daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #181
spindrift

Likes (Received): 321

Stop posting made-up nonsense, it's getting close to deliberately disrupting the thread.
spindrift no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 11th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #182
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 369

Although I take your point spindrift, Heuristics is a perfectly legitimate way of approaching/discussing a subject...
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #183
spindrift

If he'd said "90% of the ones I've seen" it would be implausible, but acceptable.
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #184
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 383

I gave you a set A with a probability of 10% and described set B. You assumed the union of sets A and B forms the whole sample space and concluded set B must be 90%. Where did I ever say the union of set A and set B formed the sample space?
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #185
spindrift

Bum gravy.
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #186
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1944

A brilliant article about civilising London's spaces, most of what I've talked about a lot at length on here over the years.

http://www.jonestheplanner.co.uk/201...on-spaces.html

The final paragraph should be a warning to us all.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #187
billdsd

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
Absurd. One doesn't have to study the subject of bloody "Cycle Craft" to get on one's bike and experience the road. I've cycled (carefully) in cities across the world, and no where but in London have I experience the nasal, autistic, arrogant pedant-cyclists such as those being so vociferous in this thread.

Anyone with a brain understands that a cyclists can't have the same rights/presence on a road as a car or a bus, for so many reasons it's not worth my time to delineate. If you're a cyclist, you need to be extra-aware, you need to be looking behind you whenever you manoeuvre, and you need to be prepared to slow down and stop when necessary. And it's not bloody safe to travel on a flimsy, unstable, noiseless bicycle at 30mph ever. If you're already such a cyclist-martyr and safety-obsessive, then you should bloody well be prepared to sacrifice a little speed for the safety of pedestrians and your own safety.
Anyone who actually is intelligent would know that you have to study things to understand them well and in particular, the people who have written these books and designed classes like Bikeability in the U.K. do so based upon a study of how collisions actually happen in the real world and have done extensive work figuring out how to avoid crashes.

Quote:
And that comment above vis-ā-vis double-standards: how is it even possible for you do be so solipsistic that you can't understand why a ******* bus should take precedence over a cyclist?
Actually, you are the one with the ridiculous double standard here. You want bicyclists to act differently than other traffic which is what makes them less predictable. When bicyclists behave in a manner different than other travelers, they make it hard for people to know what they are going to do.

Unfortunately, people like you never seem to get beyond your own arrogant belief that you know everything. As a result, you are incapable of learning. It's sad really. Truly intelligent people have enough humility to learn from others.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/bikeability/
http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-ar...g-and-the-law/

In any case, since I got the training, I stopped having close calls. I haven't had an accidental close call in years. That is because I learned techniques which make sure that motorists ALWAYS see me and ALWAYS know what I am going to do before I do it and ALWAYS know how to get around me safely. I know how to make the margin of error gigantic. I almost never feel afraid on the road except when some self-entitled psychopath who doesn't know the rules of the road threatens me because he thinks he's too important to share the road with bicyclists. Even then I'm not that scared because those people are just trying to scare me, which ironically makes me not so scared.
billdsd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #188
billdsd

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Those TfL figures are pulled out of the arse. On a normal mountain bike you max out at 20 mph while pedalling furiously on top gear. A hybrid bike gives you a slight edge over a mountain bike, and of course a road bike probably pushes it to around 30. I guess your bike is one of the latter. A Boris bike is absolutely awful - much slower than the slowest of mountain bikes.

It's not just about top-speeds either - acceleration is important. The only way to acheive 0-20 in 6 seconds is by going through the gears, which less than 10% of cyclists do.
Really?

I normally ride a road bike on the road. On my road bike, I can only pedal my top gear (50-11) on a downhill and I can spin up to about 45 mph or so with a decent hill. When it gets faster than that, I have to just coast but I don't ride many hills steep enough for that. A lot of riders have 53-11's. 25 years ago I rode a 54-12. I'm a little old for that sort of gear now.

My mountain bike's top gear is a little lower but I can pedal that up to about 35mph on the road.

I see lots of cyclists going through their gears besides me. Your 10% figure is silly at best.
billdsd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #189
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 1039

I tend to not break 30. I don't feel safe and on segregated routes I think going too fast is reckless. The segregated route I use follows the shore at Tipner and is used by pedestrians and dogwalkers, going too fast is putting them and myself at risk. With a good hill I could top 45 easily but I won't.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #190
spindrift

I topped 50 coming down the Tourmalet but I fishtailed on some scree and decided to slow down. Had to burn those shorts.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #191
ill tonkso

What was the speed limit there? Another reason I tend not to top 30 is the speed limit. A lot of roads here are 20 too.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #192
spindrift

No idea, but I wasn't the fastest cyclist by a long way. The chances of the French cops fining cyclists on the most famous climb in Europe seems unlikely.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #193
spindrift

Sorry for linking to the Daily Heil but this is interesting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ents-cars.html

Quote:
Killjoy PC accused of 'petty meddling' as he halts pre-school nativity play to order parents to move their cars
PC Paul Baker interrupted show to ask parents to move their parked cars
Parents' cars were blocking pavements and a doctor's surgery parking
PC Baker accused of 'petty meddling' at Redehall Prep School in Surrey
He says: 'I wasn't wagging my finger - any neighbourhood PC would do it'
You can tell from the words the headline writer uses what their stance on the story is, "killjoy" copper asks parents to move their cars during a nativity play. And yet, the comments are almost universally supportive of the copper! The cars were dumped on pavements and verges, nobody with a pram or in a wheelchair could get past. The vehicles were blocking access to a doctor's surgery. this sort of anti-social behaviour is endemic in London, drivers abandon their vehicles on pavements, completely blocking them so anyone on foot has to walk in the road. Complain to the cops and they say it's a council matter, complain to the council and they say it's up to the cops. It's an offence to drive a car on the pavement, yet it's almost never enforced.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #194
ill tonkso

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
No idea, but I wasn't the fastest cyclist by a long way. The chances of the French cops fining cyclists on the most famous climb in Europe seems unlikely.
That doesn't make it acceptable though. Speed limits are speed limits.

I think police need to enforce the lights law more too. It's endemic around here.
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #195
spindrift

Unlit cyclists can be annoying, they are a factor in less than 2% of accidents:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...ccidents-study

Usually it's the driver's fault.
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #196
ill tonkso

If they aren't lit it is their own fault for breaking the law. If a car driver drives with no lights they are fined on the spot, cyclists get away with it most of the time.
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #197
spindrift

If you compare the number of drivers who admit using a mobile at the wheel with the conviction rates, fewer than 2% actually get caught. Look at the Mary Bowers story above and ask yourself whether fining premiership footballers Ģ60 is fair and just. Same with speeding, there are only 3000 cameras covering the entire road network. Drivers get away with breaking the law every single day, and trafpol are being cut even further.
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #198
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
A brilliant article about civilising London's spaces, most of what I've talked about a lot at length on here over the years.

http://www.jonestheplanner.co.uk/201...on-spaces.html

The final paragraph should be a warning to us all.
An even more brilliant comment

Quote:
David Arditti said...

Good article, but one thing I disagree on is the shared space in Byng Place. I have blogged about this here.

I think the Byng Place shared space messed up a perfectly good design that was there previously and damaged the cycle route. Shared space is an appropriate treatment for final destinations, not for places intended as high-capacity strategic routes, be they routes for cars or routes for bikes.

The Dutch get this right in general, and do not put shared space on strategic bike links, but keep clear separation where throughput with speed and safety is required. I have blogged elsewhere about the need to understand correctly the Dutch model of facilitating active travel. We have a tendency in the UK to try to selectively take out unrepresentative parts of their model and apply them inappropriately, as at Byng place and Exhibition Road.

31 May 2012 06:04
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #199
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdsd View Post
blah blah blah blah
All of your comments are at cross-purposes to mine. Either you didn't read what I wrote carefully, or you didn't understand it, or you've inferred things that aren't actually there.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #200
cnapan

Likes (Received): 124

If anyone is reading this and wondering whether it can be much fun cycling in London, I had another nice trip home this evening. I decided to count the number of occasions where a car driver was courteous to me on my bike or where an 'agressive cyclist' was causing mischief. My statistics are:

-courtesy from car drivers (e.g. observing my right of way down a road whose other carriageway was blocked by a parked car, or holding back from overtaking till safe) - a good 20 or 30 (I gave up counting by the end of my 10 mile trip).

-mad car drivers: no dangerous ones, but a couple of pointless overtakes-before-red-lights-and-traffic-jams.

-mad cyclists: one irritating chap who didn't see me filtering down the outside of some stationary traffic and decided to cross from inside to outside without looking. I'm always prepared! And a good handful of people cycling through reds, though tonight at least not when people were crossing. Still irritates though.

-mad pedestrians: One brave fool trying to zig-zag through the bunched up buses, taxis, motorbikes and cyclists by Green Park tube. Luckily we *all* saw him!

-courteous pedestrians: Loads. I even waved at a couple to thank them!

So, whilst reading this thread may make you think it is a war out there, actually, it isn't so bad. I don't want to downplay those very bad incidents which do happen, but often you can preempt them and avoid unpleasantness.

My golden rule whether in a car or on a bike is to consider that it really ought not to matter if my journey is held up for an extra 2 or 3 minutes. People do respond to courtesy, so all we need to do is to try to encourage everyone to be like that!

(Glass is half full as you can see!)
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: