daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3921
js1000

Likes (Received): 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Here's your lot for this year folks. As it stands, the development map here in Manchester.

Consult the key/legend for info on the colours.

I'll have probably missed some stuff off, but here's hoping I haven't.

2013 will see the construction/completion of a lot of the blue schemes, whilst some of the orange schemes may see the light of day on these forums (but probably non will start, except maybe the Exchange Quay towers).

Have a happy 2013! (Plus, I'll be updating the Construction Timeline for January some day soon. January 2013 looks to be a very interesting month, with plenty of construction starting)

You missed out the new Indigo Hotel next to Victoria station & Urbis. Should start in 2013 once One Angel Square is complete. Also River Street Tower is definitely orange material rather than blue.
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #3922
VDB

Likes (Received): 2151

The Indigo Hotel is mentioned in the bit on Angel Square & NOMA.

Not sure why I put River St on blue, but you're right it's meant to be orange (though could start construction in 2013)
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3923
Pablo Diablo

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000 View Post
They're knocking them down? Can't remember if those tower blocks were left from the original Hulme Crescents. Remember then being in the shadow of the college I used to attend years ago.
Some are being demolished, the rest of being refurbished. I used to live near by - the refurbed one (I think it's just one so far?) actually looks pretty good. It'd be interesting to see what they're like on the inside.
Pablo Diablo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #3924
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 673

Volde, what's the green line based on?
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #3925
VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
Volde, what's the green line based on?
It's my recognition of what the CBD is - nothing official

It doesn't include any fringe areas, only the bits of the city where footfall is maximum. Tried my best not to include any low-density or run down areas; hence why both Victoria and Piccadilly (London Road area) stations are not included.

I included the CBD in order to make it obvious how some schemes (First St, NOMA) have the potential of actually expanding the city centre
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #3926
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Yawn
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3927
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Nice work, that's really handy.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3928
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 1067

Nice one Danny!

http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/conten...-no-queens-hon

Quote:
Rebellious Manchester: Oscar winner Danny Boyle and the Mancunians who say 'no' to Queen's honours

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 04:50
By Andrew Bardsley

After Olympic opening ceremony hero Danny Boyle revealed this month that he has declined a knighthood, MM investigates which other famous Mancunians have turned down honours from Her Majesty.

The Radcliffe Oscar-winning filmmaker, who directed Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire, has said he wants to remain “a man of the people.”

He was put forward for his work organising the spectacular Opening Ceremony of last summer’s Olympic Games, which had an egalitarian feel to it, with the NHS acting as a cornerstone for the celebrations.

Boyle, 56, told Radio 4 last week: “I’m very proud to be an equal citizen and I think that's what the Opening Ceremony was actually about."

Famous Mancunians have a history of rejecting honours from the Queen stretching right back to the 1950s.

LS Lowry holds the record for rejecting the most British honours, turning down five including an OBE in 1955, a CBE in 1961 and a knighthood in 1968.

Famed for his work depicting industrial towns in the North West and his trademark matchstick men, Lowry - who died in 1976 - was a very private man and wanted to keep it that way.

The Stretford born artist is honoured in Salford with the Lowry Theatre on the Quays, and his creative legacy lives on.

Salford’s Albert Finney, who recently starred in the new Bond film Skyfall, turned down a knighthood in 2000 as well as a CBE in 1980.

The four-time Oscar nominee burst onto the scene with his portrayal of Arthur Seaton in the classic kitchen sink film Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and has gone on to have a glittering career.

But Finney has been a constant critic of the honours system, claiming it 'perpetuates snobbery'.

Manchester has always been a rebellious city, and some of its favourite sons have clearly enhanced this reputation.

Communist pioneers Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels worked in the city, it bred the co-operative movement in Rochdale, and demands for parliamentary reform led to the 1819 Peterloo Massacre.

And Morrissey, one of the city’s most outspoken stars, continues to berate the royal family.

He recently slammed the royals for their handling of the tragic prank phone call incident, and declared 'the arrogance of the British royals is staggering, absolutely staggering'.

It doesn’t look likely that Morrissey will get the chance to refuse any honours just as Danny Boyle did!
Nathan Dawz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3929
VDB

Is there an Ardwick thread? Anyway. Small development but it's something.

6 storey residential development on Hathersage Road currently pending consideration, application went in on 9th November 2012.

http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-a...=MD879JBC6K000

Quote:
100924/OO/2012/N2 | OUTLINE APPLICATION (with all matters reserved) for the erection of a six-storey building to form 138 apartments incorporating car parking for 30 cars, vehicular access from Hathersage Road and associated landscaping following demolition of existing buildings | 55-65 Hathersage Road Ardwick Manchester M13 0EW
Design Access Statement;

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...4-dsx-0001.pdf
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #3930
Cherguevara

That's not really Ardwick. That's more Victoria Park.
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3931
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 310

Agreed Che, that is no way near Ardwick, yet the city council's own planning site describes it as such.

Perhaps, it resides in the electoral ward of Ardwick which maybe emcompasses places not regarded in common knowledge as such.

By the way I am curious, has there been 12 preceding threads to this or is the 13 an in joke?

VD on yer excellent map, may I suggest that you do include Victoria and Piccadilly in your personal CBD green line and that you colour in a block of land off Churchill Way, Pendleton in orange. It's a huge open site, which as far as I underhand is "aspirational."

Ideal in my opinion to position a 12,000 capacity rugby stadium, 900 place car park, 100 place VIP car park and community buildings. If such thing is required after 7 January 2013.

Last edited by heatonparkincakes; December 30th, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:26 AM   #3932
Cherguevara

I suspect they just go off ward names, and since there is no longer a Chorlton-on-Medlock ward then being east of Oxford Road this falls within it.

Does anyone know of any resources relating to old council wards/community areas in Manchester that don't exist any more. I know there was New Cross at the end of Oldham Road, and Greenheyes where the Science park is now, but I wondered if anyone had a map/document on any others.
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3933
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 310

Che.
You could try to dig out the MEN archives for the old elections at the city library.

I am sure MCC have their electoral archives.

I will consult my trusty antique GM handbook for 1975 upstairs to peel back the decades to speak of the Collegiate ward and Crossacres.

But frankly I am going to first devour a fine bottle of Talisker this evening.

You'll have to wait boy.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:27 PM   #3934
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 95

Going downmarket fast!!

Not a big fan of this at the moment. It's on Cross St till Jan 6.

http://www.carouselfunfairs.com
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3935
timo
Weaste Infection

Likes (Received): 25

It is tacky and horrible. Not good for the city centre at all.
timo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:43 PM   #3936
LongRipple

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop View Post
Not a big fan of this at the moment. It's on Cross St till Jan 6.

http://www.carouselfunfairs.com
Presumably that was the minimum price for local businessman- Mr Gary Gore- to stump up the £20k for the NYE fireworks that no other city centre businesses would.
What it buys him in the future (once the council has spent the entertainment budget by October on private Alicia Keys/MTV parties for themselves and selected guests) is anyone's guess!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM   #3937
Manc Guy

Likes (Received): 14

It's awful!
Manc Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #3938
hulmeman2

Likes (Received): 236

Any of the snappers from SSC Manchester featured in this? Looks very interesting, might pop into Cornerhouse and take a look!

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...r-for-new-book

Quote:
Pictures chronicle a day in the life of Manchester for new book
January 06, 2013

A new charity book is made up of pictures taken by hundreds of photographers, chronicling every part of the day somewhere in Manchester. Paul Taylor reports ...

A SHIMMERING midnight Manchester skyscape. A plate of full English breakfast. A baby being nuzzled by a woolly toy sheep.

The only connection is that these disparate images represent Manchester at a particular time of day.

And when you flick through the Hour Manchester book, with an image for every 15-minute interval of the 24-hour clock, you see all the contrasts of urban life compacted into one day, from sun-lit views of Salford Quays to grim litter-strewn back alleys, from a city gent in suit and tie to a musician blowing his saxophone in the Northern Quarter.

Pri Adhikari is the marketing manager for MarketLine, part of Informa, the international publishing company whose Manchester office is behind the Hour Manchester project.

He said: "We wanted to make the project something by the people and for the people of Greater Manchester, and to involve as many people as possible."

The book is raising funds toward the Prince’s Trust, and is part of the Million Makers initiative, in which businesses come up with ideas to raise a total of a £1m for the trust nationally.

Pri said: "Instead of just having a collection of photos, the unique point was to capture an image every 15 minutes.

"So the book is like 24 hours in Manchester – not the same day, but overall it’s a 24-hour picture of Manchester, and how varied and different we are, but how we’re all tied in together by a love of this great city."

You may think that photographic offerings taken at certain points of the day – such as dawn – may be thin on the ground.

Yet one of the most evocative images was captured at 5am: a handful of customers in a cafe, their faces given a deathly pallor by the neon sign, suggesting the title Zombie Chippy.

Members of the Hour Manchester project generated interest last September by planting a thousand little toy cameras around the city, encouraging people to get in touch and find out about the idea.

With support from acclaimed Mancunian photographer Kevin Cummins and music writer John Robb the project received 1,500 images in just five weeks from amateur photographers old and young. These were then whittled down to 96 images – four for every hour of the day.

The book is available for £15 through certain bookshops, including Magma in Oldham Street, Manchester, and the Cornerhouse, or by going to www.justgiving.com/Hour-Manchester
hulmeman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3939
Solina
commieblocker

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000 View Post
They're knocking them down? Can't remember if those tower blocks were left from the original Hulme Crescents. Remember then being in the shadow of the college I used to attend years ago.
As daft as it might sound those blocks aren't withing the City Of Manchester but lie within a sticky-out bit of neighbouring Trafford. They were never part of the redevelopment of Hulme and I've read that the planners of Hulme V were distinctly miffed when Trafford errected the blocks next door to their flagship development without any consultation. Their worry was that the point blocks would spoil/get confused with/detract from the vision they had planned. How times change...

I don't have the data to hand to tell you when they were approved/constructed but I've no reason to believe the above is untrue.
Solina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3940
Cherguevara

The lack of integration of streets between Old Trafford and Hulme is absurd.