search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #1821
Darthpontiff

Likes (Received): 31

Skyscraping by Bradley Huchteman, on Flickr

17th Street by Justin.Taylor, on Flickr

IMG_7925 by David Danzig, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #1822
Dale

Likes (Received): 5502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadderdGlass View Post
If you have ever been to Nashville, the best part is driving into the city, it has one hell of a skyline for such short buildings.
... and I really like most of the many new highrises that are going to add to the skyline.

One thing: I'd like to see a few more added north of Broadway.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #1823
ariesjow

Likes (Received): 312

Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
... and I really like most of the many new highrises that are going to add to the skyline.

One thing: I'd like to see a few more added north of Broadway.
505, 5th + Broadway, Hyatt Regency, and Endeavor should all have a significant impact on Nashville's skyline north of Broadway. We'll start to see the Nashville skyline dramatically morph once all those and the other projects in SoBro and The Gulch rise. I'm anxious to see the 30-story SOM-designed office proposal and how it will affect Nashville's skyline.

rrtrauts liked this post
ariesjow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #1824
3Ironhead3

Likes (Received): 20

These are fantastic.Where they done with a drone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick22 View Post
Here are some of the Queen City.

Source:
https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/t...-day/?page=112

rrtrauts, rockinmoz, geometarkv liked this post
3Ironhead3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #1825
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3174

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ironhead3 View Post
These are fantastic.Where they done with a drone?

from www.tokyocamerastyle.com
Old January 31st, 2017, 02:46 AM   #1826
3Ironhead3

Likes (Received): 20

ROTFLMAO! That was awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
3Ironhead3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:48 AM   #1827
UrbanFarmer

Likes (Received): 52

They're not all "short" buildings. They're just not supertalls. Downtown, the Gulch and Midtown have at least 30 buildings between 250' and 550' with more on the way. When, not if, the supertalls start coming and the 3 areas merge together the city will have a hell of a skyline. Someone on another forum said they're on their way to becoming the Vancouver of the South. Whoa! What happened to the photos? Weird!
UrbanFarmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:03 AM   #1828
JorgiPorgi

Likes (Received): 103

Vancouver has a short but plentiful skyline. Why is Nashville seeing all this condo development? The city itself isn't growing as fast as some other southern cities. I know it's growing, but will the market become too saturated? Who is moving into these condos?
JorgiPorgi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:03 PM   #1829
ariesjow

Likes (Received): 312

Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgiPorgi View Post
Vancouver has a short but plentiful skyline. Why is Nashville seeing all this condo development? The city itself isn't growing as fast as some other southern cities. I know it's growing, but will the market become too saturated? Who is moving into these condos?
Nashville certainly isn't pulling in Austin numbers, but its current growth rate is as fast as Charlotte's. The core was never overbuilt pre-recession, so Nashville had a lot of catching up to do this decade as its popularity and growth increased.

It also has a strong core live/work/play mix compared to most of its regional peers with more emphasis on entertainment for the obvious reasons. Add a constant influx of young professional talent from all the local universities and a well-diversified economy, then one has a nice recipe for an increasingly vibrant core.

I do think we'll experience a slow down in residential announcements this year as the market absorbs everything under construction and in the pipeline. Many of the new announcements are hotel projects.

rockinmoz, shakman, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by ariesjow; February 2nd, 2017 at 06:12 PM.
ariesjow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:57 AM   #1830
Ant131531

Likes (Received): 772

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgiPorgi View Post
Be careful with city growth numbers. They can be misleading. For example, Charlotte is growing faster than Atlanta and Nashville in absolute numbers, but how much of that growth is in the lower density suburban areas of the city vs. the urban core especially considering it's has larger city proper in land area than Atlanta especially? Atlanta and Nashville are certainly growing faster than Charlotte in the urban core just in the amount of residential highrises are being built which shouldn't be a surprise for Atlanta considering it's a top 10 metro(top 4 in job growth in absolute numbers), but Nashville has a dynamic downtown area so I'm not surprised it's seeing a huge urban core boom.
Ant131531 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:05 AM   #1831
Ant131531

Midtown Atlanta

Downtown/Midtown Atlanta

Source: https://500px.com/photo/193614309/at...hussain-rashed

Last edited by Ant131531; February 3rd, 2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old February 4th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #1832
Rhodium

Likes (Received): 943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Be careful with city growth numbers. They can be misleading. For example, Charlotte is growing faster than Atlanta and Nashville in absolute numbers, but how much of that growth is in the lower density suburban areas of the city vs. the urban core especially considering it's has larger city proper in land area than Atlanta especially? Atlanta and Nashville are certainly growing faster than Charlotte in the urban core just in the amount of residential highrises are being built which shouldn't be a surprise for Atlanta considering it's a top 10 metro(top 4 in job growth in absolute numbers), but Nashville has a dynamic downtown area so I'm not surprised it's seeing a huge urban core boom.
Right now, I would say the residential boom is in South End. Though I have a feeling the boom might shift to Optimist Park and Noda (northeast of uptown). There are already thousands of apartments announced last fall with the anticipation of the light rail opening this summer.

Other residential units planned/under construction close by:
First Ward: 264
Second Ward: 1163
Third Ward: 993
Fourth Ward: 1066
Midtown: 1190

Listing of the developments in the area
http://www.charlottecentercity.org/w...Q3-For-Web.pdf

Last edited by Rhodium; February 4th, 2017 at 07:17 PM.
Rhodium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:00 PM   #1833
Ant131531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodium View Post
Right now, I would say the residential boom is in South End. Though I have a feeling the boom might shift to Optimist Park and Noda (northeast of uptown). There are already thousands of apartments announced last fall with the anticipation of the light rail opening this summer.

Other residential units planned/under construction close by:
First Ward: 264
Second Ward: 1163
Third Ward: 993
Fourth Ward: 1066
Midtown: 1190

Listing of the developments in the area
http://www.charlottecentercity.org/w...Q3-For-Web.pdf

Yeah I know that, but he was wondering why Nashville was getting so many highrise condos in it's downtown/midtown areas. My theory was that it currently has a more interesting downtown area than Charlotte does and that translates to an increased demand to live in downtown.
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #1834
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 72

Amazing photos all. Not sure about all the numbers but Charlotte's core is booming, especially the Southend area, that's just crazy. Raleigh and Durham are on deck, both cores are seeing significant investment and uptick.
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #1835
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Yeah I know that, but he was wondering why Nashville was getting so many highrise condos in it's downtown/midtown areas. My theory was that it currently has a more interesting downtown area than Charlotte does and that translates to an increased demand to live in downtown.
Interesting, thought mostly apartments were being built in most of these cities and not condos. Be interesting to see how they all stack up against each other....and wonder when the demand for condos will return.
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #1836
Rhodium

Quote:
And I was responding to the "how much of that growth is in the lower density suburban areas of the city vs. the urban core". A lot of the developments is just outside of uptown. Uptown is quite vibrant imo. Even when I work late into the night, there are tons of people out and about.

I think Nashville is a pretty cool place, visited 5 times last year. Most of the people in the downtown area are tourists though. But more and more millennials are moving there, a trend in the Southeast, and they prefer to live near the urban core. So I understand the large amount of proposed highrises.

Similarly, Charlotte also has a lot of millennials. It ranks as top city in young-adult population growth. But it is cheaper to build/live near the light rail and catch a train to uptown. That's my theory.
Old February 4th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #1837
Rhodium

Oh and I am soooo jealous of Nashville's downtown monthly parking rate....
Old February 5th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #1838
Dale

Quote:
Oh and I am soooo jealous of Nashville's downtown monthly parking rate....
Nashvillians envy our light rail and street cars. On the other hand, they don't have the traffic congestion that we do.
Old February 5th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #1839
Rhodium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Nashvillians envy our light rail and street cars. On the other hand, they don't have the traffic congestion that we do.
Not sure about that. Nashville has terrible traffic too, especially around their downtown area. Whenever there's an accident on the highway, everything seems to shut down. My friends, who live in Smyrna, would make me meet them somewhere outside of downtown b/c they don't want to deal with the traffic headache.

If Charlotte ever gets the airport line built, I might consider taking the train to work. Even though uptown has like a gazillion parking decks, they are still expensive. I pay 1.6x more than colleagues in Nashville. Man I need a raise!
Old February 6th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #1840
Dale

Quote:
Not sure about that. Nashville has terrible traffic too, especially around their downtown area. Whenever there's an accident on the highway, everything seems to shut down. My friends, who live in Smyrna, would make me meet them somewhere outside of downtown b/c they don't want to deal with the traffic headache.

If Charlotte ever gets the airport line built, I might consider taking the train to work. Even though uptown has like a gazillion parking decks, they are still expensive. I pay 1.6x more than colleagues in Nashville. Man I need a raise!
I've spent a pretty good bit of time in Nashville. And I zip around all day and observe little congestion. Even Nashvillians who pine for light rail, like we have, admit that our congestion is considerably worse.

Tags
atlanta, augusta, birmingham, charleston, charlotte, columbia, columbus, durham, jackson, jacksonville, knoxville, lexington, little rock, louisville, memphis, mobile, nashville, new orleans, norfolk, oklahoma city, raleigh, richmond, southeast skylines, tulsa, virginia beach