daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland For projects and construction in Belfast and the North

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.74 average.
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #321
thebig C

Likes (Received): 127

Thanks Ripper Roo

Wow, that looks pretty quality. I am very pleasantly surprised. Based on that illustration it looks like the materials used are of very high quality and the overall design is very modern. It is certainly alot better then many of the new 15-20k seater barns built in the lower leagues of the UK. Actually, if I didn't know the capacity I would say it looked more like a 30k seater!

I know there are meant to be 2 new-build stands and 2 refurbished stands but it looks like one of the stands is having so much done in terms of its integrated roof (etc) that you'd wonder why they didn't just build one 270 degree "new" structure.
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #322
aaronniuk

Likes (Received): 8

The Stadium looks fantastic and I'm just glad that its not just a typical bowl design. Looks great. I hope they do something with all the space around the ground, like some sort of fanzone to add to the pre game build up
aaronniuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #323
Ripper_Roo_NI

Likes (Received): 2

Available to view at Olympia Leisure Centre and Belfast City Hall.

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #324
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2342

I like it! It's modern without being OTT and a perfectly good national stadium.

Yes it's not as glamorous and spectacular as some new national stadia, but I think this suits and it's fit for purpose. The IFA have done a great job!

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #325
Ripper_Roo_NI

Personally, I am not convinced about it. I have always been against bowl or half bowl (in thios case) stadiums and this is no different to me. However it is better than what is already there and will be fit for use at international level, although the Blueman in me is concerned at what this will be like domestically throughout the footballing season with regards to being even more empty, green seats (possibly) and stadium naming rights being sold off to the highest bidder.
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #326
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper_Roo_NI View Post
Personally, I am not convinced about it. I have always been against bowl or half bowl (in thios case) stadiums and this is no different to me. However it is better than what is already there and will be fit for use at international level, although the Blueman in me is concerned at what this will be like domestically throughout the footballing season with regards to being even more empty, green seats (possibly) and stadium naming rights being sold off to the highest bidder.

I see your point, but to be fair, that's part of the compromise fans will have to make for having public money used to effectively build a brand new stadium. I don't see the naming rights being an issue, Windsor Park is likely to remain.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #327
jpgjohnnyg
boondock

Likes (Received): 26

Very impressive! to be honest I had to look twice as it does look more like a 35000 seater stadium. Hopefully it will inspire the team to start playing some football. Cant wait to see plans for Casement now to see what they can do with 75million. Im sure Ulster rugby will be asking themselves why they didnt ask for more money lol.
jpgjohnnyg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #328
jpgjohnnyg
boondock

Likes (Received): 26

One point though if they can wrap the new roof over one existing stand then why not both old stands to make it look better.
jpgjohnnyg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM   #329
thebig C

Thanks for those renders! It does look pretty good! Based on the budget I think they have done pretty well.

I am'nt that familiar with the area, but after Ripper Roo described it to me a few pages back I had a look at google-maps. On that basis, if they were absolutely wedded to the idea of retaining the North Stand and not shifting the Stadium several hunbdred feet onto the neighbouring pitches, I am a little surprised that they didn't opt to demolish the West Stand and extend a little towards Boucher Rd. If they had done that they could have accommodated upper tier seating on the East and West Stands along with Both corner sections. This would have probably boosted capacity to 25k or so which is still managable. Remember, figures of 35-45k were bandied around for the Maze Stadium and I think even the "Blanchflower Stadium" was 25-30K.

Having said that, this will still be a vast improvement!

C
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:29 PM   #330
thebig C

Quote:
Have you guys ever thought of selling off Windsor and building a smaller but more appropriately scaled stadium for Irish League games? I know there is a historical attachment but it could end up working out better. And, then Windsor would be more of a National Stadium for Cup finals/European games.

C
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:31 PM   #331
thebig C

Quote:
Just a thought but there are new multi-coloured interspirced seating patterns (used alot in Germany) which make vast tracts of empty seating alot less obvious. Do you know the type I mean??
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #332
aaronniuk

Likes (Received): 8

just a news article on Government stadium grants

http://www.stadiumguide.com/new-stad...thern-ireland/
aaronniuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:39 PM   #333
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 224

The new Windsor Park looks really good. It will be a well-executed refurbish if it lives up to the renders on the information boards. What do you think about the capacity though? 18,000 strikes me as quite limited considering it's intended to be the national football stadium of Northern Ireland, a place with 1.8 million (and growing) people. By way of comparison, Thomond Park, the provincial stadium of Munster, a region of 1.2 million people can accommodate 26,000 (not to mention Musgrave Park in Cork). Similarly, Semple Stadium is the main GAA stadium of Munster and it can hold crowds of 55,000. Surely Windsor Park should have a 30,000 seat capacity at least. All this being said, it is a very promising development and will be a distinctive stadium once completed.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:30 PM   #334
Ripper_Roo_NI

Windsor Park is on the edge on a heavily built up residential area, so I would be sure that the planning dept would not allow the capacity to raise much higher than 18,00, if at all. At the moment Northern Ireland international games are not pulling in sell-outs like a few years ago, and at the moment there is less than 12,500 seats in the ground. It wouldn't also make sense to make it a 30,000 seat as Linfield FC (owners of the land) don't even attract 2000 to a league game nowadays as opposed to over 6,000 for a regular league game when i began going every week.

Above renders are not complete final representation of the final design, this is an artist's impression. So we still do not know what the final product will look like yet.
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #335
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Windsor Park is on the edge on a heavily built up residential area, so I would be sure that the planning dept would not allow the capacity to raise much higher than 18,00, if at all. At the moment Northern Ireland international games are not pulling in sell-outs like a few years ago, and at the moment there is less than 12,500 seats in the ground. It wouldn't also make sense to make it a 30,000 seat as Linfield FC (owners of the land) don't even attract 2000 to a league game nowadays as opposed to over 6,000 for a regular league game when i began going every week.

Above renders are not complete final representation of the final design, this is an artist's impression. So we still do not know what the final product will look like yet.
Thanks for the clarification Ripper Roo. When you put it like that, it's only sensible that the capacity is 18 rather than 30,000. Still, that's a bit disappointing all the same.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #336
thebig C

Great result against Portugal btw! Although, you do have a quality coach in MON. A few Rovers fans I know would give their eye teeth to have him back!
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #337
LiamG

Do all N.Ireland Clubs get the chance to apply for grants for stadium improvements/new stadiums??

Does the money come from the IFA or the government?
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #338
Ripper_Roo_NI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
Do all N.Ireland Clubs get the chance to apply for grants for stadium improvements/new stadiums??

Does the money come from the IFA or the government?
All clubs can apply for a grant, provided they can meet 15% of the total cost of the project.

Money is from DCAL through Sport NI
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #339
Ripper_Roo_NI

From BBC

Quote:
Irish FA submits planning application for Windsor project

The Irish FA says work on the Windsor Park redevelopment is due to begin next September after it formally submitted its planning application for the project.
Around £29.2m is being spent on the Windsor Park project which will raise the stadium's capacity to 18,000.
The IFA said on Tuesday that work will begin next September "if the plans are given the green light".
The submission of the application follows a consultation process.
People across Northern Ireland were given the opportunity to submit thoughts on the project after viewing the the planning application.
The design team, led by RPS Consulting Engineers, and the IFA then finalised the planning application before its submission.
"RPS are pleased that the planning application and supporting environmental reports have been submitted on time," said Raymond Holbeach from RPS.
"The planning application has been submitted following an intensive period of community and statutory body consultation as well as completion of environmental and transport assessments that influenced the development of the design for the Stadium.
"The redeveloped Stadium will result in environmental benefits for the local community including reduction in noise and light pollution."
IFA chief executive Patrick Nelson said he was "delighted that the planning application has finally been submitted".
"We had made it a key target to have our planning application submitted by this date and I am delighted that we have achieved this," added the IFA chief.
"The design for our redeveloped National Stadium truly is impressive, and I would like to thank everyone who took the time to give their thoughts and ideas to us during the community consultation process.
"I know that the new Windsor Park will be a stadium we will all be proud of."
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #340
thebig C

I saw an item on the redevelopment on the News last week. Did they release any more illustrations as part of the planning app?

Ripper Roo....I know you are a blueman....given that Linfield will be fairly imtimately involved would you have access to more detailed renders?

C

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: