daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Old December 7th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #24221
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solblanc View Post
Just because something looks new or modern doesn't necessarily mean that its better.

Trying to transform NAIA-1 into a glassy replicate of every other airport in the world is an exercise in tackiness. If it's cosmetic improvements that one wishes for, there are other ways to achieve it.
Sadly this is what they are changing @NAIA, improving the aesthetics without really tackling the major problem of overcapacity, connectivity and replacement of faulty navigational equipment. NAIA even has the facility @ Terminal 3 and yet they still cannot utilize it.
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 7th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #24222
arianespace
BANNED

Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solblanc View Post
Just because something looks new or modern doesn't necessarily mean that its better.

Trying to transform NAIA-1 into a glassy replicate of every other airport in the world is an exercise in tackiness. If it's cosmetic improvements that one wishes for, there are other ways to achieve it.

Remember, NAIA-1 was built when PAL still offered full flat beds in First Class. Flights weren't just a means to go somewhere, the journey itself was an experience to be enjoyed. That's why it still has extensive viewing decks.

Entering NAIA 1's Departure hall, you notice the marble floors. You also notice the very high ceiling lined with beautiful Philippine wood. And the centerpiece is the flight information display, constantly updating every few minutes with that recognizable flutter as each line goes up.

Have you been to Penn Station? Or Grand Central? What about La Gare du Nord in Paris, or Termini in Rome? The flight information display in NAIA is reminiscent of what major railway stations in the US and Europe still use today.

Why fix something that isn't broken? NAIA 1 could use a facelift, yes. However, it's original aesthetic need not be changed. Don't forget that a national artist designed that terminal.
A cultural significance of an airport terminal is not measured by how many new technologies it got, but by how much it retained the original designs it was envisioned to be.

NAIA terminal 1 cultural masterpiece lies with the ancient FID and the cavernous ceilings. Remove them and the terminal will just be an ordinary airport. It may not be aesthetically modern in today's generation but it is still grand in its own style sans the capacity it was not meant to carry. Its kind like the buses of London where you can still see and ride its antique buses in style plying a regular route. By merely getting inside is like being warped in their own time
arianespace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #24223
D1&Only

Likes (Received): 0

Bat quiet ata ang NAIA thread?
D1&Only no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #24224
Narnian_King
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Narnian_King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #24225
TheJMP617
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 75

This thread seems to have been around for a month while we have been posting in the old thread! I believe the old one is archived?
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #24226
Narnian_King
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Narnian_King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #24227
fieldsofdreams

Likes (Received): 5356

I think so. It has been archived for some reason. I have already asked a friend of mine here about archiving old threads, and he told me that thread archiving is not performed anymore due to better servers used in the system. Once I hit 1,000 posts on any of my threads, I will just keep the ball rolling as they are.

Bay Area Strong • Standing for reform, efficiency, and diversity
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #24228
walrus357

Likes (Received): 269

walrus357 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #24229
_zner_
Optional Information

Likes (Received): 61

Definitely not the best airport to sleep in.

_zner_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #24230
NTprime
Travel techie

Likes (Received): 135

These are probably passengers on Cebu Pacific (or Airphilexpress) who are waiting for the connecting flight back home to the provinces (also on the same carrier that brought them inbound), or vice versa. Not a good sight, especially for Terminal 3 which has a lot of unused space (well, these passengers used them without concern for delicadeza et al).

One more reason why it is good Cebu Pacific and the other LCCs are opening new international routes from the newer international gateways like KLO, ILO in addition to MNL, CEB and DVO.

The problem with the LCCs is that their inbound flights from abroad usually arrive at odd hours early in the morning while the flights to the provinces start a bit late, or don't always meet the minimum connecting time. Or the ideal flights (those departing in the morning) are already full or the airfare is too expensive compared to the late afternoon and evening flights.

MNLCEBDVOTACTAGCDODPLPPSGESBAGLAOLGPWNPBCDILOKLOPPSENIGUMHNLLAXSFOSEAPDXSANLASCHIHOUMSYMIAWASNYC
BUFDENYVRYYCYYZEZESAOFRAMUCINNVIEPARDXBBKKREPSGNSINKULBKIDPSHKGMFMTPETYOOSASELBJSXIARGNMDLNYUBNEOOLSYD
NTprime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #24231
fieldsofdreams

Likes (Received): 5356

Perhaps that's another reason why there should be an airport hotel or accommodation inside the airport premises aside from Resorts World across the street. Or provide massage chairs and lots of seating space so that passengers would not need to sleep similar to what the picture suggests.

Bay Area Strong • Standing for reform, efficiency, and diversity
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #24232
cartman7110
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

The fact that there is a Resorts World and Marriott proves that people would still consider waiting or sleeping at the airport than spend money at a hotel.

Besides, the fact remains Pasay has no space for another structure like a hotel in the airport premises.

With such a short layover, a motel makes more sense (just a joke). No, these folks won't spend money for good or short term accommodation. They would instead save the money.

If i were airport management, i would consider better seats (no need for massage chair) just to provide these folks a good spot to wait/sleep.
cartman7110 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #24233
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 344

I was the same before, I would not leave the airport because I wanna make sure I can get to the next available flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Perhaps that's another reason why there should be an airport hotel or accommodation inside the airport premises aside from Resorts World across the street. Or provide massage chairs and lots of seating space so that passengers would not need to sleep similar to what the picture suggests.
Well yeah but alot of times most passengers do not want to spend the money and would rather stay there so they would not miss any news or development as far as getting into the next available flight as opposed to staying in a hotel. I remember when I was stranded in Cincy airport along with many other passengers from another flights. Alot were even given blankets or allowed to lay down on floor. It's not an unfamiliar scene in any airport not to have people laying down on the floor especially during increment weather where flights are cancelled.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #24234
NTprime
Travel techie

Remember Terminal 3 is still a Low Cost Carrier Terminal, with the exception of ANA. Which means many of the passengers going through T3 are bargain hunters and cost conscious consumers. They probably spent less on their total airfare than the cost of a night's stay in any of the Resort World hotels.

Which is exactly why they should move Cebu Pacific and Airphilexpress out of Terminal 3! There is no symbiotic relationship between the LCCs and the high end hotels at Resorts World!

The best tenant for Terminal 3 would have been PAL but alas, they are going to build their own airport in the near future.

MNLCEBDVOTACTAGCDODPLPPSGESBAGLAOLGPWNPBCDILOKLOPPSENIGUMHNLLAXSFOSEAPDXSANLASCHIHOUMSYMIAWASNYC
BUFDENYVRYYCYYZEZESAOFRAMUCINNVIEPARDXBBKKREPSGNSINKULBKIDPSHKGMFMTPETYOOSASELBJSXIARGNMDLNYUBNEOOLSYD
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #24235
TheJMP617
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 75

When is CX, EK and DL moving to T3?
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #24236
NTprime
Travel techie

Again, another high end hotel chain setting up right across Terminal 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieR View Post
First Hilton Hotels & Resorts hotel to Manila
Hilton Hotels & Resorts expands in Philippines

Dec 10, 2012

MANILA, Philippines and MCLEAN, Va. – Hilton Worldwide today signed a management agreement with Travellers International Hotel Group Inc. to manage Hilton Manila in Newport City in Manila, the capital city of the Philippines. The agreement will bring the first Hilton Hotels & Resorts hotel to Manila. Scheduled to open in 2014, the 350-room Hilton Manila is located on Newport Boulevard next to Terminal 3 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and is 3.5 kilometers away from Manila’s central business district, Makati.

http://www.eturbonews.com/32663/hilt...nd+traveler%29

Old December 11th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #24237
Danny19

Likes (Received): 57

Yes, i think they need an affordable hotel and not a "high end" chain like Marriott or the coming hilton. Something like the Go hotels by cebu pacific would do.
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #24238
NTprime
Travel techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny19 View Post
Yes, i think they need an affordable hotel and not a "high end" chain like Marriott or the coming hilton. Something like the Go hotels by cebu pacific would do.
I agree. But I don't think a Go Hotel or SOGO will be profitable given the development cost that Megaworld put into this - and it will cheapen the overall ambience of Newport City.

The problem with the cost of traveling by plane though is that many people don't realize that the auxiliary services add a whole lot more to the overall budget, especially if one just runs after the piso fare sales and the like.

Bear in mind that NAIA is a very unfriendly airport to commuters - there is virtually no mode of transport that can bring you to a few kilometers that costs less than 100 pesos! If you take the taxi, it is at least P200 on the metered ones and P500 on the airport cabs. No bus service really coming from the terminal itself. And definitely no MRT. Even if you bring your own car, parking and fuel will cost in the hundreds.

Heck, I can go from Changi Airport to downtown Orchard Road in Singapore for less than P100! And to think Singapore is expensive!

And we're just talking about getting out of the airport here...not even accommodations...

Old December 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #24239
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTprime View Post
No bus service really coming from the terminal itself.
For this, I beg to disagree. At the very least, there is bus service to the terminals' doorstep: buses don't have to directly drop people off in front of the terminal doors for it to be useful. This is the arrangement, for example, in cities such as Cluj-Napoca in Romania, where the bus drops passengers off right outside the airport gate. There's also a similar arrangement in Riga, where the bus stop is some distance from the terminal entrance.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #24240
Jimboy

Likes (Received): 6