daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #61
limerickguy

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
Great to hear of this redevelopment, limerickguy. Hopefully the construction workers employed will spend a lot on hospitality and provide the city with a big economic boost. Any chance of a few renders or pictures? Those would help us non-Limerickicians to get a sense of how this development will change the city.

Limerick is shaping up to having quite a good decade in this one. It's already been a European City of Sport, it will be the Irish City of Culture in 2014 and Limerick Redevelopment should finally gain traction after all the fuss and delay. Places like Milk Market are in existence, King John's Castle holds great potential and this announcement is a further boost. After being in Galway and Cork's shadow for quite a while, it could be Limerick's time to be the Irish regional city du jour.
I havent found any plans as of yet but this like will give you a very rough description of what it will look like!

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/li...lans-1-4220532
limerickguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 8th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #62
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerickguy View Post
I havent found any plans as of yet but this like will give you a very rough description of what it will look like!

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/li...lans-1-4220532
Thanks limerickguy. Much appreciated. What the honourable ladies are holding up look quite reminiscent of the plans for DIT up here. Hopefully this gets through planning and funding stages with less ado than DIT which has had quite a stop-start road to reality. By the way, are these three college grounds far from each other or are they all in the same part of the city?
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #63
limerickguy

Quote:
Thanks limerickguy. Much appreciated. What the honourable ladies are holding up look quite reminiscent of the plans for DIT up here. Hopefully this gets through planning and funding stages with less ado than DIT which has had quite a stop-start road to reality. By the way, are these three college grounds far from each other or are they all in the same part of the city?
I suspect planning permission would be a lot easier to optain down here for this project due to its location.

The 3 campuses are not too far from each other, the clare street campus is on the north west fringe of town (still very much in the city centre), the main campus is on the northside beside thomond park..I would say maybe 25 mins walk from each other so not that far at all..the proposed new campus is for the area of coonagh which is still on the northside of the city (more to the edge of the city) about 30 minutes walk from the main campus.

Coonagh would be situated beside the suburb of caherdavin which houses a lot of the lit students so it does make sence to have it out there as it would be the only land available on the northside for any considerable development.

I heard that the area for the new campus was to be located in the grounds of the existing coonagh cross shopping centre site whice would be half built so very interesting!

Ill try to make a map to show where the 3 campuses are located!
Old September 8th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #64
limerickguy

[QUOTE=limerickguy;94907070]I suspect planning permission would be a lot easier to optain down here for this project due to its location.

The 3 campuses are not too far from each other, the clare street campus is on the north west fringe of town (still very much in the city centre), the main campus is on the northside beside thomond park..I would say maybe 25 mins walk from each other so not that far at all..the proposed new campus is for the area of coonagh which is still on the northside of the city (more to the edge of the city) about 30 minutes walk from the main campus.

Coonagh would be situated beside the suburb of caherdavin which houses a lot of the lit students so it does make sence to have it out there as it would be the only land available on the northside for any considerable development.

I heard that the area for the new campus was to be located in the grounds of the existing coonagh cross shopping centre site whice would be half built so very interesting!
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #65
Dvblvnia

Quote:

Ill try to make a map to show where the 3 campuses are located!
Thanks limerickguy, much appreciated! This should also enable Limerick to become more of a student town. With UL located on the outskirts it'll be great to have a high-quality third-level institute located amongst the hustle and bustle of the city. Students give places great energy and variety.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #66
limerickguy

Quote:
Thanks limerickguy, much appreciated! This should also enable Limerick to become more of a student town. With UL located on the outskirts it'll be great to have a high-quality third-level institute located amongst the hustle and bustle of the city. Students give places great energy and variety.
I think UL have applied for a couple of buildings to be used in the city centre too as they are running out of accomodation over in castletroy so that would be cool aswell; I think that opera centre site is being viewed as a deffinate area for accomodation
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #67
limerickguy

Latest news down here in Limerick is that the Limerick Metropolitan Population is to treble within the next 20 years to a staggering 250,000!

here is the link

http://www.limerickpost.ie/digital/2012/2012-11-17/
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #68
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Latest news down here in Limerick is that the Limerick Metropolitan Population is to treble within the next 20 years to a staggering 250,000!

here is the link

http://www.limerickpost.ie/digital/2012/2012-11-17/
This looks good, they could expand that article a bot more though, can't wait to see the plans they're gonna try to do in order to reach that
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #69
JD47

Likes (Received): 191

That is great to hear.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #70
limerickguy

Some of the plans that I have seen for limerick back in the boom are actually starting to come to place over the last few months or so. Limerick in the next couple of years is going to be a real centre for growth and urban renewal. With the city and county councils merging the city centre is finally going to be seen as the main focus of development, the university will be now building in town, creating travel buzz again with students, the opera shopping centre will be built, there's a new digital bus system planned, the mid west regional hospital will be changed to university hospital limerick as the university now has a medicine school. We are also extremely lucky to have the city council owning strategic buildings and land in the centre of town..ideal for new development.

Limerick now needs to see proper investment from the government once this merger of the councils happens, this will lift the small boundary and overnight limerick will have a population of something like 115,000 so that should ultimately be the official beginning of the "rise of the new limerick!"
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #71
Seravia

Likes (Received): 5

Nice to see there are some forward thinking people in places of power.

Quote:
We need a city that can grow sustainably, where you can commute in ten minutes, walk everywhere, and send children to school around the corner.
That line in particular makes my hopeful. I'd also like to know more about some of the "projects" mentioned.
Seravia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #72
Rapter
Advanced

Today as I walked through the centre, I oversaw some road works on the street by the river (the whole section between Shannon and Sarsfield bridges). Thought it was a regular repaving upgrade, however when I came closer, noticed this:

P.S. sorry about the size, just thought, it'll be better to see more detailed picture
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #73
limerickguy

Thats part of the city centre remodelling scheme..

It will be a really nice improvement to the area, really open the place up!

Rapter liked this post
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #74
Dvblvnia

Well Limerick should be aiming to grow to something like 250,000 over the next few decades. Itís already the main urban settlement in the Midwest so naturally the large part of population growth in that region should be in Limerick, particularly its centre. It would also support the long term viability of hospital, school, bus transport and other services in Limerick city. Shops, museums, theatres, stadia, cinemas and so on would also see a great uplift in footfall and patronage as the critical mass of Limerick city increases from roughly 100 to 250,000.

This critical mass is one of the main reasons why Dublin seems to have weathered the recession that little bit better than the rest of the country. Over 1.4 million people live within 20km of OíConnell St. This means that there is a deep reservoir of people, workers, consumers and travellers who all support various sectors of the cityís economy simply by going about their daily business. Itís axiomatic that itís better to have 100,000 walking down your street every day than 50,000 if you have a business on it. Dublin has much busier streets than any other city in Ireland which means that it tends to have busier businesses.

Hopefully Limerick can grow to have a slightly larger population than Cork currently over the medium term. Balanced regional development demands the strong yet sustainable growth of all our cities and large towns. Limerick is one of those focuses which need to be supported if we want to have a manageable pattern of settlement. Sligo is an example of a regional centre gone wrong. Ostensibly it would be the hub of the BMW region what with its IT, railway station, hospital, port, shopping areas, hotels etc. but extremely bad planning has resulted in it losing population since 2006 while the national population increases 8%. Sligo is failing to exert itself as a regional centre with huge hidden costs for the county, Leitrim, South Donegal and Eastern Mayo. All those places would benefit from a thriving Sligo town. The focus for Limerick should to be to avoid this fate (which is possible, given the decline in population of the area governed by Limerick City Council) and prosper.
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #75
Rapter
Advanced

Looks like a great project indeed, thanks for more pictures Limerickguy.

By the way, I've also noticed yesterday, that some construction equipment was brought to the closed down petrol station (the one just beside Colbert) would you know by any chance what's happening there?
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #76
limerickguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter View Post
Looks like a great project indeed, thanks for more pictures Limerickguy.

By the way, I've also noticed yesterday, that some construction equipment was brought to the closed down petrol station (the one just beside Colbert) would you know by any chance what's happening there?
Im not too sure about that, I heard something about the train station expanding but i'll get an answer for you asap..

As mentioned a few weeks ago with the newly revised bus service in the city the RTPI which is this

Are being installed around the city as we speak, they are the exact same as the ones in Dublin by the looks of it.

Also here is some more info about the possible bikes scheme.

http://nationaltransport.ie/download...r-Limerick.pdf

Ya if you look at the centre of Limerick to the likes of Galway, Waterford..and im not sure about Cork theres actually a huge city centre community, and the density is a lot higher than most cities in Ireland, I think if the next step which is the proposed expansion of UL into the centre of town starts, i think Limerick can really get a claim back to what its potential should be..examples of density im talking about.

Potential land for redevelopment near city centre

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #77
Dvblvnia

So you're getting RTPI in Limerick? Hurray! It's been a godsend here in Dublin, it takes so much of the guesswork and uncertainty out of travelling around. Hopefully it's introduced a bit quicker than it was here. The poles were up for months in some places before screens were installed and months before some of those screens were turned on. Now that it's all up and running with the smartphone app it's difficult to credit that just three years ago all this seemed only a fantasy and you could spend ages shivering along the quays in the vain hope your bus would turn up sometime soon. This ends for Limerick next year and I, for one, am very glad.
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #78
limerickguy

Theyre actually undergoing testing this week in the city, heres a picture from the Limerick Leader, and the article below

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/bu...rick-1-4555862
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #79
Dvblvnia

Quote:
Theyre actually undergoing testing this week in the city, heres a picture from the Limerick Leader, and the article below

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/bu...rick-1-4555862
Even better! They were in testing for a few months in Dublin too - I see February is given as a date for them to "go live" but in reality the test period was about as accurate as when they went to full service. Thankfully a lot of the preparatory work for this system is now in place -AVLS, website, data connections etc. so the implementation should be relatively straightforward in Limerick, Galway and Waterford. You also dodged a bullet related to the Official Languages Act. Some person with too much time on their hands objected to the Dublin screens being exclusively in English as it somehow contravened Irish's status as the first language of the State. Never mind that mainly tourists will be relying on the screens for whom Irish is completely alien, most of the placenames mentioned on the screens don't have real Irish translations and that Dublin is an overwhelmingly English-speaking city. This person managed to overrule these practical reasons for having English-only signs using the Constitution. What's worse is that he didn't even use the signs and is unlikely to do so on a regular basis as he lives somewhere out in West Galway. It seems that Transport for Ireland have pre-empted this by making all signs bilingual.
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #80
citybus

Likes (Received): 64

Are the bus time indicators in Limerick & Dublin correct or are they just digital readings of the paper timetables? I know the Luas indicators are very accurate, whereas last month the Belfast bus indicators tried to convince me that two invisible buses had arrived. Had I believed them I would have waited for 45 minutes. Sadly these false bus indicators seem to be the norm in Britain but if it was up to me I'd turn them off because lying to customers does more harm than good.
citybus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: