daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:39 PM   #121
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2507

Gone in. No docs yet.

Quote:
Reference: 12/62564/FUL
Alternative Reference:
Application Received: 15 Nov 2012
Address: Riverside House 1 St Simon Street Salford M3 7ET
Proposal: Erection of student accommodation comprising 242 bedrooms with ancillary accommodation including 15 car parking spaces together with associated creation of new vehicular access and alterations to existing vehicular access and landscaping. Variation of condition 1 Approved plans

http://publicaccess.salford.gov.uk/p...=MDKVPVNP00B00
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM   #122
GShutty

Likes (Received): 449

Sorry, I origianlly put these in the Manchester University (wrong) thread:

Former Whitworth pub and adjacent student accommodation; located on Moss Lane east, opposite Whitworth Park

Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM   #123
guy debord

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nq View Post
Looks like an appeal has been initiated for Manor Property's Manor Point due to the lack of a decision. Also showing a committee date for next month?

095082/FO/2010/S1
That big window is angled perfectly to take the full force of one of my clearances. I hope it's reinforced.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:49 PM   #124
guy debord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Yeah a real shame.

God I hate NIMBYs. If they hate development, noise and busyness; why don't they go live in the suburbs or countryside?!?!?!

These looked like decent developments
These are both complete tat. It could be argued that If you're so desperate to live in a city bigger than the one you live in, it's you that should move instead of cheerleading for garbage to be thrown up anywhere an avaricious developer sees fit.

People have to live next to these, people are buying the flats overlooking them and bringing up their children in the area. If they don't like them maybe you should consider their opinions instead of labelling them NIMBY's, after all you have no investment in the area and I don't suppose you've considered that moving from a flat in the city to the suburbs or the countryside is often not a matter of simple choice.

Last edited by guy debord; November 23rd, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
guy debord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM   #125
VDB

Likes (Received): 2149

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy debord View Post
These are both complete tat. It could be argued that If you're so desperate to live in a city bigger than the one you live init's you that should move instead of cheerleading for garbage to be thrown up anywhere an avaricious developer sees fit.

People have to live next to these, people are buying the flats overlooking them and bringing up their children in the area. If they don't like them maybe you should consider their opinions instead of labelling them NIMBY's, after all you have no investment in the area.
This is a really old post of mine, but NIMBYs exist in London too..

"Eurrgh I hate noise, I hate construction, eurrgh why are they building stuff?! I moved to the city for peace and quiet, not construction!!".
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:06 PM   #126
guy debord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
This is a really old post of mine, but NIMBYs exist in London too..

"Eurrgh I hate noise, I hate construction, eurrgh why are they building stuff?! I moved to the city for peace and quiet, not construction!!".
Has it never occurred to you to wonder why?
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #127
jrb
10th February 2008

Planning » Planning Application Documents

Quote:
101075/MO/2012/S1 | Reserved Matters application (access, appearance, layout and scale) for the erection of 73 four storey townhouses (comprising of 876 student bedrooms) and a six storey block of 37 flats (comprising of 295student bedrooms) with ancillary office accommodation, three retail units and laundry facilities on the ground floor, following granting of Outline approval granted under application 095557FO/2011/S1 | Land Adjacent To Stretford Road, Old Birley Street, Princess Road, Bonsall Street Hulme Manchester M15

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...075/MO/2012/S1

Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM   #128
nq

Manor Property's appeal for the Coupland St prop was dismissed, permission refused.

http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk...=/DECISION.pdf

Quote:
The inquiry was conducted in the absence of any representation on behalf of the Appellant due to the non-appearance of his representative and witness, and his own failure to attend.
nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:05 PM   #129
Farsight

Likes (Received): 141

That was an interesting read. Nq, you are a veritable font of information, thanks. The inspector Elizabeth C Ord was clearly not impressed by a non-show incommunicado appellant. This bit at the bottom of page 5 caught my eye:

"32. On the basis of this evidence I accept that there has been a substantial drop in student numbers since 2010 and that a consequence of this is a reduced demand for purpose built student accommodation. Therefore, I accept the Council’s position that demand is more likely to be at the lower end of the range identified in the 2010 document, which is in the order of 1,700 bedspaces.

33. Such a demand would readily be met by the pipeline supply of 3,169 bedspaces. Even taking Mr Mitchell’s reduced supply figure of 2,473, there would still be sufficient supply to satisfy demand. Consequently, on a quantitative basis, there is no need for the proposed development."

No new student residential towers then. Sigh.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #130
VDB

Likes (Received): 2149

Here's Manchester's share;

http://www.mpg7.com/student6.php

Quote:
Lend Lease lands £240m deal for student accommodation
Grant Prior | Tue 29th January | 9:03

Lend Lease has signed a deal with developer Manor Property Group to design and construct up to 40,000 student accommodation units at 70 locations across England and Scotland.

The work will be delivered by Lend Lease’s project management and construction business with the first five locations to commence in 2013.

The first five projects will contain a total of 3,500 units and have a combined contract value of £240m.

Work will get under way at sites in the university cities of Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Hull, with completion expected in 2015.

Manor Property Group and Lend Lease then plan to deliver additional sites comprising 36,500 units across the United Kingdom.

Lend Lease Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, Steve McCann, said “We are very pleased to have secured this agreement with Manor Property Group, which leverages the core capability of Lend Lease’s project management and construction business in the UK student accommodation sector, and adds to our construction work.

“We will continue to deliver third party work alongside our significant UK development pipeline.”

Lend Lease has previously partnered with the University of Sheffield to deliver student accommodation totalling 4,000 beds through a combination of new build and refurbishment.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...modation-deal/
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #131
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 668

They were refused planning permission for their Manchester building weren't they?
Cherguevara está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #132
nq

They're now seeking a judicial review, after that appeal failed.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....bought-1254123

'already identified two alternative sites in Manchester in case the Coupland Street project falls through.'

Their Salford scheme seems to be stalled in planning, submitted 2 years ago, surprised they haven't appealed that one as well.
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:04 PM   #133
nq

Another report on student housing from the council. Prompted by the recent refusals/appeals?

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_do...ing_market.pdf

With the 359 rooms proposed at First St South, and 279 'serviced apartments' for students at Vita (no mention) wonder how they would approach an app from Manor at Cambridge St. They seem to be defining those props as being a niche in demand, "high-spec accommodation aimed in particular at the international student market", "demand remains for a quality product, particularly for international students at key regeneration sites in the City and City fringe areas".

Included in the report,
Quote:
The two plans below illustrate the change in student household exemptions between 2008 and 2012. It is clear that the pattern has moved up toward the City centre along with a narrowing of the market in key neighbourhoods in the south.

jrb liked this post
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:34 PM   #134
nq

Here's one in Salford at committee next week (Hotel La Tour not on the agenda). Since an appeal has already been lodged the council can't decide it, however conclude they would recommend refusal, citing no demonstrated demand.

Over the river from Salford Uni's proposed accommodation expansion.
Quote:
12/61928/OUT | Outline planning application with all matters reserved for the erection of a 3/4 storey building consisting of 159 units for student accommodation together with ancillary facilities re-sub of 11/60561/OUT
Originally refused for 496 units last year, resubmitted this with 159 rooms. Only outline, but these were a couple of the 'renders' they supplied with the app...

Subsequently amended to:

Old January 31st, 2013, 04:59 PM   #135
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Another report on student housing from the council. Prompted by the recent refusals/appeals?

With the 359 rooms proposed at First St South, and 279 'serviced apartments' for students at Vita (no mention) wonder how they would approach an app from Manor at Cambridge St. They seem to be defining those props as being a niche in demand, "high-spec accommodation aimed in particular at the international student market", "demand remains for a quality product, particularly for international students at key regeneration sites in the City and City fringe areas".

Included in the report,

Really interesting that, so there's been a migration from Withington to Hulme and Victoria Park by the looks of it.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:01 PM   #136
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:

Included in the report,

I like that.

Very interesting.

Thanks NQ.

At last, the Wildebeest are migrating North. The Southern plains will once again return to there unspoilt and natural beauty.

hulmeman2 liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:33 AM   #137
nq

Ducie Court on Denmark Rd, next to Whitworth Park.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM   #138
Slow Burn
Consumed

Likes (Received): 942

Doesn't look great does it, but it's something. Only a few years ago the park had derelict buildings and wasteland on pretty much all sides. Now there's properties in all these places. Pretty dense too
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:53 PM   #139
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 722

Jrb's posted a similar piece on the Manchester Economy thread, I though the MEN story could be put here too:

Opal Property Group in Administration:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....g-part-1763423
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:00 PM   #140
TamaSuperstar
Ben

Likes (Received): 45

I always wonder how a company like Opal can crash into administration like that, they have so many properties and the student market seems rock solid. They must have been very careless with their finances.
TamaSuperstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote