daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #121
pakboy
London is London

Likes (Received): 1832

A separate thread for a Sainsbury's, lolzzzzzzzz

Tescos and Asda fans will go hyper.

Sponsored Links

Old January 13th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #122
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 56

Latest news on Wandsworth Town:

More good news for Wandsworth Town Centre Debenhams have agreed to move to Southside Shopping Centre and take a 3 floor unit in the planned redevelopment of Arndale Walk. Although not expected to open until 2015 this is the latest in a long list of good news stories for Wandsworth Town Centre and will be a significant addition to the existing comprehensive offer in Southside. The planned Arndale Walk redevelopment is expected to cost circa £40m, and will create 100,000 Sq. ft. of new retail space.

In the meantime the current phase of the Southside Development opposite Sainsburys should be completed early in 2013. Three restaurants Cattle Grid, Wagamama, and Roso Pomodoro have committed to open in this development by about the end of March 2013 and Southside management is in advanced negotiations with other major names. Southside is fast developing a reputation as a leading retail and leisure destination for South West London.

Redevelopment work continues at Sainsburys towards the new 2-5 storey extension to extend existing store by approx 5500 sq.m., and to provide an additional retail unit (approx 1800 sq.m.). Completing the scheme will be a 120 bed hotel with a bar and restaurant, a learning centre unit, a shopmobility unit and a coffee shop. There will also be a single-storey car deck above the retained car parking area, to be accessed by a ramp, creating a further 38 spaces. There will be alterations to the Garratt Lane frontage to provide a servicing area, landscaping, public realm and highway works, including replacement trees.

All of this is part of the ongoing £1bn regeneration of Wandsworth Town. This scale of investment continues to bring new retail, leisure, residential, employment and educational opportunities to the town.

Meantime the Mount Anvil development along Buckhold Road continues and will include the erection of 5 to16 storey buildings to provide 207 flats and 1010sq. m. of commercial space including shops, community uses, offices, bars and restaurants.

These developments are a further indication of Wandsworth Town's growing popularity and follow on from the recent go-ahead for the redevelopment of the long-vacant Lyon House office block in Wandsworth High Street - which will make way for 41 flats (37% affordable) and new retail space.
Minerva PLC has submitted a revised planning application in respect of the Young's Brewery site proposing 669 new homes including a 35 storey residential tower, 9,506 Sq. m. of shops, cafes, bars and restaurants, and restoration of the heritage buildings including the Brewery Museum and stable block, and the creation of a micro brewery. The Wandle waterfront will be enhanced featuring an improved habitat for wildlife, new bridges, footpath links and new terraced areas set back from the river.

The Town Centre hosted a range of activities on Saturday 1 December including a formal switching on ceremony of the Christmas tree lights and High Street lights by the Mayor of Wandsworth.
The centre of Southfields also benefited from new Christmas lights for the first time, under a 3 year sponsorship arrangement with The All England Lawn Tennis Club.

For more information about Wandsworth Town Centre, please contact John Ruske, Wandsworth Town Centre and Business Support Manager, Tel (020) 8871 7031 or email jruske@wandsworth.gov.uk .

From here:
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/10...pen4business/4
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:31 PM   #123
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Regeneration scheme at former depot

Release date: Thursday 24th January 13
Comment on this article

A leading housing association is to build 139 new homes on the site of a former council depot and coach and lorry park near Wandsworth roundabout.

L&Q will soon commence work on building these new homes on the site of the vacant depot in Eltringham Street after purchasing the land from the council.

The new properties will suit a range of incomes including local first time buyers on low to middle incomes who are registered with the council's home ownership team.

Planning permission is already in place so people should be able to start moving in by the early part of 2015.

The housing association's land and projects director Andy Rowland said: "L&Q will build high-quality homes for people on a range of incomes, bringing new life to a disused site and creating a welcome addition to the local community."

Wandsworth's cabinet member for housing Cllr Paul Ellis added: "This will breathe new life into a classic brownfield site and act as a strong catalyst for regeneration in the area.

"I am looking forward to these new homes being built on this vacant former depot. This is good news for local families who need places to live, good news for jobs in the construction sector and good news for the wider local economy."

The site had been used for around 30 years to provide parking for the council's fleet of school buses and coaches and also for some of the larger vehicles used by the borough's operational services team. These vehicles have moved to another council-owned site in Dormay Street.

L&Q is also building 17 new affordable homes for rent on another site in nearby York Road that they have acquired in the same purchase deal with the council.

By linking these two central Wandsworth sites, the council and L&Q are creating 158 homes for people on a range of incomes, including homes sold on a shared ownership basis, homes available for affordable rent and homes that are available for outright sale.

L&Q is one of the largest residential developers in London and builds high-quality homes to suit a range of incomes, including homes for rent, shared ownership and outright sale. It owns and manages 70,000 homes across London and the south east.

People interested in affordable home ownership opportunities in Wandsworth can find out more at www.wandsworth.gov.uk/homeownership or they can contact the home ownership team by calling (020) 8871 6016 or emailing housesales@wandsworth.gov.uk.

By: Charlie Masson Smith
Telephone 020 8871 6173 or Email: cmassons@wandsworth.gov.uk

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/ar...4SGYHN,49B6B,1
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:44 PM   #124
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

More regeneration work for town centre

Further work is about to take place which will improve the appearance of Wandsworth town centre and aid access for pedestrians around Southside Shopping Centre.

Wandsworth Council is about to begin laying a new pavement along the western side of Garratt Lane, which runs next to the new Southside development.
The improvements to the footway will run between the access road into the Arndale Estate and Mapleton Crescent - improving access for visitors to the popular centre.

The work will start this month and is expected to be completed in March - with pedestrian access being maintained at all times.

The work coincides with Southside's £40m phase of redevelopment opposite Sainsbury's, which is due to be handed over for fitting out shortly. Two new restaurants - Rossopomodoro and Wagamama - are due to open there in April 2013 and negotiations are going forward with potential new stores.

The next phase of the redevelopment will include the demolition of Arndale House and Arndale Walk commencing late 2013. It will comprise 100,000 sq ft of new retail space and Debenhams will occupy the majority of this with a new department store over three floors.

It will have entrances on Garratt Lane and from the North Mall inside the centre - and will open in 2015. There will be five other retail units and a larger leisure unit on the second floor. The existing building frontages at the junction of Garratt Lane and Wandsworth High Street will also be enhanced.

In recent years, Wandsworth has seen the opening of a new town centre library, the conversion of the shopping centre into the thriving Southside complex plus a host of redevelopments in Hardwick's Way, Smuggler's Way, Buckhold Road, South Thames College and overlooking King George's Park.

At the same time the council is working to ensure the ongoing £1bn regeneration of Wandsworth Town includes a reconfiguration of the one-way system.
The authority believes that switching part of the gyratory back to two-way working would relieve pressure on the high street and help it flourish.
ENDS

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/ar...or_town_centre
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:41 AM   #125
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 1697

Some pics from the other week, when it snowed.

I wasn't really sure what it was, I sure saw a new core pop up over the park a while ago and finally went to check it out, LDN_EUROPE has helpfully informed me that this is the Osiers Road development http://www.barratthomes.co.uk/new-ho...359501-Osiers/

quite an impact on the local "skyline"! -

image hosted on flickr

Snowy Wandsworth Park by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Wandsworth construction by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • LondonVallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkney
My website

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:17 AM   #126
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Putney Town Centre Spring Update

Town Centre improvements

The Exchange Shopping Centre is shortly to be redeveloped along Putney High Street, increasing retail space by at least 3,700 square feet and introducing a brand new H&M store to Putney. Works will begin in February and end in November 2013. Extra retail space, improved layout, 45 extra car parking spaces and a stronger retail offer will all help to make Putney an even better place to shop for clothing, accessories and household items.

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/20...pen4business/6
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #127
stevekeiretsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDN_EUROPE View Post
Town Centre improvements

The Exchange Shopping Centre is shortly to be redeveloped along Putney High Street

Works will begin in February and end in November 2013.

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/20...pen4business/6
Thought I would get a "before" shot of this - will return for progress shots.

image hosted on flickr

Putney Exchange - before development by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Round up of other construction (sites) in Putney

77 - 83 Upper Richmond Road and Carlton Court, 26 Carlton Drive aka Langham Square

Planning docs
Developer's site has these renders:

Here are a few DSLR pics from today, I have also been taking a timelapse on an old point and shoot from a neighbouring fourth story window since Apr 2012.

image hosted on flickr

Langham Sq u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

There are a couple more projects coming up along the Upper Richmond Road. General overview:

image hosted on flickr

Upper Richmond Road looking west - "before" by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Upper Richmond Road looking east - "before" by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

The sheeted building there is 131-133 Upper Richmond Road.

Planning docs - the "renders" in there are scribbled with a blunt charcoal twig onto a napkin. not sure if anyone has any better.

This place has been derelict for as long as I've been in Putney (2005), the hoardings seen here only went up a couple of weeks ago I think, and the sheeting more recently than that. By chance, today when I took my camera was also the first time that I've seen any equipment make an appearance, so I guess this is really happening soon

image hosted on flickr

131-133 Upper Richmond Road ready for demolition by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

131-133 Upper Richmond Road ready for demolition by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Between the two previous sites is 113 Upper Richmond Road, where a banner proclaims new apartments coming soon:

image hosted on flickr

113 Upper Richmond Road "before" by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Slightly cheeky since, as far as I can tell from the planning page, permission has not been granted, indeed there is quite a stack of objections.

Finally there's a mystery ramp going up at the station:

image hosted on flickr

Mystery ramp at Putney station by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

I know there was talk last year of adding a new entrance on Oxford Road (where I stood taking the pic, and where the ramp seems to be heading), but as far as I knew that was only talk? Googling suggests nothing about concrete plans, let alone funding and approval. The only work definitely mentioned as happening is adding a lift and remodelling the existence entrance. So where this ramp is heading I'm not sure, anyone know? That white truss thing is new since last I noticed, so I'm now thinking the ramp is just a temporary contstruction access thing, but constructing what?

My website

Vnofd5 liked this post
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #128
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 271

Good news for the Sainsbury's development in Vauxhall

http://www.propertyweek.com/news/new...049969.article

Quote:
Sainsbury’s, Barratt Developments and London & Quadrant are close to agreeing a 1m sq ft development in London’s Nine Elms Opportunity Area.

Property Week understands the housebuilder and housing association have attained “preferred bidder” status to buy and redevelop a Sainbury’s site on Wandsworth Road into a 1m sq ft scheme with around 750 homes. This is the trio’s second large-scale development project in London: six months ago, Sainsbury’s picked the pair to develop its £420m residential-led scheme at Fulham Wharf.

On both schemes, they are to develop full-sized supermarkets before proceeding with the more lucrative residential element of each scheme. This fits with Barratt’s strategy of using its development track record to win complex partnering projects.

The Nine Elms development, in the borough of Lambeth, is almost twice the size of Fulham Wharf, and has a projected value of as much as £800m, should the developer achieve a selling price of £800-£900/sq ft for the flats.

An existing detailed planning consent contains seven blocks with 18,700 sq ft of offices, an 80,000 sq ft supermarket, 3,000 sq ft of educational space and 7,900 sq ft of flexible use.

Separately, 671 homes will be developed in three tall buildings above and surrounding the supermarket, arranged over 19, 27, and 38 storeys respectively.
With Barratt involved I see this project happening quite quickly.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #129
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Ram Brewery

Another pic here:

From here: http://cjag.org/2013/01/25/ram-brewe.../#comment-2123

Last edited by LDN_EUROPE; February 18th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #130
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Balham, Wandsworth, needs your ideas!

Ideas wanted for a future Balham
Businesses & residents are invited to give their ideas on a number of schemes to improve Balham Town Centre. This is your chance to influence and shape your local area.

A public consultation event will be will be held on Saturday 23rd (11am to 4pm) & Sunday 24th (11am to 4pm) February in the Balham Community Space, Bedford Hill (next to Sainsbury’s Car park).

Wandsworth Council and The Balham Partnership secured £1.9million from the Mayor of London’s Outer London Fund Round 2 (OLF2) programme and match funding to encourage people to explore, enjoy and invest in Balham town centre.

The funding will be spent on a series of local projects including:
Installing Legible London wayfinding signage in the town centre & producing a new pocket map
Improving the town centre website www.balham.com (including a new interactive map)
Improvements to the railway bridge over Balham High Road
Pedestrian improvements to Hildreth Street
Improvements to the Balham community space
Upgrades to the Post Office forecourt on Balham High Road
Public artwork on an unsightly wall on Balham High Road overlooking Waitrose car park
A programme of cultural and business events
Exploring development opportunities close to Balham Station

The consultation event will be themed around an “Ideas Balloon for Balham”. Local people are invited to find out more about the project and will be encouraged to write their own ideas on helium balloons. When fixed to the basket, the ideas will help to project take off.

The design team will be on hand to answer any questions and performance artists will provide entertainment for children of all ages. The programme is supported by the Mayor of London.
The projects will be designed by the end of March 2013 and will be completed by March 2014.
For further information visit www.balham.com/OLF2
This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 12th, 2013 at 3:08 pm and is filed under Kim's News, OLF. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

http://www.balham.com/blog/?p=1854
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #131
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Double post.

Last edited by LDN_EUROPE; February 18th, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #132
stevekeiretsu

Discovered another angle of Osiers Road today

image hosted on flickr

Osiers Road u/c from Disraeli Rd by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

My website

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:46 PM   #133
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Proposed new Putney Exchange shopping centre front unveiled

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...ront_unveiled/
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #134
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Nine Elms

Last edited by LDN_EUROPE; March 10th, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:43 AM   #135
stevekeiretsu

Quote:
Proposed new Putney Exchange shopping centre front unveiled

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...ront_unveiled/
scaffolding is up

image hosted on flickr

Putney Exchange - scaffolding up by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

My website

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #136
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...in_Wandsworth/
Travelodge plan six new hotels in Putney, Roehampton and Wandsworth town

A budget accommodation company is hoping to open six new hotels in the borough.

Travelodge are looking for sites to develop in Battersea, Earlsfield and Nine Elms Lane.

They also want to open hotels in Putney, Roehampton and Wandsworth.

If the company can find suitable locations 140 jobs would be available, adding £14m to the economy.

Grant Hearn, chief executive, said: "Our three existing hotels in Wandsworth are performing strongly all year round.

"Whether it be business travellers, leisure customers or families coming to visit loved ones, we are regularly achieving high occupancy levels."
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #137
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

http://www.utilityweek.co.uk/news/ne...ea+gas+holders

National Grid gets green light to demolish Battersea gas holders

17 January 2013

National Grid has been given planning permission by Wandsworth Council to demolish four redundant gas holders next to Battersea Power Station.

The infrastructure, a prominent part of London's skyline, will be removed over the next 16 months starting in March.

The gas holders aren't listed and were decommissioned last year. National Grid wants to redevelop the 4.9 hectare site with a mix of new houses, shops, offices, leisure facilities and public open space.

The site is located at the western end of Nine Elms on the capital's South Bank - currently central London's biggest regeneration area.
Source: Utility Week
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #138
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...tney_building/ (there's an image on the link but I can't grab it using an iPad).

Work set to begin on 12-storey Upper Richmond Road Putney building

Construction work is set to begin on a £40m development in Putney's Upper Richmond Road.

Developer London Square will start work next month on a 12-storey "mixed-use" scheme of 76 flats above 19,000 sq ft of retail and office space.

The existing building, located at number 113 Upper Richmond Road opposite the Virgin Active gym, is set to be demolished.

Architect Allford Hall Monaghan Morris has designed a 12-storey brick-clad building which has now received full planning permission.

Last year the Putney Society objected to the proposals on the grounds that the building was too tall and "out of character" with the area, a lack of office space and the threat to mature trees planted on the site.
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #139
Vnofd5
Lord of the Cornish Pasty

Likes (Received): 249

Shame. I rather liked the old Putney Exchange entrance... the new one does nothing for me.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #140
stevekeiretsu

Quote:
http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...tney_building/ (there's an image on the link but I can't grab it using an iPad).

Work set to begin on 12-storey Upper Richmond Road Putney building

That certainly is going to be a pretty dramatic presence!

I posted this first "before" shot of it from Upper Richmond Road back in feb - the news of the approval prompted me to grab a "before" shot from the south today

image hosted on flickr

113 Upper Richmond Road "before" by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

113 Upper Richmond Road - before (from south) by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

My website

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: