daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

DN Archives Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #39781
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
No need to be sarcastic to him, not everyone here knows some of these details.
Yea i was thinking the same no need to be a smartass just because everyone doesn't know what you do..but i decided no point in arguing over that

Highcliff liked this post
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #39782
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 2805

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrimsonChin View Post
I think the Twins dominated because of the era in which they were built. They symbolized a time when America had the biggest and the best of everything. When you looked at them you weren't just looking at twin skyscrapers, you thought of American pride, dominance, wealth and greatness.

The new complex is still symbolic, just with a very different meaning - hope, rebuilding, perseverance, remembrance, etc.
In my opinion the fact why the Twins were so much more impressive was that they were built as the tallest buildings in the world. The new complex doesn't even try to get close to the title. In fact, it doesn't even have the title of the tallest in the country. The new complex is in my opinion absolutely devoid of any kind of visionary or iconic value. It is just a complex of tall and very good looking office buildings arranged by a rather bad site plan.

Also, both 1WTCs aside, three shorter buildings are far less dominating than one taller building.

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM   #39783
1Filipe1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
In my opinion the fact why the Twins were so much more impressive was that they were built as the tallest buildings in the world. The new complex doesn't even try to get close to the title. In fact, it doesn't even have the title of the tallest in the country. The new complex is in my opinion absolutely devoid of any kind of visionary or iconic value. It is just a complex of tall and very good looking office buildings arranged by a rather bad site plan.

Also, both 1WTCs aside, three shorter buildings are far less dominating than one taller building.
well when they designed it the tallest in the world was 508m if im not mistaken, the burj wasn't built yet, so technically they did want to have the worlds tallest, i highley doubt they would have thought that today something 1368 feet isnt impressive, and something 1776 feet isnt all that impressive in other countries either.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #39784
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 2805

Another bad thing is that it took them so long to finally get the rebuilding started. If I would have been in a position that matters (like the president or head of the PANYNJ) the whole complex would be finished by the fifth aniversary of 9/11. This complex is about the American pride so all the delays are outrageous in my opinion.

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM   #39785
Fruys

Likes (Received): 0

Excluding the spire/antenna, the new 1WTC is basically the same height as the old 1WTC. Tower 2 will be almost the same height, but appears much lower due to the slanted roof. So clearly they are not going for extreme height. When finished it will be a fine complex, but sadly nothing truly extraordinary on a global scale.
Fruys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #39786
Dale

Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruys View Post
Excluding the spire/antenna, the new 1WTC is basically the same height as the old 1WTC. Tower 2 will be almost the same height, but appears much lower due to the slanted roof. So clearly they are not going for extreme height. When finished it will be a fine complex, but sadly nothing truly extraordinary on a global scale.
Architect Magazine agrees, calls the new WTC a 'Descent Into Meh.'
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:35 PM   #39787
L.A.F.2.
Did someone say swag?

Likes (Received): 4230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Another bad thing is that it took them so long to finally get the rebuilding started. If I would have been in a position that matters (like the president or head of the PANYNJ) the whole complex would be finished by the fifth aniversary of 9/11. This complex is about the American pride so all the delays are outrageous in my opinion.
I agree that it is embarassing how long this is taking. However, there is no way that this complex could be finished by September of 2006. After all the delays of cleanup and preparation, it was destined totake a long time. I think 8 years could have been done if funding and tenant commitments weren't factors, but that's still a whole lot of work to do.

I do wish that these towers would have been arranged better though. I realise that the West was blocked off byt the WFC, but a more balanced arangement of towers would have been better. However, this new complex will look stunning, so I can deal with it.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:16 PM   #39788
Skyscrapers144
RISING HIGH

Likes (Received): 813

Made by Skyscrapers144

Don't forget to follow me on...
Twitter
Instagram
Tumblr

Skyscrapers144 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM   #39789
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 214

I think that's been posted before but it's great to see it again!
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:37 PM   #39790
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 124

10 more pages to 2001 page
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM   #39791
Otie
Next level

Likes (Received): 1691

Garbage everywhere.

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:23 PM   #39792
chris123678

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Garbage everywhere.
Otie, honestly I appreciate your contributions to this forum, but your sarcastic answers and know it all attitude are starting to annoy me and others to, not everyone knows every single detail about this project, their is no need in answering the questions if your going to get an attitude about it.

http://patrioticvoices.com/index.php
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:32 PM   #39793
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Otie, honestly I appreciate your contributions to this forum, but your sarcastic answers and know it all attitude are starting to annoy me and others to, not everyone knows every single detail about this project, their is no need in answering the questions if your going to get an attitude about it.
Agreed, I see your point Otie, trust me but no one here has blue prints and all we can do is post pictures we take. We'd also love to see your diagrams again, I've been eagerly awaiting to see one
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:32 PM   #39794
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WDcURGSoM0

Some shots of 1 World Trade Center are seen here on this video.
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM   #39795
1Filipe1
BANNED

Quote:

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:34 PM   #39796
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBOY1975 View Post

Great videos as always, thanks for posting!
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM   #39797
Otie
Next level

Likes (Received): 1691

Quote:
No need to be sarcastic to him, not everyone here knows some of these details.
It's not a detail at all, but a general overview of the master plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
Yea i was thinking the same no need to be a smartass just because everyone doesn't know what you do..but i decided no point in arguing over that
Arguing is always good, as long as is on topic and implemented in the correct maner, so I encourage you to initiate the debate. Being a smartass just stumps the learning process, so does the ego.

Quote:
I appreciate your critique, they're always useful. However I disagree on your stamenent about the attiude, it's just that the conversation is really vague and loose. Please people, before posting a statement, check it is not obvious and do some research first. It will make the forum more enjoyable.

Quote:
Agreed, I see your point Otie, trust me but no one here has blue prints and all we can do is post pictures we take. We'd also love to see your diagrams again, I've been eagerly awaiting to see one
Currently co-working with PMad on the hub model, expect some renderings by the end of the year. Diagrams were lost on summer.

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:40 PM   #39798
Informative

Likes (Received): 47

The Twin Towers were extremely impressive because as obvious there were two of them both an enormous height for their time and both basically square, which now days most buildings are not built the same. For instance the 'Petronas' Towers go up, up, up like rings then into a spire. That's one reason why I believe they were so imposing is that for a long time, even till today perhaps no other skyscraper had achieved the design of The World Trade Center with it's huge square twins standing so tall.

Another factor is that they were so isolated as there wasn't many other tall buildings near them at the time which made them look a lot more impressive too. The design of the lines going up I believe gave an even larger impression also. Indeed The World Trade Center was an incredible sight, and I didn't even manage to see it in real life unfortunately.

That being said having the 'original' World Trade Center back in my opinion would not fit in to the skyline as it did so long ago. I love seeing the original World Trade Center however I then see that they would be outdated if returned. They have a concrete grey look which suits the more 'futuristic' bold setting of the 80's - 90's. And even though it added to the building colour consistency was noticeable on the buildings themselves which sometimes looked a tad unappealing.

Nevertheless they were amazing buildings but we should remember them as incredible skyscrapers and move on. The new site isn't trying in my opinion to be on top of the world, I believe it is representing something far greater then that, it shows that people can rise from tragic events.

The new site I'm sure will be just as imposing but maybe wait until AFTER all the buildings have been completed? Hahaha, come on everyone ONE WTC isn't even finished? I say wait until it's all finished in all of it's glory, perhaps perceptions will change. But it's also not about comparing, it's about what suits today and what is suitable for a well sustained and modern site plan. Sorry for the ramble ...
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:43 PM   #39799
Informative

Likes (Received): 47

Also on another note let's all calm down. No fighting needed. Don't be mean to Otie you don't know what context he was putting in it, and after all the side tracking of this forum who could blame him? He has given us some of the best updates, information and renderings this site has to offer. Besides it's the season to be jolly, so whether you don't believe or celebrate Christmas let's all have some respect on this forum. Besides I'm most likely younger than everyone here.
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:54 PM   #39800
Zaanstad_1987
Walking Dutchman

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBOY1975 View Post

Thanks! This video-ride gives me a great impression of the NYC area sitting here in Holland behind my PC.
Zaanstad_1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center