SkyscraperCity Forum banner
118K views 351 replies 27 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
South Shields 365 - A 100 million pound Masterplan

Extract from Press release of 08/01/13

A £100million masterplan to make South Shields an exciting destination every day of the year was unveiled to an audience of business representatives today.

The ambitious plan - titled "South Shields 365" - sets out a bold vision for a radical town centre redevelopment including a new cinema, library and retail and leisure facilities.

South Tyneside Council has drawn up the plan in a determined bid to make South Shields the North East's premier coastal resort.

It was launched at One Trinity Green by Council Leader, Iain Malcolm and Chief Executive, Martin Swales in front of 100 delegates from South Tyneside businesses.

Full article on http://www.southtyneside.info/article/17598/south-shields-365-a-100-million-pound-masterplan

Link to plan http://www.southtyneside.info/article/17383/South-Shields-365-Town-Centre-vision

and http://www.southtyneside.info/article/17385/South-Shields-Town-Centre

Link to other South Tyneside regeneration etc schemes http://www.southtyneside.info/article/17382

KEN

See less See more
#3 ·
South Shields 365 - A 100 million pound Masterplan , 08/01/13

Think the Scheme above deserves its own Thread!!! (Historian)

Now ok, I'm not against that idea at all, it sounds an exciting prospect - very exciting.

However, is it a "tangible" project that we could follow on here, or is it more of just a "vision", with not all that much prospect of developing into any boots-on-the-ground in the forseeable future??

I am interested to know what people think about that aspect of it, before committing to a new thread, partly because this very (type of) thing is coincidentally currently being discussed (in general terms) on one of the 'Moderators' forums of SSC, at the moment . . .

Ni3lS said:
So about visions.. It's getting worse now. I don't know who opened the Baku thread (azerbaijan tower) but it's obviously a vision and very unlikely to happen.

Because this thread remains open it triggers other forumers into opening threads about 'visions' that are too vague, and are perhaps not likely to ever come to anything.
erbse said:
Perhaps we should agree on what we define as a "serious proposal" and what would actually be a "vision", before agreeing to new threads.
Taller said:
I think "visions" are practically useless until they become firm proposals. They are okay to discuss on 'general discussion' threads, but not at the Project Level. Really, a pipedream can just be a way for people to brag about something that is never going to happen in reality.

. . . and so it goes on.

So, just a thought before we adopt a specific thread for this.

If those who know the South Shields area far better than me feel that there will be enough mileage in this one, enough to talk about, to give this its own thread - then that is definitely what we should do!

Please let me know.

#4 ·
Correct - have just viewed Look North 1330 version and in it a ST spokesman talks of "sign up with preferred bidder in Summer"

Perhaps wait until someone "Signs Up" before individual project is set up

In this economic climate the project may not happen

KEN
South Tyneside Council appear to be very proactive in their Local Development but perhaps they should try and conclude some of their existing projects before having visions of others.

For instance they have the SPD 8 South Shields Riverside Regeneration August 2009 which is far from completion - http://www.southtyneside.info/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=362&p=0

As to the SSC situation, I cannot see that anything would be gained by opening up a thread where very little is to happen, far better to have one opned when there is something to report and comment upon. From a purely administration perspective, far tidier that way.

#6 ·
Further to our discussions of yesterday (8th January 2013) about the "South Shields 365 Scheme", there is also an article about it in this mornings JOURNAL . . .

South Shields 10-year revamp plans are unveiled
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, January 9th 2013

Artists impression of the proposed revamped area of South Shields

A TEN-year plan to spend £100m revitalising South Shields has been unveiled.
The South Shields 365 scheme will see major demolition work as the town centre overhaul is carried out, as well as the creation of a new cinema, library and retail and leisure facilities. Council planners say they want to improve the riverside, the foreshore and the town centre, including hopes of attracting “a quality hotel with conferencing facilities”.

Alongside this comes ambitious plans to reverse worrying trends which show that for every £100 residents in the borough have to spend just £3.10 is spent in South Shields. Council leaders say that within 10 years they will, as well as rebuilding the face of South Shields, be well into a year long programme of regular cultural events.

Announcing the plans yesterday, Council leader Iain Malcolm said: “We know this will create jobs in the construction phase at least, but what is just as important is that we build on the 1.8m visitors we already have a year and see that grow significantly over the next 10 years.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...ns-are-unveiled-61634-32569970/#ixzz2HTTau4Ol

#7 ·
Now ok, I'm not against that idea at all, it sounds an exciting prospect - very exciting.

However, is it a "tangible" project that we could follow on here, or is it more of just a "vision", with not all that much prospect of developing into any boots-on-the-ground in the forseeable future??

I am interested to know what people think about that aspect of it, before committing to a new thread, partly because this very (type of) thing is coincidentally currently being discussed (in general terms) on one of the 'Moderators' forums of SSC, at the moment . . .

So, just a thought before we adopt a specific thread for this.

If those who know the South Shields area far better than me feel that there will be enough mileage in this one, enough to talk about, to give this its own thread - then that is definitely what we should do!

Please let me know.

Further to the above, and taking into account all subsequent comments received on this 'Developments Thread' about this Project, I think we might be best served to start a dedicated 'Project Thread' on this occasion.

I have received a couple of PMs, making a very strong and sensible case for one, and I tend to agree that if you look at the 360 document it has some credible timelines and specific locations with some of the works being started.

So, unless people strongly disagree, I will set up a Project Thread today.

#9 ·
South Shields 365

Now that a separate thread has been created for the multi million pound and 10 year scheme perhaps it should include the following posts from the South Shields, Jarrow and Hebburn thread - namely 146, 147, 148, 165, 166, 168, 169, 183 and 186 which are all associated with the buildings surrounding the Market Square including Wouldhave House, The Brigantine Pub etc

KEN

#10 ·
Now that a separate thread has been created for the multi million pound and 10 year scheme perhaps it should include the following posts from the South Shields, Jarrow and Hebburn thread - namely 146, 147, 148, 165, 166, 168, 169, 183 and 186 which are all associated with the buildings surrounding the Market Square including Wouldhave House, The Brigantine Pub etc

KEN

Thanks Ken, a good idea to get all the relevant information (to this project) copied into this thread.

In the normal way, I would just place copies of the original posts here into the thread.

However, as all those listed posts are (naturally) dated prior to your "Thread Opening Post" of 8th January 2012, when the South Shields 365 Town Centre Masterplan was formally announced, they would thus appear in here BEFORE your Opening Post.

So, to avoid that happening, I will include them as "Quotes" in current-dated posts, instead.

Starting in the next post . . .

#22 ·
Courtesy of the Shields Gazette @ http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/...-rebuke-over-town-s-100m-masterplan-1-5333266

‘Doubting Thomas’ rebuke over town’s £100m masterplan

Published on Saturday 19 January 2013 21:34

Coun Iain Malcolm.

THE leader of South Tyneside Council labelled a political opponent a ‘Doubting Thomas’ after he expressed scepticism over a £100m ‘masterplan’ for South Shields Town Centre.

Coun Iain Malcolm used the Biblical analogy at a meeting of the full council this week in an exchange with opposition leader Coun George Elsom.

During the same debate, another senior Labour councillor also claimed South Shields was “no longer a market town”.

“It is a town with a market”, declared Coun Michael Clare, the council’s lead member for regeneration and economy.

The comments came during a discussion on ‘South Shields 365’, the council’s ambitious plan to revitalise the town centre.

#23 ·
The Brigantine Public House - demolition as at 29/01/13

Follow to last post of 10/01/13 showing demolition work in progress and building scheduled to be removed here are some pictures taken by myself 20/01/13 approx 1015 showing ongoing work by Owen Pugh (Contracts) Ltd showing protection to adjacent building and state of site area (hosted on Photobucket)

NB Also posted into in South Shields, Jarrow, Hebburn thread

KEN

#24 ·
Published on Friday 1 February 2013 19:04

A MULTI-MILLION ‘masterplan’ for South Shields town centre moved a step closer today.

The company tasked with flattening Wouldhave House in South Shields Market Place, Northumberland-based Owen Pugh Contracts, will be handed the keys to the building before Monday, February 11.

It is anticipated demolition work will take 14 weeks and flattening the 1960s-style building is seen as a key element in the £100m regeneration plan for the town centre.

Read more: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/eyesore-is-just-weeks-from-demolition-1-5376210

#25 ·
While the demolition of the Brigantine and Wouldhave House is splendid news, it's not like that will end South Shields' stock of shabby, low quality buildings (the north side of the market square doesn't seem to be going anywhere). What's more, many of the attractive, or at least potentially attractive, buildings are rather neglected (last time I looked, the Bonmarche building next to the Metro had pigeons living in it; other attractive stone and brick facades are cheaply painted over, etc.)

I didn't see anything in the masterplan about smartening up the remaining stock of buildings through sandblasting, repainting, recladding, etc. Nor is there any mention of improving the paving of the pedestrian area, street furniture, lighting concepts, etc., all of which would contribute substantially to improving the atmosphere in SS. Did I miss something?

#26 ·
This is from the vision document:

The traditional retail heart of the centre remains King Street/Ocean Road. This is a pedestrianised linear shopping parade running from Market Square to Ocean Road and provides a variety of retail units of varying sizes which accommodate a range of operators including high street brands such as Marks & Spencer, HMV, Greenwoods, Mothercare and Clarks Shoes as well as a range of independent shops.

However, while many of the units are attractive and well appointed 19th Century/early 20th Century three storey buildings, the ground floor shop unit size and layout, together with rental levels would appear to be unattractive to many national operators who have strict requirements in terms of unit size and layout and rental levels. There would also appear to be little use of upper floors. Meeting modern retailing requirements by providing new development opportunities through site assembly and by working with the private sector will help achieve our long term aims of a sustainable and thriving centre.

The main secondary shopping area is Fowler Street which serves as a key route into the Town Centre for buses. While the northern end of the street
adjacent to the Town Centre has some attractive buildings, much of the rest of the street is of very low environmental quality with terraces of converted and extended retail properties.

A rationalisation and remodelling of part of Fowler Street will improve this gateway into the town and will provide better integration with new development opportunities. To the rear of Fowler Street (east) are areas of surface car parking and some vacant sites/disused buildings together with some retail/trade showroom uses. Again the rationalisation of some of these uses together with selected acquisitions would provide new private sector development opportunities which would link in with the heart of the Town Centre.
They know there's a problem with the existing retail stock and upper floors.

#27 ·
South Shields 365 - £100m revamp work begins

This article from BBC News 13/02/13:-

Extracts

A £100m redevelopment of a seaside town in the North East is under way.

The revamp of South Shields is expected to take 10 years to complete and will boast a new hotel, shops, library and leisure facilities.

South Tyneside Council said the start of the project was being marked with the demolition of 1960s eyesore Wouldhave House.

The plan, called South Shields 356, also includes a new cinema and cultural centre.

The bulldozing of Wouldhave House and redevelopment of the site will take three months
and badly located in article including two new buildings, a library and rooftop restaurant.

Full story on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21439840

KEN

#28 ·
This article from BBC News 13/02/13:-

Extracts

A £100m redevelopment of a seaside town in the North East is under way.

The revamp of South Shields is expected to take 10 years to complete and will boast a new hotel, shops, library and leisure facilities.

South Tyneside Council said the start of the project was being marked with the demolition of 1960s eyesore Wouldhave House.

The plan, called South Shields 356, also includes a new cinema and cultural centre.

The bulldozing of Wouldhave House and redevelopment of the site will take three months
and badly located in article including two new buildings, a library and rooftop restaurant.

Full story on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21439840

KEN

VIDEO: Eyesore set to vanish as transformation begins

Video from the Shields Gazette here - http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/...-to-vanish-as-transformation-begins-1-5407522

#29 ·
South Shields 365 - £100m revamp work begins with demolition of Wouldhave House , as at 19/02/13

Work as stated in posts above has started with demolition process on Wouldhave House however when I took these photos on Tuesday 19/02/13 only small machines were being utilised (hosted on Photobucket)

However noted that large Komatsu machine parked in car park area so not long before "crunching" of structure

KEN

#30 ·
South Shields 365 - £100m revamp work begins with demolition of Wouldhave House, as at 05/03/13

Work as stated in earlier posts is now in progress with demolition process on Wouldhave House and I took these photos on Tuesday 05/03/13 to show large machine being used and protective scaffold being erected to Market Square elevation (hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

#31 ·
South Tyneside regeneration plan receives £5m boost
by Iain Laing, The Journal, March 20th 2013

The regeneration of South Shields Town Centre was awarded £5m by the North East Local Enterprise Partnership. The LEP is responsible for allocating £25m in Government money to major regional development projects in the form of flexible loans. Councillor Iain Malcolm, leader of South Tyneside Council, said: “South Shields 365 is an ambitious plan to make the town centre an exciting destination every day of the year, and this is another important step towards making that vision a reality. In just two months since launching the masterplan, we have seen work start on demolishing the eyesore Wouldhave House and now there’s a major funding success to increase the momentum of regeneration."

“The masterplan will connect our beautiful seafront with a vibrant town centre and renewed Riverside area, where major regeneration projects are already under way. The South Shields 365 plan will receive a £5m Growing Places loan, supporting the council’s vision to make South Shields the North East’s premier coastal resort. The 10-year plan aims to bring a new cinema, and retail and leisure facilities to the town centre, as well as a new library and public transport hub. The council will appoint a lead developer for the £100m scheme later this year.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...es-7m-fund-boost-for-projects-51140-33022991/

#32 ·
South Shields 365 - £100m revamp work begins with demolition of Wouldhave House, as at 25/03/13

Work as stated in earlier post #30 of 06/03/13 is now in progress with demolition on Wouldhave House and I took these photos on Monday 25/03/13 approx 1500 - 1515 to show state of progress at that point in time and large machine being used (hosted on Photobucket)

But first this screen print of Google Maps image showing an aerial view of Wouldhave House (before the works), the Market Square and adjacent road network

My pictures of 25/03/13

Outer walls to be down by end of of this week or next week at latest I reckon

KEN

#33 ·
South Shields 365 - £100m revamp work begins with demolition of Wouldhave House, as at 25/03/13

Work as stated in earlier post #32 of 03/04/13 is now in progress with demolition on Wouldhave House and I took these photos on Wednesday 03/04/13 approx 1300 - 1315 to show state of progress at that point in time (hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

#34 ·
Wouldhave House Disappearing Before Our Eyes, - story 08/04/13

Press release from South Tyneside Council 08/04/13:-

Extract

Demolition is progressing fast at Wouldhave House, the 1960s eyesore building in South Shields Market Place which is being flattened as the first stage in the town's £100m regeneration.

The 14-week programme, which is being carried out by Owen Pugh (Contracts) Ltd on behalf of South Tyneside Council, is making rapid progress having started at the rear of the concrete-framed building.

The first stages in the process saw contractors removing the electrics and carrying out 'soft stripping', to remove internal fixtures and fittings. The next stage - removing concrete panels, taking the roof off and then removing the three floors in turn, has been completed on the rear section facing Ferry Approach.

This 'front to back' progress will continue, with additional screening added to the building's frontage to control dust caused by the demolition.

Full story on http://www.southtyneside.info/article/18173/wouldhave-house-disappearing-before-our-eyes

KEN

#35 · (Edited)
Town eyesore will soon be no more

Courtesy of the Shields Gazette @ http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/town-eyesore-will-soon-be-no-more-1-5564310

Town eyesore will soon be no more

Published on 08/04/2013 14:45

AN eyesore building in South Shields Market Place is rapidly disappearing before townsfolk’s eyes.

Wouldhave House, an infamous blot on the town’s urban landscape for decades, will soon be no more.

Demolition of the 1960s architectural relic marks the first stage of a £100m regeneration of the town centre.

The bulldozing of the former office block and retail outlets, being carried out by North Tyneside firm Owen Pugh on behalf of South Tyneside Council, is progressing rapidly after getting under way at the rear of the concrete-framed building.

The first stage in a process expected to take 14 weeks saw contractors removing electrical appliances and cables, as well as fixtures and fittings. The next stage – removing concrete panels, taking the roof off, then removing the three floors in turn – has been completed on the rear section facing Ferry Approach.

As work continues, additional screening will be added to the building’s frontage to control dust generated by the demolition. A mural of men in a fishing boat on the gable end of the building facing the river has also now gone for ever.

Coun Iain Malcolm, leader of South Tyneside Council, said: “It is great to see the demolition moving ahead so fast, and this is a key step towards a better future for South Shields town centre.

“Wouldhave House is an eyesore which we plan to replace with two quality buildings, including a new library and cultural centre.

“In spite of difficult economic times, we are investing in bold and ambitious plans to deliver regeneration and jobs for the borough.”

The demolition is part of South Shields 365, a £100m masterplan to make the town centre an attractive destination for visitors every day of the year, with a new cinema and retail and leisure facilities poised to be built.

For further details of the South Shields 365 masterplan, visit www.southshields365.co.uk

The wall mural as it was:

Image hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

#36 ·
South Shields 365 - £100m revamp work begins with demolition of Wouldhave House, as at 10/04/13

Work as stated in my earlier post of 04/04/13 work is now in progress with the demolition on Wouldhave House by Owen Pugh (Contracts) and I took these photos on Wednesday 10/04/13 approx 1145 - 1200 to show state of progress at that point in time (hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

#37 ·
South Shields 365 - £100m revamp work begins with demolition of Wouldhave House, as at 17/04/13

Another week on from my last post of 10/04/13 work is progressing with the demolition on Wouldhave House by Owen Pugh (Contracts) and I took these photos on Wednesday 17/04/13 approx 1430 to show state of progress at that point in time (hosted on Photobucket)

Working on elevation fronting Market Square

KEN

#38 ·
NE business leaders back S Tyne 365 vision

Courtesy of the Shields Gazette @ http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/ne-business-leaders-back-s-tyne-365-vision-1-5598062

NE business leaders back S Tyne 365 vision

Published on 20/04/2013 15:00

OURISM is the key to closer links between businesses in South Tyneside and their neighbours in Wearside and County Durham.

That was the strategy decision made at a pioneering meeting of the North East Chamber of Commerce’s three area committees at the Stadium of Light.

South Tyneside committee chairman Peter Brumby told the meeting that businesses were backing the South Tyneside Council’s South Shields Vision 365 – which is aimed at bringing more spending into the town.

He said: “For every £100 of disposable income residents have, only £3.70 is spent in South Shields.

“With this plan, the council is very much focused on the tourism side of things.

“We are very optimistic that, provided the council can get the funding, this will attract more people, to make Shields more of a destination.”

Closer co-operation between the three chamber committee areas was seen as a good opportunity for businesses to support each other – but that still meant promoting themselves.

Read more @ http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/ne-business-leaders-back-s-tyne-365-vision-1-5598062

#39 ·
South Shields 365 - £100m revamp work begins with demolition of Wouldhave House, as at 23/04/13

Almost another week on from my last post of 17/04/13 work is progressing with the demolition on Wouldhave House by Owen Pugh (Contracts) and I took these photos on Tuesday 23/04/13 in period approx 1015 - 1045 to show state of progress at that point in time (hosted on Photobucket)

Continued working on elevation fronting Market Square

and these from the ferry

KEN

#40 ·
South Shields 365 - £100m revamp work begins with demolition of Wouldhave House, as at 26/04/13

3 days on from my last post of 23/04/13 work is progressing with the demolition on Wouldhave House by Owen Pugh (Contracts) and I took these photos on Friday 26/04/13 in period approx 1015 - 1030 to show state of progress at that point in time (hosted on Photobucket)

Continued working on elevation fronting Market Square even on busy market day

KEN