daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Christchurch

Old November 17th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #21
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 4182

Plans for a $70 million-plus precinct on a one-hectare site in Christchurch's City Mall will go up for consideration this afternoon. The development plan is the first for the city's prime retail zone to go before the Joint Management Board, a panel of experts from the Christchurch City Council, the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) and Ngai Tahu. Under emergency fast-track laws, the board is expected to have a yes or no answer for developer Lichfield Holdings within days. The proposal is for a retail and office complex overlooking a green square on the demolished Shades Arcade and Whitcoulls sites, plus adjoining properties in Cashel and Hereford streets. It also includes buildings owned by smaller landlords in Colombo St. After the Christchurch Central Development Unit put out its July blueprint requiring landowners to work together to avoid piecemeal development, Lichfield Holdings director Nick Hunt was approached by neighbours, including McDonald's with smaller sites in Colombo St. They have submitted a plan big enough to meet the 7500-square-metre size requirement. Several other groups have prepared development proposals for the blueprint's prime retail zone, which is bordered by Hereford, High and Lichfield streets and Oxford Tce. The biggest has come from the landowning Ballantyne, Carter and Guthrey families, while members of the Gough family are designing a $40m restaurant, bar and retail precinct. Another site is the subject of competing multimillion-dollar proposals from three groups for the same land.

I AM NOT AFRAID OF GLAMOUR, I LOVE IT

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #22
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Owners await plans as mall proposal ticked

Merchant bank Ocean Partners and project managers Apollo Group have received resource consent for their planned $200 million precinct around a public square, hot on the heels of last week's approval for a $350m design from Australian duo Westpac bank and developers Goodman Group. Both groups still need to buy or gain rights to the land, which is bordered by Cashel and Lichfield Sts and Oxford Tce and in the hands of over a dozen owners. Small-holder Paddy Cotter was uncertain of the fate of his two boutiques in the mall. He did not have a preference for either plan, and would rather sell than invest in a big project. "It's a case of wait and see, whether my building will stay or go I literally do not know. We'll need to see whether they make it attractive enough for people to want to sell." Both groups' plans include office buildings with shops and hospitality outlets at street level. Leighs Construction and architects Buchan Group, the companies behind Re:Start mall, are waiting to submit a third proposal marrying individual owners' rebuilds. Another proposal from the Ballantynes, Carter and Guthrey families overlaps the Westpac-Goodman plan. The Christchurch Central Development Unit (CCDU) requires proposals of at least 7500sq m for the city's core retail area to avoid piecemeal development, but is reluctant to step in and acquire land if owners cannot agree. Rob Logie, who is part of the Leighs-Buchan proposal and wants to keep the mall site his family has owned for 120 years, said all the owners could now just wait ... MORE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old December 7th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #23
metroman
metroman

Likes (Received): 8

Does this mean there are likely to be 3 new developments in Cashel Mall?
metroman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #24
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroman View Post
Does this mean there are likely to be 3 new developments in Cashel Mall?
Yeah, that's how I understand it.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #25
metroman
metroman

I have heard they are now tipping the rebuild cost to be around $40 billion, could that be a positive in that some of that maybe additional investment. Is the $40 million hospitality/entertainment hub in this area and a separate development?
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #26
metroman
metroman

"Go ahead for retail precinct"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...etail-precinct
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #27
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Re:Start tenants get longer leases

Christchurch's Re:Start mall has been given a new lease of life. The leases for the City Mall retailers have been extended until early next year as landowners realise the preparation of development plans for their sites is going to take longer than expected. Central City Business Association manager Paul Lonsdale said tenants on the northern section of the precinct had already been given an extension, and those on the south side were due to sign lease agreements. Most leases were due to expire next month, Lonsdale said. "Essentially we will see Re:Start in this form for another year which is great." Maureen Taane, co-owner of gift and homeware store Hapa, said they had received verbal assurances the lease would be extended but were "anxious to get it in writing". "We're delighted with the extension ... we love being part of Re:Start," she said. Scorpio Books manager David Ault said he was "very happy" with the extension. "There are four different zones and they're owned by different people so everyone will have different plans and timelines," he said. "Nobody has put a firm plan on what will happen with the containers ... I suspect they will move but I just don't know." ... MORE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #28
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 147

From a quick walk by last night- didnt have the time to go in. The area has a real chilled vibe. There western end is completely bare, no more Strip, no more anything, just little tin shacks for banks!

Maybe it was just me but the place has a feeling of acceptance- whats done is done-focus now on what this street will become. Or maybe I've just come to that conclusion because I didn't see anyone crying openly on the street last night.

