daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:51 AM   #21
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

Likes (Received): 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefearon View Post
I think this is a great idea. As an atheist I would love to have a place to meditate on life the Universe and everything.
Your sentence would work equally well without the words "As an atheist", though.

Sponsored Links

Old January 31st, 2012, 01:48 PM   #22
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Your sentence would work equally well without the words "As an atheist", though.
Not really. I can't go to CERN and meditate, too noisy. I don't want to meditate in a Church or other religious place as I won't be surrounded by likeminded people.

But a temple to atheism would be prefect. I will be able to meet likeminded people in a place designed to give quiet reflection about life. A quiet reflection which can't be achieved in the office, lab, pub, IT group, Humanism society group etc.

People have complained by saying why don't they spend the money helping education etc. This misses the point. Myself, and I'm sure other atheists want a temple. Temple does not equal reflection to 'God'. Temple equals a place for reflection whether with or without god.
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:02 PM   #23
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

Likes (Received): 429

Quote:
Not really. I can't go to CERN and meditate, too noisy. I don't want to meditate in a Church or other religious place as I won't be surrounded by likeminded people.

But a temple to atheism would be prefect. I will be able to meet likeminded people in a place designed to give quiet reflection about life. A quiet reflection which can't be achieved in the office, lab, pub, IT group, Humanism society group etc.

People have complained by saying why don't they spend the money helping education etc. This misses the point. Myself, and I'm sure other atheists want a temple. Temple does not equal reflection to 'God'. Temple equals a place for reflection whether with or without god.
Then you completely miss the point. All that "atheist" means is "without religion" - it's a pretty poor label for identifying people with a like mind to you at the end of the day.

Some atheists like to contemplate philosophy and/or science. Some don't, and equally, plenty of theists do.

Some atheists relish quiet reflection. Some don't, and equally, lots and lots of theists do.

Calling this proposed structure a "Temple to Atheism" simply reinforces the stereotype that all "atheists" are Richard Dawkin's New Model Army, and the fallacy that "atheism's just another religion at the end of the day"...
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:18 PM   #24
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 272

Ridiculous idea, with Richard Dawkins on this. Such a building would only give ammunition to the theistic idiots who label atheism as a religion itself. No thanks.
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:29 PM   #25
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Then you completely miss the point. All that "atheist" means is "without religion" - it's a pretty poor label for identifying people with a like mind to you at the end of the day.

Some atheists like to contemplate philosophy and/or science. Some don't, and equally, plenty of theists do.

Some atheists relish quiet reflection. Some don't, and equally, lots and lots of theists do.

Calling this proposed structure a "Temple to Atheism" simply reinforces the stereotype that all "atheists" are Richard Dawkin's New Model Army, and the fallacy that "atheism's just another religion at the end of the day"...

Richard Dakin’s opposites this. And Atheism/Agnosticismis a 'religion' in my opinion.
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:41 PM   #26
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Quote:
Richard Dakin’s opposites this. And Atheism/Agnosticismis a 'religion' in my opinion.
You’re committing the fallacy of assuming all atheists are the same or like you. Atheism, by its very definition, is simply the lack of belief in a deity. That is not a religion. There is no entity that atheists commonly worship, indeed there is no common ‘belief’, there’s no church or establishment, no rituals or prescribed writings, no anointed leaders or founder, no tradition or symbols- just what do you propose ‘atheism’ shares with religious institutions in labelling it as such?
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:55 PM   #27
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 203

A temple of peace and quietness is a great idea. A "temple of atheism" is a ridiculous idea. Look how many quasi- philosophers this thread alone has produced.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:01 AM   #28
Butcher

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiman View Post
Ridiculous idea, with Richard Dawkins on this. Such a building would only give ammunition to the theistic idiots who label atheism as a religion itself. No thanks.
So Richard Dawkins doesn't want something cool built because it will undermine his arguments?

Instead of being atheistic, it should celebrate the wonders of the universe and make it open to anyone who wants to use it.

When I walk through the shadow of the valley of death
I will fear no evil, cause I'm the biggest son of a bitch in the valley!

Best of Britain
Butcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:30 PM   #29
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Quote:
So Richard Dawkins doesn't want something cool built because it will undermine his arguments?
No, he doesn't think it should be built because such a 'temple to atheism' is unnecessary. Atheism isn't a religion, or an organisation, or an institution.

Quote:
Instead of being atheistic, it should celebrate the wonders of the universe and make it open to anyone who wants to use it.
Then go to the science museum.
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:46 PM   #30
jdjones
Citizen Not Subject

Likes (Received): 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiman View Post

Then go to the science museum.
+1
jdjones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #31
NewParadigmAhead

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Atheism, by its very definition, is simply the lack of belief in a deity.
Can we stop derailing this topic with Dawkins-grade pseudophilosophy?

The epistemology behind atheism is not as simple as merely claiming that it is an "absence of belief" in something. It is actually very difficult to defend the idea, philosophically, that atheism is an empirically neutral or default epistemic state.

I strongly recommend that this discussion move to the linked video, or a more appropriate forum. For your definition of atheism, refer to any reputable, reference resource in philosophy. The Stanford is freely available online: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agnosticism/

Getting back on topic: Why bother building a "temple to atheism" when you have several dozen temples to atheism just a few hundred yards away in the City? "Domine Dirige Nos"? Right. More like "Pecunia nos dominat".

The Natural History Museum has a "Darwin Centre" which could also do the job. Shame that, noone ever visits it, given that it's tucked away in the corner of the building and showcases the mentally stimulating display of various species of lobster in formalin jars.

Last edited by NewParadigmAhead; February 4th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
NewParadigmAhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: