daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 300m/1,000 ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Old December 16th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #961
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2037

As with any building in NYC, they must remove asbestos from the interior before they raze it. They''re probably preparing for that.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #962
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 2759

Maybe they just wanna wait 'til after the holidays
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #963
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 6877

Asbestos removal is a real time consuming job.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #964
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I would assume that it is. It must be dangerous too.
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #965
600West218

Likes (Received): 1345

That could well be it. But still, they have to get all the junk out of the supermarket area before they can do any abatement there and they haven't even done that yet.

I would assume this building will cost a LOT to build, significantly more than One57. At one point construction on One57 essentially stopped while financing got lined up.

Do we know if full financing is in place for this project? I hope so as I really want to see this go up soon.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #966
Kanto
Roof height crusader

That's a good question. I'd also like to know how much of the money gained from selling apartments in 157 Extell will pump into this building?
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #967
Hudson11
"John Boehner"

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Do we know if full financing is in place for this project? I hope so as I really want to see this go up soon.
I'm guessing Nordstrom chipped in a lot
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #968
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
That's a good question. I'd also like to know how much of the money gained from selling apartments in 157 Extell will pump into this building?
Good question. But remember the bulk of the profit may not go to Extel. Some people from the Middle East put up big bucks for the project (that is what got it restarted) so I would assume they make a lot of hte money.

Hopefully Robert Walpole will chime in - he is generally in the know about this stuff.
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #969
crawford

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
At one point construction on One57 essentially stopped while financing got lined up.

I don't think One57 construction ever stopped. At the least, I don't remember any delays during the construction process. It went up fast, which is true of all Extell projects. I assume 225 W57 will do the same.

And 225 W57 was already (at least partially) financed following the Nordstrom agreement. Nordstrom is paying for their portion of the project. I assume the Nordstrom section is being used as collateral for the rest, which is typical in such situations.

225 W57 will be completed before Nordstrom opens. Nordstrom's deadlines are key.

Last edited by crawford; December 16th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
crawford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #970
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I have no idea if Extell has a construction loan yet, but it will get one.
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #971
sbarn

Likes (Received): 491

I think we're being a little impatient. I would imagine excavation for this building will begin at some point in early- to mid- 2013.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #972
RobertWalpole
BANNED

That sounds correct.

PS: Can someone post the new HY video in that thread? I posted the link but can't post the awesome video.
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #973
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford View Post
I don't think One57 construction ever stopped. At the least, I don't remember any delays during the construction process. It went up fast, which is true of all Extell projects. I assume 225 W57 will do the same.

And 225 W57 was already (at least partially) financed following the Nordstrom agreement. Nordstrom is paying for their portion of the project. I assume the Nordstrom section is being used as collateral for the rest, which is typical in such situations.

225 W57 will be completed before Nordstrom opens. Nordstrom's deadlines are key.
Yes, it did stop. It was the spring/early summer of 2011 it ground to a halt for a while. I know because I was going to take pictures every weekend and it went two or three months without any new floors going up. Then it came out in the news that it got new financing from the Middle East and it started shooting up again.

Anyways, I know I'm being impatient but I'm super enthusiastic about this project and hope it goes up quickly.
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #974
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Me too. This is the project of my dreams
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #975
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
They'll first have to finish one57 before they can start thinking about that.
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #976
RobertWalpole
BANNED

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ESecondStories

NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIALDecember 16, 2012, 11:26 p.m. ET.Extell's Chief Thinking Tall For Midtown .
Article Stock Quotes Comments more in NewYork-Real Estate | Find New $LINKTEXTFIND$ ».
smaller Larger facebooktwittergoogle pluslinked ininShare.0EmailPrintSave ↓ More .
smaller Larger
By ELIOT BROWN
Gary Barnett, one of New York's leading developers, is planning a new Midtown skyscraper that could rise 300 feet higher than the Empire State Building, and he's has hired the architect who designed the world's tallest tower.

Mr. Barnett said in an interview that his Extell Development Co. has tapped Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture LLP to design an apartment tower atop the city's first Nordstrom Inc. JWN +0.10%department store.

Mr. Smith was the lead designer on the 2,717-foot Burj Khalifa in Dubai when he worked for Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP. He and partner Gordon Gill left Skidmore to start their own firm in 2006.

The firm "is very expert in this field, and we want to do a really high-quality, great building," Mr. Barnett said....
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #977
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ESecondStories

NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIALDecember 16, 2012, 11:26 p.m. ET.Extell's Chief Thinking Tall For Midtown .
Article Stock Quotes Comments more in NewYork-Real Estate | Find New $LINKTEXTFIND$ ».
smaller Larger facebooktwittergoogle pluslinked ininShare.0EmailPrintSave ↓ More .
smaller Larger
By ELIOT BROWN
Gary Barnett, one of New York's leading developers, is planning a new Midtown skyscraper that could rise 300 feet higher than the Empire State Building, and he's has hired the architect who designed the world's tallest tower.

Mr. Barnett said in an interview that his Extell Development Co. has tapped Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture LLP to design an apartment tower atop the city's first Nordstrom Inc. JWN +0.10%department store.

Mr. Smith was the lead designer on the 2,717-foot Burj Khalifa in Dubai when he worked for Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP. He and partner Gordon Gill left Skidmore to start their own firm in 2006.

The firm "is very expert in this field, and we want to do a really high-quality, great building," Mr. Barnett said....
Interesting... no wacky buildings then (HdeM). Still, this should be fun to watch. He has done beautiful towers that are contexutal (Burj, Jin Mao) and he has the Kingdom Tower design which is super modern. He was involved in some ugly SOM towers like the GM tower in Detroit and Canary Wharf. One thing we know, we are not getting any crazy organic or highly innovative out of the box tower which is fine with me. He likes stainless steel facades it appears. I wonder will he inject a NY flavor into the tower just like he did with Jin Mao for China or Burj for Dubai..

Last edited by aquablue; December 17th, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #978
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 2350

Of course we won't get an over the top design. That belongs not to NYC. The architect would know what he is doing.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #979
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

No lack of ambition anyway. This will be a great tower.
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #980
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Of course we won't get an over the top design. That belongs not to NYC. The architect would know what he is doing.

. I don't agree with your 'belong not to NYC'... over the top design is just what the doctor ordered IMO.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 w.57th st., 225 w.57th st., central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall