daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #581
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 172

Delete post.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Last edited by Jim856796; January 8th, 2013 at 03:18 AM.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 24th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #582
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 58

Hi Seratin, please stop.

Last edited by LDN_EUROPE; December 24th, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #583
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 906

You do realise, your constant stream of replies to him are equally spam right?
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #584
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1696

I presume the posts will be removed swiftly?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #585
ill tonkso

When I have time to sift through them all. I have been at a wedding all weekend.
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #586
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Sorry ill tonkso.
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #587
ill tonkso

Don't worry about it. Go enjoy your Christmas*!!

*or above average telly day if you don't celebrate.
Old December 25th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #588
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

I do celebrate Christmas, although I don't like any religions. Ps. Feel free to delete this post too. Merry Christmas.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #589
spenster

Likes (Received): 11

can't find the first base tower....
This must now have its backer and flats are being sold under the new name: One The Elephant

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes...?premiumA=true
spenster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:16 PM   #590
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 13711

Perhaps the thread title can be changed to Elephant & Castle £1.5bn Redevelopment | Southwark | Approved ...

Bloomberg - Lend Lease Wins Approval for $2.4 Billion London Project

Building Design - Make's Heygate estate plans approved by Southwark

Evening Standard - New Heygate: ‘It looks nice, but where’s the affordable housing?’

-

Trances, Officer Dibble liked this post
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #591
paulina_1

Likes (Received): 17

London 360 tower update:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6603

Officer Dibble, DodgyEye liked this post
paulina_1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #592
paulina_1

Likes (Received): 17

Guardian piece : E/C Regeneration - what are the rights and wrongs?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/davehillblog
paulina_1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #593
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 286

http://www.costar.co.uk/en/assets/ne...housing-hitch/

Quote:
Lend Lease is planning a bid to buy a joint venture stake in the Elephant & Castle shopping centre in south London but cannot do so until there is clarity from owner St Modwen and Southwark council on the number of homes allowed on the site, CoStar News understands.

St Modwen appointed Colliers to find a joint venture partner or investors to help fund its development plans for the pink mall in December of last year.

St Modwen has worked up initial plans to increase the retail at the centre in south London as well as building up to 1,000 homes above it.

The group, which owns the centre in a joint venture with Salhia Real Estate, plans to be on site in 2015 with plans that expand it from the current 135,000 sq ft of shops and 90,000 sq ft of leisure and 90,000 sq ft of offices to include 350,000 sq ft of retail and up to 1,000 apartments.

The apartments will be built above the centre.

Australian developer Lend Lease which is Southwark council's development partner on the wider regeneration of the Elephant & Castle including the redevelopment of the nearby Heygate Estate is understood to be keen to bid for the stake.

However, any bid will not happen until there is agreement on the number of houses that could be developed above the centre.

Southwark council and Lend Lease believe that the site should only house around 500 homes while St Modwen's initial indications are that up to 1,000 could be built there.

St Modwen is understood to have received significant interest in the centre stake but is yet to enter discussions with one party. It is also yet to finalise the number of residential units it proposes to build ahead of lodging its planning application.

There will however need to be agreement reached between the three parties before they can conclude a co-operation agreement on the redevelopment of the centre.

Council leader Peter John confirme to CoStar News that the council was likely to only support around 500 homes at the site given the amount of housing coming forward in the rest of the area.
That sort of size means they are looking at a couple of small department stores. A Marks and a Debenhams/Primark prehaps?

That's about as high as they could realistically aim
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #594
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
That's about as high as they could realistically aim
I don't see why. E&C is set to become a smart residential area in zone 1; it should be able to attract a John Lewis or Selfridges or whatever.
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #595
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulina_1 View Post
Guardian piece : E/C Regeneration - what are the rights and wrongs?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/davehillblog
Quote:
One. What should "regeneration" be for?

Two: Can we regenerate without hurting the poorest most?

Three: When, if ever, is it right to redevelop land containing housing estates deemed to have failed?

Four: Is it right to create a new "mixed community" if it means breaking up a less mixed established one?

Five: Are there better ways to create more homes, jobs and amenities than through "comprehensive regeneration" in partnership with private developers?

Six: Are taller buildings always bad?

Seven: Is greater building density always bad?

Eight: Should the wishes of local people come first?

Nine: If councils don't "unlock land values" what is the cost?

And finally, an easy one.

Ten: What should London's planning priorities be?
1. I think regeneration means improving a shabby (and often deteriorating) area by building enough decent new stuff (replacing some of the old if necessary/possible) to give the area enough of a new lease of life to push it past the tipping point beyond which it will prosper (or at least not deteriorate) without further intervention.

2. Strange question. Usually the poorest benefit most.

3. Strange question. Always.

4. Probably, but there isn't necessarily a need to 'break up' the old community, just add some new elements to it.

5. Yes, though comprehensive regeneration is not a bad start with respect to homes and amenities. But to create more homes I'd sweep away "affordable" homes targets, most building regs and much of the planning system and let supply respond to demand in the housing market. That wouldn't hurt the job market either.

6. Strange question. No. They're often very good.

7. Strange question. No, in a city it's almost always good.

8. My view is that they should always be solicited and considered, but that they need not necessarily be decisive: as in any planning process there's a balance to be struck between competing interests.

9. It depends - there may obviously be a waste of potential revenue for the local authority. It may also be a sign that they're letting the area down by not allowing it to achieve its potential.

10. Reform the planning system such that housing supply responds to demand, both in terms of quantity (so that house prices come down to affordable levels) and quality (so that new homes are attractive to their residents).
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #596
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
I don't see why. E&C is set to become a smart residential area in zone 1; it should be able to attract a John Lewis or Selfridges or whatever.
It'll take more than a transformed Heygate to provide a big enough market for those sort of stores, especially when they are only 15 minutes away on the tube.

Elephant & Castle will never be a 'Smart' address. There are too many council estates and too much post war development. It will certainly gentrify, but how far remains to be seen.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #597
kwastell

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post

1. I think regeneration means improving a shabby (and often deteriorating) area by building enough decent new stuff (replacing some of the old if necessary/possible) to give the area enough of a new lease of life to push it past the tipping point beyond which it will prosper (or at least not deteriorate) without further intervention.

2. Strange question. Usually the poorest benefit most.

3. Strange question. Always.

4. Probably, but there isn't necessarily a need to 'break up' the old community, just add some new elements to it.

5. Yes, though comprehensive regeneration is not a bad start with respect to homes and amenities. But to create more homes I'd sweep away "affordable" homes targets, most building regs and much of the planning system and let supply respond to demand in the housing market. That wouldn't hurt the job market either.

6. Strange question. No. They're often very good.

7. Strange question. No, in a city it's almost always good.

8. My view is that they should always be solicited and considered, but that they need not necessarily be decisive: as in any planning process there's a balance to be struck between competing interests.

9. It depends - there may obviously be a waste of potential revenue for the local authority. It may also be a sign that they're letting the area down by not allowing it to achieve its potential.

10. Reform the planning system such that housing supply responds to demand, both in terms of quantity (so that house prices come down to affordable levels) and quality (so that new homes are attractive to their residents).
I'm actually in favour of the E&C regeneration. Been at uni there for the past three years and parts of the area feel pretty unsafe.

However, with regards to your supply and demand point: Is that market not completely unbalanced by the volume of non-London residents buying up new homes in zones 1 and 2 as part of a property portfolio? And subsequently are affordable home targets not designed to increase social mobility instead of driving the poorest further out of town?

I'm all for the greater integration of classes. I think that controls are needed to put right the massive errors created when huge 60s/70s council estates further exacerbated London's problems of class segregation.
kwastell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #598
potto

Likes (Received): 1843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
Elephant & Castle will never be a 'Smart' address. There are too many council estates and too much post war development. It will certainly gentrify, but how far remains to be seen.
It could have been before the plans were watered down by the various developers haggling over it
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #599
potto

Likes (Received): 1843

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwastell View Post
I'm all for the greater integration of classes. I think that controls are needed to put right the massive errors created when huge 60s/70s council estates further exacerbated London's problems of class segregation.
Also most estates were less dense than the urban topography they replaced and certainly turn large areas of land into inflexible places akin to a conservation area thereby exasperating the current housing crisis.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #600
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 332

Towards the north and west I can see the place improving drastically. There is a decent supply of Victorian and Edwardian housing stock, it's next to Kennington and Lambeth (the small area, not borough), nearer to central London and transport options are better. St. George's road and streets off it are showing signs of smartening up now. I can see many of those low-rise developments built during the 1990s washed away over time

East of the rail viaduct is a bit different, especially south of Heygate - i.e. Walworth proper. Although Walworth Road isn't the worst street in London it still looks pretty tatty. You're also getting closer to the transport 'black hole' around Camberwell and Burgess Park.
kerouac1848 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: