daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 76 votes, 4.89 average.
Old December 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1841
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 256

Minutes of September meeting of Canada Water Campaign are online (Word doc). There's a lot there - only very edited highlights (the bits of interest to me, anyway) below.

On the outline proposal for a new campus for KCL on the Harmsworth and Mulberry sites:
Quote:
The 29,000m2 plan is to include residential accommodation for 2,000 students, high quality public spaces, multi-purpose teaching facilities, a 500 seat lecture theatre, library, sporting facilities with 25m pool, student union and learning support space.

The college will provide some staff accommodation and is in discussion with partners regarding the possibility of key worker housing.

Building heights are flexible but would be reasonable in scale, 15-30 stories.

[...] uncertain at this stage if all of the available area will be needed, so there may be some scope to develop social housing here.

[..] there were no proposals by King’s College to utilise the undeveloped space in Roberts Close.

King’s College envisage that approximately 700 permanent jobs will be created on the new campus, with an additional 1,500 jobs during construction.

It is estimated that the local economy would benefit from an additional £10m per annum in spending, particularly during the dormant daytime period, with easy access routes to surrounding areas incorporated into the development. [...]

Timeline: If LBS supports the application, Phase 1 should be complete during 2014
On the Decathlon and What sites (C and E):
Quote:
[..] The development was focused on creating a new town centre, which would create a neighbourhood hub for the local community with a large public area, cafes, external seating and by re-edging the waterfront it would allow this to be incorporated into the overall design.

Decathlon had agreed to the concept of consolidating its two current sites into one building with 240 underground customer parking spaces, on top of which would be a 39 story residential accommodation tower.

The residential accommodation would be a car free scheme, with plans to extend the pedestrian and cycle networks to make the area easily accessible, linking it to Southwark Park and Russia Dock Woodlands.

In answer to questions about the need for such a high block, CH replied that by creating one large tower at the core of the development, it would free up more open spaces at ground level.

Following earlier consultations Sellers had now drawn up a 3rd draft plan, final consultation was expected to be completed next month, following which a detailed application would be made to LBS.

[..] an outline application for Site E would be submitted to LBS and would be available to view on the website.

[..] there has been some movement from their original vision/plans that if they were to go high rise (39storeys) then more space would be allocated below for public realm improvements, substantial green links, open green spaces and that Waitrose would be very welcomed in the area only if the stated 5,000sq ft was more like 30,000 sq ft [..]

[...]In response to a plea for architecturally pleasing buildings, JS confirmed that they had appointed the award winning David Chipperfield Architects and Vogt Landscape for this project. Their intention was to design a stunningly beautiful scheme with 3 central buildings at its core and pedestrian routes connecting to other parts of the community.
On Albion St:
Quote:
[..]improvements to the street would include: developing the primary school to two-form entry, devising better routes to the ‘town centre’, improving the range & quality of retailers, relocation of the health centre.

[..]workshops had been run to consider ways of bringing the street back to life. Major concerns arising from these workshops had included the ease of connections to bus, tube & Rotherhithe Village [..] they would improve landscaping & signage in the street and look at the possibility of reviving the old street market.

Discussions were in hand to include the Norwegian staff accommodation block in the re development of the former [library] [...]

A planning application for a residential development probably of affordable housing with community / retail on the ground floor on the former [library] is likely to submitted in November/December. [...]
Site updates:
Quote:
SQSC - Judicial review on going, awaiting court ruling
Harmsworth Quays – Lease assignment subject of on going dialogue
QWIE - Working to evict unauthorised churches, one has already been served notice to quit.
Docklands Settlement - [..] expected to be open for business in December 2013. [...]
Site A + A4 Tower - Nothing to report
Library/Plaza - [..] plaza as a market space was proving a challenge as windy.
Mast Leisure Centre – Nothing to report
Downtown - Nothing to report
Mulberry – Nothing to report
Seven Islands – Nothing to report

Last edited by Officer Dibble; December 4th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Officer Dibble está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 5th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #1842
Ciudad Bristol
Virtute et Industria

Likes (Received): 5

Why on earth is there a judicial review for the Surrey Quays Shopping Centre??

Five car services on the East London Line (ELL) - December 2014
Ciudad Bristol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1843
derekhales
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciudad Bristol View Post
Gotta keep the self interested twattering professional classes in work.
derekhales está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #1844
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciudad Bristol View Post
I wonder if they appealed the refusal of extra parking
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1845
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Maybe, or someone may have thought it was worth JRing the actual approval for the extension - I seem to remember it became clear that the planning committee granted permission despite some fairly strong reservations, though I can't now find evidence of that.

The plans are indeed weak in some ways - esp in doing nothing to improve the BHS side of the mall, which shows a low-rise, blank face to the lake. That's the side that could most obviously support an active frontage with cafés etc. Still, the plans are better than nothing, so I hope the JR is dispensed with quickly. I struggle to see what's gained by making planning decisions JRable.
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1846
SELondoner

Likes (Received): 12

Positive words on Rotherhithe in the Standard property bit tonight:

SELondoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #1847
joshbc
ネバーギブアップ

Likes (Received): 1542

Excellent, Thanks for the remark...

© Made in U.K. ®

█║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌║▌║

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.”Walter Bagehot.
joshbc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1848
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratin View Post
Incredible pics of the construction process https://bitly.com/ZcX5pY
spam
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #1849
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 58

Seratin, I'm going to turn your name round and call you "nit arse".
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1850
cybertect

Likes (Received): 138

Maple Quays from Butlers Wharf today

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1851
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

I wonder if the response to the consultation prompted them to proceed with caution...

Elsewhere in Rotherhithe, meanwhile, piling is underway at the Downtown Settlement:

And Marine Wharf is coming along - Sirius House is unwrapped, awaiting balconies on the Plough Road side. The rusty metal cladding looks great I think. And there's a second tower crane up, so I imagine Cadmus House will start rising some time in 2013.

Last edited by Officer Dibble; January 6th, 2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #1852
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 58

@Officer Fibble - 106 agreements mean that developers need to reserve a certain number of homes for affordable so yes, in a way, the other properties are subsidising them. Housing Association properties do have have minimum size standards too, larger than usual market price properties. These size standards comply with something called, "Decent Homes".
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #1853
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Sorry, I'm don't know which of my posts you're replying to.

It sounds like something from the social housing policy thread, where I've often argued that S106 agreements and the so-called affordable homes policy are counter-productive; I've supported minimum space standards for social housing (including HAs) but opposed them for properties built for the open market.

But I can't see where these issues have come up on this thread - at least not recently.

EDIT: Oh wait, you probably meant this, where I was trying to help Irish Blood English Heart, who wanted to know the average value of Maple Quays flats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
I think the whole development has about 900 flats. Don't know average price for private sale, but at a very rough guess it's been in the £300-£350k range. But then around a third (I think) of the 900 are "affordable" housing. Not sure how that would affect the average (if at all) - do housing associations buy at a discount? And are the HA homes larger on average, as more aimed at families? Maybe it balances out.

Add a few million more for the retail units (the Montreal House ones sold for £2.25m) and my stab in the dark is around £300m total.
You're more or less confirming my hunch that the larger home sizes in the "affordable" part of the development might approximately cancel out the fact that HAs will buy at a bit of a discount - so my average isn't a bad guess.

Last edited by Officer Dibble; January 6th, 2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #1854
saddle_point

Likes (Received): 41

http://www.london.gov.uk/who-runs-lo...gs-east-london

Any support for a pedestrian bridge between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf? The idea has been born and killed off a few years ago, but there is a new TFL consultation going on albeit a bit quietly, more information can be found in the above.
saddle_point no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1855
kwastell

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle_point View Post
http://www.london.gov.uk/who-runs-lo...gs-east-london

Any support for a pedestrian bridge between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf? The idea has been born and killed off a few years ago, but there is a new TFL consultation going on albeit a bit quietly, more information can be found in the above.
I would definitely support that. A bridge for pedestrians and cyclists would be progressive and have incredible effects on the area in my opinion.
kwastell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #1856
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

I'd love to see the proposal revived, but I'm afraid it's not in the scope of the current TfL consultation, which covers six possible crossings (all of them for vehicular traffic, not pedestrian/cycling):

Quote:
TfL is currently seeking views by 1 February 2013 on the
following options for new river crossings in east London:
- A new road tunnel between Silvertown and the Greenwich
peninsula;
- A new ferry at Woolwich to replace the existing service;
- A new vehicle ferry at Gallions Reach running between
Thamesmead and Beckton by 2017;
- A new bridge or tunnel at Gallions Reach by around 2031 if a
ferry does not address needs;
- A new bridge or tunnel at Gallions Reach, not before 2021,
instead of a ferry; and
- A toll for any new crossings and the Blackwall Tunnel to pay
for the proposals and help to manage traffic.
I believe there is no mention anywhere of the Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf route.
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #1857
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

CoStar UK news article on the Sellar outline planning application for Canada Water sites C and E:

http://www.costar.co.uk/en/assets/ne...thwark-scheme/
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #1858
saddle_point

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
I'd love to see the proposal revived, but I'm afraid it's not in the scope of the current TfL consultation, which covers six possible crossings (all of them for vehicular traffic, not pedestrian/cycling):

I believe there is no mention anywhere of the Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf route.
Yes you're right, but I've raised the point anyway for the committee to discuss (the deadline for submissions is today). I also see from the informal consultation last year that it was also raised by Southwark Council. The more of us that makes some noise the more chance that TfL will notice!
saddle_point no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #1859
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2852

Quote:
CoStar UK news article on the Sellar outline planning application for Canada Water sites C and E:

http://www.costar.co.uk/en/assets/ne...thwark-scheme/
yeah. more on it here, no documents up.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1860
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

er, you mean here?

Quote:
Outline planning application for sites C & E at Canada Water (Decathlon & What) seems to be in, but no documents online yet:
http://planningonline.southwark.gov....temkey=9548016

Tags
development, greenwich, london, rotherhithe

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: