search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Florida

Florida Welcome to the sunshine state!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #61
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Che?

yikes!

My #1 gripe about this area isn't the roads, it's that people keep thinking that to improve our transit infrastructure, that we must build more and bigger roads.

ROADS ARE NOT THE ANSWER TO ANYTHING.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #62
jzquince69
jimmy

Likes (Received): 1783

Roads Are The Answer To Everything.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
jzquince69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #63
Renkinjutsushi
死神

Likes (Received): 3

Roads are not the answer especially in Pinellas county, where undeveloped space is already decresing and that the widening construction is making traffic worse. We need a subway so my mom wouldn't always nag to me about using up gas to go places.

Renkinjutsushi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #64
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

A subway isn't practical, but a LRT that can go from at-grade to above grade (or monorail) would be great.
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #65
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

im surprised its taken tampa so long to get mass transit,in the form of a train system

The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #66
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

With Tampa, the only option I see is BRT with attractive buses people would want to use, more densification, and maybe commuter rail???

I dunno what's with this new freeway they are building. Why can't people just pay 75 cents and go on the Crosstown Expressway?

loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #67
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

The new freeway is a double decking of the Crosstown which will be a toll road.

Tampa's Interstate sytem is being rebuilt basically in its entirety, because it has needed to be for well over a decade.
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #68
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

Is the Crosstown overburdened??

loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #69
jzquince69
jimmy

Likes (Received): 1783

OK, so I guess we should tell FDOT to halt all improvements to the I-4/I-275 Interchange and then unpave at least TWO LANES each way on I-4 in unincorporated Hillsborough County, and while they're at it, demolish 1/2 of the I-275 bridge to Pinellas county, BECAUSE NEW AND WIDENED ROADS ARE NOT THE ANSWER.

The PROS:

1. Extra traffic lanes
2. Improved turn lanes; Bus stop egress lanes
3. Expanded utility lines and removal of traffic light cables
4. Addition of concrete sidewalks for pedestrian traffic
5. Overall aesthetic improvement that is the first step in the DE-WHITE-TRASHING of many parts of Pinellas and Hillsborough.

The CONS:

1. A city that does NOT look like WHITE TRASH BACKWARDS ASSED because of the obvious.

Oh yeah, Lets tear down the SUNSHINE SKYWAY BRIDGE too and replace it with the old one.

jzquince69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #70
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

what the heck is your problem?

Clearly you don't understand that once a city hits a certain level of density and property value, that road widening actually becomes increasingly less cost effective than other options. In fact, a city can quite easily get to the point where road widening actually becomes infeasible because of the cost of land aquisition alone. This is why roads are rarely widened anymore in larger cities with high property values. And when they are, get you get unGodly costs, like those from Boston's Big Dig.

There ARE other options besides endless road widening, you know.
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #71
SkyDiveJunkee

Likes (Received): 1163

^and even with Bostons BigDig, they did not widen the roads, they submerged them and provided LESS exits downtown so things would run smoother. And a significant part of that project was the airport tunnel, which includes the new Silver Line.

SkyDiveJunkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #72
SChristopher

Likes (Received): 4

Sorry to bring this back, but I was just reading it and something caught my eye.

The beaches in Tampa dont have waves? Just not huge ones? Or is it standing water like those in South Mississippi.

SChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #73
tonyff67

Likes (Received): 19

The waves are just very small. I would guess 2 or 3 ft on average. Nothing you can body surf in.

tonyff67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #74
John F

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
Isn't Florida something like 48th in the country for education?

IMO, the problem with Florida is that it's still run by the Republican slanted "good ole boy network"...
The "Good ole boy" network is on both sides of the political spectrum. They are just corrupt individuals with power and money who know how to manipulate the system to their advantage.

These are the southern aristocrats who do what they can to prove themselves to be anything but aristocrats in the eyes of the voters and then start tellign the voters that they know what the people want better than the people do.

But back to the point, there are enough "good ole boys" in that network on both sides of the political line. Democrats? Republicans? It doesn't matter. They are both equally guilty of having members in that pompous-ass good ole netowrk.

John F no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #75
TPAnative76

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loureed
I find that those who grew up in Tampa want to get the hell out, and Northerners are like, "Oh, the weather and beaches are so nice."
I was born and raised in Tampa, went to King high school, graduated from USF. I've no desire to get the hell out. Due to work I travel a great deal, and while it's nice to experience new cities, it's always nice to come home.

TPAnative76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #76
smiley

Likes (Received): 564

Nothing that is not wrong with most other palces in Florida - If my memory serves me correctly, Orlando voted down rail and even road money last year (or the year before) and Sarasota - that urban oasis - just killed a potentially free right of way for rail - and how about everywhere but Miami and a little bit Ft. LAuderdale - sure Jax has the skythingy and will get Bus transit - which is cool - actually Jax may be the most forward thinking city in Florida, oddly for all its "good ole boy" reputation.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.

smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #77
skit
'_'

Likes (Received): 1

I dont know why people say Florida has the worst education. What's wrong with colleges such as USF, UF, UCF and FSU. Most of my friends, who are Tampa natives go to these colleges, only the really really smart go out of state. As for rednecks, they live in different parts then the other people. You wont find them in New Tampa and West Tampa and places like that.

skit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #78
Hisma

Likes (Received): 36

I think they're talking in terms of public education, ie the public school system.
I can attest to the horrible quality... from elementary all the way through high school I had at least 1 class in a portable. I also rememberr the high school football coach teaching a math class... he spent more time flirting with the young gals than actually teaching.

Hisma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #79
TPAnative76

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skit
I dont know why people say Florida has the worst education. What's wrong with colleges such as USF, UF, UCF and FSU. Most of my friends, who are Tampa natives go to these colleges, only the really really smart go out of state. As for rednecks, they live in different parts then the other people. You wont find them in New Tampa and West Tampa and places like that.
While no Einstein, but a bit smarter than the average Joe (or so I like to think), i'm doing rather well with my degree from USF. Some of my brilliant friends went to USF. They were "smart" enough to realize out-of-state tuition was a ripoff.

Last edited by TPAnative76; April 17th, 2005 at 01:56 AM.
TPAnative76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #80
grapkoski

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skit
As a student of a private school, I can say that the problem with those schools for many is that they are too regional and have become more paper millish than actual Universities. I think what Florida needs is to have more private Universities open or have some of the older universities in the north open campuses down here in the south. It would be pretty cool to have a Harvard - Tampa (and no HCC is not Harvard, but it is the best college on Dale Mabry). Also, by regional, I mean that nationwide those degrees are not as readily accepted versus say Harvard (well not the best example) or even Boston University.

Before leaving the public school system, I attended Essrig Elementary (Carrollwod, that evil suburban area) and I have to say that I was lucky enough to have classes in the main building with 49 other classmates... 49!!!! The FCAT while new at the time, was a huge waste and really tells nothing about what we truly know.

grapkoski no está en línea   Reply With Quote