daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #24861
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Supermod

Likes (Received): 7031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph Man View Post
Well, looks like the vintage FIDs at baggage carousel will soon be a goner.

I just passed by T1 this afternoon (SQ916). The separated queue for Foreign and Phil passport holders is indeed very effective. Queue has been greatly reduced. Although I think there's still a need to make it more organized. Say, there's only one queue each for foreigner and local (instead of separate queues per immigration booth) and everyone will then have an equally-likely chance of getting out of the immigration control. Anyway, it was a breeze. There were only 3 people ahead of me. I think there was no other widebody arriving other than SQ's B772. After 20 minutes from getting out of the plane, I am already on a yellow taxi on my way home. Thankfully, the driver did not do anything that warrants some lecturing. Lol. All's well that ends well.
That's good. Hopefully I can see a more dynamic screen that not only shows which flights use what carousel, but also ads that promote the beauty of the Philippines too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
•
•
•

Photo Albums:
•
•

Let's Go, NINERS! •
•
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 5th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #24862
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Here's my two cents: sure, T1 can still have the classic FIDS, but if the terminal receives even more airlines, with even more destinations (and codesharing), let alone change a flight's status quickly and effectively, then I think that a digital display would be much better. Not only it can take in much more flights; high-tech FIDS technology can even track an aircraft's status in real time (e.g. change of gates, dynamic flight status, more spaces for codesharing flights, interactive display with flight alerts...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdgreat View Post
Having old Style FIDS doesn't mean that they are not computerized (high tech) or real time. Just take a look at the Old-style FIDS of Changi Airport.
Exactly! As if that classic FID cannot be changed quickly. It is also run by computerized system, the display is just what appears to be vintage. Having said these, I made no mention that there should be no modern flat screen monitors for FIDs. I am simply stating that the classic FIDs have advantages also and can be an attraction in an airport terminal.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #24863
mwg12a

Quote:
Originally Posted by efriend View Post
The unfortunate PAL incident, which you keep on harping upon, happened in December 1994. The Tokyo Subway Sarin Attack happened in March 1995. Yes sir, there are domestic terrorists inside Tokyo even up to now.

My point is don't give that sweeping generalization that the PHL is unsafe and Japan is a safer haven. Having said that, you justified the tighter security in the PHL compared to other places like Japan. The world has changed. You can't predict where these terrorists will attack next.
I never said there never ever was terroristic acts in Tokyo. Again let me state these same fact again that if you compare the terrorism act between the Philippines and Tokyo if you conducted a poll and study, which country would obviously win? Secondly, the terrorism in Japan or Tokyo is an internal issue and has no connection to any attack on foreign countriesc while IN THE PHILIPPINES, WITH THE PRESENCE OF AL QUAEDA terrorists cell supporting the Philippine insurgency and that along with the insurgents in the Philippines, the target is still also towards the US WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT WAS UNCOVERED BY THE FBI. Thats a far cry from what has been going on in Japan where it never harbor any terrorist act against the US unlike Abu Sayaf who supports and get funding from Al Quaeda. Can you see the parallel there?

Where is the sweeping generalization here? Japan is never black listed by foreign embassies to caution it's citizens traveling to Japan while the Philippines get that advisory NOT JUST BY THE US ONLY BUT MANY OTHER COUNTRIES FROM THE WEST? Japan is very much one of the safest countries in the world. You can even leave your grocery bag by accident in a bus stop, you can expect to find that there still 2 days after while in the Philippines, you would not see that grocery bag the minute you left it sitting in a corner un attended. I bet I will get attacks from saying these, but, Isn't it the truth to begin with? Why do we think NAIA gets that tight security screening even before 911? It has something to do with PAL Bombing that was proven to have been a staging point of the attack in the US soil. Did it not happen in 911??? I am not bring the country's image down. I am just stating what is factual and a general knowledge. If you're in denial, that's your issue but to those who are realistic, they see through the grey line right away.

Last edited by mwg12a; December 5th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #24864
Kintoy
BAND

Likes (Received): 1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe_888 View Post
Ewan ko, pero ako gusto ko yung classic FIDS ng NAIA T1. Lalo na pag nagpapalit na sha ng flight information.
a Solari board made it as a permanent display in Museum of Modern Art.

Kintoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #24865
mwg12a

Quote:
If that's the case, what adjustments can be made at NAIA T1's classic-style FIDS to make it look like Changi Airport's?
Simple!!! renovation of the surrounding on top of structural integrit which is already being done. Some areas already have new walls, carpet/tiles, ceilings are replaced. Is it only the old Classic FID that would make NAIA look as new and modern like Changi?
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #24866
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
If that's the case, what adjustments can be made at NAIA T1's classic-style FIDS to make it look like Changi Airport's?
Nothing. The classic display of the FIDS in the NAIA departure hall pretty much shows all the information one would need. Any extra information, you can find on the CRT monitors inside. NAIA 1 is a pretty small terminal, so it's pretty difficult to lose your way.

My goodness, the romance of travel is already dying as it is, and it doesn't need any help getting there from you.
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #24867
efriend

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg12a View Post
I never said there never ever was terroristic acts in Tokyo. Again let me state these same fact again that if you compare the terrorism act between the Philippines and Tokyo if you conducted a poll and study, which country would obviously win? Secondly, the terrorism in Japan or Tokyo is an internal issue and has no connection to any attack on foreign countriesc while IN THE PHILIPPINES, WITH THE PRESENCE OF AL QUAEDA terrorists cell supporting the Philippine insurgency and that along with the insurgents in the Philippines, the target is still also towards the US WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT WAS UNCOVERED BY THE FBI. Thats a far cry from what has been going on in Japan where it never harbor any terrorist act against the US unlike Abu Sayaf who supports and get funding from Al Quaeda. Can you see the parallel there?

Where is the sweeping generalization here? Japan is never black listed by foreign embassies to caution it's citizens traveling to Japan while the Philippines get that advisory NOT JUST BY THE US ONLY BUT MANY OTHER COUNTRIES FROM THE WEST? Japan is very much one of the safest countries in the world. You can even leave your grocery bag by accident in a bus stop, you can expect to find that there still 2 days after while in the Philippines, you would not see that grocery bag the minute you left it sitting in a corner un attended. I bet I will get attacks from saying these, but, Isn't it the truth to begin with? Why do we think NAIA gets that tight security screening even before 911? It has something to do with PAL Bombing that was proven to have been a staging point of the attack in the US soil. Did it not happen in 911??? I am not bring the country's image down. I am just stating what is factual and a general knowledge. If you're in denial, that's your issue but to those who are realistic, they see through the grey line right away.
Clearly, you don't get it. A terroristic act is a terroristic act is a terroristic act. I don't care if it is perpetuated by a homegrown terrorist or foreign-supported terrorist.

My point is simple: The world has changed. ALL countries need to step up its security procedures all the time. No political spin can change that. Don't just think of your poster-country Japan. Think of Norway too. You could also leave your grocery bag in the streets of Norway right? Look what happened there unless you were resting at that time. You are the only individual who doesn't get it.
efriend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #24868
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Supermod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solblanc View Post

Nothing. The classic display of the FIDS in the NAIA departure hall pretty much shows all the information one would need. Any extra information, you can find on the CRT monitors inside. NAIA 1 is a pretty small terminal, so it's pretty difficult to lose your way.

My goodness, the romance of travel is already dying as it is, and it doesn't need any help getting there from you.
What do you mean by your latter statement on the romance of travel?

•
•
•
•
•

Photo Albums:
•
•

Let's Go, NINERS! •
•
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #24869
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 196

Just because something looks new or modern doesn't necessarily mean that its better.

Trying to transform NAIA-1 into a glassy replicate of every other airport in the world is an exercise in tackiness. If it's cosmetic improvements that one wishes for, there are other ways to achieve it.

Remember, NAIA-1 was built when PAL still offered full flat beds in First Class. Flights weren't just a means to go somewhere, the journey itself was an experience to be enjoyed. That's why it still has extensive viewing decks.

Entering NAIA 1's Departure hall, you notice the marble floors. You also notice the very high ceiling lined with beautiful Philippine wood. And the centerpiece is the flight information display, constantly updating every few minutes with that recognizable flutter as each line goes up.

Have you been to Penn Station? Or Grand Central? What about La Gare du Nord in Paris, or Termini in Rome? The flight information display in NAIA is reminiscent of what major railway stations in the US and Europe still use today.

Why fix something that isn't broken? NAIA 1 could use a facelift, yes. However, it's original aesthetic need not be changed. Don't forget that a national artist designed that terminal.
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #24870
Kintoy
BAND

Likes (Received): 1554

+1
Kintoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #24871
s_w_stars

Likes (Received): 1014

Quote:
Just because something looks new or modern doesn't necessarily mean that its better.

