search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Florida

Florida Welcome to the sunshine state!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #81
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 155

^Kind of a condescending post concerning public universities. There are only a handful of institutions with the kind of notariety of Harvard, and that will probably always be the case. However, that doesn't mean that our state public institutions don't have any top-rated programs or that they aren't putting out good products with the ability to be hired by top agencies/firms/companies/etc.

But, anyway, back on Tampa...or the Tampa Bay area as a whole...

I attended a documentary screening today for students of the Documentary production program here at UF presenting their terminal projects. One of the films follows a fledgling theatre company in Tampa. From the film, one could see that dispite the growth in wealth in the region, the metro still has such a laid-back, "blue-collar" feel to it and lacks the pretentiosness, cultural appreciation and diverse night/social scene one would expect to find in a region this large.

I wonder how many luxury condo towers and lofts in DTs and exclusive exurban subdivisions have to be developed before we see some real signs of "big-city pretentiousness", a big-city cultural scene and a truly diverse night/social scence. I actually like a little pretentiousness, for example: feeling like I have to have to dress up when I go out to a club or like I have to look/act like I "have it together" at all times. But, maybe it's that laid-back, blue-collar feel that draws people to the area. (shrugs)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jahi98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:33 PM   #82
Tiger Beer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddAlert
"moved here from Phoenix, I've been here for about 5 months and I can't wait to leave this place. Tampa is dirty, and the roads are some of the worse I've ever seen. Its narrow, and they need to repave every single street. Freeway system is aweful too. Looking at crime rates, a city that is by far smaller than Phoenix, it has more murder than Phoenix.
There are beaches in St. Pete, Clearwater etc. but unless you are 60 you are not going to enjoy these waveless beaches. Honestly do not move or come here, this place is aweful. This place is only an upgrade if you are coming from Anartica."

"My best memory of Tampa will be when I leave it. I have never spent a more useless 2 years of my life in one place, ever. From the hillbillies eating fried chicken and barbecue to the facist cops putting up cameras in Ybor City, I can't wait for the next climactic change to raise sea level and inundate the whole goddam state. It would be no loss to humanity"

Signed proudly,
Carl Olsen

these are some things I found about Tampa on a travel site (http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/bacc2/a/23b8/) I was wondering what your opinions on Tampa are. Ive been there 3 times and I really liked it there. Only complaints I had was the crime (which didnt affect me), it was touristy,the downtown was too "glassy", and there were a large bum population. I liked it there, and even considered living there and going to school. The city was beautiful from what I saw, especially the cruise ship dock area lol. Just curious to what you Southerners think about Tampa?
BTW--I found Clearwater Beach a very pleasant beach, although too touristy.
How could a person from Phoenix (without beaches) complain about the size of the waves of a city that does have beaches?

Tiger Beer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 02:02 AM   #83
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddAlert
"moved here from Phoenix, I've been here for about 5 months and I can't wait to leave this place. Tampa is dirty, and the roads are some of the worse I've ever seen. Its narrow, and they need to repave every single street. Freeway system is aweful too. Looking at crime rates, a city that is by far smaller than Phoenix, it has more murder than Phoenix.
There are beaches in St. Pete, Clearwater etc. but unless you are 60 you are not going to enjoy these waveless beaches. Honestly do not move or come here, this place is aweful. This place is only an upgrade if you are coming from Anartica."

"My best memory of Tampa will be when I leave it. I have never spent a more useless 2 years of my life in one place, ever. From the hillbillies eating fried chicken and barbecue to the facist cops putting up cameras in Ybor City, I can't wait for the next climactic change to raise sea level and inundate the whole goddam state. It would be no loss to humanity"

Signed proudly,
Carl Olsen

these are some things I found about Tampa on a travel site (http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/bacc2/a/23b8/) I was wondering what your opinions on Tampa are. Ive been there 3 times and I really liked it there. Only complaints I had was the crime (which didnt affect me), it was touristy,the downtown was too "glassy", and there were a large bum population. I liked it there, and even considered living there and going to school. The city was beautiful from what I saw, especially the cruise ship dock area lol. Just curious to what you Southerners think about Tampa?
BTW--I found Clearwater Beach a very pleasant beach, although too touristy.
Yes Parts of Tampa are dirty you have been here 5 months you wouldnt even want to set foot in Tampa in the 90's back when it was really ghetto and the crime there was through the roof same could be said about St.Petersburg where i grew up it takes time and its come a long way.

I dont know how you say the beaches are for old people when i almost never see more than a few when i go to the beach infact i mostly see middle age people and teens and kids i guess its netter in the dirty phoenix lakes right? And yes all lakes with boats in it are dirty or polluted.

Yes the roads suck in Tampa which makes me glad to live in Pinellas which is cleaner and better than Tampa except for the downtown, airport, and new suburbs but overall it isnt that bad and as for the red neck thing well like people have said we're a southern city but we dont really have that many red necks please i dare you to go inland where red neck heaven is complete with mobile home parks and everything else. And as for the bums if you think Tampa has alot then you have had a sheltered life.

As for downtown its not too glassy i think phoenix is glassier and the downtown has less life in it and phoenix is one of the nations fastest growing cities. Phoenix is a nice city but its all brand new, clean, and mostly suburban and yes Tampa has some grit which i like i think it puts character into a city and besides the desert scenery the only draw to it is mostly cheap housing. Enough bashing Phoenix its a great city but not better than Tampa Bay i grew up in Tampa Bay and the one time i moved away from it for a year to a bigger, more modern city and i missed it so much and i couldnt be happier to be back i have alot of pride in the bay area i mean look at my nickname but some things you said were rude and stupid.

And you said you have never spent a more useless 2 years of my life in one place you said that you have only lived here 5 months i bet you havent made many friends either and this sounds like bs cause you said 5 months than 2 years choose one but since you chose to bash Tampa, the whole bay area, and the state, please get out of here quickly, we have many more people who love it here and will love it here in the future when they get here well glad i got that off my chest i hate whiners they piss me off, its simple next time move out and shut up.
Quote:
But, maybe it's that laid-back, blue-collar feel that draws people to the area. (shrugs)
Would you rather people be uptight, stuck up, and rude like cities that arent laid-back uh ill take the laid back.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; November 3rd, 2005 at 02:10 AM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:41 AM   #84
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

hehehehe

Carl Olsen is the name of the man who did my reclaimed water hookup.

loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #85
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl
Would you rather people be uptight, stuck up, and rude like cities that arent laid-back uh ill take the laid back.
I like the laid back feel of the area. The more I talk to people, the more I hear that's what they like about Tampa Bay. I do think the area could stand a little more sophistication, a little more culture. However, I love my hometown, and plan to more back there in a few years.

Jahi98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 06:20 AM   #86
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 945

This

TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #87
Tampa813
King Of Tampa

Likes (Received): 3

I've been living in Tampa for a year now and the more I learn about it, the more I like it. I like the fact that Tampa is a chill city, we hyave fun but know how to kick back and chill. I'd much rater take the laid-back atmosphere of Tampa than a uptight, pushy and rude metropolis. I plan on spending the next 10, 20 and 30 years here.

Tampa813 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #88
BhamLover

Likes (Received): 2

I liked Tampa, but to each their own. I probably wouldnt live there. It's a nice place to visit and have a vacation home. My roommate is from there and he hates Auburn and think its full of rednecks, but I didnt see that much difference from alabama (some parts) to Tampa. What shoudl I tell him about his state.

BhamLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #89
USAsoccer

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
Those are complete DINOs, like that Zell Miller freak in Georgia.
Native of Tampa, who lived in Arizona for almost three years, so I guess I am qualified to answer a question or two...

1) The GOP took over the State in 1998, when JEB was elected as the second "true" GOP governor since reconstruction (Claude Kirk- not really a Republican- and the former Democrat Mayor of Tampa turned GOP Martinez)

The legislature became Republican, I believe in 1994, but Walkin Lawton was still the Democrat Governor.

In any case, the GOP has been running the State since 98, so blaming the GOP for things like poor public school/education is pretty stupid, since it takes a lot longer than just 8 years to fix 100 years of Democrat neglect...

2) The state does not rank 48th in education.

In fact, go to this website and you will see in interesting trend...

http://www.morganquitno.com/edpri05.htm

Under Jeb, we have moved from 47th in K-12th grade education to 36th in terms of overall public school education from 2001-2005. Coincidently, this occurred during the time FCAT was involved. Teachers don't like accountability because everyone likes to get paid, but not have to justify said pay through results.

As for comparing one state with another, it is absolutely stupid to use things like money spent on schools, especially when the cost of living in New York dwarfs that of Gainesville. Of course the Bronx is going to spend more on schools, but would you want to send your kid to a school in the Bronx?

Washington D.C. spends twice as much as Florida on each student (over approx $11,000) D.C. ranks 51st in every category of achievement. The worse schools in the U.S. spend the most money...so money is not always the answer as the Teacher unions would have you believe. Neither is class size, but that is an entirely different discussion.

In short, the FCAT is helping to rise student achievement, in part because it is forcing a lot of poor teachers to perform to some minimum standard of competence.

Furthermore, Florida's Public Universities are considered one of the best education values in the country. For the amount of tuition one pays, you would be hard pressed to do better than the U of F or FSU...

So enough of the politics.

3) As for Phoenix...what can one say about average July/Aug temps in the 110's. Crime is slightly higher, in terms of property crimes, in Phoenix, then in Hillsborough County. This occurs, in part, due to a REAL gang problem, and also due to the large illegal (transient) immigrant population, which some estimate is nearly 200,000 people in the Phoenix area alone...Drugs are a problem, but they are problem for any city.

In terms of things to do, well, the bars close at 1 am (State Law). There is Tempe, but it is no Ybor City, or South Tampa for that matter. After a while, you miss the color Green. All the Mountains that you can see around town are barren. The closet beach is a long ways away...but you can ski in Flagstaff.

There are a lot of things to do outdoors, which is the best reason to live in Arizona...but we have lots of outdoor things to do here as well.

They have all the same sporting activities we do, plus Arizona State...

But the original poster can have Phoenix...if he is upset at red necks, I'd tell him not to go to far south of Chandler...the miners/cowboys between there and Tucson can be pretty red!

Last edited by USAsoccer; April 24th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
USAsoccer no está en línea   Reply With Quote