daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #1
cnapan

Likes (Received): 123

Oscar Niemeyer

Oscar Niemeyer - architect famous for Brasilia - died recently at the age of 104.

I never got to see his Serpentine Gallery. Is there anything permanent here that he did?

There's an excellent collection of his work in this photo montage:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ul...?frame=2420183
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 812

Some wonderful buildings there...
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
cosmictanya

Likes (Received): 2828

i wish the serpentine pavilion had been permanent.

love the itamaraty palace and the cicillo matarazzo pavilion.
cosmictanya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Light Parade

Likes (Received): 23

But in all honesty - as a place to live, a place to create communities, rather than somewhere that just photographs supremely well - doesn't Brasilia look ghastly?
Light Parade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #5
cnapan

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Parade View Post
But in all honesty - as a place to live, a place to create communities, rather than somewhere that just photographs supremely well - doesn't Brasilia look ghastly?
I had a quick look over it with google maps, and I guess the best you can say is that it's a typical modern american city - with all that entails (lots of space for cars) with lots of rather boring architecture. It could have been much worse though if Niemeyer didn't liven it up with some truly breathtaking architecture. The cathedral alone looks worth the visit - reminds me of Paddy's wigwam (which I also love).
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #6
RPFigueiredo
The Modernist

Likes (Received): 298

Criticism on Brasília is rather common, specially because it was conceived in the basis of the Athens Chart. What Lucio Costa (who designed the city, NOT Niemeyer) did in special was translate the typical modernist planing to a Brazilian context.
It is a lie that the city does not work well. Of course it has problems related to its zoning, but the residential areas are very pleasant and people have adapted it's strict planing to their own caotic lives.

I accept criticism of Brasília as a city - it's deffects are there. But it makes me sad that sometimes this criticism wrongly hit Niemeyer. His architecture in Brasília is something rather fantastic, for the buildings alone and their integration with the good or bad city planing. The way he set up the ministries and the congress buildings create an exctigin perspective from the crossing of the two axis. The cathedral is breathtaking, and the Palaces (Itamaraty, Alvorada, Planalto) are gorgeous structures that in no means comprimise their function or confort due to their aesthetic qualities. This kind of criticism is only valid for Niemeyer later works, which after the MAC Niterói in 1991, became quite boring and graceless.
RPFigueiredo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: