daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Mumbai

Mumbai Project news from the Mumbai Metropolitan Region - Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane
» skyscrapers and supertalls | highrises

Old December 18th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #3881
koresh

Likes (Received): 428

Santa Cruz flyover

koresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 18th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3882
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Likes (Received): 889

Isn't that the Airport flyover?
Old December 18th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #3883
ANIX_K

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrikanth05 View Post
Isn't that the Airport flyover?
Yes, airport flyover next to the Santacruz terminal
ANIX_K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #3884
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMBAI MMR View Post
World’s best planners to tackle Kalanagar traffic

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
The chronic traffic congestion at Kalanagar junction in Bandra (E) has been turned into a challenge for some of the greatest urban planners across the world.
BMW Guggenheim Lab, a mobile urban think-tank which aims to create concepts and designs for building spacious, comfortable cities (see box), has launched a competition to redesign the junction, which handles around 60,000 vehicles an hour during the peak time.
Entries to the competition — organised with the help of Mumbai Environmental Social Network (MESN) — close on January 19. The best entries will be forwarded to the city’s planning authorities, including the traffic police, which is one of the patrons of the competition.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Vivek Phansalkar said, “Some of the participants may have first-hand experience of the problems at this junction, and they could be the ones providing with solutions.” BMW Guggenheim Lab and MESN officials say that the redesign competition is being held “to restructure the junction’s traffic flow and explore ways to refit its infrastructure with new public spaces and pedestrian functions”.
Ashok Datar from MESN said, “Kalanagar junction is unique, as it handles traffic from five roads that merge there, besides traffic on and below the flyover. MMRDA had suggested designing of the junction and the competition will help us with ideas.”

Junction needs a multi level flyover. Or an elevated rotary. Or both.
Old December 18th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #3885
bhargavsura

Quote:
Junction needs a multi level flyover. Or an elevated rotary. Or both.
Give the entire road network development to the Germans, Americans, and the Japanese and allow them to come up with solutions instead of having MMRDA, MSRDC, or the BMC using their brains.
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #3886
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavsura View Post
Give the entire road network development to the Germans, Americans, and the Japanese and allow them to come up with solutions instead of having MMRDA, MSRDC, or the BMC using their brains.
Or to the guys in Chennai. :p

Yeah, I sometimes find it funny that Mumbai's flyovers are just straight ones and that the city has no proper interchange barring the one at Bandra.
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3887
bhargavsura

Quote:
Or to the guys in Chennai. :p

Yeah, I sometimes find it funny that Mumbai's flyovers are just straight ones and that the city has no proper interchange barring the one at Bandra.
The flyovers shouldn't have been constructed IMHO. A futuristic planning was needed when these ridiculous structures were planned. I do not know how in future these flyovers will be changed to a continuous span of seamless connectivity.
Old December 18th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #3888
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
The flyovers shouldn't have been constructed IMHO. A futuristic planning was needed when these ridiculous structures were planned. I do not know how in future these flyovers will be changed to a continuous span of seamless connectivity.
For the high amount of traffic on the WEH or EEH, you would need them to provide a non stop end to end drive along the highway, but for exits, it's very cumbersome.
Old December 18th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3889
bhargavsura

Some cleaning up would have been needed.
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #3890
tall_dreams
My Way The Highway

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMBAI MMR View Post
World’s best planners to tackle Kalanagar traffic

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
The chronic traffic congestion at Kalanagar junction in Bandra (E) has been turned into a challenge for some of the greatest urban planners across the world.
BMW Guggenheim Lab, a mobile urban think-tank which aims to create concepts and designs for building spacious, comfortable cities (see box), has launched a competition to redesign the junction, which handles around 60,000 vehicles an hour during the peak time.
Entries to the competition — organised with the help of Mumbai Environmental Social Network (MESN) — close on January 19. The best entries will be forwarded to the city’s planning authorities, including the traffic police, which is one of the patrons of the competition.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Vivek Phansalkar said, “Some of the participants may have first-hand experience of the problems at this junction, and they could be the ones providing with solutions.” BMW Guggenheim Lab and MESN officials say that the redesign competition is being held “to restructure the junction’s traffic flow and explore ways to refit its infrastructure with new public spaces and pedestrian functions”.
Ashok Datar from MESN said, “Kalanagar junction is unique, as it handles traffic from five roads that merge there, besides traffic on and below the flyover. MMRDA had suggested designing of the junction and the competition will help us with ideas.”

Why not just build somekind of interchange?
tall_dreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3891
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall_dreams View Post
Why not just build somekind of interchange?
The simplest thing I can suggest is an elevated rotary. Eliminate the signal and gap in the median below.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #3892
India Rulz
India Rulz

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
And then there will be USA VS Germany VS Japan war for the contract to plan a flyover in Mumbai.
India Rulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3893
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by India Rulz View Post
And then there will be USA VS Germany VS Japan war for the contract to plan a flyover in Mumbai.
And people will fight saying they don't want FDI.
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #3894
koresh

Airport Road

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3895
koresh

Western Express Highway [WEH] towards North West Mumbai

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #3896
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

What is that gigantic steel structure?
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #3897
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Considering the way the highway has evolved you sound right. But I feel flyovers would still be necessary on some spots on WEH/EEH if they were built with perspective of making it completely or partially controlled access highway with proper entry/exit ramps.

Generally the way Indian planners plan flyovers or adding width to highways, it is more of a bandage to relieve a untenable problem. Then more bandages when again the issues become unbearable and then a final overwhelming solution which is also expensive.
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #3898
bhargavsura

I don't know man, when I look at the flyovers and this process being adopted as a solution in all parts of the city, I just think its a ridiculous planning. Some parts, like railways and roadways, you would need a flyover - agreed. But if they were planning a seamless connectivity for a faster traffic, this planning has not been executed right and it's just seemed to have failed. In fact what's happening is there are not many areas that have visible lanes and with rickshaws thriving on these routes, they just drive haphazardly and traffic is crazy.

Things are a mess without lanes in many parts which is why you can see ridiculous traffic. Width of the road is not a problem. In fact, I believe some areas are wide enough to accomodate 5 lanes. So just imagine, what the scenario would have been if an elevated continous span of expressway was constructed with visible lanes and entry/exit points as you mentioned, people would have automatically driven in lanes. Just my opinion.
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #3899
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:

I don't know man, when I look at the flyovers and this process being adopted as a solution in all parts of the city, I just think its a ridiculous planning. Some parts, like railways and roadways, you would need a flyover - agreed. But if they were planning a seamless connectivity for a faster traffic, this planning has not been executed right and it's just seemed to have failed. In fact what's happening is there are not many areas that have visible lanes and with rickshaws thriving on these routes, they just drive haphazardly and traffic is crazy.

Things are a mess without lanes in many parts which is why you can see ridiculous traffic. Width of the road is not a problem. In fact, I believe some areas are wide enough to accomodate 5 lanes. So just imagine, what the scenario would have been if an elevated continous span of expressway was constructed with visible lanes and entry/exit points as you mentioned, people would have automatically driven in lanes. Just my opinion.
Agreed. Just Yesterday morning, I travelled from CSIA via Sahar Rd onto WEH towards Bandra. When the Andheri Jog flyover ends the slip lanes merge haphazardly and it is really telling of third rate planning that goes onto constructing our highways.
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #3900
bhargavsura

Yes. But anyways, that's a long past discussion. Unfortunately things are just bad the way they are.

Tags
mumbai