Trying to transform NAIA-1 into a glassy replicate of every other airport in the world is an exercise in tackiness. If it's cosmetic improvements that one wishes for, there are other ways to achieve it.

Remember, NAIA-1 was built when PAL still offered full flat beds in First Class. Flights weren't just a means to go somewhere, the journey itself was an experience to be enjoyed. That's why it still has extensive viewing decks.

Entering NAIA 1's Departure hall, you notice the marble floors. You also notice the very high ceiling lined with beautiful Philippine wood. And the centerpiece is the flight information display, constantly updating every few minutes with that recognizable flutter as each line goes up.

Have you been to Penn Station? Or Grand Central? What about La Gare du Nord in Paris, or Termini in Rome? The flight information display in NAIA is reminiscent of what major railway stations in the US and Europe still use today.

Why fix something that isn't broken? NAIA 1 could use a facelift, yes. However, it's original aesthetic need not be changed. Don't forget that a national artist designed that terminal.
Very well put. As a matter of fact I was going to write about the same thing as I just went through arrivals at T1 yesterday!

It is old, needs serious work outside (I don't mean bling bling or facelift). The inside makeover is in bits and pieces with contrasting styles and colour schemes, contrasting with the original theme of the building. Just look down on the floor by the baggage carousels. The original features, like brass rails were not even polished or wiped, the building is looking very inside. And the grey cladding they use in some sections to make it look modern and fresh, are CHEAP materials, do not last long, and clash with the rest of the building.

In all, the maintenance and housekeeping of that terminal is appalling (words that do not mean anything in the country.) If they could have kept maintaining, cleaning properly at least the inside it would not be so "divisoria" looking or someone's pushy mother in law was the interior decorator or boysen dayglo paints are on sale. The situation at T1 reflects the lack of professional airport and facilities management expertise and lack of appreciation for the building. They could have just followed the original theme - concrete, wood, marble - freshen them up and add a few modern touches that blend in.

(But, the worst part of the place are the PEOPLE not in uniform but with badges (customs) inside the baggage/customs area. I'm not sure what they are there for but according to my taxi driver, must be Christmas shake down of OFW's.)

Last edited by s_w_stars; December 6th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
s_w_stars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #24872
Ph Man
Manila, PH

Likes (Received): 367

Quote:
That's good. Hopefully I can see a more dynamic screen that not only shows which flights use what carousel, but also ads that promote the beauty of the Philippines too.
It's being done already. Oh, wait a minute...those flat screen TVs Ive seen last month, I thought they will be used as monitors indicating what flight is that carousel for. They are already working. But not for info displays but for Duty Free and "It's more fun..." tourism campaign. So yes, everybody can now have something to be busy about while waiting for his luggage. They show tourism ads I've never seen before.
Ph Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #24873
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

Sadly this is what they are changing @NAIA, improving the aesthetics without really tackling the major problem of overcapacity, connectivity and replacement of faulty navigational equipment. NAIA even has the facility @ Terminal 3 and yet they still cannot utilize it.
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #24874
arianespace
BANNED

Likes (Received): 328

Quote:

A cultural significance of an airport terminal is not measured by how many new technologies it got, but by how much it retained the original designs it was envisioned to be.

NAIA terminal 1 cultural masterpiece lies with the ancient FID and the cavernous ceilings. Remove them and the terminal will just be an ordinary airport. It may not be aesthetically modern in today's generation but it is still grand in its own style sans the capacity it was not meant to carry. Its kind like the buses of London where you can still see and ride its antique buses in style plying a regular route. By merely getting inside is like being warped in their own time
arianespace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #24875
D1&Only

Likes (Received): 0

Bat quiet ata ang NAIA thread?
D1&Only no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #24876
Narnian_King
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Narnian_King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #24877
TheJMP617

Likes (Received): 111

This thread seems to have been around for a month while we have been posting in the old thread! I believe the old one is archived?
TheJMP617 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #24878
Narnian_King
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Narnian_King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #24879
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Supermod

I think so. It has been archived for some reason. I have already asked a friend of mine here about archiving old threads, and he told me that thread archiving is not performed anymore due to better servers used in the system. Once I hit 1,000 posts on any of my threads, I will just keep the ball rolling as they are.

•
•
•
•
•

Photo Albums:
•
•

Let's Go, NINERS! •
•
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #24880
walrus357

Likes (Received): 594

walrus357 no está en línea   Reply With Quote