you have such well supported football teams on your doorstep?
Are you a big League fan or do you take an interest in all local sporting concerns?

Thought you might like a reply to this thread but consider it as educating an outsider!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM   #14
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

I thought I'd bring this back from the dead, a month or so old but its relevant for those interested. Is there a newer thread?

Quote:
Swinton reveal Leigh ground share

Swinton will ground-share with Leigh in the Co-operative Championship in 2012, the club have announced.

The Lions shared The Willows with Salford during their Championship One promotion-winning season in 2011 but were unable to join the City Reds at the new stadium in Barton and opted against a return to Sedgley Park rugby union club.

Instead they will move into Leigh Sports Village while they await permission to build their own ground at Agecroft.

Swinton chairman John Kidd said: "We are disappointed we won't be returning to Swinton just yet and the move to Leigh is necessary until we get our own ground.

"I would like to emphasise that the move is only temporary and in no way reduces our resolve to move to Agecroft just as soon as is possible."

Meanwhile, skipper Lee Wingfield has shelved his retirement plans and is returning to lead Swinton into the Championship.

He will be joined by young prop Neil Holland who has also agreed terms for next season’s campaign.

Coach Steve McCormack persuaded Wingfield, 30, to return to the fold for another season and said: “Wingy has a young family to think about and it’s something we discussed.

“I thought he led the team both on and off the field really well last season.

“You are a long time retired in this game and it would have been a shame to put the boots away after the season he has had.

“He enjoyed himself immensely last year and I’m looking forward to working with him again because he was a superb professional.”

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...h-ground-share
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #15
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 340

Originally Posted by heatonparkincakes
And by the way was we not supposed to see some action now regarding Swinton moving back to their home patch.

To remind folks.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...ays-rugby-boss

http://www.code13rugbyleague.com/201...n-new-stadium/
Might as well bump that in here... http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=384256 ... since we have a thread for it.

Cheers Andy.

I didnt know this existed!!!

I have searched Salford City Council's planning apps and I can not find any record of one going in.
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #16
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatonparkincakes View Post

Cheers Andy.

I didnt know this existed!!!

I have searched Salford City Council's planning apps and I can not find any record of one going in.
Down in the depths there are loads of lost threads. Its' the main reason I've gone through them to clean the main forum up, so things like this don't get forgotten. We had over ten threads alone on the airport. Loads of threads that could be just in the general transport forum. If we get 35 threads on a page and I've merged well over 100 threads, you get some idea of the crap. I believe there are between 30 to 40 projects from between 2006-2008 that are either are dead or something has happened but no one know where it was so it never got posted.

I find some of the planning sites hint and miss. Certain projects are missing. Salford has to be worse of the three for missing projects and lack of documents. I'm pretty sure half of the MediaCity documents were never put on.
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #17
heatonparkincakes

If it is living, then I propose this is re housed in the Construction Section.
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #18
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

A little news but they've not put a planning application in just yet....

Quote:
Swinton stadium plans move closer

Swinton are close to being able to submit a planning permission request for their proposed new stadium at Agecroft.

Plans to return the Lions to the town have hit several delays in recent years, with plans originally mooted back in 2006.

The club has played outside of the borough of Swinton and Pendlebury since their old Station Road home was sold in 1992.

A club statement read: "The Club are considering two schemes for their new ground at Agecroft before submitting planning permission to Salford City Council.

"A decision is imminent on the final orientation of the stadium and also we are reaching the end of our discussions on the scheme that gives the best value for money.

"Once that decision has been taken a request for planning permission will be submitted."

In June 2011, the club had announced that plans for a 4-5000 capacity stadium costing up to £3.m were at an advanced stage, and that they had hoped to commence building work in January 2012 and move in by the end of April.

Those dates have long since passed, and the club spent last season playing at Leigh Sports Village.

After leaving Station Road in 1992, Swinton played at Gigg Lane for 10 years, before a brief spell at Moor Lane in Kersal, home of Salford City FC.

From 2003 until 2010, the Lions played at Park Lane in Whitefield, home of Sedgley Park RUFC.

In 2011, a year in which they won the Championship 1 title, Swinton played at The Willows, home of local rivals Salford.

With the City Reds moving on to the new Salford City Stadium for 2012, Swinton then moved on to Leigh, groundsharing with the Centurions, as they wait for permission for the Agecroft move.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_...ve-closer.html
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #19
heatonparkincakes

Not sure what is going on. Can't say I have ever (bar a useless uni lecturer who ill judged himself to try to argue Marxist economics to me once. You know the type that existed, Lenin goatee, checked jacket, hush puppies, right on attitude, but dined in privilege on every single occasion) met a Swinton fan.

And the occasional ones in cyber land seem a somewhat hostile resentful bunch.can't say I'd ask them.

My guess is they have the aspirations, but not the money yet.

Salford lost the aspiration and have some one else's money.
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #20
TheGrand

Looks like its all change at Swinton....and for the title of this thread....

http://www.salfordonline.com/sport.p...vdetails=47665

Quote:
Dr Koukash reveals 3000-seat stadium plan for Swinton Lions
By Tom Rodgers

Over 200 excited rugby league fans packed into the Swinton British Legion to hear the grand vision Salford Red Devils owner Marwan Koukash has for the club.

He revealed proposals for a 3,000-seat stadium on land behind Swinton Civic Centre and plans to allow dual-registration between the two clubs.

Dr Koukash is apparently to repeat his 'white knight' approach at Salford, swooping in to save the club from financial struggles and to get it back on track to repeat former glories.

After years of falling attendances and instability at the top, Swinton were facing a winding-up order issued by HMRC over an unpaid £17,000 tax bill, alongside debts of over £100,000.

Arrangements have now been put in place by the club to pay creditors and the future is looking brighter.

At the moment, the club is 33 per cent owned by Swinton Lions Supporters Trust, the other 67 per cent is in the hands of club secretary Dave Jones and former coach Paul Kidd.

"It was so busy we had to open extra seating upstairs," says Martin McDonough of the Swinton Lions Supporters Trust.

"We started with a panel at the front, but in typical Marwan style he took the microphone and walked right out onto the floor to give his pitch.

"The fans were very receptive and he certainly got us all going."

Dr Koukash has made no secret of his desire to own the historic Lions.

He said at the meeting that "fringe" Salford players would be handed to the Swinton Lions player-coach Ian Watson on a dual-registration basis, wages paid for by Salford but available for the Kingston Press Championship side.

"He said there's no reason why Salford couldn't support two Super League clubs and we completely agree.

"We're 100 per cent behind him," said McDonough.

Former Salford City Council Strategic Director Martin Vickers, now Chief Executive at Salford Red Devils, is understood to be negotiating with council planners over the building of the new 3,000-seat Swinton Lions stadium.

No application has been lodged as yet but it would be built on land bordered by Chorley Road, Partington Lane and Stanwell Road - the first time since 1992 the club would have a home ground in the middle of their own town.

"It would absolutely fit our requirements at the moment in terms of the attendances we're getting," said McDonough

"If we did go on to Super League I don't know by that point if we'd be looking at a move to [the AJ Bell Stadium] Barton but for the moment it would be great."

"Marwan’s proposal to build a small stadium in the heart of Swinton is the holy grail as far as we’re concerned and would safeguard our future existence. We can only hope the council give Marwan their backing as otherwise we could see the death of the club that goes back 147 years.

"As Marwan stated it’s not going to cost the council anything and will provide much needed investment in what he termed the centre of the city."

A second, separate investor is also interested in a takeover of the club. He has not been named but is understood to be someone with a strong rugby league background in the North West.