daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Completed Manchester Projects

Completed Manchester Projects Completed projects in the Greater Manchester area.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average.
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #741
Cobbydaler

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by r02bapurdie View Post
Do anyone know how much is cost to go in Football Museum at Urbis or is it Free to got in?
Quote:
Entry is free, although those wishing to take part in the seven football challenges will have to pay for a ticket.
From here...

Sponsored Links

Old July 6th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #742
Tony_H1
was Local lad

Likes (Received): 1125

Think It was mentioned, that to access the interactive exhibits you need a special card? Which is paid for. I noticed the Astroturf, Its quite realistic, and I still didn't dare walk over it.
Tony_H1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #743
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 406

Massive queue....

future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #744
Cobbydaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by future.architect View Post
Massive queue....
That's not the normal entrance (which will be through the old shop)?
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #745
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 636

If this works maybe they could astroturf Piccadilly gardens too?
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #746
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by r02bapurdie View Post
Yes they do u think Rugby players will go hurt more on astroturf then real grass.
Don't know, it's years since I played myself. always preferred a hard grassy pitch and some rain to take the edge off the hardness when I played.

If the pitch replicates that then it will be nice to play on.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #747
WatcherZero

Most modern ones are 50/50 grass/plastic not pure plastic anymore.
WatcherZero está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #748
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2190

http://vimeo.com/45258813

jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #749
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Massive queue....

http://vimeo.com/45258813

Old July 9th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #750
flange

Likes (Received): 577

Time to move this into complete section.

Quote:
It’s champion! National Football Museum Museum at Urbis is an early winner with fans

Richard Wheatstone

July 09, 2012

The National Football Museum has scored rave reviews from visitors who flocked through the turnstiles of its new Manchester home.

Thousands turned out for an early glimpse of the displays, whem it opened at Urbis in the city centre after relocating from Preston North End’s Deepdale stadium.

The £8.5m museum features more than 140,000 objects and fills the entire Urbis building, with bosses expecting more than 350,000 visitors every year.

People travelled from far and wide to see the attraction’s big kick-off and said they were not left disappointed by the experience.

Sergio Liashenka, 35, was visiting Manchester from Poland and said he felt the museum would provide a big tourism boost for the city.

He said: “I didn’t know this was here until after I arrived but it has been a real highlight for me, it was fascinating.

“There was lots of things for people of different ages as well so I think you will get a wide range of different people visiting.”

Stuart and Alison Proud, both 46, of Whalley Road, Buxton, travelled with 11-year-old son Adam. Stuart said: “It’s a great use of the building and it doesn’t seem like there’s any wasted space in there. It’s all full of terrific exhibits and interactive features. I particularly liked the football photography exhibition and I also think it will appeal to non-football fans as well.”

Michael Hughes, 48, and his son Jacob, seven, of Peel Hall Avenue, Tyldesley, Wigan, spent five hours browsing the memorabilia and said they would be coming back for more.

Michael said: “It is an absolutely fantastic attraction and we could have spent all day in there, there’s just so much variety and different things to do. What I particularly like is that it’s free to get in and then you can pay to do the interactive bits if you want. I think that will definitely attract people in through the door.”

Jacob said: “My favourite bit was the penalty shoot-out where I scored two out of three. I already want to come back again because there was so much to do. It was one of the best places I’ve been to.”

The museum, based in the former Urbis building in Cathedral Gardens, was due to open last autumn but the opening was hit by a series of delays.

It features famous memorabilia including a shirt from the world’s first international match in 1872, the 1966 World Cup Final ball and the Jules Rimet trophy – the original World Cup –which Brazil were given after winning it three times. Electronic features, including an interactive penalty shoot-out game and other skill-based competitions, have been added to the exhibition since its move from Preston.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...nner-with-fans
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #751
Cobbydaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleontel View Post
True, but surely they can come up with something better than this. It looks absolutely shite!!!
Agreed
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #752
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 87

Great to see so much colour around today: between us, @DigtheCity & the sunshine, Cathedral Gardens is looking good! http://t.co/vzLm8Ga7 -- NationalFootballMus (@footballmuseum)
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:55 PM   #753
Chaddy

Likes (Received): 0

Almost reached 100'000 visitors, more than Preston got in a full year.
Chaddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM   #754
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddy View Post
Almost reached 100'000 visitors, more than Preston got in a full year.
And the football season has only just started.

Not to mention both Manchester clubs being in the CL.

MEN.

Quote:
National Football Museum welcomes 100,000th visitor just six weeks after opening

Mike Keegan

August 21, 2012

The National Football Museum in Manchester has attracted more visitors in six weeks than it did in a whole year at its previous home in Preston.

Officials have revealed that they were set to welcome their 100,000th visitor today.

They are hoping to attract 350,000 punters to the £8.5m venue in its first year and say the figures show they are on target.

The museum switched to Manchester in a controversial move from its former home at Preston North End’s Deepdale ground.

Those in favour of the transfer believed it would increase visitor numbers. And their prediction appears to have come true – with the same number already visiting the site as did in a year at the Lancashire venue.

Museum director Kevin Moore said he was ‘absolutely delighted’ with the figures and added that he felt they provided vindication for the switch.

He explained: "Reaching 100,000 has happened far quicker than we had anticipated and validates all the reasons we gave for moving the museum to Manchester in the first place.

"Manchester is possibly the UK’s biggest footballing city with millions of fans as well as other tourists visiting every year."
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:12 AM   #755
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Massive queue....

Ah astro turf. Ah if that remains that should cheer the mozzers, scene kids and will fit perfectly with the Medieval quarter.

"Aye Sire, ye olde astronautical turfe has be gladdened ye merrie folk of ye old Ancoates, who with ball and foote hast cometh to challenge ye bands of devotees to the Holy Orders of the Bullet for ye Valentine."

But astro turf, I once played round ball football on Oldham Athletics pitch as a kid and by keepers,
you soon learn that Javi Navarro style 5 yard sliding tackles with elbow rising was a tragic no no unless you wish to visit a plastic surgeon.

As for rugby pitches. Erm.
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #756
jrb
10th February 2008

Oh well.

Whoever decided to move the National Fooball Museum to Manchester needs shooting. It should have been done years earlier.

Manchester Confidential.

Quote:
National Football Museum Cracks 250,000 Visitors

Manchester's successful new museum forges ahead

Published yesterday morning at 12:27 PM.

THE National Football Museum has received its 250,000 guest.

The feedback from visitors has been absolutely fantastic. People really seem to be able to relate to the stories we are telling here.

The museum, which opened in Manchester on 6 July 2012, welcomed its 100,000th visitor six weeks after it opened. The latest figures mean the museum should easily exceed the first year target of 350,000 guests.

Museum director Kevin Moore said: “We are absolutely delighted to have hit the 250,000 visitor mark in just six months.

“We are way ahead of where we predicted we would be at this stage in the new National Football Museum’s life. If we carry on in the second half of the first year as we have been doing we’ll record half a million visitors before our first anniversary is upon us.

“Manchester is possibly the UK’s biggest footballing city with millions of football fans as well as other tourists visiting every year. The National Football Museum is positively reaping the reward of that footballing passion.

“The feedback from visitors has been absolutely fantastic. People really seem to be able to relate to the stories we are telling here. Everyone who has come through the door has been hugely complimentary of the museum and we are very proud of what we have on offer”

The new museum was launched as a new national and international visitor destination, and has taken over the whole of the city’s Urbis building.

It was launched as a 'world-class home for the greatest collection of football memorabilia ever assembled'.
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #757
Cobbydaler

And killed Urbis, whose unique contribution to urban culture (despite the council's assurances) has not been replaced..
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #758
madferret

The real test will come in the next couple of years. The story telling in the museum is well presented but will people want to come back? I'm not sure I will, unless I'm nearby and have an hour to kill. That was the problem with Urbis, nice concept but something of a 'one visit' destination.
madferret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #759
Dirty Tom Nomads MC

Likes (Received): 8

Great to see the Football Museum doing so well! Just a shame it came at the detriment of Urbis. I think I would still have stuck it in a new building at Sportcity and kept Urbis as it was.
Dirty Tom Nomads MC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #760
guy debord

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Tom Nomads MC View Post
Great to see the Football Museum doing so well! Just a shame it came at the detriment of Urbis. I think I would still have stuck it in a new building at Sportcity and kept Urbis as it was.
Urbis was shit. It's just that no-one will admit it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: