daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums > Archive > Urban Photo Contest

Old December 22nd, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 3000

Ending the Urban Photo Contest: no more nominating

The urban Photoshop Contest has ended. We're having one more voting round, and after that all winners of 2012 will go to a final tournament and that's that.

Photo Contest will come back in another format (non forum one) in 2013.

Thanks all for joining in!
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Denjiro
Truly Saigonese. ღ

Likes (Received): 5534

Cool!
Denjiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Nikkodemo
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5908

In another format?

I don´t understand.
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:33 AM   #4
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 19

Not that surprised. The contest has been going downhill all year, from the range of submissions to the quality of the voting.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 3968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
In another format?

I don´t understand.
My guess is that it is going to go to the XL area, where you can submit and vote automatically.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:05 AM   #6
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Not that surprised. The contest has been going downhill all year, from the range of submissions to the quality of the voting.
Agreed. It was about time for some change, too bad not earlier.
Union.SLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:13 AM   #7
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union.SLO View Post
Agreed. It was about time for some change, too bad not earlier.
If I'm going to be honest, which is something I have a penchant for being, the problem with this contest has been the voters and the voting. All of the best photographers in this contest have been driven off over the last year by voters who do everything from give everything 5s to voting based on nationality. It's completely not serious and is borderline masochistic to submit a high quality photo and have it be ripped to shreds by amateurs because they don't see a widely photographed view of a widely photographed skyline.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
If I'm going to be honest, which is something I have a penchant for being, the problem with this contest has been the voters and the voting. All of the best photographers in this contest have been driven off over the last year by voters who do everything from give everything 5s to voting based on nationality. It's completely not serious and is borderline masochistic to submit a high quality photo and have it be ripped to shreds by amateurs because they don't see a widely photographed view of a widely photographed skyline.
I share the same view. My and Vagamundo's photos were somehow mostly liked and well accepted, but to many other authors, including you, I found the voting crowd to be painfully unfair and critical. So many great photographers have left this competition (+ especially the dullness of voters) that it eventually became boring and no more challenging to participate. If it weren't for the Niles' and some of the Polish guys photos, I wouldn't even be checking this section anymore for the last months.
Union.SLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 3968

If the voting goes to XL, it will probably attract more people, maybe a permanent crowd like the one that votes for banners and one-on-one. At least a few hundred votes per day.

Now, one important factor to be sorted out for whatever contest substitute for UPC is: is the contest mostly about the technical quality of photos, about the subject on the shot, or about the impressions it produces on viewers?

If one is to judge the photos based on how the photographers managed things like exposure, choice of angle, contrast, depth, then I think most if not 90%+ of SSC members don't have the abilities required to make such assessments.

If one is to give a rating based on his/her impressions with the pic in question as an object of art, then the voting becomes a matter of photographers that fit the SSC crowd tastes faring better (like in any other picture context). And, then, whomever is photographing famous skylines or famous angles (Sydney Opera with bridge on the right third, for instance) will usually get some attention to begin with.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #10
LT1550

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
from the range of submissions to the quality of the voting.
Quality of the voting? I don't see that much differences between 2005 and today. Low or unreasoned votes were always there and sometimes a problem.
There are were just fewer participants today. A few years ago, we sometimes had two full pages of submissions and more.

Finally, we all may not forget that this forum is not a plain photography board. The voting is open to every member and not all are of course professionals. How will you manage it? Only let professional photographers participate?!? In this case, the contest would have been died much earlier than 2012.

You said that the good photographers left... that's true. But it's also true that the potential 'good photographers' left because of some 'professional photographers' telling them that 'they have no idea of photography'.

Last edited by LT1550; December 23rd, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
LT1550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Vagamundo.
Фотографии Хантер

Post and vote.. Would be a possitive thing

flickr
Vagamundo. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #12
wc eend
Fremdkörper

Likes (Received): 57

Is there no possibility of anonymous photo posting to prevent nationalistic votes?
wc eend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Johnoo1

Likes (Received): 6

need to decide if it purely a competition or a critique as well. Several people have improved their photography a lot from some comments made but those comments will also 'encourage' others to vote lower and even tar that person with a 'not so good' label even when they improve.
Johnoo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #14
Vagamundo.
Фотографии Хантер

Just the strong ones gonna survive! .)

flickr
Vagamundo. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #15
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 3830

Would like to see what comes of this, I stopped submitting entries ages ago
sure know how to run free"
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM   #16
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Agreed.

Last edited by El_Greco; December 31st, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:13 AM   #17
Awik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union.SLO View Post
I share the same view. My and Vagamundo's photos were somehow mostly liked and well accepted, but to many other authors, including you, I found the voting crowd to be painfully unfair and critical. So many great photographers have left this competition (+ especially the dullness of voters) that it eventually became boring and no more challenging to participate. If it weren't for the Niles' and some of the Polish guys photos, I wouldn't even be checking this section anymore for the last months.
Now I understand why you have stopped post your photos in this contest.
Awik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:27 AM   #18
thuquang90

Likes (Received): 0

I thinks it's completely not serious and is borderline masochistic to submit a high quality photo and have it be ripped to shreds by amateurs because they don't see a widely photographed view of a widely photographed skyline.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:40 AM   #19
LT1550

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuquang90 View Post

I thinks it's completely not serious and is borderline masochistic to submit a high quality photo and have it be ripped to shreds by amateurs because they don't see a widely photographed view of a widely photographed skyline.
That's why I have mentioned that Skyscrapercity.com is not a plain photography forum for professionals. What do you really expect? People who are not into photography look on photos differently and I can understand it. It's still not possible to exclude them from this part of the forum.
LT1550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Galro

Likes (Received): 2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1550 View Post
That's why I have mentioned that Skyscrapercity.com is not a plain photography forum for professionals. What do you really expect? People who are not into photography look on photos differently and I can understand it. It's still not possible to exclude them from this part of the forum.
You are answering a bot which have just copied part of ThatDarnSacramentans comment from here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...21&postcount=7
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote