daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old January 25th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #1
js1000

Likes (Received): 576

Barnes Hospital | Cheadle

Can anyone shed any light on this building? Next to the A34/M56 between Didsbury/Gatley/Cheadle.

Been derelict for over 10 years despite being Grade II listed. I'm fed up of driving past the unloved thing. I think its quite bright architecturally - like a monastery.

I heard Fred Done bought it last year with a view to redevelopment from Realty Estates but nothing has been muttered since.

JohnnyLeigh liked this post
js1000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #2
ScouseinManc
Violently happy

Likes (Received): 41

This place fascinates me.
There's tons of stuff about Barnes on the web.
Yes, there were plans to create 50+ apartments, but so far nothing.
I just hope it doesn't get left to a state, where there will be no option but to demolish it, for H&S reasons (which is what a lot of developers tend to do & something which really hacks me off!!).
My guess is though that demolition will happen, that's the cynic in me...
ScouseinManc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #3
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 263

Spent an unhappy few weeks visiting Barnes in the mid 90's when my wife's Gran was in there. Its not really the best spot for residential buildings given that it is tightly and entirely circled by motorway and motorway sliproads...
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #4
js1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
Spent an unhappy few weeks visiting Barnes in the mid 90's when my wife's Gran was in there. Its not really the best spot for residential buildings given that it is tightly and entirely circled by motorway and motorway sliproads...
I always envisaged it to be a possible office/hotel development considering its proximity between Cheshire, Manchester and the airport. Would look a lovely building lit up night from the A34/slip roads/M56 as it lies on a mount.
Old January 26th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #5
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 65

Even though its surrounded by roads...the actual road access it pretty awkward

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #6
CHAPS2034
Chris W

Likes (Received): 118

Just found an article in the current Stockport Times West (24/01/2013) about the Barnes Site but I can't find a link electronically.

It refers to a public consultation for local residents held in Cheadle Village Hall (but doesn't say when) by the developers. Some extracts below

"Now developers Eden House Estates has reveled plans to restore the hospital building - turning it into about 80 small apartments -as well as creating a range of one and two bedroom apartments and three and four bedroom houses within the grounds."

"A public consultation..... also outlined plans for a football pitch and a pond with vehicle access from Kingsway".

The site "is now owned by Fred Done of Betfred who bought the 12 acre site for £3.5m".

"No planning application has been submitted yet but one is expected this spring".

I expect the road access for all this will be of great interest to the local planners!

Like Steve, I also spent a few unhappy weeks there as a youngster visiting my dad before he died in 1961, so it will be great to see it in use again.

Cheers
CHAPS2034 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #7
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 233

I worked on a proposal to convert this in to residential and some element of new build - quite a few years ago... 10 maybe. Finance, access and general market interest even in the boom years was a problem for this. I agree with an earlier post that it would be a perfect HQ for a large company, and if not a great location for start ups. I also understand that it was going to be hugely expensive to convert and demolish due to the nature of the build and the layout.
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Even though its surrounded by roads...the actual road access it pretty awkward
There's a road under the A34 that leads to the housing estate on the other side. Probably why residential is more likely than any commercial use.
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #9
js1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew View Post
There's a road under the A34 that leads to the housing estate on the other side. Probably why residential is more likely than any commercial use.
Yes, if anyone from south Manchester (or Barnes Hospital also) wants to get on the M60 clockwise, the only way to do so is to turn off the A34, go under the A34 to get to the other side of carriageway to do a u-turn onto the M60. You can see the road at the top of the image which was posted.

Technically your not allowed and the residents don't like it. On the other hand, its a problem which should have been sorted out years ago.
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #10
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Technically.... I think you'll find there are Access Only signs so you breaking the law
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #11
js1000

Quote:
Technically.... I think you'll find there are Access Only signs so you breaking the law
Think you will find I said that you are not allowed in my previous post if you read it.

And do you really think the police have enough time these days to fine drivers for cutting through places they shouldn't?
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #12
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

they seem to and in the past they have, I know people who got caught
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #13
js1000

Quote:
they seem to and in the past they have, I know people who got caught
Well, they should have better things to do with their time like solving murders. Read recently GMP have a massive backlog of work.
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Shrimper

Likes (Received): 76

Traffic police don't tend to get involved in murders.
Shrimper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #15
js1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Traffic police don't tend to get involved in murders.
Police resources then. Watch Traffic Cops, how many of them are involved with criminals rather than just driving offences? Even the officers on the show admit they are now drafted in to tackle criminals.

Last edited by js1000; January 28th, 2013 at 04:56 AM.
js1000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #16
LongRipple

Likes (Received): 285

Wikipedia suggests it is now owned by four local businessmen who hope to commence work on a residential project in 2013.

The large collection of low rise, newer buildings on DiscoSteve’s aerial shot have been removed- looking at GoogleEarth (dated 2009).

It could be a great Hotel and Conference Centre given its location and connectivity- could squeeze a driving range on the site perhaps?

From a residential perspective the proximity to all those roads could be off-putting for families especially with the (potentially) high nitrous oxide levels and noise.

The very similar asylum buildings at Standen Park in Lancaster redeveloped parts of the old Lancaster Moor Hospital site, retaining Grade II Listed chapels and halls whilst adding new build around with great success; albeit in a far more picturesque location. The next phase of the actual main hospital building is due to begin shortly (which is similar to Barnes Hospital) thanks to government funding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20205939
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #17
js1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRipple View Post
Wikipedia suggests it is now owned by four local businessmen who hope to commence work on a residential project in 2013.

The large collection of low rise, newer buildings on DiscoSteve’s aerial shot have been removed- looking at GoogleEarth (dated 2009).

It could be a great Hotel and Conference Centre given its location and connectivity- could squeeze a driving range on the site perhaps?

From a residential perspective the proximity to all those roads could be off-putting for families especially with the (potentially) high nitrous oxide levels and noise.

The very similar asylum buildings at Standen Park in Lancaster redeveloped parts of the old Lancaster Moor Hospital site, retaining Grade II Listed chapels and halls whilst adding new build around with great success; albeit in a far more picturesque location. The next phase of the actual main hospital building is due to begin shortly (which is similar to Barnes Hospital) thanks to government funding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20205939
I've always thought it would make a good office/hotel development myself considering its proximity to the road network, airport and Cheshire folk.

You look at the Shirley Institute (The Towers) in Didsbury, old building successfully renovated. As you say, I can't imagine families wanting to live there. A real shame to see it decay for a decade to be honest.
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #18
LongRipple

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
'Manhattan-loft' apartment plan for former Barnes Hospital

An artist's impression of how the development at the former Barnes Hospital will look

A total of 300 homes could be built on the site of a former hospital.

The planning application is the 17th received for the old Barnes Hospital on Kingsway in Cheadle since 2000.

The main hospital building, an imposing Gothic Grade II-listed building, which has stood neglected since it closed in 1999, will be converted into 78 ‘Manhattan loft’ style studio apartments as part of the Barnes Village plans.

Proposals for the eight-hectare site also include three new apartment blocks containing 100 units, 63 semi-detached and terraced houses and 59 two-bed apartments.

Playing fields, woodland, a wildlife pond, play facilities and a 474-space car park will complete the huge development. A quarter of the homes will be set aside for affordable housing.

Four businessmen took over ownership of the site in March 2012 and developers Eden House consulted residents over the plans when concerns were raised over parking and traffic issues.

The hospital is circled by the M60 and A34. Access to the site would be via Kingsway while a pedestrian footbridge to the south east of the site over the M60 sliproad will give access to Cheadle village.

The planning statement says: “Barnes Village will be a place of distinctive characters inspired by the Barnes Hospital. A high quality, high density housing scheme that is both deliverable and sustainable in today’s market place.”

The hospital was built in 1875 by Robert Barnes. It operated throughout the wars, caring for injured soldiers, and patients with tuberculosis and yellow fever.

The hospital was later used for older patients and stroke sufferers and closed its doors after cuts to local healthcare budgets.

Following its closure it temporarily housed a large group of refugees from Kosovo, appeared on the TV programme Most Haunted Live and was briefly occupied by travellers in 2007.

It has been plagued by vandalism and is one of five north west buildings on the Heritage at Risk register.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....barnes-2998123

VDB liked this post
LongRipple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #19
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2447

Pass it every day to and from work. Bout bloody time it was redeveloped. Been standing like that for long enough. Should sell well.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #20
js1000

Housing plan approved over the past few weeks.

Quote:
Barnes Hospital development approved

Stockport’s Planning and Highways committee has voted to grant the planning permission which will save Cheadle’s iconic Barnes Hospital for the future.

The building has been falling into disrepair and may soon have been beyond recovery. This plan sees the hospital converted into flats, with more houses and flats built on the site around it as “enabling development” – to make the project stack up financially.

Included in the development is improving the paths from Barnes Hospital to Cheadle (underway at the moment) and also adding cycle parking at Gatley Station. Cars will enter and leave the Barnes site directly onto Kingsway at the current entrance, north of the Gatley lights.

As ever, no development is perfect and more houses mean more traffic. It will also mean more trade for local shops, more construction jobs and more much-needed local homes and I’m strongly of the view that this is good for Cheadle and Gatley on balance.

Planning application isn’t the same as building, so now we need the developers to get to work on site and save Barnes Hospital.

http://iainroberts.mycouncillor.org....ment-approved/
Quote:
Stockport approves 300-home plan for Barnes Hospital

7th August 2013

By James Graham - Deputy Editor, North West

A PLAN to build 300 houses and apartments at the derelict Barnes Hospital in Cheadle has been approved, but could be called in by communities secretary Eric Pickles.

Manchester-based Edenhouse Estates has applied to convert the grade II-listed former convalescence home, which closed in 1999, into 78 apartments and build a further 100 flats in three blocks to the north.

There would also be 63 homes to the east and south and 59 apartments in two blocks to the south west of the main building which sits between the M60, the A34 and two slip roads.

A council spokesperson said: “The council’s Planning and Highways Committee recommended that planning permission and listed building consent should be approved subject to an appropriate legal agreement. As this application is a departure from the development plan the application will be referred to the Secretary of State to consider whether it is necessary to ‘call-in’ the decision.”

Edenhouse Estates was founded in 2006 by Nick Carter, Kevin Pickersgill and Gareth Jones. It is understood to have acquired the 17-acre site last year.

Busineesdesk.com
Just a bit worried that that useless fat bastard Pickles will call it in and stop development.