daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old September 24th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #621
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Work on trams to commence in October,delivery next autumn,and in use in 2014 .These new trams will be fitted with super capacitators so they can do stretches without wires (I saw this in action yesterday btw).Note also that the old fleet may be maintained and used for the Brierley Hill / Wednesbury line .This is the first time I've heard this as I thought they were going to be farmed out : http://www.lrta.org/mag/magi.html

Funny how the clapped out old trams are suddenly good enough for use on the Brierely Hill extension now that they have got the funding from the Dft for anew set

I'd always thought this might happen as it has the benefit of lowering the cost of the Brierely Hill extension proposal increasing the likelyhood of receving central government funding from the Dft. It's one way of playing the Dft's game.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 24th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #622
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 537

But haven't Westfield put money aside for the extension too?

ReissOmari está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #623
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari
But haven't Westfield put money aside for the extension too?
They have been quoted as committing 25% of the estimated costs which is the minimum local contribution that the Dft require for light rail schemes - yet to-date a convincing business case seems not yet to have been made to get the majority (public) funding. The Dft Major Scheme fund requires local authorities (or Public transport promoters) to jump through a lot of hoops and there is only so much money in the Dft's pot to fund these sorts of schemes.

I would guess that by reusing the old trams - through a relatively cheap mid life refurbishment - that this will reduce the overall cost of the scheme. Westfield's contribution is likely to stay the same (in £) and therefore rise as a % of the funding requirement meaning the Benefit:Cost ratio should improve significantly and make the scheme significantly more viable than if it was a standalone scheme needing new trams.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:08 PM   #624
Nacho

Likes (Received): 48

The Metro Plaza development (as posted by Red Ape in a West Bromwich thread) : http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/multimedi...57_728x332.jpg

The hotel going up right next to St Paul's station (as posted by Metrogogo) :http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...467944&page=47
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #625
Luke3000

Likes (Received): 5

I've been looking at the extension from New Street to Broad Street. Has the funding and approval been granted the same time as the Snow Hill to New Street. Some things I've seen on the Internet suggest it has but others suggest it will be done after
When is it planned for? My only worry with all these extensions is they seem to take years to actually get built so for the network to be big it will be decades down the line at this rate.
Luke3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #626
nigeman

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke3000 View Post
I've been looking at the extension from New Street to Broad Street. Has the funding and approval been granted the same time as the Snow Hill to New Street. Some things I've seen on the Internet suggest it has but others suggest it will be done after
When is it planned for? My only worry with all these extensions is they seem to take years to actually get built so for the network to be big it will be decades down the line at this rate.

The Council as committed £25 million as part of something like £60 million to kick start the new business rates initiative coming out of the new Economic Zones towards the next extension. I understood the money was in place as part of ensuring Paradise Circus starts as soon as the Library moves (correct me anybody if I've got it wrong). Whether that money will still be there with the council's need now to cut back drastically its spending I don't know.
Otherwise I would see the next stage beginnin g as soon as this stage is completed...well I hope this is the case
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #627
Nacho

Metro update from Centro's website:http://www.centro.org.uk/newsroom/Pr...ease48519.aspx
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:10 PM   #628
Nacho

Today's update concerning the Wolverhampton extension.Apparently it is a joint effort with Neptune Developments.The article mentions a figure of 15 million pounds;in earlier reports we have seen a sum of 30 million pounds.

http://www.centro.org.uk/newsroom/Pr...ease58747.aspx
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:56 PM   #629
Nacho

I see that the above is to run along Piper's Row and is not the loop as originally proposed.I imagine that is where costs have been reduced by half.New trams will not be needed for this small extensión.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:15 PM   #630
Nacho

Here are further details including a map : http://www.centro.org.uk/metro/Details.aspx
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #631
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 1047

I found this image of Bilston Central station, how it was supposed to look. (1990)

http://blackcountryhistory.org/colle.../GB149_P_1620/

How it turned out (night time):

image hosted on flickr

I'd have much preferred the masonry than the modern crap we have. The station roof, mimicking the bus station behind it, would have tied the two together too.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON, GREATER BIRMINGHAM

SimonTheSoundMan liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #632
Nacho

A video advert for the Metro : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRjik-5okY
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #633
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Here are further details including a map : http://www.centro.org.uk/metro/Details.aspx
This is a really very sensible plan.. I like it and really do think this should be fully supported.. good stuff!

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #634
Nacho

Wolverhampton extensión update: http://www.centro.org.uk/newsroom/Pr...ease60002.aspx
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #635
Brums'grove

Likes (Received): 22

It feels like the only way to extend the metro now is for little extensions. we are going to end up with one really long line with extensions planned at both ends of line 1 but I think most of us on here want additional lines cutting through line 1 which seems like something that will never happen. Light rail is supposed to be used for fairly short rail journeys like sprawling out from a city core not connecting city to city something that heavy rail is used for.

In my opinion the reason why our current system never achieved what it was supposed to is because the route choice was very poor and this meant we struggled to gain funding for future routes. We are the second largest city yet the likes of Sheffield and Nottingham have done a much better job with there's as there is plenty of park and ride facilities and they link up with places like shopping centres and destinations. If you take nottingham for example there is over 2500 free park and ride spaces compared to 550 on the midland metro. We have a lot to learn if we are gonna have a network that works plus our pricing structure is non comparable £5.50 for a return compared to £3.50 for an all day ticket in nottingham.
Brums'grove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #636
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 609

The old roller type destination blinds have been replaced with new digital dot matrix signs on most trams, this also seems to coincide with new dot matrix information signs inside the trams synchronized with audio passenger announcements. Head lights, side lights reversing and indicators have been updated for some time now. Conductors have been issued with type P50 ticketing machines.

Old type destination blind and head light clusters.
image hosted on flickr
Midland Metro Wolverhampton by metrogogo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
P1010853 by metrogogo, on Flickr

New type destination board.

image hosted on flickr
Midland Metro by metrogogo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
metrogogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #637
zero_wlv

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrogogo View Post
The old roller type destination blinds have been replaced with new digital dot matrix signs on most trams, this also seems to coincide with new dot matrix information signs inside the trams synchronized with audio passenger announcements.
That "hold on tight etc." announcement at every single stop drives me crazy. There's also a very strange pause before the name of the station is announced. And to top it all off the woman insists on trying to pronounce the "h" in Birmingham which always sounds very self-conscious cos no-one really tries to do that when they're speaking naturally!

But hey-ho, life goes on, I'm sure I'll get over it - it's just that I can't understand why they bothered to update the announcements if they end up sounding so amateurish! At least it's someone with a local accent this time, I'll admit that.
zero_wlv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #638
jrawle
Always the Same

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_wlv View Post
That "hold on tight etc." announcement at every single stop drives me crazy. There's also a very strange pause before the name of the station is announced. And to top it all off the woman insists on trying to pronounce the "h" in Birmingham which always sounds very self-conscious cos no-one really tries to do that when they're speaking naturally!

But hey-ho, life goes on, I'm sure I'll get over it - it's just that I can't understand why they bothered to update the announcements if they end up sounding so amateurish! At least it's someone with a local accent this time, I'll admit that.
I haven't heard the new announcements on the trams, but your comment makes me think of station announcements at New Street and across the country. New Street was the first place I know that had automated announcements many years ago (and it was the first time they'd been intelligible!) After some years, the same voice (Phil Sayer) was rolled out across the country. But in the last couple of years, they've been "upgrading" the system used at stations, but whereas the old system sounded like someone speaking naturally, the new one has lots of pauses, as if the computer is having to load the correct sample for the station name or something:

The next train from platform...... 1 is the...... 9:52... service to...... London Euston.

The pause is just long enough to sound unnatural and it makes the whole announcement quite jarring. Maybe that's the point: people listen and remember what's just been said if it has annoying pauses. Seems like a backwards step to me, though, when the old system sounded so natural. Especially for New Street where 95% of the announcements are of no interest to a particular passenger.
jrawle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #639
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 537

The trams looks much better with the LED dispalys!

ReissOmari está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #640
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 193

not being funny but if these trams will eventually get chucked why has their been such an extensive refurbishment on a few of them so far. I've seen a couple with this set up and the new livery on them. They almost look like new trams, certainly very well refurbished (from the outside at least).

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro