daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #281
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 290

The long-term plan is for a tower but (depressingly familiar story) not yet! I'm wondering if they are demolishing this above the 1st floor then putting in a steel-frame to create the few floors we'll end up with? Or are they refurbing the existing floors and punching new new windows through?

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 21st, 2012, 06:54 AM   #282
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

I managed to see this from above yesterday, although sadly I didn't have my camera with me at the time. Anyway, they're going absolutely hell for leather on the roof. About a third of it has been cut away and the grid layout of the concrete structure is plainly visible now.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:23 AM   #283
nigeman

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
The long-term plan is for a tower but (depressingly familiar story) not yet! I'm wondering if they are demolishing this above the 1st floor then putting in a steel-frame to create the few floors we'll end up with? Or are they refurbing the existing floors and punching new new windows through?

This project just confuses me..all this work and money to create a car park?? Where's the return?
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:56 AM   #284
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 98

The office building on top will be built in due course once there is sufficient demand (ie a pre-let). In the meantime the car park will be profitable and worthwhile. The main structure is in place this is just a refurb of the existing very strong basement to make it into an underground car park
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:15 AM   #285
sefton66

Likes (Received): 493

The underground car park will be used for the offices once built, the basement on this is huge so it makes sense for underground parking.
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #286
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 290

Went past today - this is being seriously demolished. A question I asked before - what will it look like after Phase 1? We know that many floors of underground parking are being created but what will it look like above ground level?? Also this needs to move to construction threads.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #287
sefton66

Likes (Received): 493

The basement car park and two floors of the main building make up phase 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
correct, this seems to be latest image

http://www.associated-architects.co....post-and-mail/
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #288
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 537

Still don't understand how they can build half of the building and 'carry on' in phase 2..

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #289
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

Wow, think the render looks great. Really like the style of buildings in the business quarter. All very clean lines, lots of glass.
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #290
build_higher

Likes (Received): 29

Whilst this looks nice I'm majorly apprehensive that like so many projects in Birmingham this will run out of money once phase 1 is done & it will just stay like that for years & maybe longer and this area of the city deserves and needs better than that.
build_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #291
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by build_higher View Post
Whilst this looks nice I'm majorly apprehensive that like so many projects in Birmingham this will run out of money once phase 1 is done & it will just stay like that for years & maybe longer and this area of the city deserves and needs better than that.
What he said

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #292
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 38

A couple of snaps of the demolition I grabbed on a visit next door

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #293
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by build_higher View Post
The entire point of developing this in phases is so that an income stream can be established with the underground car park, and due to the foresight to ensure a building can be built above, the second phase is immediately viable if and when a tenant is found or the market picks up enough to build speculatively.

A proper office building is much more likely on this site with phase one complete than if the printworks is simply left in place.

Flickr

Pinterest
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #294
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

It would be interesting to see if BDC revise the layout of this car park to allow possible enhancements to the 2nd pahse should the police decide to re-locate.
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #295
Spread
Brummie & Proud

As I understood it the future phase is still pretty flaxible as they are allowing for column locations and loadings which I assume are dictated by the strengh of the current underground structure.
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #296
Ecological
BANNED

I much prefer the word "flaxable" then "flexable"

That's good to know.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #297
bikmax

Likes (Received): 0

flexible is even better
bikmax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #298
Ecological
BANNED

I would blame being in a rush for that mistake but I just clearly had a brain freeze to go with my soft head.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #299
Spread
Brummie & Proud

I blame spellcheck as my posts are checked on my phone and at home but not for some reason on my work computer. I depend on it too much, being able to spell would also help
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #300
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 191

Phase two can go ahead after phase one is completed. The carpark would be emptied for the duration to become a designated building site again. As metioned above, the site will be futureproofed to allow phase 2 (whatever it might look like) to be built on top. I'm actually impressed by this as someone has really thought about how to make a continuous money stream out of it. In all honesty, I don't think anyone should worry about it... Especially when the Car Park is completed. Perhaps this is the plan lots of other builds should work to, including Regal... If they were to create a large underground car park now, it would act as a solid and financial foundation for which to build their tower (we live in a trickle of hope ) but you get my point.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: