search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Florida

Florida Welcome to the sunshine state!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:11 PM   #41
SkyDiveJunkee

Likes (Received): 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by loureed
The Dems in California released a report about how the Sex Ed. material of some districts included universally true facts like;

HIV can be transferred by rubbing against another through sweat.

1/2 of gay young men have HIV.
When was this? 1980 when West Hollywood was in a state of fear about the AIDS breakout? Back then republicans were unheard of in CA. Here is what I found online about California sex education:

"Students get sex-ed without parents OK

The California state Assembly passed a controversial bill yesterday allowing public schools to teach and survey students on sexual topics without written parental permission.

The legislation permits parents to sign a form at the beginning of the year to "opt out" of any sessions to which they object. But Republican opponents charge the bill is a ploy by Democrats to erode the rights of parents, who should be asked for permission to "opt in" as the current law stipulates.

Randy Thomasson, executive director of Campaign for California Families, says SB 71, which passed 44-31 on a virtual party-line vote, violates "the indescribable bond between a parent and child."

"How is it that written parental permission is required before a child can go on a field trip but no parental permission will be required before children are led on sexual mind trips about losing their virginity, masturbation, homosexuality and cross-dressing?" Thomasson asked.

The bill returns to the Senate for approval of revisions then goes to the desk of Gov. Gray Davis, who has promised to sign it.

Source: WorldNetDaily, September 10, 2003

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
SkyDiveJunkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:24 PM   #42
Dale

Likes (Received): 5502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDiveJunkee
I am? I live in Massachusetts.

Respond with meaning or just ignore my comments.
It's simply a quaint, outmoded, worn out, well-refuted argument that has religion opposed to logic, Republicans using fear and Democrats not, Republicans moralizing and Democrats not, and Republicans ostricizing and Democrats not, and on and on.

Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:26 PM   #43
Dale

Likes (Received): 5502

And what does living in Massachusetts have to do with anything ? Is another caricature in the making ?

Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:31 PM   #44
SkyDiveJunkee

I'll let you understand that as you see fit.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:36 PM   #45
smiley

Likes (Received): 564

Quote:
smiley, wouldn't you say its good to have the option of both? Its still surprising how behind Florida can be considering our population. Luckily things are on the fast track all over.
Well, sure, we have both, but you said:

Quote:
The city is slowly urbanizing with numerous condos being built downtown, people are slowly getting more sophisicated while embracing sushi and tapas restaurants.
which imples that tapas are somehow sophisticated or an indicia of sophistication.

As for republicans being Puritanical or Provincial, as with all groups there are provincial people and dogmatic people as well as people who well thought out views and tolerate different views - just like on this forum.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.

smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:52 PM   #46
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

^

It's a generalization that Republicans are puritanical and provincial.

Generalizations are fine as long as you don't apply them to a new Republican you meet over the weekend.

The Reps got the rural vote. They aren't exactly the most traveled and tolerant of different lifestyles people in the world.

@Agent Orange.

I'm really fond of Manchester because London IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE CITY IN THE WORLD!!!!

If I were to live in Europe. I would only live in England, and London is too expensive and hectic. Manchester isn't too far away, and I can take trips to cities all over Europe by rail. I really like the projects they are planning that I saw on Caw123's thread. The Smiths and Joy Division came from there. It's a happening city.

loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:55 PM   #47
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
When was this? 1980 when West Hollywood was in a state of fear about the AIDS breakout? Back then republicans were unheard of in CA. Here is what I found online about California sex education:

"Students get sex-ed without parents OK

The California state Assembly passed a controversial bill yesterday allowing public schools to teach and survey students on sexual topics without written parental permission.

The legislation permits parents to sign a form at the beginning of the year to "opt out" of any sessions to which they object. But Republican opponents charge the bill is a ploy by Democrats to erode the rights of parents, who should be asked for permission to "opt in" as the current law stipulates.

Randy Thomasson, executive director of Campaign for California Families, says SB 71, which passed 44-31 on a virtual party-line vote, violates "the indescribable bond between a parent and child."

"How is it that written parental permission is required before a child can go on a field trip but no parental permission will be required before children are led on sexual mind trips about losing their virginity, masturbation, homosexuality and cross-dressing?" Thomasson asked.

The bill returns to the Senate for approval of revisions then goes to the desk of Gov. Gray Davis, who has promised to sign it.

Source: WorldNetDaily, September 10, 2003
I heard on CNN yesterday. I was being sarcastic with my post --> "Universally true". It just to show how ridiculous conservatives can get even with something as important as sex education.

The Dems released a report criticizing the program.

loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 12:31 AM   #48
jzquince69
jimmy

Likes (Received): 1783

LOOK. TAMPA will be much cooler once they finish the I-275/I-4 Interchange and road widening. What's been there up until now has been more backwards assed than- anything I can think of. Tampa's ok. International Plaza is nice. there's a lot of new projects. the trolley is cool. Give tampa some time.

jzquince69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 01:48 AM   #49
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

If you dudes want to ramble on about politics, start a thread in the SKybar, and keep this crud out of my lovely Florida forum please.

btw, the replacement for Malfunction Junction will continue to suck... Big reason for this is that there is still only one lane linking S-I275 to E-I4... The traffic get horrifically clogged on south I275 as folks jockey and dick around, trying to squeeze into that one lane flyover to I4... I am utterly ASTONISHED that they are spending 9 figures on that junction, yet nobody was intelligent enough to provide a two lane flyover linking two perpetually congested interstates.... And to top it off, it's the same situation for anyone going from westbound I4 to northbound I275... Again, just ONE LANE, which gets clogged to a standstill in the rushes... The worst part to me is that the speed of traffic basically goes from 60-80mph to 10-30mph is short order, and has caused numerous wrecks already...The design of the new junction will clearly continue to suck. (and what happens in a few years when the express link is made between the Selmon and I-4? The traffic flowing from I-275 to I4 will only increase, as thousands more drivers going from north county to south county (and vice versa) use the junction and new connector)

The sad part is that there won't be any money to rebuild this new cluster**** until at least 2025-2035.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #50
SkyDiveJunkee

Jasonhouse, if you don't want this sort of discussion in here, i'd suggest you delete this "What's wrong with Tampa" thread all together.

Old December 4th, 2004, 03:32 AM   #51
logybogy

Likes (Received): 269

Hillsborough County is becoming very aggressive in going after the Scripps Research Insititue.

This would be an enormous boom if they somehow manage to steal it from Palm Beach County.

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGB8H3CU92E.html

logybogy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #52
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Jasonhouse, if you don't want this sort of discussion in here, i'd suggest you delete this "What's wrong with Tampa" thread all together.

????

The thread is fine... The hijack of it with political infighting isn't.
Old December 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #53
Hisma

Likes (Received): 36

damn, I had no idea Tampa was trying to chase scripps. In the end the running came down to Orlando & Palm Beach, with Palm Beach winning it handily, supposedly.
Now with all the environmental issues unfurled with this project scripps has almost completely haulted. In that time there were orlandosentinel articles talking about how they were trying to coax them back. Now Tampa is in the mix as well. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out. Who knows, maybe they just end up saying "screw it" & pull out back to La Jolla :p

Hisma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #54
SkyDiveJunkee

If Tampa or Orlando were to get it, that would be positive for the WHOLE Central Florida region.

Old December 4th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #55
smiley

I doubt tampa will get it though there is the land.

As for the interstate, I noticed today the huge sound walls going up north of I-4 in ybor. They are massive.

I don't think we'll be able to tell how bad the upgrade to malfunction junction is until they finish the I-4 stuff. What I fail to understand about Florida is why they widen roads away from the cities and then work on the bottlenecks - guaranteeing years of torment. It would seem to me you fix the bottleneck first and widen going out from the urban area, but I am no bureaucrat
I contain multitudes.

Old December 4th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #56
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 23819

Quote:
If Tampa or Orlando were to get it, that would be positive for the WHOLE Central Florida region.

So what...if West Palm gets it, that would be postive for the WHOLE South Florida region!.

streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #57
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I saw those walls on my commute home yesterday as well Smiley... Normally I drive throught there and it is dark. I saw it yesterday and literally got distracted. The road is WIDE, and those walls are HUGE.
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #58
Renkinjutsushi
死神

Likes (Received): 3

IMO Tampa is an okay city, mostly because I have lived here since I was seven (I used to live in Philippines). The only problems that I concern myself about is the worsening traffic and the education system.

Other than that, the people seem nice; most of my friends are Republican and seem to tolerate my Left leaning moderate views including my anti-bush and anti-war stance (most likely is because I live in Pinellas county but my friends come from Republican states), also people I encounter on stores/public places at the most only stare at my Che Guevara shirt that I wear which is okay for me since I like the attention .

Renkinjutsushi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #59
logybogy

Likes (Received): 269

LOL, you need to come down to Miami and wear that T-shirt in Little Havana.

logybogy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 06:00 AM   #60
smiley

I was going to say, the people staring at you may just be Cubans. You may want to reconsider wearing it - especially if you go to West Tampa - (don't try to park in a yard if you go to a Bucs game)
I contain multitudes.