daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 691

Porters Field | Dudley Town Centre | Prop

Details on the new supermarket to be built in Dudley Town centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
app for Dudley Town Centre

Quote:
Planning Application Details
Web Reference:
Application Date:
Planning Application Reference: P12/1042

Registration Date: 17-Aug-2012
Decision Date:
Application Type: Outline Planning Permission

Area: Development Control - North

Main Location: Land between, Birmingham Street, Hall Street, Dudley Southern Bypass,, Claughton Road and Portersfield, Dudley, West Midlands

Proposal: Redevelopment to provide retail superstore (A1), further retail, service and leisure accommodation (A1, A3, D2), conversion, redevelopment and alteration of premises along Hall Street to accommodate A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, B1 uses, taxi rank and office, transport interchange, public space, petrol filling station, highways and access works, car parking, landscaping and associated works (outline)(access to be considered)

http://goo.gl/j0Sxv

Last edited by SimonTheSoundMan; August 23rd, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM   #2
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

I hate to sound like a NIMBY, but I find another supermarket, especially one so close to the high street and markets very worrying. The effect it will have on trade and also or the tramway to stop outside the proposed supermarket will make this effect even stronger. This area should be for leisure and office space, similar to Bridleyplace and the Waterfront in Brierly Hill.

Proposals for a food store at Coseley Eco Park has had trouble with it having an effect on Dudley, but Dudley MBC are considering one in the town centre?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
sefton66

Likes (Received): 472

It's an awkward one to call, this will provide additional retail space and much needed parking in the town centre which would struggle to get an office development off the ground, the supermarket at coseley Eco park takes people away from the town centre, this will bring them into the town centre and hopefully encourage them to shop on the high st, however it also adds increased competition to the high st...
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM   #4
blahblahv2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Housing. They should be using this land for housing. Decent 3/4/5 bedroom houses with gardens.

The more internet shopping rises, the less demand there will be for Retail Premisses.
blahblahv2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

Can't this money go into demolishing Merry Hill?

I'm not really sure a housing element would really work on this site, being so close to the shopping centre. If the developers are sure they can make retail work here and have prospective them let them go for it, especially if it makes Dudley more competitive with Merry Hell. However I do share Simon's concerns about the supermarket. The key is getting it to work with the town centre rather than compete with it. It's a shame that the only seemingly certain retail investment going around at the moment is from the same old supermarkets.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #6
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ape View Post
I'll put this article here, well it's to do with Dudley. Anything better than what's there now & on the link they have 2 renders & what it looks like now

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...ng-into-focus/

With striking floor-to-ceiling glass walls and curved architecture, these images show how the development would transform an outdated office block in the town.

Cavendish Quarter Properties Ltd wants to build the superstore and petrol station where Cavendish House stands in Trindle Road.

Residents have been calling for the unsightly building to be knocked down for some time.

The images, released by the developer, show how the office block would be replaced with a modern supermarket with landscaped areas and an adjoining car park.

The proposals, which would bring up to 300 full and part-time positions, have now been recommended for approval by council planning officers.

They have backed the scheme saying it will bring employment to the town and revamp a partially derelict site, which has been earmarked for regeneration.

Under the plans, Cavendish House will be knocked down and the site, as well as neighbouring land, will be cleared to make way for the store and petrol station.

A total of 402 parking spaces would be created partly underneath the store and on two decked levels.

It would be operated as a free car park, limited to a two hour maximum stay.

It is not yet know which store chain would move into the site.

In a report planning officers said: “On balance even though there are acknowledge potential impacts on some existing food stores within Dudley and the catchment area, the proposed development will lead to the positive improvement of an existing, partly derelict Dudley town centre development site.”

The scheme has been welcomed by English Heritage, who said the development would “potentially help to improve the overall outlook towards the town centre from the castle”.

Chris McPherson, development director for Cavendish Quarter Properties, said: “A significant amount of work has gone into all aspects of this scheme to ensure it will bring a high quality development that will regenerate the town centre. Cavendish House and the surrounding area has been in need of redevelopment for many years and there is at long last an opportunity to see a high quality, commercially feasible and deliverable development which will see early construction and the removal of an eyesore at the gateway to the Town Centre. This food store will bring shoppers back into the town, will increase car parking provision and will provide around 300 jobs.

“If this opportunity is lost, this part of Dudley could be blighted for another generation.”

The scheme is one of three proposed new supermarkets in the town centre. Avenbury has also lodged plans for the Cavendish House site while Commercial Estates Group wants to build a store where Falcon House now stands in the Minories.

Ward councillor Steve Waltho said: “I have always welcomed any regeneration is this area.

“I know in the past some schemes have been put forward but they have never come to fruition.

“But I am glad that it looks like something positive will finally be happening here.

“It will smarten up the area and hopefully bring more people into the town.”
Reposted from http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1561582
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #7
sefton66

This will be interesting to see how it helps Dudley
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Red Ape

Likes (Received): 58

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...rmarket-plans/

Mixed response to Dudley supermarket plans
Councillors gave a mixed response to multi-million pound plans for a new supermarket in the centre of Dudley, as they agreed to delay making a decision on the regeneration scheme.

The council’s planning committee will visit the development site in Trindle Road next month before deciding whether to approve the proposals.

Members were shown artists’ impressions giving a glimpse of how the supermarket, which would bring 300 full-time and part-time jobs, could look.

While they all welcomed plans to demolish the “eyesore” office block Cavendish House, some were divided in their views on the project.

Councillor Stuart Turner agreed with the scheme “in principle” and the loss of the Cavendish House, which he said had been “ a blot on Dudley’s skyline for far too long”.

But he told last night’s meeting he was concerned that the development would not encourage people into the town centre because of people having to cross the busy Trindle Road.

“People are not going to cross six lanes of traffic to get into the town centre. People in cars will park at the new store, do their shopping and then go,” he said.

“What we have is a once- in-a-lifetime opportunity to get this decision right.”

His concerns were echoed by Councillor Qadar Zada who said he believed the development would be “segregated from the town centre”. But Councillor Tim Wright welcomed the chance to transform the run-down site, saying it would make “a positive contribution to the town centre”.

“We’ve finally got a scheme that’s going to regenerate this area, I can’t see anything wrong with this scheme at all,” he said.

Councillor Colin Wilson added: “It’s a pleasing design and beautifully landscaped.”
Red Ape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Red Ape

Likes (Received): 58

I was driving down the Duncan Edwards Way this morning & noted Wimpy Homes seem to be building houses on what was the controversial Mosque site.

Anyone have any details?

I have found this

http://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/newhom...woodallgrange/

I have seen nothing in the local media about this whatsoever
Red Ape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:50 PM   #10
sefton66

Anyone confirm whats underway? Appears to be a large site near the island by cousins furniture store that's being dug out?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:51 AM   #11
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

It's homes. Woodall Grange it is called, on Constitution Hill.

I went yesterday to look at the homes as I was interested in buying one. Not a single on of them has been built.

Sales centre wasn't open either, they were dropping the portacabins in place for it yesterday.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #12
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

I sit on the fence with this, Dudley really needs investment badly, but is a supermarket really necessary? There is already the huge Tesco on Burnt Tree Island (it'll always be Burnt Tree Island to me), and Asda is in the Town centre as well. If Dudley Council wants to get people back into Dudley then how about actually working harder to get Dudley it's railway back! Even if it's the Metro, it's a start, it'll allow people from much further afield to travel into the town.
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #13
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 976

I'd say yes. The only reason I personally visit Dudley is for the supermarket and almost never venture into the town centre, something I would do if said supermarket was on the high street like this proposal. Tesco is both too far yet too near to benefit the town.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON, GREATER BIRMINGHAM
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #14
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Only time I have been to Dudley in a year or so was when I needed some flower pots so went to Wilkinsons.

Retail isn't something I think about when I think Dudley. I do not know of any good restaurants or cafes in the town centre that would attract me there either.
Old February 25th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #15
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1026

Another reason to visit Dudley town centre - everything at the Poundland there is 95p.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #16
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 976

I'm surprised it even has one. This is Dudley, where a large department store can become an Iceland, and where another car park is far more important than retaining a historical theatre.

Just noticed some pretty nice buildings (the pub, etc) going down for this supermarket. Surely using up the empty and derelict land and shops should have been the first step, no?

I also think Cavendish House is a decent landmark and could easily have become the new Premier Inn.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON, GREATER BIRMINGHAM
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #17
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Premier Inn is being built in Castle Gate right now. Not very exciting.

Old February 27th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #18
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 267

Dudley is famous for a castle and a zoo. Not bad!!

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote