daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 137 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #4741
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Tom Nomads MC View Post
It would, an underground line from Rusholme to 2CC would be even better!
Good first post

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4742
Dirty Tom Nomads MC

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
Good first post
Dirty Tom Nomads MC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #4743
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 323

Dont be like that Cats. Come on boy should you not be seasonal jolly, full of Chris-tingle hilarity?

United win the Derby.

And not even a distant whisper of Euxtex, Sloyne, Fly, that obsessive from Milton Keynes about to haunt you.

And it's Christmas soon.

So apt time to revisit (again) Ye olde Yuletime chestnut of digging a tunnel under Oxford Road.

Forget Carol Singing, Midnight Masses, cheery tales of disabled children being treated by misery
Scrooge or the hordes of maniac middle aged men mithered on Xmas eve buying Ill fitting risqué underwear for their wives, which are soon discarded at the back of the wardrobe.

We need another enhancing forty pages on the Vital Question.

Tom. Presumedly you are a Zappa reference? Top moniker. welcome aboard.

Last edited by heatonparkincakes; December 10th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #4744
mackenziesoley

Likes (Received): 168

You could argue this is the thread to dream as its the future thread.......
mackenziesoley está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #4745
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 285

Perhaps there is a need to split it into two, a Future thread and a Fantasy (Volde's) thread...
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #4746
mackenziesoley

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSteve
Perhaps there is a need to split it into two, a Future thread and a Fantasy (Volde's) thread...
You could argue that fantasy is very much apart of the future network. After all, if you said to some in 1975 Manchester will be the first to bring back trams you'd be laughed off as fantasy.
mackenziesoley está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #4747
WatcherZero

Its a bit half and half, when the thread was started 2CC didnt have a firm route or approval so was a 'future' project however its not anymore, its a 'now'. I would say keep this thread for fantasy and move 2CC discussion to the under construction thread.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4748
Johnny de Rivative
. . . heard it second

Yes sounds like a good idea Watcher = I think I'll make 2cc comments there from now on.

Can you remember when we expect the first spade in the ground on 2cc? I've seen it somewhere but I forgot.

Also I see to-day that the planning has gone in for Airport City North - does this give us any optimism for the restoration of the Metrolink Western Loop?

Last edited by Johnny de Rivative; December 11th, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Johnny de Rivative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4749
WatcherZero

Some prep work in 2013 but its 2014 it begins in earnest I believe and should be finished at the same time or just before the Airport line.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4750
LNGCats

Talking to someone at TfGM a while ago, they said the airport line was not able to open in stages due to need for 2CC to provide the city centre capacity first.

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #4751
heatonparkincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
Talking to someone at TfGM a while ago, they said the airport line was not able to open in stages due to need for 2CC to provide the city centre capacity first.
Logical. When the existing system is "experiencing delays caused by heavy loadings" then add the three extra being built lines on and then 2CC easily becomes the priority.

I sense the troubles at Salford City Stadium today, sort of means that the blessed Port Salford line is another step backwards.
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #4752
heatonparkincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Its a bit half and half, when the thread was started 2CC didnt have a firm route or approval so was a 'future' project however its not anymore, its a 'now'. I would say keep this thread for fantasy and move 2CC discussion to the under construction thread.

Ok if you looking for the daft future transport projects to enhance the city region.

Welcome to the SLine.

A cross city suburban route that connects all of the town boroughs of GM (bar Oldham).

Our journey starts on a frosty Monday morning and Good Citizen Ted stands wearily at Rochdale Interchange. He sips his latte and ascends onto the 0712 S Bahn.

First it passes along to the town main station, joins the heavy rail line and carries on down to Bury along a reconverted ELR line.

Ted dozes now as the tram tram accelerates past Radcliffe and now a new line from there to Bolton station and finally he is rocked out of his AM slumber as the vehicle arrives in Wigan. He awakes, checks himself and leaves.

His warm seat is keenly occupied by Happy Worker Radge. She folds her Daily Mail and checks herself in the window. The tram leaves and heads quickly through the pot holes of central Lancashire south eastward. The vehicle stops at Salford Crescent and she leaves with thoughts in her head about the morning's lecture.

Her seat is taken hurriedly by Young Student Veronica Devine or VD as she is known to her friends. VD has all the time in the world to meet her friends for coffee later. She yawns and watches the stations fly by; Manchester Victoria, SportsCity, Littlemoss, Ashton west Interchange, Reddish North, Stockport, Cheadle and then finally Altrincham.

