daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #2181
ielag

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Is Burkle really looking seriously at both the Sacramento Kings and football or hockey or basketball in LA? I would say no, but let's see.
Yeah wouldn't make much sense (and against NBA rules) since AEG has an ownership stake in the Lakers. Wonder if he'd sell AEG's remaining % of the Lakers to S-S?

Surprised that Roski hasn't gotten a group together since he's business partners already with Anschutz. Especially since he's investing into the new UNLV dome stadium, which would fit in quite nicely in the AEG portfolio.
ielag no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:08 AM   #2182
pesto

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by ielag View Post
Yeah wouldn't make much sense (and against NBA rules) since AEG has an ownership stake in the Lakers. Wonder if he'd sell AEG's remaining % of the Lakers to S-S?

Surprised that Roski hasn't gotten a group together since he's business partners already with Anschutz. Especially since he's investing into the new UNLV dome stadium, which would fit in quite nicely in the AEG portfolio.
Well, remember that S-S is richer and more liquid than Burkle.

The only deals of Burkle's that I have been associated with are food related (not counting small minority positions or investments that were primarily loans). Neither is much interested in arena management or tour promotion I would guess, so Goldman Sachs might be packaging those pieces for re-sale.

Maybe Burkle takes the NBA Kings and Galaxy; S-S increases his Lakers position and gets the NHL Kings and Farmer's and does a deal with Kroenke?

Last edited by pesto; February 3rd, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #2183
jbradway

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Well, remember that S-S is richer and more liquid than Burkle.

The only deals of Burkle's that I have been associated with are food related (not counting small minority positions or investments that were primarily loans). Neither is much interested in arena management or tour promotion I would guess, so Goldman Sachs might be packaging those pieces for re-sale.

Maybe Burkle takes the NBA Kings and Galaxy; S-S increases his Lakers position and gets the NHL Kings and Farmer's and does a deal with Kroenke?
Burkle bought AGI last year.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...rnational.html

So he's been interested in entertainment promotions.

And at Consol Energy Center, part of the deal to build the Penguins new arena had a provision for him to develop 28 acres adjacent to the arena. So what his is trying to do with the NBA Kings is pretty similar. The site is owned by one of his partners, JMA Ventures.
jbradway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:29 PM   #2184
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
Burkle bought AGI last year.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...rnational.html

So he's been interested in entertainment promotions.

And at Consol Energy Center, part of the deal to build the Penguins new arena had a provision for him to develop 28 acres adjacent to the arena. So what his is trying to do with the NBA Kings is pretty similar. The site is owned by one of his partners, JMA Ventures.
That makes sense; grocery stores ties in with land usage and development.

I have to admit I have never heard of AGI but it is the same industry. It would be funny to see them "take over" AEG, who is a giant.
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #2185
raymondleone

Likes (Received): 2

QATARI SPORTS INVESTMENTS INTERESTED IN AEG? @00:54 of video

raymondleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #2186
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 468

slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #2187
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondleone View Post
QATARI SPORTS INVESTMENTS INTERESTED IN AEG? @00:54 of video

Well, they say that elephants like peanuts.

The Qataris have how many hundred billion? And the Galaxy are worth maybe 100M? Can't be worth more than PSG, can they?

A little strange to bid 8B for AEG to get that size of a piece of it. But I imagine that they wouldn't mind some of the other assets as well.
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2188
pesto

Off subject, but speaking of football and soccer I didn't know whether to cry or admire the man when Goodell was inteviewed about whether the NFL has a future. When asked about traumatic brain injury, he quickly said he would let his sons play football (if he had any) but that he is very worried about his daughters playing soccer.

At least no one asked him if the team moving to LA would rename themselves the Blackouts or the Mighty Goofies.
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2189
will101

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
Off subject, but speaking of football and soccer I didn't know whether to cry or admire the man when Goodell was inteviewed about whether the NFL has a future. When asked about traumatic brain injury, he quickly said he would let his sons play football (if he had any) but that he is very worried about his daughters playing soccer.

At least no one asked him if the team moving to LA would rename themselves the Blackouts or the Mighty Goofies.
I'm convinced that Roger Goodell has been taking stupid lessons from the master himself, Bud Selig.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #2190
JJG

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
I'm convinced that Roger Goodell has been taking stupid lessons from the master himself, Bud Selig.
Is it sad that I could actually believe that?
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #2191
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Is it sad that I could actually believe that?
It's not sad that you believe it. It's sad that it is true.

JJG liked this post
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #2192
pesto

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...rd-jones-dome/

http://www.krcu.org/post/nixon-mo-se...w-rams-stadium

Meanwhile, Gov. Nixon of Missouri hints pretty clearly that the state will contribute to a new stadium for the Rams, hyping the tourism gains and noting that they are still paying off the Jones Dome and it makes it a bad investment to have it empty.

Or, if you prefer, he adamantly refuses to consider funding for a new stadium.

Sound like the guv has a future in politics.
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #2193
will101

Quote:
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...rd-jones-dome/

http://www.krcu.org/post/nixon-mo-se...w-rams-stadium

Meanwhile, Gov. Nixon of Missouri hints pretty clearly that the state will contribute to a new stadium for the Rams, hyping the tourism gains and noting that they are still paying off the Jones Dome and it makes it a bad investment to have it empty.

Or, if you prefer, he adamantly refuses to consider funding for a new stadium.

Sound like the guv has a future in politics.
Making statements that go both ways? Still a rare trick. I'm impressed.
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #2194
Lakeland

Likes (Received): 10026

Would the LA fan base support an NFL team with no ties to the city? I get the feeling that if its not the Rams, Raiders or Chargers it could be a situation like the Bobcats in Charlotte. Sure its an NFL team but, most people are already fans of previous teams and they would have a hard time getting behind the LA Jaguars or some expansion team. Seems to me like the Rams are a perfect fit, followed by the Raiders. Also, I've read rumors that the NFL would prefer two teams, NFC and AFC teams (like the Jets and Giants at MetLife) to share the new stadium.
Lakeland está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #2195
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland View Post
Would the LA fan base support an NFL team with no ties to the city? I get the feeling that if its not the Rams, Raiders or Chargers it could be a situation like the Bobcats in Charlotte. Sure its an NFL team but, most people are already fans of previous teams and they would have a hard time getting behind the LA Jaguars or some expansion team. Seems to me like the Rams are a perfect fit, followed by the Raiders. Also, I've read rumors that the NFL would prefer two teams, NFC and AFC teams (like the Jets and Giants at MetLife) to share the new stadium.
Good question. Certainly the 3 you mention would be quicker to get absorbed into the local mindset. But a solid PR effort, the right coach, special fan events, etc., should sell out the season tickets and boxes that will constitute the bulk of the seats. I believe Roski said that he was about 10 times over-subscribed for season tickets in Industry (of course, this was before you had to put any money down) and the LA and OC demographic (small business owners; wealthy; retired; sports lovers) is perfect for picking up a couple of season tickets to the new hot show in town.

The NFL has talked about 2 teams, but I think that's really going to be a function of who buys AEG. No one seems interested in playing in someone else's stadium and all the bidders can come up with a billion or two on their own (Qatar, Guggenheim, S-S, Ellison, Goldman, Westfield, etc.) and so can Kroenke. The Chargers and Raiders might need to share if they cane as a package.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2196
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland View Post
I never knew that the Panthers swapped names with their NBA counterpart . You might want to add the NBA part in there so that people who don't follow sports won't get confused.

As for your argument, I would have to disagree about the fan support argument. As Los Angeles managed to do it successfully with the Minnesota Lakers and Brooklyn Dodgers when they moved to the city of angels, as well as San Francisco with the New York Giants -MLB-.

I have a hard time believing that the NFL would allow something similar to New York happen in Los Angeles, I have an even harder time believing they would allow two teams to move to L.A. Keep in mind that their history when it comes to American football teams is pretty shaky at best
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #2197
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Keep in mind that their history when it comes to American football teams is pretty shaky at best
Shaky at best?

The Rams, throughout their history in L.A., were among the league leaders in attendance.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #2198
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 170

Ya exactly. LA teams are among the tops in attendance for almost every team.

Lakers have sold out for god knows how many years
Clippers - Have a 70 game plus sell out streak
Kings - If it werent for two games last year that barely missed, they would have a 75 + game streak of sell outs
Dodgers - ALWAYS top 5 in attendance, most attended sports team in history
Angels - Have been in the top 5 for 10 years now
USC F - Averages over 80,000 a game every year
UCLA - Averages over 65,000 a game every year
UCLA Basketball - Over 10,000 a game
LA Galaxy - First or second for the entire history of the MLS

Only laggers are the Ducks, Chivas and USC basketball
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #2199
BigB1967

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Ya exactly. LA teams are among the tops in attendance for almost every team.

Lakers have sold out for god knows how many years
Clippers - Have a 70 game plus sell out streak
Kings - If it werent for two games last year that barely missed, they would have a 75 + game streak of sell outs
Dodgers - ALWAYS top 5 in attendance, most attended sports team in history
Angels - Have been in the top 5 for 10 years now
USC F - Averages over 80,000 a game every year
UCLA - Averages over 65,000 a game every year
UCLA Basketball - Over 10,000 a game
LA Galaxy - First or second for the entire history of the MLS

Only laggers are the Ducks, Chivas and USC basketball
No doubt your statistics are right ..... but ....... there is a reason that both the Rams and Raiders left in 1995.

Perhaps what you stated above is actually part of the problem. There is ALOT to do in Southern California and there are many different ways to spend money on sports. Throw in concerts, theatre, the beach and theme parks and you see my point. This doesn't even address the problem of a whole generation growing up with no local team, that has been free to pick and choose (and watch) their favorites from around the country.

I'm not saying that two NFL teams wouldn't work in LA, but I don't think that it's a slam dunk either.
BigB1967 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #2200
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB1967 View Post
No doubt your statistics are right ..... but ....... there is a reason that both the Rams and Raiders left in 1995.

Perhaps what you stated above is actually part of the problem. There is ALOT to do in Southern California and there are many different ways to spend money on sports. Throw in concerts, theatre, the beach and theme parks and you see my point. This doesn't even address the problem of a whole generation growing up with no local team, that has been free to pick and choose (and watch) their favorites from around the country.

I'm not saying that two NFL teams wouldn't work in LA, but I don't think that it's a slam dunk either.
Oh, good, somebody has raised the issue of why the Rams and Raiders left. This is usually good for a few heated posts.

ryebreadraz liked this post

Tags
los angeles