Old March 25th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #29
TomKiwi

Likes (Received): 3

Not sure if this wants its own thread or not. Looks pretty decent to me. Be good to see some more renders though, particularly from Hereford/Colombo intersection.

Sculptural look for site

Construction could begin as soon as June on a $100 million glass- wrapped complex replacing the Triangle Centre in Christchurch's City Mall.

Owners OLT Properties have drawn up plans for three office and retail buildings four and five storeys high.

Built on base isolators for quake-resistance, the buildings will be joined by a glass atrium with escalators at street level and underground parking.

The plan goes before the Christchurch City Council for resource consent on Tuesday. Under the earthquake recovery laws, the panel considering the plan can give it the immediate go- ahead.

The mostly cleared Triangle Centre site is bordered by Cashel, High and Colombo streets. Last year young Christchurch designer James Carr designed a neo-Gothic precinct for the property as a competition entry, a design OLT Properties liked but did not adopt.

OLT head Michael Ogilvie-Lee said he had agreements with three major office tenants, and would start work on his new precinct as soon as possible. He hopes to have it finished by autumn 2015.

"If we can get some assistance from Cera [the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority] and the council to push things through a bit quicker, we hope to start on the foundations in June or July.

"This is definitely going ahead. I can see around me there are two or three things starting to happen - we're are going to get some activity soon."

The complex has been designed by architects Warren and Mahoney to look like a sculpture: "I am trying to do something that hasn't been done in the South Island before."

Ogilvie-Lee said he could not identify his potential tenants because of confidentiality agreements, but they are understood to be one of the major banks, a law firm, and an accountancy firm.

Unlike other parts of the City Mall where developers are battling for control of land in the hands of small holders, OLT Properties already owns the Triangle Centre site.

It is in the process of buying the only piece of the block it did not have, the Hallensteins- Unlimited School building owned by Hallenstein Glasson chairman Warren Bell and major shareholder Tim Glasson.

OLT Properties also owns the former East foodcourt site on High St directly opposite, where the Avonmore Tertiary Institution opens in refurbished premises next week.

Under Cera's blueprint plan for the central city, rebuilding in the retail core bordered by Lichfield, Hereford, and High streets and Oxford Tce must be in the form of an approved Outline Development Plan.

Each must cover 7500sqm, although an exemption has been made for the smaller Triangle Centre block

Each plan is considered for resource consent by a panel of one representative each from the city council, Cera, and Ngai Tahu.
TomKiwi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #30
Marky Mark
Nana's Favourite !

Likes (Received): 9

Looking Good !

Hopefully they get consent quickly and Start Building .....
Marky Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #31
TonyNZ

This looks great! cant understand the 100mil price tag though. anyone got a pic of the building that once stood there before?
TonyNZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #32
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Hallensteins building stood on that site. Was one of my favourite newer builds in the cbd.

Last edited by Milan Luka; March 25th, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Milan Luka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #33
TonyNZ

me too damn!
TonyNZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #34
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 509

Went to school in there for two years, I will really miss it.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #35
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Old April 11th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #36
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Christchurch project management firm Apollo Projects wants the Government to set a deadline on property owner decisions for development of the retail precinct in City Mall. Apollo has joined with Christchurch merchant bank Ocean Partners in the proposed $200 million One Cashel Square retail, hospitality and office complex in the CBD. That partnership is vying with others to lead the development of the block bordered by City Mall, Lichfield St and the Avon River and needs the more than a dozen landowners in the block to decide which development they support. Apollo Projects Christchurch business development manager Bevan Hames said the Government needed to put a decision timeframe in place. "At the end of the day, the options have been presented . . . a timeframe on when they need to make a decision probably needs to be enforced by Government, I would have thought," Hames said. "It's really up in the air, to be honest, because it's dependent on what the underlying landowners decide to do, and there's no time mandate on them to make those decisions," he said. The firm is involved with several Christchurch projects. Apollo Projects is managing the build of Orion's $15m offices in Wairakei Rd, Harrington's Brewery in Wigram and the high performance sports centre in Greers Rd, which will become part of the Jellie Park complex ... MORE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #37
jarden

Likes (Received): 66

Government may act on City Mall impasse

The Government has stepped into the battle to build on a prime Christchurch shopping block and is threatening to use its emergency earthquake powers to break the development deadlock.

Developers have been competing since October to gain control of the City Mall block and build their vision for the retail precinct - part of Christchurch's central-city recovery blueprint.

But no winning bid has emerged and with a sixth plan for the area now in play, developers are despairing at the impasse.

The land has more than a dozen owners, and negotiation between them and the developers is the key stumbling block.

The Christchurch Central Development Unit (CCDU) is now taking a hands-on approach to proceedings and says it will "become more involved" if developers cannot end the stalemate themselves.

One of its powers is compulsory acquisition of land.

CCDU director Warwick Isaacs said the unit was in "commercially sensitive discussions" and had reminded developers and landowners of its expectations.

The Crown would "become more involved to move the precinct forward" as a last resort, he said, although no deadline had been set.

"The CCDU has a range of tools available to it to ensure the desired progress is made," he said.

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee said the Government wanted resolution as soon as possible.

"We've obviously got a great interest in making sure a good plan comes together and that it is complementary to the intention of that area in the CBD," he said.

The six developers all have resource consent for their overlapping multimillion-dollar projects, between the Bridge of Remembrance and the Ballantynes department store.

They and the landowners have been expressing their frustrations at the deadlock for several months. One suggested the Government "knock some heads together" to get progress.

A spokesman for Leighs Construction, which has one of the six consented plans, said the company was "working towards finding a positive solution" to the difficulties on the block.

Developer Goodman Group has already thrown in the towel.

Tim Howe, of Ocean Partners, which is behind the Commerce Square plan, doubted one dominant owner could take control.

"The chances of Leighs or ourselves doing a plan alone are probably remote now. People need to

work in together for the sake of the city,'' he said.

"We don't want anything heavy handed, but the CCDU wants to make sure capital committed will stay there."

Owners on the block held a meeting on Tuesday night to share concerns and information. It is understood neighbouring developers and Christchurch City Council staff spoke, but no-one from the CCDU attended.

Ad Feedback A retail strategist has been brought over from Melbourne to write a report on the precinct.

The latest design to secure resource consent for the block is the biggest yet, with 19 buildings over 1.5 hectares stretching from the Avon River to Ballantynes.

Named West End, it was designed by architects Warren and Mahoney for leasing agent and mall tenant Chase Commercial.

The plan has rooftop gardens, outdoor terraces, laneways and 900 car parks. It covers 20 addresses in the hands of 15 owners, including sites bought by other contenders.

Unlike some other plans, West End would see individual owners keep and develop their land within design rules.

Chase director Brendan Chase said the multiple ownership must be turned from an impediment to a strength.

"None of the developers has a clear way forward and they've struck difficulties. These landowners have got white knuckles hanging on to their land and don't want to go," he said.

Landowner Peter Guthrey is now part of two approved plans and but said he could do nothing yet.

"We need to know what is happening with our neighbours, and how the CCDU will sort out all these competing plans,'' he said.

''Everyone needs to understand what the end result is going to be. We can't do anything without some certainty."

AT A GLANCE

Development proposals for the central Christchurch's retail core, bordered by Lichfield, Hereford and High streets and Oxford Tce, must be master-planned and cover at least 7500 square metres.

Companies including Lichfield Holdings (Gough brothers), Hereford Holdings (Nick Hunt) and OLT Properties (Michael Ogilvy-Lee) can progress unchallenged with projects on their own land north of Cashel St.

However, there are six competing plans for the land opposite. They are:

- Ocean Partners-Apollo Projects: Commerce Square, a $200 million office and retail precinct and public square from the Avon River to Plymouth Ln.

- BCG Alliance (Ballantynes, Carter Group and Guthrey Holdings): $200m of shops and offices on their own land from High St to the Guthrey Centre.

- Goodman Property: Te Poutahi, $350m complex of offices, shops and hospitality. Now shelved.

- Leighs Construction: Precinct of five office and retail buildings, plus laneways, from the river to Plymouth Ln.

- Peter Guthrey, Dennis Sunderland and Paddy Cotter: Low-rise shops and offices on their own sites west of Ballantynes.

- Chase Commercial (Brendan Chase): West End, complex of 19 building over 1.5 ha from the river to Ballantynes.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...y-Mall-impasse

I hope this gets sorted for the city needs this project to proceed.
jarden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #38
metroman
metroman

"Grand design for City Mall"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...-for-City-Mall
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #39
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Doesn't look so grand to me - just a bunch of square boxes

+ INSTAGRAM
Old June 26th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #40
metroman
metroman

Whether or not the final design looks like that time will tell, however it is projects of this scale which will bring life to the cbd. The size is around the same as a major suburban shopping centre. It is something along these lines which will spark new life into the cbd, sure the design may need to be tingered with.