daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Speakers' Corner

Speakers' Corner For London related discussion

Old September 30th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #5581
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post
first time in maybe the last 4/5 years iv come onto the london olympic section to find no new posts...... its over. very sad but wow it was a fun trip!!!!
the Spirit lives on......

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536978
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 9th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #5582
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 953

I sent off autograph requests to Team GB athletes - 24 at the time of writing.

I got my first replies...

+

Visit Grantham Linconshire

I am on the twitter @eddyk2

Last edited by eddyk; October 11th, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5583
potto

Likes (Received): 1618

some amusing Olympics related jokes on Have I got news for you this week
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #5584
RobH

Likes (Received): 1570

A little bit on the Olympic development in Evan Davis' new programme. About 10 mins from the end iirc:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ain_Episode_2/
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #5585
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post
first time in maybe the last 4/5 years iv come onto the london olympic section to find no new posts...... its over. very sad but wow it was a fun trip!!!!
Bored with nothing being on telly, so I've put on the BBC documentary on that followed the story of the torch relay. I'm immediately choked up What a year it was though. Everyday getting up and having the bbc website streaming away as I got on with my work, seeing the excitement build. Every element of the games was incredible, so many unforgettable moments.

Only a couple of weeks until the 5 disc BBC dvd comes out with the ceremonies, key moments and all the Team GB gold medal wins - I hope there's plenty of unseen extras on it I can finally delete half the contents of my Tivo off once it comes, still got loads of Olympics stuff on for safe keeping.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #5586
jdjones
Citizen Not Subject

Likes (Received): 1268

All us Team Canada NPC assistants are meeting up before Xmas, as if spending 4 weeks inside one and other's pockets wasn't enough! I think we all had such an amazing time and we want to get back to that, the nearest we can do is meet up again, we've got a special place we went for food after the first time we met and where we went after our last shift. I feel so odd right now, Being involved in the games and checking on the build up of the games for the last 6 years means I feel so empty now, going back to work is so mundane! My last shift was a month ago today, but I still can't stop thinking about it!

Not sure I've put this link up before, but one of my fellow Games Makers for Canada wrote this blog, she's training to be a sports journalist, this was the crazy stuff we got up to:

http://pippafield2012.wordpress.com/
Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM   #5587
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1520

London 2012 Games comes in £377m under budget
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 23 October 2012 12.59 BST

The London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games have come in £377m under budget, according to the latest government figures.

The overall cost of the Games is forecast to be £8.921bn from a budget of £9.298bn.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:38 PM   #5588
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1520

So there we have it, a complete success.

Suffice to say I won't gloat about these last seven years about being on the right side of history regarding London 2012. Much.

Got a book coming out next year. Yay me.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM   #5589
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
So there we have it, a complete success.

Suffice to say I won't gloat about these last seven years about being on the right side of history regarding London 2012. Much.

Got a book coming out next year. Yay me.
Excellent news, I'm sure you'll keep us updated!
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #5590
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Likes (Received): 357

It was the Olympic Games we will never forget; an extraordinary event in Britain's history with intense drama, sporting brilliance and heart-wrenching emotion. Capturing the key moments of the Games, including a specially-edited version of the entire Opening Ceremony from Director Danny Boyle, over seven hours of sporting highlights and the full Closing Ceremony, these day-by-day highlights relive the triumphs, moving stories and memories that will live on forever.

Experience once again the magnificent performances from outstanding athletes such as Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Chris Hoy and Jessica Ennis. Marvel at the many amazing achievements, including Mo Farah's double gold, Oscar Pistorius' Olympic Games debut and Nicola Adams' gold in the boxing ring. Relive Team GB's 29 gold medal triumphs and recapture the moments which made these Olympic Games so special; from the electrifying atmosphere in the stadium on 'Super Saturday' to judo's Gemma Gibbons' tearful dedication and the pure emotion of swimmer Chad le Clos' father.
London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.
The London Embassy - Paul Theroux
woodgnome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #5591
ferge
Like 'Berg'

My copy came arrived today. I am a little miffed that they've split the Opening Ceremony over 2 discs, but all the same I can't wait to get into watching it all. Not watched it properly yet but looked at a few bits to see what Boyle's commentary is like and to check whether you can watch it without the BBC commentary (you can ).

Noticed on the director's cut they've tried to show more of the parades around the track whilst the rings are being forged. They've also cut out the Queen fiddling with her finger nails and just cut to her looking up at Team GB parading, lol.
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #5592
spindrift

Likes (Received): 274

Seb's flogging his book:

Quote:
The head of London's bid said that Mrs Blair rounded on the French president at a reception for Olympic delegates, scaring him off before he met anybody "who really mattered".
The prime minister's wife was angry at sneering comments Mr Chirac had made about British food, being overheard claiming "you can't trust people who cook as badly as that".
She went straight up to him at the International Olympic Committee's reception for delegates in Singapore and lambasted him with "I hear you have been making rude comments about our food".
Mr Chirac replied that she should "not believe every-zing you read" but Mrs Blair retorted: "I didn't read it, I saw it on television".
The confrontation ended with a "massively discomforted" Mr Chirac leaving, Lord Coe writes in Running My Life, which is being serialised in the Times.

"She was at him like a banshee and he couldn't get out of the building fast enough," he said. "Chirac had met nobody who really mattered."

Mrs Blair's intervention helped transform London's bid which had been languishing behind that of Paris's as they arrived in Singapore on the eve of the final vote in 2005.
As well as inspirational last minute presentation by Lord Coe London edged out its French rival in the final elimination, by 54 votes to 50.

The British delegation "just erupted" when London was declared the surprise winner, Lord Coe writes, while the members of the IOC "looked utterly shell-shocked".
Lord Coe claims Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, saw the Games as an opportunity to "crowbar money" from the state.

He wrote: "He happily told me, "I hate sport. I'm doing this because I know I can get money out of government." Bringing the Olympics to Stratford was simply the quickest way to regenerate East London. I used to say,

"Look, Ken, it would be nice if, occasionally, you could just acknowledge that we are hosting a sporting event."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...es-Chirac.html

I had a nightmare that Cherie and I were attacked by an alligator. Those dead, lifeless eyes glittering with ancient evil, the mouth twisted with malice, shudder.
spindrift no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #5593
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I had a nightmare that Cherie and I were attacked by an alligator. Those dead, lifeless eyes glittering with ancient evil, the mouth twisted with malice, shudder.
But what did the alligator like like?
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #5594
awesome2000

Likes (Received): 1

From London2012.com

Olympic and Paralympic cauldron ‘petals’ sent as gifts to competing nations

Today the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) commenced the distribution programme of the handmade copper petals from the cauldron that burned so brightly during the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
Designed by renowned British designer Thomas Heatherwick, the London 2012 cauldron represented every participating nation through a series of handmade copper elements, known as ‘petals’, with one created for every country taking part in the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Each National Olympic Committee and each National Paralympic Committee will receive their copper piece by the end of the year. Heatherwick Studio’s vision was that there would not be a large cauldron left after the 2012 Games. Instead, each of the copper petals was to be offered to each country as a memento of their incredible sporting achievements.

During the Opening Ceremony for the Olympic Games the 204 petals for the Olympic cauldron were carried into the Stadium as part of the parade by young people from East London who accompanied each competing nation. The young people placed the petals on the cauldron before it was lit and raised into its upright position. During the Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony the 164 petals representing each nation were pre-set before the parade of nations and prior to the spectacular cauldron lighting sequence.

Sebastian Coe, Chair of LOCOG, said: ‘I am delighted to conclude the story of the cauldron by presenting each National Olympic Committee and each National Paralympic Committee with the copper petal that represented the achievements of their teams at the 2012 Games. Each petal is an iconic symbol of each nation's participation in the London Games and a fitting final gift from London to the world.’
awesome2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #5595
RobH

It'll be really nice to see where some of these end up.

I hope Brazil's makes an appearance at some point during their Games.
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5596
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Went watching 'Skyfall' at the weekend. Everytime the classic Bond theme played in the background, I couldn't help but giggle My mate said, "What is it you keep laughing about?" before going "Oh, I know what it is, you're thinking about the Queen parachuting again aren't you?"

I just can't help it! Everytime I hear the Bond music, I think of the Queen and have a little smile on my face.
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #5597
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 953

Keeping the Olympic buzz going by collecting signatures, this is what my collection looks like at the moment....

Visit Grantham Linconshire

I am on the twitter @eddyk2
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #5598
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Likes (Received): 357

£9 billion Olympics 'good value', says spending watchdog

-- Link to Daily Telegraph article --

The public sector funding package of just under £9.3 billion was more than three times the £2.4 billion cost estimated during the bid phase. But the total is now expected to come in at just over £8.9 billion, saving £377 million, although the final figure will not be known until 2014.

The National Audit Office said: “By any reasonable measure the Games were a success and the big picture is that they have delivered value for money. LOCOG [the Games organisers] sold 11 million tickets and our athletes excelled. The contribution of the ceremonies and the volunteers was a huge part of the success and we do not underestimate the work involved. Crucially, the Games passed off without major transport disruption or security incident. The scale of the construction programme and the fact that it was completed on time and within budget is impressive.”

Boris Johnson hailed the report, saying: “The doomsters and Olymposceptics have been confounded yet again.” The National Lottery stands to be reimbursed for much of its contribution, which will be available to distribute to good causes. This includes a share in the proceeds of the future sale of the Olympic Park.

Also in the report, the NAO warned that the Cabinet Office would have to show strong leadership in bringing together the various organisations responsible for coordinating the legacy of the Games. The cost of the Olympic Delivery Authority’s programme to build venues and infrastructure is expected to be £6.7 billion, compared to the £8.1 billion that had been made available in the 2007 budget.

The NAO said success of the Games spanned from the opening and closing ceremonies through to the 11 million tickets sold for the Olympics and Paralympics, while meeting the huge challenge of recruiting and deploying 70,000 volunteers. British athletes won 65 medals, including 29 gold, at the Olympics, and 120, including 34 gold, at the Paralympics. Amyas Morse, head of the NAO, said: “Few could have envisaged how successful the London 2012 Games would turn out to be.”

But the Games had faced an added £514 million bill to cover venue security costs, after contractor G4S fell short in supplying the agreed number of security guards, and extra troops and police were deployed to plug the gap. The NAO’s post-games review said that 135,000 additional days of military personnel time had been provided, at a cost of £36 million, according to figures supplied by the Ministry of Defence. It said the Home Office had calculated that the police service provided 12,000 shifts at an estimated cost of £6 million. Margaret Hodge, chairman of Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee, said the exception to the smooth build-up and delivery of the Games was G4S's "unacceptable failure" to fulfil its contract.

Boris Johnson said: “This report puts into black and white the scale of the achievement in organising such a successful festival of sport, and pays tribute to the many different players who helped make the Games the greatest show on earth.”

Sports minister Hugh Robertson said the UK can look back with pride “on an outstanding Olympics and a groundbreaking Paralympics, which showed Britain at its best".
~~

National Audit Office - Executive summary (download) [PDF - 78KB]
National Audit Office - Full report (download) [PDF - 402KB]
London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.
The London Embassy - Paul Theroux
woodgnome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #5599
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Got a book coming out next year.
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I had a nightmare that Cherie and I were attacked by an alligator.
Wait, what?
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:20 AM   #5600
JohnW
Plazzy Scouser

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
I was looking at a map of the Lee Valley and realised how close it is to West Ham. I have just been thinking why cant we make our Olympic stadium have retractable lower tiers like the Stade de France so West Ham can relocate there and enable the stadium to have a capacity of like 50k in legacy mode rather than 25k yet still host athletics events. In addition the site of the stadium is closer to West Ham (ok only by a little bit ) than Upton park is so it would be like a return home for West Ham United.
The above was posted in July 2005 at the start of this thread, before the Stadium has been designed. If only eh?
JohnW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympics