daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1
bluga
Inspire

Likes (Received): 1

SHANGHAI: New Deep-Water Container Port

YANGSHAN PORT DEVELOPMENT, CHINA

The People's Republic of China have taken the decision to build a new deep water port on Big and Little Yangshan Island. The Yangshan port project in Shanghai, China, is one of the largest port project currently under consideration in the world.

PROJECT RATIONALE

The Yangshan project was born after careful assessment of the suitability of the Shanghai port in relation to the forecast traffic growth and the growing use of new, bigger, third and fourth generation container ships.

The port of Shanghai has experienced an explosive growth rate, averaging 29% per year in the last three years. This growth was driven by accelerated export demand, which might gain another short term boost once China is accepted to the World Trade Organisation (WTO). The throughput for 2005, the year that Yangshan port is expected to become operational, is expected to reach 8.5 million TEUs.

Since Shanghai is located at the mouth of the Yangtze River, most of the goods that travel from the Yangtze River region both for import and export go through Shanghai Port. By the end of 1999, total cargo handling capacity at the Shanghai port was over 180 million tons and 4.21 million TEUs (Twenty foot Equivalent Unit). Yet Shanghai's port development has been constrained by two problems:

* The water depth of the Yangtze River estuary is only 7 metres, so third and fourth generation container ships can only come in and out freely at high tide.
* The water depth of the Huangpu River is only 7-8 metres and the river is also too narrow for large ships. Container ships cannot manoeuvre or turn freely.

The Shanghai Municipal Government (SMG) found that in the Yangshan Island the water is at least 15 metres deep, and fifth and sixth generation container ships can come and go freely. The area is a natural shelter from the typhoon belt.

PROJECT TIMESCALE

The starting date of the construction has not been announced yet. Official sources agree that the new port should be ready around 2005.

PROJECT CHARACTERISTICS

The project includes a 52 berth container terminal, located on a cluster of partially inhabited islands in Hangzhou Bay, south of Shanghai. In addition, the project includes a 32 km bridge to connect the islands to the closest on-shore point and a shore based terminal to accommodate auxiliary facilities that cannot fit on the small islands.

Because of the small size of the islands and their mountainous topography, construction of the terminal is costly and involves large amounts of reclamation work. The investment required for the first, five berth stages is about $2.8 billion and for the entire 52 berth complex $16-18 billion could be needed. The port will consist of three parts:

* A deep-water port area where fifty container berths will be built at the new deep water port area.
* A bridge 30 kilometres long will be built to connect Big Yangshan Island, Little Yangshan Island and the town of Luchaogang in Nanhui County, Shanghai. The bridge will be a fixed bridge which will have eight lanes and two high rise sections (one for 1,000 dwt vessels and the other for 5,000 dwt vessels) to accommodate Hangzhou Bay ships passing under the bridge.
* A new port city at the Luchaogang area will be built to facilitate the development of the new deep water port.

The total investment of the Phase I project will reach $ 1.8 billion. Phase I includes:

Five container berths that will be finished by 2005. The total handling capacity of the five new berths will be 2 million TEUs. A 32km long bridge with four lanes which will be completed by 2005.
bluga no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #2
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Holy moly. That looks huge. A 32km bridge, whoa.

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Childish King

Likes (Received): 0

what a ******* long bridge.........
Childish King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #4
SKYMTL

Wow!!!! That is one huge port
SKYMTL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #5
HK4EVER

Likes (Received):

AWESOME! Can we get a map of where it's located with respect to the Shanghai area?
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #6
bluga
Inspire

It's about an hour from SH.
bluga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #7
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

shanghai should use ningbo port...this is another project that is wasting chinese citizen's money......
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #8
HK4EVER

Likes (Received):

^ So what else is new...
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #9
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK4EVER
^ So what else is new...
LOL... anyways the article says it should be finished around 2005, but never said when in 2005. Does anybody know? It'd also be nice if we could get renderings of what the port would look like and also a map showing where Yangshan Island is...
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #10
sfan

Phase one will be completed by end of 2005.

There are photos taken on Feb 2:

http://xmwb.news365.com.cn/mj/t20050204_388441.htm

BTW, it is only one of huge projects in Shanghai. Others includes 700km expressway, 300km metro, several million-people class satellite towns, the Yangtze crossing, and the World Expo project etc.
sfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #11
sfan

This is the official Donghai Bridge web site:

http://www.donghai-bridge.com.cn/

The bridge is one of three major components of the project. The others are the port itself and the Lucao New Down, a planned million population satellite city.
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #12
sfan

The new down is at 75km southeast of Shanghai. Here are two satellite images showing newly claimed land (about 33 km2) and a circlular lake in the new town. You can also see a light white line to right bottom, which is the bridge over sea.

Old February 5th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #13
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Likes (Received): 6

Uhoh, now I remember seeing this thing from the plane when I came to Shanghai last september.
I wondered what it was, it looked so huge
Thanks for the images, sfan :-)
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #14
magz

Satellite Map:
You can clearly see the 32.5km long bridge and the new satellite city -- Luchao city(the circle is a lake called Dishui lake).

magz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #15
magz

Shanghai Harbour City (Luchao city or Lingang City)
Area: 297 square kilometers
Population: 800,000+ by 2020

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #16
magz

Planform of Dishui Lake (around 2.5km in diameter)

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #17
magz

Shanghai Yangshan Deep-water container port (Phase I)

2.2 Million TEU (Phase I)
will complete at the end of Oct.2005

25 Million TEU by 2020

Connected with Shanghai by Donghai Bridge:
32.5km in length
will complete at the end of Oct.2005

Old June 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #18
Dr. Dubai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

looks great IMO

that harbour city concept development is seriously great! when I'm growing up and I'm a adult I'll visit Shanghai and I can see all these things in reality
Dr. Dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #19
stadiumfuture
stadiumfuture

Likes (Received): 3

I go in September to Shanghai it like me an great city. An new york of an new era.
stadiumfuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #20
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1552

This projects are really amazing!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote