daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #1501
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 103

Nice one!

Has that southern part of the city centre where Southwater was planned just stalled a bit then? It looks as though they've started on site then just abandoned it. Happens a lot in other towns at the moment - the giant hole in the centre of Bradford springs to mind. Hope this doesn't stay like that for too long though.

241,000 people and growing. Britain's most heavily wooded urban area, 92% satisfaction rate and now centre of the South Midlands region. Oh and we're a city regardless of whether or not the Queen has noticed.
Join the Milton Keynes development thread here!
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 15th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1502
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 114

In the last week or so the turf on the hotel site has been removed and a portacabin has appeared and it looks like there are some diversion of service works at the car park site, I think construction is about to pick up.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:04 AM   #1503
Slow Burn
Consumed

Likes (Received): 1208

Hey Telfordians, what's happening on the development front? Has the Morrisons been built at Lawley yet? Any significant work started around Southwater?
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #1504
Tinpusher

Likes (Received): 64

Visited the folks this weekend, and took a wander into town via the town park.

Some of the walls of purple and yellow temporary fencing are being replaced by sturdy wooden fencing bars, allowed me to see that piles of construction material are starting to appear.

The library is being demolished, reduced to a steel frame on the ground floor, so you can see the counter and interior fittings like toilets etc.

The ice rink frontage is being massively extended, but you can't see much due to hoardings.
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1505
MK Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinpusher View Post
The library is being demolished, reduced to a steel frame on the ground floor, so you can see the counter and interior fittings like toilets etc.
I actually rather like that building, but it is too small to be a library for such a huge place. Could've reused it for something else though.

241,000 people and growing. Britain's most heavily wooded urban area, 92% satisfaction rate and now centre of the South Midlands region. Oh and we're a city regardless of whether or not the Queen has noticed.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:52 PM   #1506
XLAND

Likes (Received): 5

Cool night shot of the proposed Southwater square, although I did think there was supposed to be buildings next to the new gold Hub building, where the grass and trees are, which would help create the hight street.

Only early stages though I know.

Work has now supposed to have started on the new 8 level multi storey car park due for completion around end of 2013 and the new gold hub building above is due for completion in 2014 and I've seen it now referred to as Southwater One.

DBadger liked this post
XLAND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1507
Tinpusher

Paid my visit to folks again and I can confirm that work does indeed appear to have started.

There are a couple of multistory portakabin offices behind the fences, lots of disturbed earth, and the walk from the park into town has changed route to accommodate some more ground preparation.
Old December 13th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #1508
LBB123

Likes (Received): 0

Hey TelfordBoy... do you know if the plans for The Round are still going ahead or is it just the southwater projects happening in the Telford central area? I was looking forward to Hark&Apollo's plans as i saw what they looked like on the net and i got to say i would much prefer that than southwater if given the choice of them but i aint heard anything about The Round plans for a good 2-3years at least!
LBB123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1509
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Its just Southwater for now but the ideas behind The Round are still floating around. There is outline planning permission for a new cinema restauraunt complex and extension to the Debenhams and for a new supermarket on the site of the current Asda carpark, these would probably be the first phases. I think I read somewhere recently that the owners of the shopping centre were looking again at the area between Southwater, the council offices and the bus station so we might see some plans for there soon...
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #1510
LBB123

I have found some intresting stuff on this website about the Central Telford Area Action Plan. Seems they going to be building on the open space around Central Park and building a new bridge, after just reading through it and seeing the pics, it sounds and looks really good, all that and everything that happening in the town centre really is gona put Telford on the map

http://www.telford.gov.uk/site/scripts/download_info.aspx?fileID=1643&categoryID=1004[/IMG]
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1511
MK Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB123 View Post
I have found some intresting stuff on this website about the Central Telford Area Action Plan. Seems they going to be building on the open space around Central Park and building a new bridge, after just reading through it and seeing the pics, it sounds and looks really good, all that and everything that happening in the town centre really is gona put Telford on the map

http://www.telford.gov.uk/site/scripts/download_info.aspx?fileID=1643&categoryID=1004[/IMG]
Where are we looking? There's so much on that page I don't know where to start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB123 View Post
put Telford on the map
I suggest they put it somewhere between Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury :p

Old December 29th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #1512
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

There are some concept drawings on p2 and a few indicative plans towards the end of the document.

It is interesting and the principles have been largely included in CTAAP. But before you get too excited those documents only show the ideas the council might like to see. It doesn't mean the landowners would want to see the same and the plan was probably written before the financial crisis. So I wouldn't hold you're breath too much waiting for something to happen but its another development site to add to the list of those worth keeping an eye on...
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1513
MK Tom

Oh right, I was copying the [/IMG] bit too and the link was redirecting back to the 'all documents' page.

It's very interesting. It could be a bit more of a location and less of a business park; maybe higher buildings to compliment the Plaza at the other end of the bridge (which by the way is COOL) and more pedetrian space. But I'm glad they're doing something with the site that keeps and compliments Telford's large amount of woodland and its urban form.

Old December 30th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1514
LBB123

I did find some documents which showed the areas around Telford that is open for residential use, i know there a large amount of space for them to build in/around telford, would be good if/when it happens, all the housing they plannin on doing in places like newport, lightmoor and lawley etc but i didnt realise they might be looking to build between donnington muxton and lilleshall which will fill in the gap between donnington and lilleshall, then there stuff they might consider doing around north telford, just north of the MOD donnington and all across the north of leegomery and wappenshall areas, im sure i saw something about The Hem area aswell, between halesfield and shifnal aswel
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #1515
Tinpusher

If/when all this new development is built, I wonder if they will complete some of the roads to D2AP standard as originally planner? Or will the council/NIMBYs decide that we'd be better of cycling with big smiles on our faces, or riding the bus at a cost of 60 minutes per day less to spend at home with our families?
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1516
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

If you look at the transpot documents on that page you can see that they thought about the possibilty of trams and monorails, both of them would be way better than massive roads or expecting everyone to cycle or walk.
Old January 21st, 2013, 02:31 AM   #1517
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 392

Sorry, had to post this:

Telfordboy liked this post
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1518
samk706

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
Sorry, had to post this:
That is brilliant...
samk706 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1519
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

I walked past it on Friday and laughed at the irony of it.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:03 AM   #1520
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
Sorry, had to post this:

What?

Tags
city centre