daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #261
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

I'd have thought this site would be far better suited to serviced apartments, and make it a few storeys taller to boot! I hate that we were in line for having an 18 storey block that would have befitted the 'gateway' location, to then get something a 3rd of the height.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #262
WatcherZero

I never really go how they would accomadate parking for an 18 story apartment block, sacrifice some space as reserved parking in the shopping center multistorey?
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #263
WatcherZero

Tower Grande's hoardings have been blackwashed, possibly indicating new developer about to put up their own hoardings.
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #264
WatcherZero

Scaffolding has come down around the Mesnes Park gatehouse and portacabins removed, looks amazing already though still a bit of finishing work to do. steady progress also on the Youth Centre site with brick cladding going up and the remains of the Cricket Training Pitch have been landscaped with trees planted and the paths metalled.
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #265
ferge
Like 'Berg'

I've not really had a close up view of the Youth Centre, but it does from the top of Market Street look like ship containers, or some industrial unit Not the best looking finish. Hopefully it will be a great success though, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't.
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #266
WatcherZero

Yeah the plastic sheeting cladding around the sports hall looked terrible and still doesnt look great, its improved a bit with the fit out. The breezeblock walls have gained brick cladding, I was a bit worried they would stay breezeblock with a render. Ive got a good view as the course im doing on mondays at the moment is on the fourth floor of the college just over roof height of the youth centre.

This is what its supposed to look like but the image is a bit washed out, in reality the bricks are darker red and the plastic cladding is also darker shade of blue. Drumcroon is also been leased as part of the facility now and will be used for younger children so we could seem some renovation of that.

Last edited by WatcherZero; November 6th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #267
WatcherZero

The Borsdane shopping precinct in Hindley (AKA Little Beirut) has finally been demolished for redevelopment. Built in the 60's for more than a decade there had been a campaign to replace it due to the poor quality of the apartments and retail units it featured (was a shopping precinct with ground floor retail and first and second floor apartment units accessed from the rear).

At the same time ground has been broken on the redevelopment of the 32 acre Blundells Pits in Pemberton by Peel, the site has planning permission for 650,000 square feet of office/industrial space including land reserved for a single warehouse of upto 250,000 square feet, 13,778 square feet of shops and a hotel. It joins 93,000 square feet of office space already developed as part of phase 1.

Last edited by WatcherZero; November 10th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #268
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 783

Deleted
Old November 11th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #269
Lynyrd

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post

The Borsdane shopping precinct in Hindley (AKA Little Beirut) has finally been demolished for redevelopment. Built in the 60's for more than a decade there had been a campaign to replace it due to the poor quality of the apartments and retail units it featured (was a shopping precinct with ground floor retail and first and second floor apartment units accessed from the rear).
And about time too. I remember passing this a good few years ago when the 32 bus got diverted and it was a vandalised dump then.
Lynyrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #270
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Thing is, they're pretty much replacing it with something no better. I know it is Hindley, you are hardly going to get some Alsop penned Urban splash masterplan for the site, but it will literally be the standard design and build retail units from what I recall. It'd be great to have just a little vision, I'm sure that is possible without a bigger price tag. The area needs something to give a little hope to the residents, isn't that the whole point of regeneration?
Old November 29th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #271
WatcherZero

Planning application for Grade 2 listed 7-9 King Street which has stood empty for 7 years to be converted to an upmarket wine bar and two luxury apartments.

In other news, the new 2 year leases for the Indoor Market include a clause requiring permission to be given for the market to be relocated from the Market Hall to the Galleries (the area with the downstairs I believe they will probably have some stalls downstairs and some upstairs and strip out the existing retail units to make extra room), theyve also reduced the rents by 15%, as you may know the traders have been partially witholding rent payments because they want a 30% cut.

The new Southgate access road opened this week, im told this bridge is the first pre-cast concrete bridge in the UK. I believe its the Kirkby railway line but im not 100%.

Last edited by WatcherZero; November 29th, 2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #272
M60lad

Likes (Received): 25

Yes it is the Kirkby line that passes over the road at this locaton, also of interest if it hasn't already been mentioned is that this road is the reason for the closure and relocation of First's (Shortly Stagecoach) Manchester's Wigan Depot to Lockets Lane Bryn
M60lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #273
WatcherZero

Two new Flood Defence schemes announced, £40,000 to be spent on the River Douglas to remove Eleanor Street from the flood plain and a £330k, 900 square meter retention tank to be built at Wallgate bridge.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #274
WatcherZero

Quote:
Work starts on pioneer college
Published on Wednesday 5 December 2012 09:49

BUILDING work has begun on Wigan’s ground-breaking University Technical College.

Principal Designate Chris Hatherall, who is currently busy preparing the curriculum, said today that he was “totally confident” that works would be completed next August in time for the start of the autumn term the following month.

Because the majority of the work is happening inside the former O&D Rushton warehouse on New Market Street, the worsening winter weather shouldn’t effect the progress.

He said: “It is so satisfying to be bringing a wonderful old building like this back to life.

“Work started this week after the contracts were signed with the official principal contractor Eric Wright’s of Preston. So it is full steam ahead from this point onwards right up to the end of August.

“They will be stripping out and refurbishing up to the New Year before work moves onto the back of the warehouse building where a new extension is going to be built after the demolition of a none-listed shop structure.

“I think that the interest in the UTC will really start to grow when people can see that something is now happening and will re-enforce the news that the UTC will be opening as soon as at the end of next September.

“It will also help me when I am talking to the young people and their parents because it shows that something they can believe in really is starting to happen and they can appreciate that things are on target and it is going to happen.”

He hailed the interest from employers, some of who have been “on board since day one,” while others are more recent converts. These include blue chip names such as Siemens, Google (which is sponsoring the UTC’s learning devices), TetraPak and Heinz.

Mr Hatherall is also proud that Wigan UTC is the only one nationally which will deliver technological projects for the food and drink industry. He said: “The wider Wigan industry is also proving receptive to the ideas and concepts the UTC is introducing.”

More recently the Rushton’s building has been used as a gas showroom and the council’s planning department.

An open day is planned for parents and interested parties at Wigan Investment Centre on January 17.
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local...lege-1-5195385
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #275
ferge
Like 'Berg'

I didn't know about this until last night. Great to see such a prominent building come back into use, plus adds to a growing area of education facilities (not to mention the youth centre) Great news for Wigan.
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #276
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Not the best extension, but can't complain at the facilities they are providing the college.
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #277
WatcherZero

Mmm, I thought they were demolishing the sheds and workshop extensions at the back, that render looks like their demolishing the terrace houses next to it as well though the space they offered the council department was a bit weird as the floor heights wernt in sync it was like half floors for the main building.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:11 PM   #278
WatcherZero

http://kinnear.wigan.gov.uk/Planning...&viewdocs=true

Planning application in by the council for the Westwood Park bypass, 430 houses, small retail and a visitor centre for the flashes. Lots of mounds and acoustic screens as well as planting to protect the flashes though makes the road a rollercoaster going up and down between 35 and 45 metres above sea level. Lots of bridges requiring widening.

Bypass to begin construction mid 2013 to existing Westwood roads, road from Westwood to town centre widened in late 2014 and site access roads in early 2015.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM   #279
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Looks very promising, although it'd be nice (if not pie in the sky mentality) to think that a few units of the new housing could be slightly higher in density (5-6 floors), I mean.. if you're going to live next to the Wigan flashes, you may wish to have a few of the greenery from a higher apartment, but nevermind.

I've just been looking at the design and access statement for the new 6 storey hotel in Wigan town centre (the former Tower grand site), There are no full renders on there as yet (just some elevations) but I have seen renders at work. I can't help but think that this would be met with more excitement had it not been a 'look what you could have had' plot, the 18 storey building would have been so much better for this site, a real gateway.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:45 PM   #280
WatcherZero

Planning app for the five storey Police Station site has now been formally lodged by Premier Inns.