She stretches her legs, yawns again, leaves and watches the vehicle begin it's S shaped trek back to Rochdale.
Old December 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4753
Kofieye

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatonparkincakes View Post
Our journey starts on a frosty Monday morning and Good Citizen Ted stands wearily at Rochdale Interchange. He sips his latte and ascends onto the 0712 S Bahn.

First it passes along to the town main station, joins the heavy rail line and carries on down to Bury along a reconverted ELR line.

Ted dozes now as the tram tram accelerates past Radcliffe and now a new line from there to Bolton station and finally he is rocked out of his AM slumber as the vehicle arrives in Wigan. He awakes, checks himself and leaves.

His warm seat is keenly occupied by Happy Worker Radge. She folds her Daily Mail and checks herself in the window. The tram leaves and heads quickly through the pot holes of central Lancashire south eastward. The vehicle stops at Salford Crescent and she leaves with thoughts in her head about the morning's lecture.

Her seat is taken hurriedly by Young Student Veronica Devine or VD as she is known to her friends. VD has all the time in the world to meet her friends for coffee later. She yawns and watches the stations fly by; Manchester Victoria, SportsCity, Littlemoss, Ashton west Interchange, Reddish North, Stockport, Cheadle and then finally Altrincham.

She stretches her legs, yawns again, leaves and watches the vehicle begin it's S shaped trek back to Rochdale.
Beautiful
Old December 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #4754
Josep22h
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The UK's first 24 rail service! Love it! Not so sure what the staff would think though!
Josep22h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #4755
X666
Registered Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofieye View Post
Beautiful
50 shades of Metrolink?
X666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #4756
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 737

If VD takes that route to Altrincham it suggests she's not brightest spark in the world.

I have a daft future transport project of my own, but I haven't the time to elaborate it in great detail yet. Let's just say it would wind Kurt up something rotten.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #4757
revihr

Likes (Received): 2

Now if we are dreaming....

Metrolink 2025
1 Bury - Victoria - 2CC - Cornbrook - Sale - Altrincham
2 Bury - Victoria - Piccadilly - Ashton
3 Piccadilly - Cornbrook - Altrincham
3C as 3 to Altrincham - Chester (TT)
3K as 3 to Altrincham - Kunusford (TT)
3N New Mills -Piccadilly then as 3 (TT)
3R Rose Hill - Piccadilly then as 3 (TT)
4 Stalybridge - Ashton - Piccadilly - Cornbrook - Eccles - Leigh extending to St Helens as 4S or Wigan as 4W
5 Piccadilly - Cornbrook - Media City extending from New Mills as 5N or Rose Hill as 5R (TT)
6 Littleborough - Rochdale - Shaw - Victoria - Market Street - Cornbrook - Chorlton - Airport
7 Shaw - Victoria - 2CC - Cornbrook - Chorlton - Didsbury - Stockport
8 Victoria - 2CC - Cornbrook - Trafford Centre - Port Salford
9 Hazel Grove - Stockport - Levenshulme - Manchester - Swinton - Farnworth - Bolton - Dunscar. In Manchester this would operate as 9P via Portland Street & st Peter's Square or 9S via Stevenson Square & Shude Hill. Replaces buses 192 & 8
51 Airport - Stockport - Ashton - Oldham - Shaw - Rochdale
61 Rochdale - Heywood - Bury - Bolton extending to Leigh as 61L or Wigan & St Helens as 61S
71 Airport - Altrincham - Trafford Centre - Leigh extending to St Helens as 71S or Wigan as 71W

A real network covering every borough
revihr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #4758
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 285

Do I detect ... hush don't say it ... no i't can't be ... surely not line numbers?
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #4759
LNGCats

Doubt it, been on about a dozen trams today, not one had a number on the front.

Just saying.

Old December 20th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4760
Kofieye

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatonparkincakes View Post
Dont be like that Cats. Come on boy should you not be seasonal jolly, full of Chris-tingle hilarity?

United win the Derby.

And not even a distant whisper of Euxtex, Sloyne, Fly, that obsessive from Milton Keynes about to haunt you.

And it's Christmas soon.

So apt time to revisit (again) Ye olde Yuletime chestnut of digging a tunnel under Oxford Road.

Forget Carol Singing, Midnight Masses, cheery tales of disabled children being treated by misery
Scrooge or the hordes of maniac middle aged men mithered on Xmas eve buying Ill fitting risqué underwear for their wives, which are soon discarded at the back of the wardrobe.

We need another enhancing forty pages on the Vital Question.

Tom. Presumedly you are a Zappa reference? Top moniker. welcome aboard.

My contribution to this debate sparked sweet FA from the feline beast. But that might not have been before I was put on ignore.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: