daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old December 11th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5741
design_man

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetlife1 View Post
This is a Warrington story in the Liverpool section.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-20507654
If you go to both pages this evening you will see a link to a Warrington news story only on the Manchester page, not on the Liverpool page.

The BBC have confirmed that Warrington stories ought to be placed on the Liverpool page, and they are investigating.
design_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 12th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #5742
Streetlife1

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_man View Post
If you go to both pages this evening you will see a link to a Warrington news story only on the Manchester page, not on the Liverpool page.

The BBC have confirmed that Warrington stories ought to be placed on the Liverpool page, and they are investigating.
Yeah your right the Liverpool Road police station closure that's right on the border with Merseyside.
Streetlife1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #5743
Pablo Diablo

Likes (Received): 99

Nice little piece on BBC national news about a primary school in Fairfield that's helped their kids lose excess weight by having dance classes
Pablo Diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #5744
Dingle All The Way

Likes (Received): 44

Celebrity Scouse Come dine with me on channel 4 all this week.
Dingle All The Way está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM   #5745
General Zod returns

Likes (Received): 86

Article in the daily mash.

Liverpool face tough bigotry test

21-12-12

ZENIT St Petersburg will pose Liverpool FC a massive bigotry test, admits manager Brendan Rogers.

Special US consultant ‘Cleetus’ is working with the team

The two teams were drawn in the Lidl Champions League, and Liverpool face an uphill battle to prove themselves the more racist and homophobic team.

Rogers said: “I’ve got the lads watching old Bernard Manning tapes to work on their pin-eyed hatred and we’re travelling to a rural pub in Yorkshire tomorrow with a gay dance troupe from Namibia to study how the locals react.

“People have been bigging up this club’s intolerance and Zenit are a massive challenge as they’re so suspicious of outsiders they blew up their own airport to stop any strangers coming to town.

“We’re having to get a coach there. You cannot buy that level of commitment to being a small-minded moron. Unless you’re Chelsea, obviously.”

Zenit fans recently wrote to their board insisting they never sign black or gay players. Previous requests for things they don’t want at their ground have included ‘anyone who eats salad’ and ‘anyone who has been to an art gallery’.

Liverpool are hoping the racism of Suarez combined with the homophobia of Suso will be enough to see off Zenit but admit this might falter in the face of 65,000 drunk Russians armed with road flares.

Rogers said:”If all else fails we can get the lads to call everyone in the stands ‘Boris’ and offer them a bottle of vodka. Expensive and time-consuming but a really comprehensive stab at being a xenophobic arse.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/...-2012122154356
General Zod returns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5746
Streetlife1

Likes (Received): 96

Don't start all that Racism stuff again that was about as funny as cancer.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM   #5747
MR KITE

Likes (Received): 181

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_11_Cheshire/

Flog It! comes from the stunning gardens at Tatton Park in Cheshire, and also from Liverpool's historic docks.

Meanwhile, Paul takes a closer look at the lost treasures of Liverpool - some of its historic buildings which may no longer exist, but have left a lasting imprint on the city.

Including Liverpool Castle, Customs House, Sailors Home and Overhead Railway.

Last edited by MR KITE; December 22nd, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
MR KITE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #5748
design_man

Excellent film for Christmas - at least the opening sequences.
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #5749
gottago

Likes (Received): 9

I notice Liverpool has finally been added to the list of cities you can get trends for on Twitter.
gottago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5750
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 698

Interesting this. Of all the songs that appeared on the Christmas TOTP yesterday only the Justice Collective's 'He's not heavy' was not identified by the name of the band nor that of the song. Before it came on, it was introduced with "here's your Christmas number one". And at the end: "well that was your Christmas number one", after which the programme ended. Good old BBC.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #5751
gottago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Interesting this. Of all the songs that appeared on the Christmas TOTP yesterday only the Justice Collective's 'He's not heavy' was not identified by the name of the band nor that of the song. Before it came on, it was introduced with "here's your Christmas number one". And at the end: "well that was your Christmas number one", after which the programme ended. Good old BBC.
Well yes, it was prerecorded a week last Thursday before they could know who was number 1. If James Arthur had been number 1 then his live performance would have been slotted into the bit where the Justice Collective was with the same generic links.
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #5752
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Sounds dodge to me.
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5753
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1255

I understood the lack of a specific mention to be down to the reason mentioned by gottago. That said, by the day of recording it was pretty obvious that the battle for Christmas Number One was a two-horse race. Surely it wouldn't have taken that long to record two versions, one for each single (perhaps even still doing a third generic one like the one they used just in case an unexpected outsider grabbed the top spot at the last minute)? It they were going to edit the James Arthur single into a different part of the show had he won, they could easily have edited in whichever of the Christmas Number One intros they needed too.

I also don't understand why they edited He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother short. Surely the one song that should get a full play is the Christmas Number One? Still I suppose at least in their edit, they left in the word Justice lit in candles, and the names of the 96. To edit those out would have been absolutely unforgivable.
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #5754
gottago

Quote:
Sounds dodge to me.
...why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Surely it wouldn't have taken that long to record two versions, one for each single (perhaps even still doing a third generic one like the one they used just in case an unexpected outsider grabbed the top spot at the last minute)?
They didn't do that because there was no point. It would have taken more time to film and edit, this year's TOTP was done on an absolute shoe-string budget. The majority of people who would have noticed the generic link would have been the idiots desperately trying to accuse the BBC of anti-Liverpool rhetoric.
Quote:
I also don't understand why they edited He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother short. Surely the one song that should get a full play is the Christmas Number One? Still I suppose at least in their edit, they left in the word Justice lit in candles, and the names of the 96. To edit those out would have been absolutely unforgivable.
Simply because the videos are less enjoyable to watch than live performances. They used to do this during the regular TOTP series (and CD:UK) as well when they couldn't get the number 1 in the studio. A live performance will ultimately be unique whereas a video is something that you are likely to see multiple times on different channels and online. Nothing anti-Liverpool about it, just typical of any music chart show, though the TOTP Xmas special is just about the only music chart show around these days.
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #5755
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1255

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottago View Post
Nothing anti-Liverpool about it, just typical of any music chart show, though the TOTP Xmas special is just about the only music chart show around these days.
I didn't think for a moment there was any anti-Liverpool sentiment behind, I just found it strange to edit down the Christmas Number One, the most important song in the programme.
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #5756
SteH

Likes (Received): 59

This is Peter Hooton's facebook status update which says the end was edited.

"In case you missed it Xmas Day TOTP's- pity they edited the end but we weren't popular winnerswith music indusrty types as 'indie' releases aren't supposed to do this but 'the people' made sure we did! Thanks to everyone who got behind it!"
SteH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #5757
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Quote:
I didn't think for a moment there was any anti-Liverpool sentiment behind, I just found it strange to edit down the Christmas Number One, the most important song in the programme.
Gotta (who by-the-by is being a berk) has provided a mechanical explanation for why the song was not identified at all. And that may be true. However, given the importance of the song and what it stands for, if they had the will or inclination to correct the problem of this, the most meaningful Christmas number one for a generation (on the Christmas No. 1 show!) they easily could have. But they didn't and it's interesting that they didn't. You will never know but I wonder if for example another "support our cannon fodder war criminal mercenaries" track had come out they wouldn't have bothered attempting to tell people what it was. I'll bet they would have. They'd have daren't not to have. Media bias is subtle and often unconscious but of course it exists.
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #5758
gottago

Quote:
Gotta (who by-the-by is being a berk)
Only because you were.

Quote:
has provided a mechanical explanation for why the song was not identified at all. And that may be true.
I can confirm that that is true.

Quote:
However, given the importance of the song and what it stands for, if they had the will or inclination to correct the problem of this, the most meaningful Christmas number one for a generation (on the Christmas No. 1 show!) they easily could have.
I'm sorry, and this obviously isn't going to be popular at all on this forum, but that is entirely subjective. Just as the Justice Collective meant so much to a lot of people this year, the Military Wives being number 1 last year will have meant so much to a lot of people.

In fact I've just watched back the portion of TOTP that Justice featured in and I was expecting it to last around two minutes or so as would be normal, but no, it lasts 3 and a half minutes. That is extraordinarily, perhaps uniquely, long for a music video on Top of the Pops. Quickly looking at last year's TOTP special on the BBC's internal player the Military Wives got a total of 2 minutes and 40(ish) seconds.

Quote:
They'd have daren't not to have. Media bias is subtle and often unconscious but of course it exists.
It's comical that you take this all from an innocent link to camera that lasted a few seconds and was quite obviously made with the intention of being usable no matter what was number one given that they, at that point, did not know who the number one would be. "Media bias" in a fucking light music programme? Get real.

Some people on this forum would be staggered by the amount of people who come from Liverpool and work behind the scenes at the BBC. Several of my colleagues are from Liverpool, another's from the Wirral and one's from Southport. I know at least four other people in the department who've been to uni in Liverpool, one of whom stayed in the city for 10 years afterwards and travels from London to Liverpool each weekend. The head of daytime (who announced his departure last week to become director of Sky1) is a Scouser. One of the heads of BBC Entertainment in Salford is from Heswall and still lives there. All my other colleagues represent the rest of the UK (and indeed further afield) very well - television most definitely is not an industry made up of Londoners. No one there hates Liverpool. Contrary to popular belief on this forum that is not actually the mentality of the British people. No one makes programmes in the hope that they can diminish the reputation of Liverpool.

Mistakes are always going to be made somewhere; someone researching a fact incorrectly and getting it wrong, not casting enough participants from an area as they should have; but this astonishingly minor moment on a music programme viewed by less than four million people was absolutely not in any way biased against Liverpool or the Justice Collective.
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #5759
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Ah now we have it: you work in that industry (and for that organisation) and are being defensive.
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #5760
design_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottago View Post
Some people on this forum would be staggered by the amount of people who come from Liverpool and work behind the scenes at the BBC. Several of my colleagues are from Liverpool, another's from the Wirral and one's from Southport. I know at least four other people in the department who've been to uni in Liverpool, one of whom stayed in the city for 10 years afterwards and travels from London to Liverpool each weekend. The head of daytime (who announced his departure last week to become director of Sky1) is a Scouser. One of the heads of BBC Entertainment in Salford is from Heswall and still lives there. All my other colleagues represent the rest of the UK (and indeed further afield) very well - television most definitely is not an industry made up of Londoners. No one there hates Liverpool. Contrary to popular belief on this forum that is not actually the mentality of the British people. No one makes programmes in the hope that they can diminish the reputation of Liverpool.
You misunderstand the nature of bias. People from Liverpool are often unable to be loyal to their city in the way people from other cities (such as Manchester) are - part of their professionalism has to be about rising above parochialism and local loyalty, indeed sometimes tolerating anti-Liverpool prejudice despite inwardly finding it distasteful. It's how people get on.

The claim that "no-one hates Liverpool" is fanciful: I know a number of professional Mancunians who certainly have a tribal and parochial contempt for Liverpool (in a way that one never encounters in reverse from professional Liverpudlians). They do discriminate when they can. Why do you think Liverpool has been systematically rubbished by the BBC (from Manchester) for decades? Because a handful of scousers have been unable to overturn deeply ingrained parochial paranoia from a neighbouring town?

Tags
media