daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1281
delores

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
If you want to blame someone you should blame the Brothers Candy for convincing the Qataris to pay so much for the site, and then you should blame the Qataris for just sitting on the empty land waiting for its value to rise. Those are the two principle wrongs in this fiasco.
I couldn't agree more, the site was ridiculously overvalued.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1282
menganito

Likes (Received): 13

1 billion for the land, 400 apartments. that is 2.5 million per apartment before talking about construction costs, professional fees, 106 agreements and legitimate enterprise profit. I think Charles has done a great job to leave this piece of land empty for decades and to cut the council short of 200 affordable flats that could have been in use by nurses, policemen, teachers or firefighters by now. The residents should be proud.

With Richard Rogers project the numbers added up. That is not the case now. Candy brothers have demonstrated that time and again.
menganito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #1283
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 369

Childish and pointless provocations from menganito as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Not sure why you seem so sure on that.
I'm sure because it would be impossible to develop and sell these flats profitably, because they paid so much for the site. I also have a friend who works with Chris Candy and I've had this conversation with him. Sitting on the land and waiting for the market to pick up is the best investment for the Qataris, and that's the only reason nothing is going on.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #1284
menganito

I will not call you names, because that would be an example of "childish and pointless" provocation. I leave that to you.
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:13 AM   #1285
Loathing
BANNED

I was describing your actions accurately, not calling you names. And despite your little word-games, you did provoke me first (as always). So don't expect me to sit idly whilst you piss all over that which I just spent three posts explaining.

Last edited by Loathing; January 31st, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1286
menganito

I did provoke "you"? (!)

After such assertion, if I call "you" effing mental it will be just a description of your paranoia.

Sorry but you were not in my radar until you started calling me names and pointing at my comments with yellow arrows.

"Expect me to sit pretty" (!!!) Did anyone ever had any expectations placed on you? Definitely not me.

Now please, as ever, leave me alone. Remember your words regarding my opinions.
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:37 AM   #1287
Loathing
BANNED

Such a liar. Grow up.
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:43 AM   #1288
hugh

Likes (Received): 380

Some might contend that Charles had no business trying to influence the planning of the project in any way whatsoever. The fact that the Rogers' design as presented was reasonably good (although I would argue it was perhaps too self effacing) - and the site might well end up with some lowest common denominator architecture - is all the more galling.
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:50 AM   #1289
menganito

Loathing,

Paranoia is a terrible thing. For that reason alone I forgive your latest and previous insults. Take care.

I will also give you a clue: If I were talking to you I would mention your name or quote your message or point at it with yellow arrows.

---------

Back to the matter, what a mess Charles has made! but the Qatari royals have it all well deserved for paying respect to such ignorance.
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:59 AM   #1290
Loathing
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Some might contend that Charles had no business trying to influence the planning of the project in any way whatsoever. The fact that the Rogers' design as presented was reasonably good (although I would argue it was perhaps too self effacing) - and the site might well end up with some lowest common denominator architecture - is all the more galling.
That's true. I'm in two minds about what I would actually like to see for this site. I'd like to see something that is actually worth going out of your way to visit. Considering the value of this project is more than the whole bloody Shard complex. It's seems like a great opportunity for a really groundbreaking low-/mid-rise "quarter" of unmatched beauty. We shall see.

Last edited by Loathing; February 4th, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1291
Loathing
BANNED

Qataris pledge to start work on Chelsea Barracks plan

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...n-8479755.html

Quote:
The developers of Chelsea Barracks have insisted that the £3 billion apartments plan will go ahead.

Westminster council chiefs last week urged the site’s owners Qatari Diar to “start or sell” after it emerged that no work had been done since outline planning permission was granted 18 months ago.

But the Standard has learned that Jeremy Titchen, Qatari Diar’s UK managing director, has offered reassurance to the Tory-run authority that they will “progress the scheme”.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #1292
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 13731

Work underway on Chelsea Barracks project, says Diar
Gulf Times
25 April 2013
Quote:
Qatari Diar acting chief executive officer Khalid el-Sayyed has confirmed works are underway on the ambitious Chelsea Barracks project in London.

In an exclusive interview with Qatar News Agency (QNA) yesterday el-Sayyed said Qatari Diar, the property investment arm of the country’s sovereign wealth fund, is waiting for concluding the official approvals for going ahead with the project, noting that Qatari Diar should first get the approval of the neighbours of Chelsea Barracks to kick-start the operations.

While reviewing the company’s projects at a workshop for “business leaders” on the second day of the 8th World Chambers Congress here, el-Sayyed said the company has already got the approval of 30% of the neighbours. The master plan for Chelsea Barracks merges this old military site in Chelsea with the surrounding Belgravia neighbourhood through a modern and vivid residential development, consisting of houses with additional apartment buildings, local shops and community facilities; all spanning over a 52,000sq m site.

[continued in link]

-

Loathing, Vnofd5 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1293
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 58

Are they underway? They don't seem to be.
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1294
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 129

Do we have any renders if what's currently being built here then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
You do realise we ban trolls, right?
AUTOTHRILL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1295
Loathing
BANNED

There are no renders: the developers haven't submitted anything yet; they're sitting on the land.
Old September 7th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #1296
Kanio

Likes (Received): 800

Well, I support Prince Charles in his attempt to restore traditional architecture. Was the classical proposition meanwhile rejected?

Greetings from a city that was massacred by the modernists like any other on the continent
Old September 7th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #1297
Loathing
BANNED

Well I think the Germans and the Russians massacred Warsaw before the Modernists had a chance!

The neoclassical proposal wasn't rejected because the developers never submitted it. They are waiting for now because they can't sell the land.

AUTOTHRILL liked this post
Old September 7th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #1298
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 775

The building in Warsaw most people hate can hardly be called modernist. The Palace of Culture is arguably one of the first examples of post-modernism. Most Soviet modernists had been driven out in the 1930s, many emigrated to Europe. For instance Berthold Lubetkin who designed Bevin Court and the London Zoo Penguin Pool.

Poundberry, Charles' pet project, was mentioned today by the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23956650 - I was one of the tiny minority who prefers post-war, I'd love to live in a truly modernist block like the Trellick Tower - it's just become a little too unaffordable given Brutalism is somewhat in fashion among certain groups.
Retro Specs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #1299
Kanio

Likes (Received): 800

Actually, young Poles usually like Palace of Culture and other stalinist architecture. What I really dislike is this:

And probably the most detested building in the city nowadays is a new office house by Sir Normann Foster, architectonically correct, but totally out of context:

Last edited by Kanio; September 10th, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Kanio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1300
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1076

Sorry I don't see how it's out of place.
'The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.'
- Heraclitus
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: