daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:47 AM   #20981
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
I think Brighton is an example of how it isn't diversity per se that makes a city feel cosmopolitan, but tolerance. For example Oldham has a huge ethnic minority population, but as a town it doesn't benefit from that cultural mixing, because the distrust between those communities prevents interaction. The same could probably be said for Blackburn, Bradford etc. Brighton may have very little ethnic diversity, but it has a tolerance that has allowed a vibrant gay community to emerge and enrich the culture of the whole city. Similarly London and Manchester have a more accepting attitude than those smaller towns do, letting their people benefit from a richer cultural mix from various social groups.

Liverpool historically welcomed global migrants, although I suspect its economic problems in the latter part of the 20th century meant there was little to attract people.
Exactly! This man knows what he talks about.

People should be uniting as Northern cities, and southern boroughs being fucked over by this government. Parochial pride has its place but does it really supersede how people live?
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:54 AM   #20982
albionfagan

Let's be honest, if I was a young man in Leeds it would be class, great night life and loads of... Northern cities unite!
Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:54 AM   #20983
albionfagan

We just need to wipe out Tories like Aaron because they are the worst people
Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:59 AM   #20984
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Not saying Liverpool isnt a great city, but all the great cities of the world should have ethnicity. Thats one of the things that should make cities different from living in the average town or countryside. They should be vibrant with lots of ethnicity. Look at the great cities of London, Paris, New York and Sydney.
I suggest you look into the history of Liverpool! Being an old port city there will have been people from all over the world in that city centuries ago, before any ever stepped foot in the likes of Birmingham, and of which I'm sure there are still descendants living there.

Just because Liverpool didn't attract so many various ethnicities in more recent decades due to its local trade doesn't make it any less of a city with its own unique history.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:16 AM   #20985
Streetlife1

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
I suggest you look into the history of Liverpool! Being an old port city there will have been people from all over the world in that city centuries ago, before any ever stepped foot in the likes of Birmingham, and of which I'm sure there are still descendants living there.

Just because Liverpool didn't attract so many various ethnicities in more recent decades due to its local trade doesn't make it any less of a city with its own unique history.
And the the first ever mosque was in Toxteth Liverpool the birthplace of Islam in Britain.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:21 AM   #20986
albionfagan

But ultimately...so what? This isn't 'how many muslims do you have' competitions, this fucking liberal attitude towards normal people is detestable. What matters is that people are sound and don't post loads of boring photos, that's what matters.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:25 AM   #20987
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Kinda matters to me to be honest, I'm not bothered about any particular community but personally I'd rather live in a place which feels more of a world crossroad, I feel like it makes a place more exciting and interesting, and I feel part of something wider. So I'm not afraid to say I score a city in terms of it's ethnic diversity.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:31 AM   #20988
albionfagan

You've always seemed like a bit of a gimp, so I'm not surprised. Walking down the road 'black person'...aren't I multicultural.

The important thing is your class people, don't ever forget.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:35 AM   #20989
kids

Likes (Received): 172

I think what I said is pretty reasonable. If we're valuing cities in terms of their architecture then I don't see how it's unreasonable to say I like being exposed to different cultures in my day to day experience of my city.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:35 AM   #20990
Streetlife1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionfagan View Post
But ultimately...so what? This isn't 'how many muslims do you have' competitions, this fucking liberal attitude towards normal people is detestable. What matters is that people are sound and don't post loads of boring photos, that's what matters.
I agree Liverpool is fine the way it is people trying to be black are pathetic and should get a grip.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:42 AM   #20991
albionfagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetlife1 View Post
I agree Liverpool is fine the way it is people trying to be black are pathetic and should get a grip.
Erm, no that's what I said and I don't want to be associated with your comments.

What I said is people aren't trophies and there's nothing inherent in someones' skin colour. What is important is that a city has lots of cultures contributing to the life of it. I would agree that Manchester has more of a cosmopolitan, worldy atmosphere.

That doesn't mean..that's it forever, I think Liverpool has an increasingly vibrant, cosmopolitan feel to it.

I want every city in England to be boss (yer, I have Liverpool mates befoe OpenlyJane or Yoshed start having a go at me) and a great place to go.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:45 AM   #20992
Streetlife1

Quote:

What I said is people aren't trophies and there's nothing inherent in someones' skin colour.
Did i say they was? i said Liverpool had the first ever mosque in Britain you made the rest up.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:50 AM   #20993
albionfagan

Why did you mention shit about people 'pretending to be black'...I never mentioned anything to do with that and if you wanna spout your crap please make sure not to quote me in the future.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:52 AM   #20994
Streetlife1

Quote:
Why did you mention shit about people 'pretending to be black'...I never mentioned anything to do with that and if you wanna spout your crap please make sure not to quote me in the future.

Erm because you said this "Walking down the road 'black person'...aren't I multicultural."
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:54 AM   #20995
albionfagan

You obviously didn't get my point, never mind.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:00 AM   #20996
Streetlife1

Quote:
You obviously didn't get my point, never mind.
The way you worded it was like a riddle.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:54 AM   #20997
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 9839

Quote:
TBH, that sounds quite fascistic - not the 'let's all get- along- together, unite and all contribute to the culture' stuff you spieled about earlier.

Your attitude is, itself, quite detestable & divisive.

I think it's the big "take a look in the mirror time" for you - if you really want to provide a "sound' analysis of our cultural problems, La!
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:56 AM   #20998
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
You've always seemed like a bit of a gimp, so I'm not surprised. Walking down the road 'black person'...aren't I multicultural.

The important thing is your class people, don't ever forget.
Yes, and remember not everybody has any class....
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM   #20999
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Erm, no that's what I said and I don't want to be associated with your comments.

What I said is people aren't trophies and there's nothing inherent in someones' skin colour. What is important is that a city has lots of cultures contributing to the life of it. I would agree that Manchester has more of a cosmopolitan, worldy atmosphere.

That doesn't mean..that's it forever, I think Liverpool has an increasingly vibrant, cosmopolitan feel to it.

I want every city in England to be boss (yer, I have Liverpool mates befoe OpenlyJane or Yoshed start having a go at me) and a great place to go.
You "started" it.

Why don't you post some boring pictures of Manchester, or Oldham, or wherever it is, to balance out the boring talk. Then throw in some civility, tolerance and manners - and 'bingo' - we have a multi-cultural and inclusive forum? Class!
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM   #21000
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids View Post
I think what I said is pretty reasonable. If we're valuing cities in terms of their architecture then I don't see how it's unreasonable to say I like being exposed to different cultures in my day to day experience of my city.

Yeah me too, i agree with you and thats how i feel. I know this sounds really stupid but i would feel uncomfortable taking some of my asian friends on a night out in Liverpool, and thats becouse ive been out in Liverpool many times and it does feel mainly white british and not many other groups around. Thats just my opinion though and its not a "dig" at liverpool.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote